TP300 Ultra Tremolo/Pan Review

6.8
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
TP300 Ultra Tremolo/Pan Reviewed by: BigMac23, on march 21, 2013

Purchased from: GAK

Ease of Use: This pedal, I suppose is fairly easy to use; depth and rate knobs to control the depth and speed of the tremolo or pan, mode selector (4 way), on/off stomp switch, two inputs, two outputs, a blue on/battery LED, and a rather cool red LED which flashes/pulses in time with the tremolo/pan. There are 4 modes: Saw wave trem (smooth glide), square wave trem (rapid, rough), and these settings for pan, which have the same effects, just you need to plug in an extra cable to another amp/line to get a stereo "panning" effect. However, when you use the panning with only 1 speaker, it has the same effect as tremolo. This is my first and only pedal (and first review), so I can't compare it to others. You can get a good sound out of it, a very good one for it's price. Works well on all settings. Can give you a light flutter, to a blink, to a rapid, soapy, rainy, full-on tremolo. I have only used it in pan mode once, as I only have 1 mono amp. When I used it with a second, it sounded good. As for the manual, err, it was pretty mediocre. I'll admit, I do like to read the manuals, not just for instructions (sad, eh?), so I was a bit disappointed when I saw very basic and raw info. A decent first impression. // 7

Sound: As previously stated, it sounds pretty good. Not much noise; I am using my Westfield Strat clone - Stagg 10ft cable - TP300 - Fender 3ft cable - Vox Pathfinder 10. As my axe has un-shielded single-coils and I play next to a light on full, and an inactive radio, you would Imagine the hum to probably be unbearable. It is not too bad, but falls shy of recording standards. None of the settings really increase volume or gain, or treble etc, so not really too much hum. I haven't really heard any numbers that use tremolo, so I am just on my own to devise stuff with it. The effect, as I said, can vary dramatically from non-existent to mind-blowingly powerful. Good impression. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Although this box is humble plastic, it seems fairly durable. I had to buy a 9 volt battery separately, which is a shame. I probably will get an Electro-Harmonix The Worm, which seems good for it's price, and has a die-cast crate. I would say, with a fresh battery, I would gig with it, but unlikely, as I do not use tremolo that much, but when I get stereo speakers, I would use this dearly. Also, I unfortunately find the stomp switch irritatingly hard to activate. Meh, average, but it cost barely 20, so what, a golden 1 cm thick case? This is nothing interesting, or outstanding. // 6

Overall Impression: I play hard rock, psychedelic rock, prog, folk and some ambient, so this little box of a few tricks will subtly help with the psychedelic and prog side of things. I am thinking Interstellar Overdrive by the Pink Floyd for the panning part, definitely, but, as I said, I haven't really heard the tremolo effect much in music. I have been playing for around half a year, and when I used this pedal in the company of an acquaintance, he said that I should learn more stuff before getting fx. If you can write your own stuff, and you really think you need an effect, why not get it? Not an expensive one, but decent, is what I say. If this box was lost or stolen, I would be mildly cheesed off, if it was stolen, more cheesed off with the person, but as I said I want an EHX The Worm. It only has one mode for all fx, but a good deal for money. I will keep this pedal for the panning, but slightly for the tremolo: I'll dig this out when I get stereo speakers. This thing does its job. // 6

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ UM100 Ultra Metal 7.8 Guitar Effects 09/03/2014