TU300 Chromatic Tuner Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 05/20/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Behringer: TU300 Chromatic Tuner
The TU300 stomp box offers you a quick and easy way to tune your guitar. It gives you comprehensive tuning capabilities when you're on stage or in the studio.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.2
 Ease of Use: 9.2
 7.5
 8.8
 6.2
reviews (5) 23 comments vote for this gear:
TU300 Chromatic Tuner Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on december 09, 2008

Purchased from: zZounds

Ease of Use: The TU300 from Behringer is a very simple to use tuner pedal. The unit comes with a manual although I doubt anyone will need it. It has 7 different tuning modes, including Regular, Flat, Double Flat and Chromatic mode. There is also a separate section for the flat and double flat modes for guitar and bass. I have used this with both guitar and bass and it works great for both. // 10

Sound: I own a few different Ibanez guitars and a Peavey Windsor; for bass I own a Cort, Rogue, and a Dean with a Genz Benz amp. This pedal is fairly quiet, especially in the switching. However, once the note is registered, I notice a subtle hum especially when I'm playing on the Windsor. Nothing that is enough to offset the deal that I got on the pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've used this many times on gigs without a backup. One thing I've read on the web is that Behringer pedals are hell on batteries, but I use a One Sport adapter system so I don't have to worry about it. Also, the pedal is made from plastic. I don't think this will be a problem for anybody because unless you intend to throw this pedal around it should stand up for awhile. I keep mine in my pedalboard road-case so mine is still in great shape, even after a couple years of use. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal, but this pedal will work for any genre, bass or guitar. I would definitely buy this tuner pedal again if something happened to this one, especially at the price. I mean, a tuner is a tuner. For only paying $15 Brand New, and having it for 2 years and it's still going strong is enough for me to recommend it. // 10

TU300 Chromatic Tuner Reviewed by: hhr, on july 27, 2007

Ease of Use: This is the upgraded version of the TU100 tuner pedal that Behringer makes. It has 7 different tuning modes: chromatic, guitar, guitar flat, guitar double flat, bass, bass flat, and bass double flat. Very easy pedal to use for both guitar and bass, and the flat and double flat modes make it easy to tune down to alternate tunings. It also has a bypass output jack. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal in my guitar and bass rigs with no problems in either one. The pedal is noise free and very bright so you can see it very good in the dark. There is a digital display that displays the note/string and a light on either side to indicate sharp/flat. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As with all the other Behringer pedals I own, this one has proven to be worth the money. I haven't had any problems with this pedal and it is very reliable. Most people talk down on Behringer because of their plastic construction, but don't be fooled, these pedals are very well-built and strong. // 10

Overall Impression: If this pedal were lost or stolen, I would definitely buy another one just like it to replace it. For the budget guitarist, Behringer stomp boxes are the way to go. Low price does not mean low quality. I really like the chromatic tuner mode. You can use that mode to tune to any tuning lower than a whole step down, becasue the pedal only has a built-in mode for a whole step down. // 10

TU300 Chromatic Tuner Reviewed by: execution_666, on november 26, 2009

Purchased from: SameDayMusic

Ease of Use: Pretty easy to use. Run your instrument through one side and the other side goes to either another pedal or your amp. Click it on and GO. If you want to mute your signal while you tune run out of the "Out" output and if you don't mind the sound coming out of your amp, run out of the "Bypass" output. You shouldn't really need instructions, but there are some and they are in a lot of languages. // 10

Sound: While you can't really say anything about the "sound" of this pedal because it's a tuner, you can say things about how well it mutes your rig. It does the job well, I am able to tune in complete silence. I run this pedal before an Ibanez PD7 Phat-Hed and a Seymour Duncan Paranormal. It mutes just fine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: When activated, it does take a second or two for the note to read. This is a minor problem, but I wish it could read faster. It's also made out of plastic (good plastic, mind you), but this is not a problem to me like it would be to some. Then again, you can shell out $99 for a Boss TU-2. Also, I never run pedals with a battery. ALWAYS get some other source of power, preferably one that plugs into a wall. // 8

Overall Impression: GREAT pedal. I really wouldn't want to spend $79 more on a pedal that is the same but made out of metal. I will be running this thing for a very long time and I know it will last. If stolen or lost, I would buy another. I love that it's cheap and it gets the job done. I wish though it would tune faster. Buy it. // 9

TU300 Chromatic Tuner Reviewed by: EnthusiastSteve, on september 29, 2010

Purchased from: Blue Aran

Ease of Use: Easy enough to use, except for the highly irritating VERY VERY BRIGHT blue LED when you stamp it ON. I intend covering it with something as it is SO BRIGHT overhead planes crash with blinded pilots. The manual is tiny but useful enough once you throw away the 14 other copies in 73 different languages. The manual is essential to know how to change the freq of the Reference Tone, if you ever want to. // 8

Sound: I play a Westfield Les Paul copy, through a Marshall ASR50 combo(yes, I know that's for Acoustic instruments, but it was cheap, and it has Chorus, Reverb and anti-feedback notch filter & phase, and sounds great with a Behringer Tube Overdrive pedal). Sound? Not really applicable. On mute, it errrr mutes, and when not muted the sound seems to be bypassed straight through which s what you want. On high amp volume it doesn't seem to generate any additional hiss or hum. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Don't like the method used to hold the pedal which covers the battery, but intend to use it only with a mains adaptor anyway. Haven't had long enough to get a feel for dependability. Apart from that seems sturdy enough although plastic. Would use without backup at a gig because as an emergency measure I could always just use relative tuning. // 8

Overall Impression: I play rhythm - Rock, and Rock n Roll and have a go at Bon Jovi songs, occasionally some AC/DC etc. If this tuner were stolen would certainly buy again. Don't like the VERY VERY BRIGHT blue LED. LOVE the other LEDs, nice & visible. Great for stomping on to mute, allowing you to change guitars then immediately check tuning without audience hearing anything and without having to turn the amp down. // 9

TU300 Chromatic Tuner Reviewed by: stig354, on may 20, 2011

Ease of Use: Ok so its a chromatic tuner, fairly straight forward I guess plug in and go. Unless your a complete neanderthal you should be able to aptly work this one out. Just kidding there's more to it then that, everything is explained in the leaflet depending on whether your in chromatic mode or not. If in chromatic it will be the note shown is the note your playing. For sharps it has a dot after. So C# on the display would look like "C". It has several modes to choose from; chromatic, guitar (standard), (from standard), (from standard) and bass (standard). // 8

Sound: Ok so I seldom use this in my rig, mostly tune up then take it out of the rig but you can leave it in their if you wanted. It features a bypass so this could be left in without affecting tone but I choose not to. To my ears it does not add extra hum to the amp but my friends got one that adds plenty so his rig. Might be to do with amp quality or just hit on miss as to whether you get a good one or not. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Well... Behringer... Yeah. Ok seriously lets not judge a book by its cover, iv had mine 6 months, it works great and I simply could not go without it, specially usefull when tuning to alternate tunings. I use a power supply for all my power so cannot comment on how fast this pedal munches through batteries but if you gig it without fresh batteries... Not really the pedals fault is it? The housing is plastic and I'm fed up of people moaning about this fact. Its cheap and affordable and its not a pedal you stomp on all night, only once or twice so why does it matter? Also if your on a budget (student here) they just make so much sense. The ONLY issue as far as reliability goes is that sometimes it takes just a little to long to register what note I'm playing. // 5

Overall Impression: This pedal is great if you simply tune up with it and go. It does the job of all its expensive counter parts exactly the same. I wouldn't use Behringer for OD pedals ect but for something that I'll be using only to tune and not a key part of my rig this makes perfect sense. What would I change about it? 1) I'd send the pedal in a box, not in some thermal plastic like a toy. 2) The LED on the front is so freaking bright it can be difficult to see the read out. Oh and every person who bought it would recieve cake. To sum up then. Yeah there are pedals that would do the same job "better" but really how much varience can there be between tuners with the exception of accuracy? Sure you could by the Boss version or a Korg ect and no doubt love your product, but why spend extortionate amounts of money? If this was given to me and it was a Boss I'd feel guilty that someone had spent alot of money on it for me and I'd end up paying them. Ј60-Ј70 for a tuner. Stuff that. // 7

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ Feedback Destroyer Pro DSP1124P 9.5 Guitar Effects 07/17/2014