V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 08/11/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Behringer: V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification
32 amp and 15 speaker simulation models, high-resolution 24-bit stereo multi-effects processor, separate wah-wah and reverb effects, effective 3-band EQ with amp-model dependent characteristics.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.3
 Ease of Use: 8.1
 7.6
 7.9
 7.2
reviews (15) 13 comments vote for this gear:
V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2004

Purchased from: Guitar Center - Nahsua, NH

Ease of Use: I have had the V-AMP2 for about a month now, and have used it in many different setups, from project studio to practice to live gigs. I found the V-AMP2 to be quite simple to setup and and work with. The dials are pretty self-explanatory, and the manual is good for further explanation if necessary. The patches themselves did not stay long in their factory preset setup as I tweaked them to my liking - both for acoustic and electric guitars. However, the quality of the effects is quite good and I was very pleased with the sounds and sims the unit produced. The first thing I did before playing was to visit the website and check the latest upgrade (which I had) and to download some patches made by other V-AMP2 users (this can be done with a midi connection to your PC/MAC and was pretty easy to do). // 8

Sound: On stage, I use my V-AMP2 with a Gibson Les Paul, a Fender Telecaster, an Ibanez C500 electric/acoustic, a Dean 7-string electric, and an Alvarez Yairi DY75 acoustic with Dean Markley pickup. In studio, I route the V-AMP2 as an effect on the mixing board and have let it process guitars, vocals, and and bass. Take the time to setup your own sounds - the time taken will be well worth it. This unit is marketed to younger "garage-band" style players, so the "hard crunch" is a favorite in the factory preset lineup - with some patience and time, the effects can be tweaked tosound just the way you want and then some - the factory presets are still good, but I like to have a personal touch on anything I am using. The weakest effect on the unit which I can find (and is usual on many of these types of multi-effect pedals) is the "auto-wah" pedal effect. But then again, who wants a processor doing your wah for you? Get a wah pedal and use it with the V-AMP2 and things sound great again. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Here's the tricky bit - Behringer does not have a resounding name for "I stand up to years of abuse and never cease to function" type of equipment. The V-AMP2 is on the cheaper production side - light plastic body, plastic dials, plastic foot-pedal and soft-shell gig bag. This is not a unit that I would put under stressful situations such as being bashed against a wall, thumped about in frustration or buried underneath a speaker cabinet during loadout. The first thing I did was to find a hard-shell case for my V-AMP2, line it with foam and give the thing a soft place to live. I also do not abuse any of my gear, so not suprisingly, I get long life out of almost all my equipment. But still, I have only had it a month, so we shall see how the long run plays out. I do not bring it to gigs without a backup, but that's a principle I play with, not doubt reflected on the unit (I play each gig with at least 3 or 4 guitars - just in case). Sometimes that backup is the amp I am using itself, other times it is single pedals of the sounds I use most - a Tubescreamer, Flanger, Delay, Stereo Chorus and Overdrive. // 6

Overall Impression: This unit fits the styles I play most - alternative rock, reggea, soft industrial, blues, and classic rock for electric and acoustic guitars (add "folk" for acoustic). I have been playing for 15 years. My gear inventory is too long to mention here, but I will say that the V-AMP2 now finds its place among my list of "I like it 'cause it does its job" gear. I researched a lot of different multi-fx pedals before picking this up, so I felt I knew exactly what I was getting at purchase. If it were lost or stolen, I would probably Pick it up again. I like the multi-fx sims which really do hold up well, are not noisy, work well in studio and live, and complement the sound of my playing. I do not like the delay when switching between patches (reminds me of the cheaper Zoom pedals) but again, that's something that's going to happen with a price tag of $90 or so. My understanding is that the rack version is a little more heavy-duty and eliminates some of the more questionable areas of the V-AMP2. I do not like the lack of "on/off" switch - again, not a huge deal, just one of those things that make you scratch your head and say "You came this far, and then just stopped. " On the whole, I am pleased, it works well for what I do, and I would definitely recommend it to the guitarist who is a bit strapped for cash or is just getting into using a multi-effect pedal but doesn't want to sink a bunch of money into one in case it doesn't suit them(which was my scenario). I will probably upgrade to the rack-mounted version in the near future, but that's also a preference issue and not a reflection on the unit. Have fun with it! // 10

V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 01, 2003

Ease of Use: I have found this really easy to use. But it still is quite difficult at first. The amount of effects are brilliant for all types of standard ranging from auto-wah, phaser and delay effects. The manual is very helpful but you will need it if you want to get the best out of it. I believe that the product has been upgraded. // 8

Sound: The guitar I am using with it is a Encore, I'm not sure what model but I say that it is the cheapest available but I got it second hand from a friend, and the amp I am using is a watson xl10p guitar combo amp which is ten watt and it sounds very good. The only probelm I have with it is when the master volume is higher then the amp volume, the G and B string sound not right. It is probably because the wattage of the amp isn't very high. It is noisy but to me that isn't a problem. The effects are very good, and there are loads of different variations and types. I found it very easy to make it sound like my favourite artists (the offspring, sum 41) because of all the variations or effect types. I think all of the effects are very good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes, I would depend on this, it works well every time and i would use it at a gig without backup. The only thing really that would make this not work very well would be to have dodge leads that dont work very well. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly punk rock, but I also play metal, and some old rock n roll, and it is so versatile. I have been playing for over a year now, and using an encore electric guitar, watson amp. If it was stolen, i would defianatly buy it again. I love how many effects it has on it. I don't like that you don't have an effects box to go with it, all you have is a switch box where you have to program it all in and flick between the effects, but there is a pedal box available soon. I choose this one because I played on my guitar teachers and really enjoyed playing on it. I wish it came with an effects box. It really helps me make music. And i would definanlty recommend this to anyone no matter what standard they are at. // 10

V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification Reviewed by: juggalogreenday, on december 22, 2005

Ease of Use: This is the V-AMP 2. One of the main reasons I love it is how easy it is. The manual kind of sucks because it is for the V-Amp 2, V ampire and the V amp pro but they are all similar so I am not complaining. I don't think it sounds digital at all and the effects sond pretty decent. The distortion is where this unit shines. I love it, the clean is also very nice. The amp models are the awesome to! // 10

Sound: I use a Squier Strat and I run them through a Gorilla amp and a Kareoke Machine. It is stereo so I can plug it into to two amps. I don't think the effects sound digital at all and the effects sond pretty decent. The distortion is where this unit shines. I love it, the clean is also very nice. The amp models are the awesome to! It isn't really noisy on anything and has a built in noise gate. My favorite artists are everywhere from Green Day to Bon Jovi to Ozzy Osbourne and I can get them all I love this unit! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it and would ise it without a backup. It comes with a power supply to. It is built out of plastic though and I have already had a problem with the power supply but that was easily fixed. // 8

Overall Impression: It is a great match for me. I have been playing 2 years and I only own another distortion pedal. I can't really explain this, for the price it is awesome. I have played with the POD and the Pandora and this beat them both. I wish the didn't have such a weak power supply and I wish they had an option for batteries but other than that this blew me out of the water! // 9

V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 05, 2005

Purchased from: Aremus

Ease of Use: Its pretty easy to get very different sounds out of this processing unit. Even though I sometimes ask myself why they put two nearly identical amp presets into it. Editing the patches is done very easily and can be figured without the manual. The manual itself gives great ideas for presets and gives for beginners a clear outline what each knob does. The firmware can be updated through a midi channel. A sound card is rewuired for this. // 10

Sound: I'm using it with a Behringer Stratocaster copy and a Behringer V-108. These aren't really top of the line, to be exact before the sound was very very basic. But with this pedal I can get sounds I've never even dreamed of. The noisyness can be easily regulated through a noisegate. Some effects are better than others. I personally do not like the auto wah. I recommend buying an expression pedal or a seperate wah wah. The different distortions one can get with this pedal are amazing, everything from crunchy to pure Overdrive. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Behringer has done a great job redoing its image of making low quality products. The processing unit itself is made from aluminium and probably could stand a fall from 2 meters. The pedals can be jumped on without leaving as much as a scratch, overall the durability is high and it can be trusted to be used on a gig. // 8

Overall Impression: I mostly play punk to Grunge, this pedal can fit almost any type of music, the different modi and effects are so broad anyone could use it from jazz to deathmetal. A required material is though an expression pedal or a seperate wah wah, the auto wah-wah sometimes is good but especially when playing backing it is really hard to get a good wah sound. I primarily chose this product because all comparable ones are ranged from 280-400 which is way too expensive for a such a pedal I think. And Behringer definitely improved its quality, this pedal is definitely worth buying. An expression pedal should be included though. // 8

V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification Reviewed by: ekune26, on july 18, 2005

Purchased from: Docom Electronics

Ease of Use: I don't know how to explain it but you'l grow a bierd until you get what you want from it. The manual is useless. It refers to the V-amp, V-AMP2 and Vampire in the same time and its al confusing because you don't know where to look in the manual. For it's price is very dificult to use. // 4

Sound: I'm using a Harley Benton Les Paul look and a 30 watts Behringer amp at home / 30 watts Marshall at rehearsals. It is very noisy. Even with the noise gate at 15 (at 15 it has to be silent) it's noisy and has 0 sustain. The suposed distorsions are extremely noisy and wery weak. We made a tape at rehearsals. I could'nt believe that I sounded so horible. I am a guns n'roses fan and I love Slash's guitar parts but whit this pedal I could'nt get that sound. The auto wah is wery weak. The only efect I can be pleased of is the chorus. // 2

Reliability & Durability: Well I had some awful events whit it. It tends to turn itself of sometimes. The plastic body is not durable. I have to pay extra attention to my band mates so that they won't step on the pedal. I curently use it a gigs without a backup because I can't afford one. If I had another pedal I would use that for gigs. // 2

Overall Impression: I play hard rock/pop rock whit my band. This pedal is good for pop rock but for hard rock. I'm playing guitar for 3 years almost and this pedal is one of those bad perts of my music life. In the city I live in there is only one music store, I didn't had an alternative for other products. I really love the chorus. That's the only thing to be aplauded on this pedal, the rest is junk. I wish it had a good distorsion on it. // 6

V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification Reviewed by: willash, on november 14, 2005

Ease of Use: The V-Amp is quite easy to use, there are lots of different sounds which are all different styles. It is fairly easy to get a good sound out of it as it only has 2 settings. Amp and style. The manual doesn't really get any use as it is straight forward, and there is not loads of knobs and buttons which can get you confused! // 8

Sound: I am using this with a Epiphone SG amp and a Sound King 20watt. It is not noisy. The effects can be as strong as you like as there is a button ehich indicates how much effect you want on a certain setting. I usually go for the jimi hendrix style. There are great sounds for a Jimi Hendrix fan (as myself). All the effects are good, some are better than others but all are good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would say this V-Amp is dependable it hasnt broke on me yet. I have already used this on a gig and it worked great. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lots of styles of music and it works great for all of them. I have been playing for about 2 years and I own Epiphone SG, Sound King 20 watt amp, peavey 50 watt amp. If this were stolen I would probably buy it again. It also has a tuner to tune your guitar this is one of my favourite features. I also like tht it comes with a carry bag so it is really easy to take it places. The only thing I wish it had is a better variety of sounds as some sound the very similar to others which are on it. // 8

V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 16, 2003

Purchased from: John Bellone's London

Ease of Use: I love my new V-AMP2. The sound is great and it is so easy to use. The manuel is a great asset although I took about two minutes before I finally decided to hook it right up I was sooo excited. Anyway, the V-AMP2 can be upgraded for free at Behringer's website for the V-AMP2 ( I think it's www.Behringer.com/v-amp2) Best thing I've ever bought for my guitar. // 10

Sound: I have a Fender Strat (Mexican) and a Fender Amp. If you turn the V-AMP2 volume up higher than the amp volume, you're screwed. It's only noisy if you do that but that is probably the amp. The effects are GREAT and did I mention GREAT! I can get any sound I want and in total, I think I calculated with all the effects and amp types, there are 64, 000 sounds. Pretty amazing! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I depend on this for gigs and everything although I want to look for a gig amp. I would definitely use it without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk/rock and have been playing for 1.2 years. Great match for beginners and for people like Rush who have one also. If this was stolen, I would beg and beg for it back and proably buy it again. I wish it came with a midi pedal but oh well, you can't get everything. Shawn // 10

V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification Reviewed by: Shards, on january 18, 2005

Ease of Use: It's very easy to get a good sound out of this. There are so many tweakables, in some settings three seperate stages of EQ. Massive flexibility. They have far too few knobs for the amount of features, but they still did a good job making the less obvious tweaks accessable. Editing the settings is rediculously easy. You just punch in your sound and hold the preset button for a few seconds - viola. It's stored and accessable in a second or two via footswitch. There's a tiny little delay from patch to patch, but it's a modeler, not the ultimate stompbox. // 8

Sound: I'm using this thingie with an LTD VB-400, and run into a Tech21 Power Engine 60. With the active EMGs and the noise gate, it's virtually noiseless, and the tone of it is amazing. I'm blown away by it. I can't honestly comment on the authenticity of the sounds, but I do know they sound good. I don't like to cover other songs since I'm in a rut and trying to write my own stuff, but I know it can. The effects and amp models both sound great. In my opinion, the cab sims suck altogether, although I've had limited experience using it through direct recording or headphones. Effects sound great and are very tweakable. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have no clue. I haven't had it long enough. People say the casing is plastic but I've heard from more than one Behringer rep that it's a composite. Lots of people say it's cheap, but I've visited a lot of V-Amp online communities and never seen anything about a broken outer shell. The footswitch is made of metal; it's a tank. I'd use it at a gig, probably with no backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal. Been playing for a little over a year, and have owned a Marshall MG 30 DFX, a Tech21 Power Engine, a Fender Prodigy, an Epiphone Les Paul Jr, a Galveston Thingie guitar, a Hondo something or other Strat copy, and my current LTD VB-400. It made all of them sound great, 'nuff said. If it were lost or stolen I'd get another one. If it's not lost or stolen I'll get another one. I wish it had a freaking power switch. But it's usefulness far surpasses the annoyance of having to unplug and plug it back in. // 10

V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification Reviewed by: Greenday389, on november 20, 2006

Ease of Use: It's easy to get a lot of good sounds, but none of them are really great at all. The manual is very helpful. I admit it would be a little difficult to figure out some stuff about it. It is easy to see how much of what you but on on the knobs. Some of the stuff on this are a little confusing at times, which is very annoying because I don't like looking for the manual. // 7

Sound: I use my Dean Custom through this to my Peavey Rage 158. Some of the effects and amp models are noisy and some arn't. Some of the effects are weak some arn't. This effects processor doesn't have a good enough quality to copy artists in my opinion. The distortion is very bad on this, but atleast all those other effects do sound pretty good. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I would deffinatly bring a back up if I used it in a gig. This looks like it wouldn't stand a good fall at all. It is very light and feels like it only has a thin layer of plastic inbetween it and the wires and stuff. I would deffenitly not depend on this at a gig. // 2

Overall Impression: I play mostly classic rock and metal and this pedal doesn't meet my needs at all. I have been playing for 3 1/2 years. I own a Peavey Rage 158, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Dunlop Crybaby from Hell, and a Behringer Ultraroc GX110. If it was stolen I would deffinatly not buy a new one. It's just not worth the extra money. I love that it has so much stuff on it, but I hate that a lot of that stuff doesn't sound good. // 4

V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification Reviewed by: placebic, on february 16, 2007

Ease of Use: After owning my V-AMP2 for over a year and a half, I'd say it's been a great time. At first, I'd just mess with the presets because I've been so use to the plug & play style of guitar playing. There are some beautiful clean presets, as well as your crazy, gritty distortions, your bluesy wonders, a strange techno, thing, and what have you. Editing is very simple, and if someone else were to edit one of your settings for whatever reason for you, the manual'll let you know how to return to default and start from scratch. Speaking of which, the manual does a great job explaining features and their main perposes. I'd connect it to my computer and edit settings such as reverb speeds had I a midi-to-usb cable, but I can Live. When it comes to controlling the timing of your effects, there's a "tap" button you time it with, such as delay(which you can get quite a bit of David Gilmore lovin' out of), and that simply makes life difficult. You also use the tap button to use the amp\cabinets in red lettering, which takes getting use to. By the way, Who's idea was it to have dark red on blue, anyway? Overtime, it just becomes hard to see - way to anger the colorblind fellow, Behgringer. // 9

Sound: At first, all I'd want to use it with was mainly my Hamer Slammer (your basic strat knock off, but for heavier sounds) guitar and a pair of headphones or through my stereo, my Dean Markley Keyboard amp sounded too much like an alarm clock for me. After finding a Polytone Baby-Brute (II, IX, or V) amplifier, though, it was a match in single coil heaven. I now have a Fender Toronado GT to play it through, and it will roar my socks off. The noise gate I never seem to use much, since I don't mind the hums; Call me crazy, I just don't. There's really no such thing as a "weak setting" with this device, seeing that the master volume, for me, never has to go up all 8 ohms just to reach out to the neighbor's ears. The effects, though, are so so; the chorus just doesn't do it for me, But the flanger is alright. Auto Wah is just plain silly. The Compressor, Delay, Echo, and Phaser are all pretty fun to use. I can get a good U2, David Gilmore, Metallica, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Raised Fist, CCR, and pretty much anyone who'll use something from a Marshall to a Mesa Boogie or a Fender amp to a Vox. As for Dime Tone, that may be a tough call (pre and post Krank). But If you really want a Marshall sound, go with a Jackhammer JH-1. You will not be dissapointed, either way. The V-AMP2 just makes it more tube-like, in my opinion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have depended on this piece of equitpment for quite a long time, and it hasn't let me down. The power supply's lasted, no burnt-out lights out, no broken knobs, none of that; And especially, no shorts. it seems to withstand the elements, though I don't plan on testing it in the rain anytime soon. It is plastic, after all, so it's not worth playing catch with, either. Gig wise, I'd do it had it not been for one thing, when you switch from say, a clean setting to a nit and gritty setting or vise versa, there's a very small, yet noticible moment of latency\silence that just really makes you realize why this thing was a steal in the first place. Deffinately loses some "cool" points, there. There may be a download somewhere online that's capable of fixing that, but that'll require a MIDI cable of sorts. Otherwise, no backup is needed. // 9

Overall Impression: For the Rocker, Punk Rocker, Metal Head, Classic rocker, this should do the trick, especially if this'll be your first sound board. It works for what I do, and has inproved my playing, and bumped up my intrest in playing ALOT. I've been playing guitar for over 4 years now, and only about 2-3 years of it have been taken seriously. Other than my previously stated Polytone Amplifier, Hamer Slammer and Fender Toronado GT guitars, I own a Chrome Dunlop 535Q as well. If any of these, including the V-AMP2, were stolen, I'd do my best to get 'em back. Overall, it's extremely versatile for the $, it's a blast to use, And hopefully it won't get too overlooked farther into the future, like most good pieces of equiptment. I love the amount of tonal differentials I get from it, but hate the fact that there is no switch to power it off. // 9

V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 20, 2007

Purchased from: woodbrass.com

Ease of Use: I have had the unit for about 3 months now. The basic controls are easy to use, but some other "advanced" parameters may be not so intuitive. Do not expect to get the best sound of the unit without reading the manual and spending a few days experimenting with different settings. The factory presets are good to start with, but will not stay very long for most users. For firmware upgrades or to download patches from other users around in the internet you will need a midi interface in your PC, which I will have soon. // 7

Sound: I use the v-amp mostly at home with headphones. The unit has an input line, so that I can play with any backing track. Also use it with a Marshal valvestate 80. In both cases it is working grate. The factory presets may be very noisy at the beginnig, I had to adjust the noise gate for most of them. The distortion of all amp-simulations was really bad at the begining. After a few days I found the problem was in the setting of the input gain of the device. You will probably have to adjust 1this setting if you use high output pickups. Now all amp models sound really good. I can easily get the sound of Gary Moore, Santana or Steve Vai with different settings. The best effects are chorus, delay and flanger. The auto-wah is completely useless. The other are just OK. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The unit has just the rigth finish for its price. Do not expect to have what you have not paid for. You cannot put the unit under stressfull situations, but will work well enough if you take a little care of it. I would not leave it on the floor on stage, where someout could step onto it. // 7

Overall Impression: The V-AMP2 meets my style perfectly (blues, rock, heavy). It is really versatile and you could get a lot of different sounds from it, but not anyone. I love the distortions of most amp models, and I would buy in again if it were stolen. The v-amp is the best option for the price, you will not get so many different good sounds from any other product in this price range. // 9

V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification Reviewed by: thesmartguy50, on january 09, 2008

Ease of Use: The Behringer V-AMP2 is a really dynamic effects processor/amp modeler, and yet I was very proficient at developing tones within the first week of having it! The manual was a bit confusing (just because there was so much stuff, I suppose). However, the manual included a preset tones list, showing the number correspoding to such legendary tones as those of Stevie Ray Vaugh, David Gilmour, and John Petrucci. The V-AMP2 can't really be upgraded, but then, it hardly needs it. // 9

Sound: For recording, I have the guitar direct into the V-AMP2, and then I connect the V-AMP2 directly into a USB hub of a computer via a LightSnake Cable. I have only ever played Live once with the V-AMP2, and it sounded great! I had the V-AMP2 plugged into a Fender Super-50 [the latter set on a loud, clean tone]. It was very clear, with little to no background sound at all. Speaking of unwanted noise, it is rare to find it on the V-AMP2. When plugged directly into the computer, there is enough static discharge to create unwanted buzzing, but since you're recording anyway, noise reduction applications can take care of this. There is rarely any background noise when plugged into an amplifier, but for any that does present itself, the modeler has an adjustable noise gate! The distortion is fairly decent. You can get a wide variety of tones, and they are all editable to even the most minute of standards. The effects are alright; effects pedals would be a little better, but especially for the price, it's palatable. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I love the V-AMP2, but I will admit that it's just a blob of plastic. This makes it unsuitable for regular performances. At home, however, it is easily concealable for storing purposes, and plugs back in quite easily. I have dropped mine on occasion, and it plays all the better. It is more of a home recording Tool than anything; so no, I would never use this without a backup. // 6

Overall Impression: I play any style of music I can come up with an idea for, so the Behringer V-AMP2 is perfect for my needs. I've been playing for about two years, and I own very little in the way of equipment, but the V-AMP2 takes care of enough jobs in the studio to negate quite a few pedals I would buy anyway. There is nothing I regret about buying this product, and if it were stolen or lost, I would buy either the V-AMP2, or one of the later models. The thing I love most about the V-AMP2 is its compatibility with computer software. It's not too soft, and is easily adjustable without having to worry about screwing around with presets. I don't like that switching tones has the lag time it does; I would rather go from clean to distorted in an instant, you know? The funny thing is that I got this while I was looking for a DigiTech super-dee-duper pedal or whatever, the one that apparently falls apart over time. I was ready to put out 300$ for one of those, but I luckily gave the V-AMP2 a chance, and at a third of the price. This pedal is simply amazing. // 9

V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification Reviewed by: Lame-Joker, on may 07, 2009

Ease of Use: The V-Amp 2 is not too hard to manipulate, if you have a general idea of how to read and turn knobs. There are some finer points on editing that takes a bit longer to learn. There is plenty of room for patches, but I couldn't possibly use more than 5. There just aren't enough decent sounds for that. Ease of use, not bad, not good eaither. // 6

Sound: I use an Epiphone Dot and an Epiphone Les Paul, through a DigiTech Screamin' Blues, sometimes a Crybaby Wah, into an old amp called a Garnet. It's actually an under-company of Garnet. Swanky, I know. I have been playing for about 4 years now. I play old-school rock, blues, jazz, surf, 60's pop. Really anything from 1950-1980. Anyways, this pedal has it's pros and cons. The pros are that on the bypass setting (just using your amp, no simulation) the effects become somewhat usable. The delay is alright so far as digital delays go, and the chorus is pretty decent. I only use the thing for the reverb, as you can get some decent reverb sounds, with plenty of variety. The cons: the rest of it sucks. A lot. Presets are noisy, no really good Overdrive settings. It takes too long to get anything good by way of amp/speaker simulation. Points for bypass setting, dinged for being otherwise kinda crappy. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Well, it's made of cheapish plastic, so don't forget that this is NOT a stomp box (though sometimes you may feel like making it one). Sometimes after starting it up, it will forget all your presets, meaning you may need to reset everything right before a gig. I've been there and it kind of sucked. Not so great in this department either... // 4

Overall Impression: This covers a lot of bases, so it could theoretically match any style of music, so long as you don't need it to be particularly good. This is not bad if you just want a cheap multi-effects processor. It certainly has options, it just doesn't have the quality to back them up. Better luck next time Behringer. // 5

V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification Reviewed by: TuxFriend, on february 18, 2010

Price paid: € 35

Purchased from: Huuto.Net

Ease of Use: I got my V-AMP2 from an internet auction and have been using it for almost a year. It is very easy to use and the manual contains lots of useful information about various setups and settings. It also came with its own gig bag, which is a nice inclusion. I also like the foot pedal a lot. // 10

Sound: The V-AMP2 can produce a wide range of different sounds and effects. My opinion is a bit mixed, because the effects are very, very good and so are the clean and some of the distorted sounds, but on the other hand it is hard to get a good extreme metal distorted sound out of it. There is a bit of noise as well, but not too much. I can get a good sound for playing My Dying Bride, Dire Straits, Nirvana and some other bands, but mostly the distorted sounds appear weak. One of the best features is that with the pre-amp bypass, you can use the V-AMP2 as a dedicated effects pedal with your guitar amp. And it does an excellent job at this. There are a lot of great effects and they sound good. Some of the guitars I've used my V-AMP2 with, include: Ibanez XPT700, ESP LTD M-50, Epiphone SG Prophecy Custom EX ME and Behringer iAxe 393. The funny thing is that the cheapest of them all, the iAxe 393 actually sounded the best with this unit. The most negative aspect of the sound is, however, the 1 second delay you get when switching sounds (like from clean to distorted with the foot pedal). This is probably a real showstopper for any kind of professional playing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The unit itself is very reliable and I could without a doubt use it for live playing as well, but purely as an effects pedal, though. The noise could be a problem, though. Some people might be also suspicious about the plastic case and its durability in live use. // 9

Overall Impression: I like many of the sounds and love the effects the V-AMP2 provides. The foot pedal is great to have and the unit looks fantastic with all the LEDs flashing. I wish it had better distorted sound selection and I hate the 1 second delay when switching sounds. Sometimes you just need a quick switch from clean to distorted and back (hence the foot pedal, after all!) and this delay is very annoying. If my V-AMP2 was stolen or lost, I wouldn't get it again, since the V-AMP3 is out already. I think I'd probably consider getting that because of the great effects, but I'd also try out other stuff before rushing out to buy it. I bought my V-AMP2 mainly because of the price and a broad range of features and for the price I paid, it more than delivers. // 8

V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification Reviewed by: fastlanestoner, on august 11, 2010

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend

Ease of Use: It is very easy and straightforward to use. Just dial in your sound. This unit is an amazing songwriting tool and can definitely be passable in a studio setting. I have used this live and recorded with it. There is some feedback when playing live, I've given up on that all together. When you click record this baby really shines. There are better, but for the money you can't go wrong. // 8

Sound: The sound is really where this baby starts to work. While the effects are very weak, the amp models sound pretty effing good and you can get a variety of tones. The effects can be used for flavor but don't expect anything more than a songwriting tool from them. I've recorded with the amp models and while I would much rather have my tube 100 cranked, I get a great sound and my neighbors don't bitch. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have the desktop "pod" clone and it is made of only plastic. I've used it live and in the studio and it's taken the normal amount of wear and tear. Years and years of plugging and unplugging that stupid power supply (my biggest complaint with the unit) and it still soldiers on. I've spilled coffee, beer, etc. On it and it just comes back for more. // 10

Overall Impression: I can't even remember how long I've had this unit, and even though you must unplug the power EVERY time you turn it on and off it is still working as well as the day I got it. It is made of only plastic and if you take the normal amount of care with it it should last you a while. The amp models sound GREAT, the effects and cab models sound pretty thin and weak. Just set it to a 412 and forget it. // 8

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ X V-AMP 7.1 Guitar Effects 12/19/2014