X V-AMP Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 05/08/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Behringer: X V-AMP
The X V-AMP is a floor-based unit not only featuring the best V-AMP models of celebrated guitar amplifiers and speakers, but also providing the most desirable stomp box simulations combined with a multi-mode expression pedal.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.8
 Ease of Use: 8.1
 7.4
 6.6
reviews (22) pictures (2) 36 comments vote for this gear:
X V-AMP Reviewed by: FrenchyFungus, on october 10, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: Wow, a monkey could use this. And it couldn't, the manual couldn't possibly be clearer. Only one problem, the manual only comes in human languages. // 10

Sound: Perfect, even my unbranded Strat sounds good. The noise gate eradicates all unwanted noise, so thats not a problem. The expression pedal can be used to control wah wah, volume, gain and effect intensity. All effects are brilliant, and there is a great variety of amp simulations, including an acoustic one and a bypass option. Just for the fun of it, I'm gonna write down all the effects this has: volume, noise gate, gain, wah wah, auto wah, p-funkn, pitch bend (think Seven Nation Army) rotary, phaser, flanger, tremolo, chorus, reverb, delay. Each with near endless different possibilities. I can get everything I wanted from this, Kurt Cobain, Jack White, Josh Homme, Slash, Brad Delson, Jimmy Page. Also has a chromatic tuner. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Only possible weakness is the plastic pedals, and even they seem solid enough. // 9

Overall Impression: Perfect, and amazing value. Stolen? Buy another one! I honestly don't know how something this could can be so cheap. I tried out the similiar DigiTech and Zoom models, but this has them licked hands(or paws) down. Also tried a fancier, much pricier Korg model, but just could not justify the 200 difference. // 10

X V-AMP Reviewed by: ndfcartman, on december 28, 2005

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Ease of Use: This is very easy to use, I was messing with it before I read the manual, then I skimmed through it and messed with it some more and got even better sound out of it. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Behringer GM108, Ibanez RG370, Ibanez GRX-20, and a Behringer HB01 Wah. This has a built in noise gate, so no, it is not noisy. The effects on this sound excellent, I can get a wide variety of sounds, I play Blink 182, Rage Against The Machine, Mudvayne, Disturbed, Chevelle, Metallica, Linkin Park, Blue Oyster Cult, Jimi Hendrix, Ozzy Osbourne, The Offspring, Deftones, Rammstein, AC/DC. I like most of the effects on this, but the Wah is weak. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is by far the worst part of the product, it is not dependable, Behringer has been good to me, but they really let me down with this. Some of the problems I've had are that the expression pedal stopped working, the banks have a lag between them, and the banks would reset while I was playing. // 4

Overall Impression: I play a wide variety of Rock, Metal, and I dabble with Blues, it would suit all of these, and more, if it would be more reliable! I've been playing for a year and 3 months, I own a Behringer GM108, Behringer HB01 Hell Babe Wah, Ibanez RG370, and Ibanez GRX-20. I wish I had taken the durability into consideration, it's made out of plastic, but that hasn't cracked, it's more of the electronics of it that worry me. If it was stolen, I wouldn't bother. I love the sound, I hate that it isn't realiable, I like all the different modulations and other effects I could experiment with. I compared this to the DigiTech RP's, but I heard that the expression pedal stopped working, so I went with this, but the expression pedal on this stopped working! I just wish it was reliable! Luckily, I bought the Gold Coverage for this, so I'll see what mf can do for me, then I'll let friends use this when I jam with them. // 6

X V-AMP Reviewed by: guitar_mad_ali, on april 24, 2006

Purchased from: Abbey Music

Ease of Use: It's pretty easy to get the basics out the pedal but if you want something more then it's quite difficult beacause I still don't even understand some of the things about it. // 7

Sound: I have a "Shine Sharkfin Flyin V" through this then An Axl "Power 10" practice amp. The main reason I bought it is beacuse the distortion on my amp sucked. But if you turn the distortion up on this past about 3/4's on the heavier settings then it really starts to buzz and squeak and stuff. It has a noisegate to stop this, but that ruins the sound and makes the sustain rubbish. As for the distortion, not great but ok. However, I do like the chorus, reverbs, delays and flanger effects a lot. Also, the wah waaaah on it is rubbish and is very bland. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've had this pedal for about 6 months and already the little pedals are starting to come loose on it. As well as this, the adapter it came with broke about a month ago so I had to fork out a tenner to by a new one. Worst of all the big pedal that is supposed to control the "thickness" of effects doest actually work. I've read the manual many millions of times but no matter how much you move it nothing happens. As well as this. My effects have a nasty habbit of deciding they dont want distortion anymore and for some reason halfway through playing it will go clean. Seriously annoying. As for using it without a backup, I simply wouldny take it to gigs. I've had it at band practicess and its barely survives that. // 3

Overall Impression: I've been playing about 2 years; playing metal with splatters of punk and rock (Metallica, Trivium, Sum 41, Slayer) and in all fairness it can cope with punk but not metal, the leads are tight enough and the distortion sucks. If it were stoled I would probly claim insurnace and buy a new amp, or anything apart from this again. I like the chorus. I paid 80 for a chorus pedal. // 4

X V-AMP Reviewed by: joshuacoates, on october 23, 2006

Purchased from: Melbourne Music

Ease of Use: The X V-AMP would have to be one of the most easiest effects units I have ever used. I didn't even need a manual to figure out how it worked. just 2 knobs one controlling gain/volume an the other controlling the amp model/effects. The only thing I had trouble using was the chromatic tuner installed in it. Apart from that it's really easy to use just plug it in and away you go. The limited amount of buttons on the unit makes it very easy to control. // 10

Sound: It's quiet hard to tell if the quality of the effects are good or bad considering my amp and guitar are quiet bad at the moment. I found the noise gate to be quiet random. It had a tendency to buzz randomly when it was t top notch. it may have been a fault in my own product. The distortions on it are pretty good. I can't exactly get the sound I want but the sound I get is pretty decent. The tremolo seemed a bit hard to control but apart from that most effects seemed to be pretty good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't depend on it and would defiently take a back up to a gig. The expression pedal seems a bit dodgy and I defiently would not rely on it for a gig. The effect selectors seem very plasticky. It doesn't seem very robust but I'm sure if you looked after it like I have there would be no problems. The blue metallic type encasing is very solid and I rekon any one would have trouble breaking if they were using it for the purpose it was created for. // 9

Overall Impression: I play punk/pop/rock/metal/alternative type music and this pedal aqquires me with most of the effects I need to make a decent sound. If it was lost or stolen I rekon I's be back at square one and be deciding whether to go for something else. The main factor that attracted me to this pedal was the price of it. It was so cheap compared to all the other pedal I looked at and matched the same quality of it. I really don't like the lack of control with the expression pedal. Sometimes you have to stomp it to get it to work other times you only have to tap it. I really love teh distortion it produces. I've been using the same distortion setting for months because I love the sound it makes. // 9

X V-AMP Reviewed by: jimmyjimbo72, on january 05, 2010

Price paid: £ 79.99

Purchased from: Maplin

Ease of Use: I've used quite a few units and this one is rather easy to master. Although at first it wasn't as simple to use as my old Zoom G1, it is a hell of a lot more flexible in the creation of sounds. The manual was rather short, but this reflects the overall usability of the unit. // 10

Sound: At the moment I'm playing my strat through it and I'm running the unit through the headphone output into my awesome Sanyo headphones and it sounds great! When I return to my student house in Chester next month I'll be running it through my speakers as I did with my Zoom unit. There are no problems with noise, and even if there were one could use the noise gate which is great. This is a pretty versatile unit as many sounds can be produced. I've seen a few reviews along the lines of "Zomg Therez 2 Much Treble! It Wont Let Me Change Teh Mid!" but this is crap as not only can you obviously lower the presence, but holding the 2nd function button in the presence editing mode allows the user to alter the mid frequencies. Some of the speaker/amp settings are terrible but this is down to my personal preference as opposed to a flaw of the unit, but others such as "Modern Gain" are fantastic. The Compressor is brilliant and I use slight compression on my favourite clean patch and it sounds great. I have already achieved some of the sounds of my favourite artists such as Sublime, Slightly Stoopid and Matisyahu, and I'm going to be working on some others such as Nirvana and Gov't Mule. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Although this unit is composed of plastic, it seems rather durable. The patch selection footswitches seem a bit weak but its not like you need to stomp them as hard as possible like some idiots do. As a whole its well put together. As soon as I plugged a cable into the input and felt it gently slide in and lock, I knew that this would be a generally sturdy unit. The expression pedal, as nice as it feels to use, might not last too long, but we'll just wait and see. I would find this unit a bit tricky to use at a gig, not because of it's durability but because of a problem with changing patches; there's a slight delay during switching >.< This problem is not good at all for gigging, so as bad as this may sound I would probably run my Behringer DM100 (distortion stompbox) through the unit in order to utilise it's noise gate and sound shaping features, as well as to get instant distortion obviously. As for backup? Well erm, I suppose I'd have to use my Behringer stomp boxes. // 7

Overall Impression: I play all sorts of styles; rock, reggae, ska, hip-hop, pop and blues, among others and it handles them all brilliantly. I've been playing guitar for 3 and a half years now, and I'm still using a Squier Strat (only kidding, its actually not too bad at all)! I also own a Behringer DM100, UC100 and UF100. I wish I had known about the patch-change latency before it was purchased, although I probably still would have got this unit for it's other features. Also if it was stolen I'd replace it with the same as it is fantastic value for money. My favourite feature of the Behringer X V-AMP is the expression pedal (wah wah XD), but this is may be due to the fact that I've never had one at my disposal before! I also love the sounds that can produced as a result of the unit's diverse range of modelling options. What I hate about it is the patch-change latency (as I've mentioned about 2 million times before). Compared to other effects units in the 70-80 price range this one stood out massively. Compared to my old Zoom G1 this is quite superiour, but doesn't beat it in the patch-change latency department; the G1 had next-to-no latency. In a nutshell this is a fantastic unit for players of all levels, but is let down by it's, yep you guessed it, patch-change latency. // 9

X V-AMP Reviewed by: fr0zt, on july 05, 2004

Purchased from: Imperial Guitar NY

Ease of Use: Takes a bit of reading in the manual before getting used to it. Most likely if this is not your first multi-pedal, you'll be fine. The presets suck. You can't download presets unlike V-Amp 2. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes very easy though. // 8

Sound: I am using it with a Line 6 Spider II 112 and a S102 Strat copy. Let me tell you this is the greatest multi-effects pedal I've used in terms of true sound. The tone is great. The amp models sound like the real thing. You can get almost any type of sound possible in a multi-effects pedal. Certain effects and models can get somewhat fuzzy in the background, which is kind of a hassel, but the included noise gate does a good job of fixing it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's made of aluminum. I've dropped a weight on it, and dropped it on blacktop, and it hasn't been dented though. The pedals seem kind of awkward though, but not too bad. // 8

Overall Impression: I play blues, rock, metal, and others, and it suits all of my playing styles. The amp models are very real sounding, which is my favorite feature. It doesn't sound virtual at all. The effects are also very good. I recommend the X V-AMP to anyone needing to broaden their sound and effects a little. Also, you can't go wrong with the price. Try it out in a local music shop. // 8

X V-AMP Reviewed by: super666fender, on december 28, 2004

Ease of Use: This thing has a killer sound, makes my amp like 3 times as liud as it originally was. But without reading the manual your pretty much lost. The manual is very well planned out, nice clear and labeled images. Took me only about 2 mins. to learn this pedal in general. // 8

Sound: I use an Epiphone SG with Gibson '57 Reissue humbuckers with 11 Gauge Earnie Ball Power Slinky string, run to a Marshall my 15 cd. (I'm getinn a 50 DFX soon). It's not noisy on any setting, although when you turn the gain on really hight on one setting then go to the crazy distortion and your close to your amp and not playing then you will get massive uncontrolled feeback. The npise gate is superb, this pedal is sweet. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can definatly depend on it. It's got an aluminum bottom and very sticky rubber feet, so its not going anywhere whilke on the ground. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, punk, and heavy rock, and some acoustic music. This thingamabob serves up nice clean tones, and fiddle the switches a bit and you got crazier distortion than metallica uses. I've been playin for a bit over 2 years now, and if this this puppy was stolen, I'd first try to get it and beat the theif with a fukin lead pipe and beat the sh--t outta him, then mash his face in, and break his fingers so he won; to try to steal it again. But! If I was unseccesful at my previous plan, then once I get the mollah, then I'd definatly buy it again. I choose this pedal because of some reviews off the UG forums, and the price really drew me to it. The only thing I wished it had, was for the top and the pedals to be made oput of metal. // 8

X V-AMP Reviewed by: Hells_Rocker, on february 03, 2005

Purchased from: Planet Of Sound Uk

Ease of Use: It is fairly easy to use, though the manual is needed alot. Once you crack the features it is simple to edit sound. It is also easy to crack open without the manual. The manual is helpful though it contained damn near twenty different languages and that the manual with out english included in it. It is good for a beginner especially if you want to learn about pedal and how to use them. // 8

Sound: It gives a good variety though some don't show at first use. It enjoy the sound of "brit gain" and "recto gain" thought "classic clean" has the glistening effect. I run mine through a 10 watt practice amp Kustom KA10 I'm unsure whether when it sounds unclear that I am pushing the amp too far or it is the pedal that's bad. Most the effects are good and the amps are also quite strong sounding though sometimes you don't hear the difference. I like the Wah of this pedal as well. There is also a good dual effect on one of the pedals though I can't suss where it came from. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is definetaly dependable though when you press the buttons to change effects it sometimes skips some when you skip too fast. It would be safe to use on a gig though there may be that feeling something might go wrong. // 8

Overall Impression: I use it for classic rock or metal and it fits the purpose. I have used it to play the Velvet Revolver's "Fall To Pieces" solo and it sounds brilliant. It does suit most genres. I have played for about a year and I run a Westfield E4000 through it (Les Paul copy) and it does fit what I want it for. I have been told though that the plastic pedal may need to be reinforce with metal as so it doesn't break during a gig. I have no regrets in buying this item. I love the rock crunch you get out of this beast. I dislike how sometimes you can't find the sound you want. I bought this one as I got a good deal on it and I was told that it was good for what I wanted it for and they were right. I wish it had a bit more power and possibly a bit more simplicity in the function department. // 8

X V-AMP Reviewed by: The Oceanborn, on march 22, 2005

Purchased from: Thomann

Ease of Use: You should be able to handle it well after about two weeks, the manual provides good help in most cases. Of course, like on many multi effects you have to push two buttons and turn a knob to get some features going, but still not bad. A bad thing is that all the secondary ampmodels are written on it in grey, so it's hard to decipher them in bad lighting conditions. // 8

Sound: I play an Ibanez SA either thru a Marshall MG 15 for practice with all the ampmodels on or I just use it for gigs thru the FX loop of my Peavey Bandit 112 as a Noise Gate or FX pedal. Chorus, reverb, delay, phasers, tremolo is really good, the auto wah and the wah pedal are rather bad, I can't even use it just as a wah pedal with distrotion because it totally ruins the sound. The Amp models are good for clean, crunch, blues, hardrock, but when it comes to metal, they fail because the high gain amp models provide a blurry sound. The noise gate is ok if you work with it, the compressor is pretty nice. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It seems very solid, I have been using it for about a year now and I have played with it on gigs without backup and it was reliable, no problems there, five credits. // 10

Overall Impression: For anything clean low gain, this pedal works quite good, for metal it is not that good, I'v been playing guitar for 10 years something now and electric for 3. If it was stolen, I would buy a distortion pedal, a Noise Gate and a Crybaby and maybe a Chorus, that's all I need. But considering the really low price, this is especially good for beginners with crappy practice amps. // 6

X V-AMP Reviewed by: Rock_kid88, on april 06, 2005

Purchased from: Matchetts Music

Ease of Use: At first it can be rather difficult to get to grips with if you don't use the instruction manual. With the manual things are pretty easy. The manual uses basic English, and it is very easy to understand. The instructions also come in over three other languages. My only advice is read the manual before you get started. It is easy to change the patches after reading; recalling and reseting the patches is also fairly simple. Setting the effects is easy, and getting the second function is the same as with many Multi Effects Simulators. If your one of these people that trys to work things out without the manual, it will take some time to get use too, but other than that its not hard to use. // 8

Sound: I have only played two cheap guitar models through this, an Encore and a Stagg. I play it through a 45 Watt Marshall, or a PA system when at band practise. I play mainly heay metal, such as Iron Maiden, and rock, such as AC/DC or Guns. The amp simulations are quite good. I mainly use the Brit hi gain, based on a Marshall JCM 800, and Recto hi-gain, based on a 1994 Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. Although I use mainly these two there are around 12 or 13 other amp/speaker simulations. The only thing I dont like about the amp/speaker simulations, is you can't change the treble, mid and bass settings through the pedal, or at least I havent found a wa to do so. The method of setting the delay timing is arkward at first, and make take some time getting use to if this is your frst time playing with delay. There are four different delay and reverb simulations. The other effects arent bad and are easy enough to apply, although the auto wah isn't the best. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Although I have not used this in any of my live settings, I know others that have. However if you are playing lead and are going to be in "the spotlight" you may wanna pay extra and try find a more realiable source. For a band just beggining to gig it may do. // 6

Overall Impression: This pedal is good for beginners that would like to get more informed and knowlegable abour Pedals an effects. It can be good for matching blues and rock. The heavier gain is a bit fuzzy but still pretty good. // 6

X V-AMP Reviewed by: dirk-pitt, on march 14, 2006

Purchased from: Oberwarter Musikerhaus

Ease of Use: It's really easy to use it, altough some features like Configuration (FX, phones) or Presence doesn't seem to have any effect on the overall sound. The manual is OK, you'll learn it quickly. // 9

Sound: The sound is great, but in combination with my Behringer GM 108 it has quite offensive peaks (treble). It's only my subjective opinion, but I turned down the EQ on the amplifier and the sound was still a bit peaky. But the overall sound you can get from it is more than satisfiable. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I must admit I had some problems with it. When playing with effects such as pitch bend, the sound got distorted the bitch bend style after some minutes so the sound was awful. When not using pitch-bend I can rely on it. I'm a bit worried about the expression pedal, because when switchin' on the wah, you have to press the pedal strongly enough to activate the switch under it. It happened to me often, that I needed to switch the effect to wah, but I didn't press the pedal strongly enough, or I wanted to switch it off and nothing had happened. But you'll get used to it after a while so it's OK. // 7

Overall Impression: So to sum it up, it was the best choice for me and I'm fully satisfied with it. But there's one thing missing-the on/off switch. you need to plug in the electric plug everytime you want to turn it on/off. I play mainly rock music, so it's a pleasure to use the amount of sounds you can get out of it. To me, as a middle experienced musician it's a perfect match. I love the sound and playability, but I must admit that the expression pedal is weak, so instead of using wah I prefer auto-wah. // 9

X V-AMP Reviewed by: Nvyme, on august 16, 2006

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

Ease of Use: Well, it seems easy enough. There's the usual up and down pedals which scroll through the presets, and storing presets you've made is pretty simple. Just hold a button down for a few seconds and it's done. But sometimes it gets annoying when you have to hold down the alternate function button to change the tone level instead of just the gain, because you need 2 hands. Fair enough we've all got 2 but I've also got to hold my guitar and stop it falling off my lap or hitting a cupboard. The expression pedal is not bad, but because it's plastic and has no grip appart from some ridges you need some shoes. // 8

Sound: I use it with my computer mostly. Recording and stuff like that, and it sounds rather good. I haven't had a chance to play it at a gig yet but it stands up pretty well when rehersing. Although, when you change an effect, it does take about a second to change the sound so there will be a large gap instead of a clean transistion between clean and distortion. Which defeats the point really. You can have it so the pedal changes this, but then you don't have a wah pedal. As far as sounding like bands goes, I can get some really old school black metal sounds with the cathedral echo effect, and some rather scarily close sounds to the opening of welcome home sanitatium. But one gipe is that sounds don't linger enough when you turn the noise gate on. It's meant to kill feedback and it does it amazingly well but also kills your guitar sound to some extent. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well, there's that gap between the settings when you change them which puts me off using it live, if I accidentally hit a change, it's another 2 seconds before I can get back to my original sound. Not good. It's not really a gig pedal though, more a beginner one and it does this far better than actually performing. It hasn't broken on me yet and survived a trip through a 747's cargo hold, but it feels too light. This is good, but also it feels flimsy. Boss pedals are really dense and you get a sense that they wont break, this feels like an empty shell that could crack at any time. // 6

Overall Impression: Its not bad for metal I suppose. Black metal it does well because the really fuzzy distortion matches any old bathory or thorns song. The reverb is great for showing off, as is the noise gate because of how well it works at such a low price. The off button has raised an eyebrow of more than one of my friends because it isnt there. It made me wonder why as well. This pedal is great for beginners and although people say it's unreliable, I have yet to see any evidence for this. I just wouldn't use it live though because it feels as though something will go wrong. It's not a professional product that's all, but it's a useful pedal for travelling because it's light, small and cheap. You wouldn't want to carry around a huge Boss GT-8 everywhere. Carry this one instead because if it gets nicked, you'll only be around 60 worse off. // 8

X V-AMP Reviewed by: Jeff Manthei, on january 12, 2007

Purchased from: www.MusiciansFriend.com

Ease of Use: It is fairly easy to use. Some of the effects I was using on my computer was on this pedal already so I already had my sound down. The manual came with 11 diffrent languages. Which is funny to me because I had never heard of some of them. You can edit the presets if need be. If I like lets say number 89 and I want to add reverb and delay all I do is hold down reverb and turn it up and then hold down delay and then turn it up. The only problem is the hassle of changing your sound. // 8

Sound: I am using a Crate Power Block with my B\.C\. Rich Bronze Series Warlock. It isn't real noisy. Some of the effects are weak but that is because the presets don't have them high enough. I play a lot of metal and I Switch between using the nu-metal and the brit-hi-gain when selecting an amp mod. Distortion, Great. Wah, it's okay. Flange, good on certain settings. Chorus, crap on most settings. Bitch bend, only a few settings are great. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It doesn't look that durable. It's light and doesn't look like it is gig ready. As a back up maybe it will work but it is too difficult to Switch your sounds. I haven't had any problems yet other than sometimes the effecs go out, but then I un-plug and plug it back in. Not that bad when practicing but live, you're kinda screwed if that happens. // 4

Overall Impression: I mainly play metal but I am a veritile guitarist. This is a good starter processor for versitile guitarists. I have been playing for 3 1/2 years and I also own a Behringer Distortion Modular (don't get) and a DigiTech Death Metal Distortion Pedal (get if you are playing only very small gigs. Class room size). If it were stolen I wouldn't get this again, but I would get another effects processor. My favortie feature is the pitch bend. I love how it is so versitile, but hate that it is such a hassle. // 8

X V-AMP Reviewed by: samlocke14, on january 18, 2007

Ease of Use: With a bit of practice the X V-AMP is realitivly easy to use but you have to do things like: hold down 2 buttons and turn a knob to adjust an effect parameter. I found this a bit annoying to start off with but as I spent more time with it it got easier. The manual for the X V-AMP is full of information about the amp models and effects and how to use it, overal it is realitivly easy to use but more buttons would make it better. // 7

Sound: My setup is pretty simple, I use an Ibanez RG170 and a Laney LG35R plus the X V-AMP. The sound I get from the X V-AMP is great, the distortion effects are briliant and the modulation effects are strong and sound great. the wah effects are the worst part of the X V-AMP, they are weak and sound terible. I have been able to get some great sounds out of the X V-AMP, from melow clean/chorus sounds to heavy rock/metal distortion sounds. This unit does it all realy, except if you want a good wah sound, if you do I recomend buying a proper wah pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had the chance to use the X V-AMP at a gig but I would use it without a backup it is a reliable little unit. The X V-AMP seems to be durable but the up and down pedals seem flimsy and I only step on the softly because I fear I might break them, other than this it seems to be a durable unit. // 9

Overall Impression: I play all sorts of music, but mostly rock or punk and a bit of metal, the X V-AMP will do it all. I have been playing for well over 2 years and I have nad the X V-AMP for about a year and it's the only pedal I use, I have an old Boss distortion pedal but I don't use it because the X V-AMP has great distortion effects. If it were stolen I would want to get it again but I wouldn't be able to afford it. I love this distortion and modulation effects but hate the wah effects. I wish it had some more buttons/knobs for easier use but overall it's a good product. // 9

X V-AMP Reviewed by: Kutanmoogle, on march 26, 2007

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Ease of Use: It's pretty easy to use, but there are a few button combinations that need to be looked up before you get full use out of it. The manual is pretty good, but to find out exactly how to control each paramter of each effect, you need to look up the directions on their website. After you get used to it (takes an hour for most), it's a breeze to use. // 10

Sound: I was originally running this with a Yamaha starter guitar through the Yamaha starter amp, and it sounded really good. Sadly, the unit sounds pretty bad if you start playing it on higher end amps or through PA systems. The main problem is that EQ'ing the pedal properly is really hard, as there is no real 3 band EQ that lets you compensate for your amplifier. I found that it overemphasised bass and treble, despite being set to have a mids hump. It's a shame that it only really sounds good on cheap practice amps, because the effects are all so easy to control. My personal favourite would have to be the pitch shift and rotary effects. The wah (both auto and foot controlled) suck majorly though. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This unit really fails in this category. On several occasions, the small light next to the channel number (looks like a period) would stay lit, and no sound would come through. This has happened three times, and each time I couldn't find any fix except for resetting it to factory presets. There's also some weirdness with the optical sensor for the expression pedal, because it sometimes registers movement even if I haven't touched it. Don't gig with this. Also, the 2 second delay between channels only occurs if the two channels have different amp models. So if you Switch between 7 different channels that are all set on, let's say, the V-amp Crunch model, then there will be no delay. It's not at all suitable for gigging, but if you can get by the 2 second delay, studio work would be okay. // 3

Overall Impression: It can pull off any genre with equal effiency. I've been playing for 3 years now, and this pedal has now been trumped by any number of borrowed wah pedals, and recently sold to a friend. I really wish I asked someone if the wah was good before getting this, as that was the main reason I bought the unit. I was a total tone newbie when I got this, and even now, it still sounds good on my practice amp. In the end, this is a pretty good deal for a large amount of effects and amps in one package, but the reliability issues make it more of a toy than anything else. // 6

X V-AMP Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 03, 2007

Ease of Use: At first I decided to ignore the manual and just figure things out for myself, to which the pedal disappointed me slightly, but this is only because I wasn't aware of the potential. After reading the manual, which is very clear and easy to understand, I figured out how to use the pedal to it's full extent and the versatility and quality is excellent. The only real problem was the delay between banks (this can be overcome if you are on the same amp setting but that is generally what you want to change). // 8

Sound: I'm currently using the OLP John Petrucci signature guitar through a small Peavey Blazer 158. I personally think the clean setting is a little fuzzy but it's better than the clean setting on my amp. The distortions on the pedal are brilliant, you can make a low-budget room amp sound like a more expensive and larger amp with this. I play mainly progressive but also some blues and hard rock and the X V-AMP has it all covered. The reverb is particularly good and I've become prone to using it too much. The delay settings are really good but it takes practice to get it exactly how you want it. All of the modules are pretty good except wah, auto-wah and p-funk'n which are extremely poor. Don't get this pedal if you're after a cheap wah, just get a wah. The noise gate is real good for the higher gain settings however it does kill the sustain of your guitar. Fiddle around enough and you're sure to get most of the sounds you want, I play mainly Dream Theater, UFO, MSG, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Whitesnake, Rush etc and I've been able to get close enough to their sound. The only problem with the sound is that if you're playing up full you do get feedback on some settings. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I take my v-amp to every band practice and it gets kicked around and stomped on, so far there are only a few scratches from the concrete garage floor but it sounds the same. I've owned it for a year and a half now and I've had no technical difficulties, it always does what it's supposed to do. I haven't used this for a gig yet but due to the occasional feedback issue, I wouldn't recommend gigging with it. It feels cheap but I think it's sturdier than it seems. // 8

Overall Impression: I've tried many genres with the v-amp (prog, jazz, blues, classic rock, classical, metal) it's equipped for all of them. I've tried playing a Westfield E4000 (les paul), a Gibson Flying V and an Ibanez JEM through it and it seems to work well with just about any guitar. If it were stolen I'd definitely consider buying it again but I would perhaps try something up-market because the delay between banks is a bitch. If they eliminated the delay and perhaps upgraded the wah this product would be about as good as you could get considering the low price, but even as it is it's still a brilliant product. // 8

X V-AMP Reviewed by: rainman1987, on july 03, 2007

Purchased from: Music Go Round

Ease of Use: It was a very weird unit to use. The unit came pre-programed will 99 effects and you could make customized effects. It had a very cheap feel to it (make in China) and to scroll though all the effects took forever. There wasn't a fast-forward on the unit to scroll through the different programs quickly, so it would stick on each program for a second and then move on to the next. To make it easier to understand, if you were and program 5 and you have to go to program 58, you were sol. You would have to sit there with you foot on the pedal for 20 second to get there. And the wah/volume pedal on the unit is completely useless. Not very well though out by Behringer. // 4

Sound: The sound it produced was good, nothing special though. Basically what you would expect of a board in that price range. The sound did have a little too much treble for my taste though. It was good though. It had good distortion, reverb, and an array of amp simulators. It was a quite unit though, which was nice. There was no humming coming from the unit and no static from the connections. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It was reliable most of the time. There was a couple of times that the units booted up funky and you had to let it sit for a while to let it get its crap together. I would never gig with it, maybe if all my Boss pedals went to crap and I may use it, but it is a horrible unit to use for a Live show. It is made of very light and cheap plastic, so one misplaced stomp from your foot would probably put this unit out of it's misery. Not very durable and somewhat reliable. // 5

Overall Impression: I bought this unit a year ago and sold it back to the shop about two months ago for $35.00. I was not very impressed and not very satisfied with this unit. It would be good for a beginner wanting to get some cool sounds out of their guitar but not a great gig unit. It was cool when I first got it (like anything is) but it slow started to disappoint me more and more. I will not buy one again, and will not buy anything from Behringer again. You get what you pay for, and that is a lesson I have learned way too much. // 5

X V-AMP Reviewed by: Tobbin, on february 13, 2009

Price paid: € 90

Purchased from: Musikbörsen

Ease of Use: I baught this effect pedal about 2 years ago. It came in a nice box with lots of manuals in different languages. To get sound out of this thing isn't hard at all just plug it in and hear all the wonderful tones:P. Mainly the X V-AMP has a pedal for wah-wah and volume effects, it also has two foot buttons so you can Switch up and down between the different sounds. You get 8 different settings of amps featurin 2 different amps in each setting (the second amp model goes in when you turn the gain over half). Same thing on the FX, 4 settings but 8 effects. 2 settings on reverb but 4 types of reverb. Delay has 2 settings... you get the point... When I started to use the X-Vamp I were kind of lost in all effects, amp-models and so on. I had a really hard time navigating in it. but after dealing with this thing for a year I could get almost any type of sound I wanted out from it, but in the beginning you can get so frustrated that you almost want to smash it. I have not even dared to try using the tuner, I actually don't have any idea of how it works. I am going to give this an 8, it has a lot of features but it takes some time learning how to use them. Here the manuals doesn't help so much either. // 8

Sound: When I baught the X-Vamp I used it with my Ibanez GAX30-BKN and my Behringer 15 watt V-tone amp, at that time I mainly just played in my home and had music as a freetime hobbie. I quickly realised that on the high gains on the "modern gain" channel it was unbelievable noisy. Though you can fix it through starting the noise gate, the only bad thing with that is that it ruins your sustain. One effect that I really like in this thing is the wah-wah, it sounds perfectly great, if I turn on just a little gain on the classic clean channel I can get good jimi hendrix sound and the use the Wah-Wah Pedal playing things like "voodoo child". if I turn the gain halway up on the black twin channel I can get kind of nice AC/DC sounds. with the modern gain/numetal gain channel I can get good metal sounds like for example Enter sandman. But the distortion channels on this should only be used for practicing, I think it is too noisy and (squarish) to be used for Live performance. Then you have all the effects too, I can just say that all of em sound totally awesome. If you activate the amp bypass channel you will amasingly not get any noisy feedback, so I would use the effects like the wah-wah and chorus for gigging. but the noise on the distortion channels is bugging the crap out of me, for that it has to be a 6. Good practicing device anyway. // 6

Reliability & Durability: When I first picked this thing out of the box I got a powerfull impression. though it is made in plastic it is anyway really well made, the plastic is thick and durable. I can stand on this thing with one foot and I weigh 82kg! but I have the tip on a tele jack trapped inside the guitar in jack, once when I pulled out the cable the tip of the cable stayed and it is pretty darn hard to get it out of there since the tele jacks are solidly built and can't be opened. So now I would never use this on a gig since I got a guitar cable tip in it. but otherwise I would not gig with it at all, it just doesnt't cut it in the sound category. But if I would have gigged with it I would not take a backup with me, it wont brake, it has proven that after 2 years of good service. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock, all types of metal and some experimental metal. Sometimes when I look for a new sound I can Pick up the X-Vamp and fiddle around with the effects 'til I find what I want. I have been playing for around three years now and have a small band with another guitarist. We relay on effects and drum machines to get our sounds. If I could use a time Machine to go 2 years back in time to when I baught this thing I would probably don't change anything except for buying a tube amp instead of sticking with the the crappy Behringer V-tone amp. If this thing was stolen I would probably go a little sad cause it is kind of a big part of my music story. But after I dried my tears I would have baught an even bigger FX station like the Line6 POD X3, as soon as I would have gotten som money to spend of course. But I wish it would have had a little less noise on the gain channels and not so (squarish) sound then it would have been perfect, it would had been the ultimate guitar effect. At least I think so. If your new to guiar and want an effect station with veratility then don't hesitate. go buy it. // 8

X V-AMP Reviewed by: claude-fi, on january 25, 2011

Ease of Use: The Behringer X V-AMP is a multi-effects pedal featuring many of Behringer's stompbox models and other popular amp/cabinet models. It has chorus, delay, reverb, flanger, phaser, wah, auto-wah, and a lot more. It features an expression pedal which you can assign to the intensity of an effect, the volume/gain or speed (in delays and tremolo effects). It's powered by a 9v DC adapter. It comes with a manual translated to a lot of different languages although when it comes down to it, you'll get the gist just by playing with unit for an hour or so. Having said that, I'd still advice you read the manual as it provides "hidden" settings like the built-in EQ. It's really easy to edit patches (it features 100 patches). Just select the amp model, adjust the gain/volume, then add any of the effects you wish by tapping the delay, reverb, modulation noise gate and compression buttons. There are 2 knobs that control each and every aspect of the unit, depending on what mode you are in (for example if you press the delay button, the selection of the knob changes to the delay settings). It also has a 2nd function button that you hold as you turn either of the 2 knobs, selecting the secondary mode of the knob. It also has a built-in tuner, accessed by pressing the up and down pedals simultaneously. This is also the bypass mode. Overall, editing is a breeze and getting a decent tone is kinda easy thanks to the somewhat intuitive interface. // 7

Sound: I use it with a Michael Kelly Patriot Premium and a Spider 2 15 watt amp. It sounds great given that you have decent settings. You DONT want to crank up the volume or gain in this unit because even with the noise gate, it will still be noisy. The key in getting the best out of this pedal is by tweaking the built-in EQ. By pressing the compr and modulation button, you access the EQ for the bass. Pressing the 2nd function button while turning the knob will set the mid settings. This is some of the stuff you'll miss if you don't read the manual. The presence setting is similar to this. The amp models are the best feature of this pedal. It's a shame the other effects are just average. The amp models range from high-gain rectifiers to blues crunch amps to brit models. I spent an hour just fiddling with the amp models. There's no overdrive/distortion bank, you get them in the models, which is fine by me. The other effects as I've said are passable. The delays are good, they deliver, just don't expect some multi-tapping or reverse delays. The chorus is sweet, the most used effect in my setup. The flangers, phasers are ok too, although I don't use them a lot. The Wah and auto Wah could be a LOT better. The reverb delivers as well. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I don't gig with this. As mentioned, there's a 1.5 second delay between patches of different amp models and that is just unacceptable for me. This pedal is great for practicing or just being in charge of one or two patches along with other stompboxes. Also, the expression pedal got busted quite early, even though I RARELY use it. With that said, it's really not that bad for its price. You get good amp modeling, lots of effects and a very decent chorus for 100$. // 4

Overall Impression: I play hard rock, nu-metal and some modern blues and the amp models definitely deliver. I can't say the same with the other effects though. I've been playing for 6 years now and this was my very first pedal (I got it in 2005). I still use it, along side my other stompboxes because I just love this one setting I got by chance. It's a medium-gain, with a tad bit delay and reverb on top of a low intensity chorus and I just adore that sound, great for soloing, and if I remove the reverb, great for rhythm on alternative or gospel songs, think Hillsong (I play at the church regularly).If it were stolen, I'd buy a Zoom G2.1Nu (and I already did). What keeps this pedal from being totally awesome is the annoying delay between patches. If somehow they got rid of that, this product would be in a totally different league in terms of what it offers at a very low price. // 5

X V-AMP Reviewed by: Guitar_dude_970, on march 07, 2011

Price paid: A$ 159

Purchased from: Mau Music

Ease of Use: It is a very easily controlled pedal. You can have anywhere up to 99 presets making great for on stage concerts. You can edit at any time just by turning a knob. The manual is very easy to understand and it can show you alot about the pedal including picking what the expression pedal does and more! // 6

Sound: I use a beautiful Yamaha Pacifica 112 going into a Yamaha 15 watt amp. It can be noisy but I'm always battling with trying to get the clean sound higher and the distortion lower. THe effects can be weak I know I've only found 4 great distortion settings but all the other effects are great. There are many great sounds you can get out of the X V-AMP. The distortion can be sloppy and there is no Overdrive but the chorus is pretty good and so is the delay an the reverb. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have only had one mix up so far and that was when I was mucking around. It suddenly jut changed effects and made a horrible sound and the preset numbers changed. I use it all the time when I'm performing and I haven't had one mix up yet. But the changing time in between presets annoys me becuse it means I can't do a quick change from lead to backup or backup to lead. // 4

Overall Impression: I play modernish music so it is good match. I've been playing for a while and I own a Behringer dd-400, a Behringer dm 100 and a Boss tu-12. Yep I would have listened to a freind f I knew a year later I would want to change nd sell the pedal. I would buy something else if it was broken or stollen now that I know what it does and it down sides. I also wich it had a overdrive. // 3

X V-AMP Reviewed by: teodozjan, on may 24, 2011

Purchased from: allegro.pl

Ease of Use: This is quick start stuff. You just plug guitar and amp or phones and you can access to one of ready made presets. But modifying is not so easy. If found it hard to operate effect with one hand, it is important while holding guitar. To access some options I have to hold two buttons and turn the knob. But this is not pro effect... Equalizer is simplified to master, down (bass) and up (presence) so there is no additional middle setting. I didn't receive manual in BOX but It was trivial to find on producer web site. Instructions provide description of all options. Built-in presets are totally mixed and every user need to rearrange them or create own. There is no delete preset function. I need about 20 from available and there is no possiblity to fast jump from one preset to another. // 6

Sound: I use It mainly on headphones and sometimes with my Crate Flexwave 15R amp. Instrument is cheap Ibanez Stratocaster (GRX-40). Effect sounds good, I need to use built-in noise gate very often but because my guitar is noisy. Behringer claims that they copied legendary amps and effects but I can't afford real ones to check. Everything sounds very realistic (no digital artifacts, no delay). You can link any set of efects noise gate+compr+modulation+delay+reverb+amp. Some effects have 3 editable parameters. Any preset can have different equalizer settings. I really like different overdrive/distortions provided as amp models. It is possible get a little overdrive, hard rock sound, pure gain or metal sound. V-Amp provides plenty of soundings and It sounds good. It is possible to operate with headphones due to built in speaker simulations. Effect has two outputs Stereo and Mono (20db silenter). // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is not pro stuff. It costs less than cheap guitar amp and provides all except real speaker so it is possible to play gig with (most concert halls provide own columns anyway). But who would say "Sorry for this weird noise I'm cycling through presets..." to his fans? Pedal are from plastic but they seem to be solid. Pedals are comfortable. // 8

Overall Impression: All my rates are due to price so do not be surprised with 8-9-10. I play mainly rock/punk rock sounds but I plan learning new styles. I've used Digital Delay before and combo built-in Overdrive so I cannot say I am effect guru but this stuff suits my needs). For not much money I have many effects with many variations and I have good quality sound on headphones. I love amps simulation and hate that I can hear cycling through presets. I would buy another one I would consider non floor version because I operate It by hands anyway but this one is also good enough for me. // 9

X V-AMP Reviewed by: hagymaagy, on may 08, 2012

Price paid: € 45

Purchased from: jofogas.hu

Ease of Use: Using this unit is easy. Even my music theory teacher was able to learn it, and he's now 78 years old. Getting a GOOD sound out of it on the other hand is next to impossible. More about that in 'sound'. // 10

Sound: The sound is another story. If you plan on buying it, just don't. The cleans sound somewhat decent, but everything else fails miserably. The crunch tone is too dark, the distortion is muddy, and it feels like there's only post-gain on this thing. I mainly wanted to use it as a backup/practise pedal, but it's not even good for that. Since I play Metal (Melodic Death Metal), this pedal might be one of my worst choices. As for modulation effects, the rotary is not something I used too-too much, but I think it's okay. Not enough depth on that though. What I mainly cared about was the Wah and the Pitch Bend effects, and those flat out suck. The Wah only goes halfway, and when playing solos or one-note riffs, it can just barely be heard. If you're strumming chords or doing hard rock-style power chord riffs, it's pretty audible, but it makes the muddy distortion even more muddy. I tried it on several amps, so it's not my amp that makes it sound bad. I tested it on a Peavey Backstage practise amp (surprisingly that's the best sound I got out of any of my amps with this pedal), a 1994 Mesa/Boogie Rectifier and a 1964 Bhm Regent 30H, but one sounded worse than the other. I did all these tests without the cab simulation. The cab simulation sounds like a crappy practise amp being played in the back of a van surrounded with couches and whatnot. It's bad. The only part that might be somewhat worth it is the reverb. Or more specifically the Cathedral Reverb. That's awesome. As for the Spring reverb and the ping-pong delay, it's not worth it. The spring reverb is really harsh and makes a constant incoherent squeeking noise. It's annoying. // 4

Reliability & Durability: It's made of plastic... But it seems durable enough. It never broke on me, even though I stomp on it really hard sometimes. As for using it on a gig without backup - never! I'd never even bring this hunk of crap to a gig, even WITH backup. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal, and this pedal for that is not anything that you might want to use. If you're a jazz/blues player, it might be of some use, but really not much. Why I bought it if it's so bad, you might ask... Well, I wanted a pedal for Practising and jamming, but since I wasn't able to try it out before buying it, since the guy selling it didn't have any of the cables. He was originally selling it for 16.000 HUF, but I got him to sell it to me for 13.000 (Wich is roughly 45) because I can't try it... Well, I should've bought the Zoom G2 instead. If it would be stolen, I wouldn't really give a flying f--k about the device. I'd care more about my money though. I would never buy anything as crappy as this one again. // 3

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ Ultrastack BG412V 7.2 Guitar Amplifiers 02/14/2014