FTN-525 F-Tuner Review

manufacturer: Belcat date: 08/27/2009 category: Guitar Effects
Belcat: FTN-525 F-Tuner
It works perfectly all the time. Huge Display is it's best point, poor battery life a down point.
 Ease of Use: 10
 8.9
 9.8
review (1) pictures (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
FTN-525 F-Tuner Reviewed by: sixwheeledbeast, on august 27, 2009

Price paid: £ 24.99

Purchased from: ebay.co.uk "mango music"

Ease of Use: My trusty belcat f-tuner ftn-525, compact easy to use Chromatic Tuner. Came with no instrutions but what is there to explain, patch in patch out. Push to bypass, simples. I bought this over other popular models as it's has the largest and clearest display I have seen on a tuner pedal. It has a red 20mm seven segment display for the note and large sharp symbol. A strip of 11 LED's; 10 red, 1 green - act like a standard tuner. (green in the middle when in tune type system) This strip also displays the reference frequency (435-445hz) while it's adjusted, this is done simply with the two buttons on top (b,#). It comes set at standard 440hz. Very pleased with the clearity of display and ease of use. // 10

Sound: I run this through a Vox AD15VT on my Ibanez RG321MH, it's stays permanently connected to my rig. It has no effect on the tone of my guitar what so ever. There is a very very quiet click sound through the amp when a note is displayed. This is only when on bypass/tuning mode and only when used with a power pack. This click sound has something to do with shorting the output jack to earth so there is NO switch pop I think. The sound doesn't effect anything and I hardly notice it even with full volume and/or gain. Is it "true bypass"? I have only had a quick look and the switch is a 3PDT mounted to the PCB, the resistance between the in and out is zero. So please draw your own conclusion on TB. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had this a year or so and was so pleased I bought two more for my mates. It is completely dependable and fairly strong. The only slight drawback is there is a Blue LED on all the time during playing so it uses batteries fairly quickly, you remove the instrument jack to switch it off completely. I always run my tuner from a power pack 9V it is centre negative so some rigs may need a converter cable. I have still left my 9V PP3 battery in so I can use it on battery power when required. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I am happy I bought this one over others on the market, especially for the price. It works perfectly all the time, it's been left on powered from the power pack ever since I got it. Huge Display is it's best point, poor battery life a down point but for me I prefer to have the light and run it off the power pack. Works on bass and guitar very well (A0-C8 range). I recommend this and would buy again. The only two foot pedal tuners I personally would consider is this and the Korg Pitchblack. Pitchblack has a couple of extra display modes so overall for the price I thought it wasn't worth it. This does as equally a good job if not better because of the display. This product has also been sold as Crossfire, ModZone, Cruzer, Rockburn... // 10

More Belcat reviews rating category latest review
+ Acoustic 25C 7.8 Guitar Amplifiers 08/20/2014