Pharaoh Fuzz Review

review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Pharaoh Fuzz Reviewed by: Tim the Rocker, on november 08, 2012

Price paid: € 130

Purchased from: Prymaxe

Ease of Use: Hi, my name is Tim and I review boutique pedals. This time I review my Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh Fuzz, and I'll start out by saying it's one of the most versatile and good sounding fuzz/muff I have ever had my hands on. It's dead easy to get a good sound from it, all the way from a little bit of fuzzy Overdrive all the way up to full roaring muff madness. There wasn't included a manual, but I think you only need the names of the knobs to understand what they do. My unit is stock. // 8

Sound: I'm using it with a JCA50H, on clean. I used to use a Marshall SuperBass 100watt, but the pedal blends a little nicer with a guitar amp on the edge to breakup. It's one of the most silent pedal I've ever bought, no noise. The three different fuzz sounds, germanium, silicone and both, sound very good, although the middle position tend to be a lot louder than the rest. Which means you have to be careful not to hit it by mistake or the mass of volume will hit you so hard that you'll be struck back in time to the real Pharaohs. I use it mainly to play very heavy fuzzing like Electric Wizard, but it also does the fuzzy edge to any newer High On Fire songs. It can also play almost all of the fuzz sounds you'd like to hear from QOTSA. The pedal stacks very well with overdrives, but mostly in the output of another pedal. It stacks well with modulation, too. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think this pedal will last a hundred years of gigging! I'll bring a Big Muff as back-up, but I doubt I'll ever need to replace the Pharaoh Fuzz, and if I had to, then I'd buy another one! // 9

Overall Impression: It matches my music perfectly and it can growl and sing, all a matter of what you want it for. I've been playing for some 5-6 years, but I spent most of my time pursuing gear and I have a ever-growing range of boutique pedals. I love the fact that it's like having three fuzz in one and there's only one thing that I can say bad about it and that is that the three different fuzz modes are all different volume output, so you can just toggle between them during a live gig, or it would get extremely messy. I wanted this or something from Death By Audio, but I settled for this when I heard that High On Fire used it on their song "Madness Of An Architect" of their latest album, and that was just the sound I needed! If I lost it I would buy another one straight away, no hesitation.

// 9