HT-Drive Review

manufacturer: Blackstar date: 10/23/2007 category: Guitar Effects
Blackstar: HT-Drive
High voltage valve design for true valve dynamics and feel. Two cascaded ECC83 triode stages for gain from warm boost to screaming saturation. Unique A-Class' tone control retains your guitars natural character. Emulated output is a new benchmark design for pro direct recording sounds. High integrity bypass for silent switching and driving long cables.
 Ease of Use: 8
 9.5
 8.5
review (1) 9 comments vote for this gear:
HT-Drive Reviewed by: deadlydunc, on october 23, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal is fantastic. It's really easy to use and has great tone. There is a manual with a couple of suggested settings for valve boost/classic drive/hot drive but there are three knobs! How hard can it be? Every twist of every knob gives new valve driven delight. // 8

Sound: I play an Epiphone Les Paul with standard Gibson designed pups which is quite a dark and mellow sounding guitar or a Kramer Focus 6000 with single coils that sounds really trebly. They both sound really lush and warm with the settings pretty much anywhere. Literally. From low end break up to screaming hot bluesy valve drive. It does the lot, well. It's not as gainy as the some other models in the range, I tried a HT-DISTX but it was far too gainy for me, it sounds more like a single channel valve amp with a similar level of grittiness. It's good for any electric bluesy stuff like Hendrix or SRV and will push even up to some slash or Aerosmith style sustain/compressed type blues/rock. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well. I have only had the pedal a few days but it's built like a tank. It's quite big, maybe 2 and a half times the size of a single Boss pedal as a frame of reference. And appears to be made of a fairly light metal so it's heavy but not back breaking. Very well put together and I would definitely rely on it for a gig. Not that I am likely to gig in the near future. // 10

Overall Impression: I like and play anything from supergrass style britpop through Hendrix and peter green via slash and some brian may and even some punk. Nothing too heavy, no nu metal or anything-core. I've been playing for 18 months now and have an Epiphone Les Paul and a Kramer Focus 6000 a Boss DS-1 which is retiring for a while as this pedal is so good and a Boss GE-7 graphic equaliser fed off a power bank to save on batteries which I put before the pedal to boost the signal into the valve a bit. All this runs through a Roland VS-840 8 track disc recording mini studio and then out to my computer for various software recording and manipulation options. If it were lost or stolen I would go and get another one straight away. I really like the way it's built it's smooth and solid. You can see the valve glowing through some bars on the top which is reassuring. I did try a HT-DIST in the shop and bought a HT-DISTX home to try but they were just too gainy for me. I found I was using the gain between 0 and 1 so I went back and swapped for the Overdrive. This one just makes my LP sound creamy and it sings like slash in full swing mid solo bending and sliding away, well it would if I played a bit better. The tone is there though. // 10

More Blackstar reviews rating category latest review
+ HT Metal 60 Combo 8.5 Guitar Amplifiers 01/20/2014