HT-Dual Review

manufacturer: Blackstar date: 01/26/2009 category: Guitar Effects
Blackstar: HT-Dual
The HT-DUAL offers the ultimate in high voltage valve distortion flexibility. Channel 1 has either Clean or Crunch modes so it can be used clean, as a boost or overdrive. Channel 2 gives distortion tones from super crunch right up to screaming lead.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Ease of Use: 9
 9.6
 9.7
 9.5
reviews (2) 26 comments vote for this gear:
HT-Dual Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 26, 2009

Price paid: € 150

Ease of Use: The Blackstar HT-Dual "Pure Valve Distortion" is very easy to use, as it has a straightforward design. A Gain control for both channels, 3band EQ, ISF (will come back tot this later)and a level control for both channels. The amount of gain you set the control to really influences the tone, so you can get a diverse set of tones out of this pedal. The manual that comes with it is very elaborate and also includes a few tone presets. Though of course it's up to you that find that tone that suits you best. // 8

Sound: The sound that comes out of this pedal is amazing. It's very rich and has a real `character` to it, if you know what I mean. I am currently using this running into a Hughes And Kettner tube amp, playing on my Ibanez RG2620 and Schecter C-1 Hellraiser. This pedal features a variety of tones: Channel 1's Clean and Crunch modes and Channel 2's "Super" crunch and distortion. The ISF control "Takes your tone from USA to the UK and anywhere inbetween". Though turning the ISF control doesnt't't make a world of difference, you can hear a slight change in the character of your tone. Another cool addition is, next to the regular output, the Emulated output. This output allows you to connect directly into a mixing board of a computer, giving you a rich sound the same you would get as playing through a wall of tube amps. Since this pedal has two seperate channels, you have tons of different tones you can achieve. From 80's rock, to Blues, all the way up to the heaviest of metal. I just have to rate the sound of this amazing pedal a 10, because it has to be the most amazing stompbox I have ever heard. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This dual stompbox is sturdy as hell, it has a aluminum casing and everything is mayhem-proof ( no plastic squishy bits ). The Valve (ECC83/12AX7) is behind a metal grille so it's safe as well. Another nice little add is the valve blacklight that's lit when you have the stompbox on. It is excellent reliability and durability-wise. // 9

Overall Impression: I play anything from Blues to Death Metal, and I have to say this box fulfills my every needs. It's easy to operate, gives you a variety of tones and above all.. the tone is fat as hell. The price may be somewhat high for a stompbox, but remember it has 2 channels and a huge spectrum of tones. I've been playing for about 7 years now and I can imagine myself using this box for the rest of my life. If it were stolen I would definately buy this product again. It has everything you can wish for in a stompbox and more. // 10

HT-Dual Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 07, 2008

Ease of Use: This is a very easy to master pedal, just two switches for the channels, one on channel one for clean/crunch, a knob for each channel for gain and level, and a bass, mid, and treble that is for both channels. One more knob for the infinite shape feature (ISF). The manual is small and to the point and even has a few suggested settings on the outside. All in all very easy. // 10

Sound: I used it straight into my mixing desk via the speaker sim output using my PRS. It has some noise when the gain is way up but it really is minimal. This is as close to a valve amp as I have heard from a pedal. The two valves allow you to get some amazing sounds out of this baby. The ISF control also change the sound in a cool way, one side it is an American hi gain sound and the other more of classic Marshall brit amp sound. but you can mix the two and get a sound all of your own. // 10

Reliability & Durability: very sturdy build indeed. I would trust this if I dropped it off a tower block. Not gigged with it but bet it will be up for the job no problems at all. The biggest thing is the weight but that is because of it being so sturdy. The valve shines out through a strong metal grill and the knows/switches are very good quality and up for the job. // 10

Overall Impression: Best pedal I have ever bought, completely changes the quality of the sound I get for the better. This is going to be in my rig for a very long time I think. I would recommend this pedal to anyone as it is so versatile. The valve sounds it produces are excellent and the speaker sim output makes it ideal for recording straight into a PC or similar recording device. Get down the shop and try one, you won't be disappointed. // 10

More Blackstar reviews rating category latest review
+ ID:Core Stereo 10 8 Guitar Amplifiers 08/19/2014