BF-2 Flanger Review

7.4
reviews (2) pictures (1) 17 comments vote for this gear:
BF-2 Flanger Reviewed by: Smart Patrol, on september 20, 2010

Purchased from: Used

Ease of Use: BF-2 had 4 knobs: MANUAL, DEPTH, RATE and RES(onance). They allow lots of settings, like Chorus, Jet Flanging, Tremolo, Vibrato and some alien sounds. Because of this flexibility, it took some time to achieve the best tweak, and then I had to take note of the knob positions for not fogetting them, specially for changing them during a show. But I tell you the Flanger was pretty easy to use, considering the number of different combinations it provided. // 8

Sound: BF-2 was very good sounding, really pro quality, a pedal for other people to be jealous of. It was the same used by The Cure, The Cult, The Police, and even Van Halen and Nirvana. Sometimes, maybe due to the pedal conditions when I bought it, it had some little background hiss, but it didnt interfere on the tone. It was no bother. The sound quality of that thing never disappointed me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I bought it really bashed. There was a screw missing in the stomp section, so I had to replace it. There were lots of scratches, some of the knobs, along with the PSU jack, were a bit loosely, but I had no noise problems of any kind. BF-2 looked like getting back from war, but I could see then what everybody already knew: BOSSES are like TANKS. Why should I bother with backups? ;) // 10

Overall Impression: The BF-2 Flanger was a great match for the kind of music I was playing, 20 years ago. I could play most pop songs and it added some brightness to some originally played clean. In addition, It gave me a great match with my DF-2 Superfeedbacker, giving presence to the solos. I was originally planning to buy a CE-2 Chorus, also from Boss, but a more experienced friend recommended me the Flanger because it could do everything Chorus did and much more. And he was right. That MIJ thing was superb. I didnt only buy it again, now that I dont have any financial problems, it's because people here in Brazil, where pedals are very overpriced, want ridiculous prices for those Vintage pedals. If I were a professional musician, I could consider having one, since its said the MIJ versions of any Boss pedal are the best. So, I decided to buy something more suitable to my ambitions as a guitar player: a very good Onerr HF-1 Hydrogen Flanger (read review). If you live in a country where the Customs don't overprice any purchases from E-bay, you could safely try buying BF-2, specially if it's MIJ. I could bet your buddies would be jealous... ;) // 10

BF-2 Flanger Reviewed by: patbuck2, on march 07, 2011

Ease of Use: I had some trouble with the Boss BF-2 when I first got it. I didn't quite understand what the individual knobs did. I could tell that they changed the sweep and swirl of the pedal, but I was a bit lost and had to fiddle around with different settings until I decided on 1 or 2 I liked. I didn't have a manual for it because I bought it used (hence the low price tag for me). I just figured it out through trial and error. Flanger is kind of a unique effect, so it's easy to get what you want out of a flanger from it. // 5

Sound: When I had this, I was using it with my old Line 6 Spider III 75w and then with my current Vox AC4TV for a little while. The first amp was a piece of junk and made the pedal sound bad on it. The latter sounded pretty with it, but I didn't have much of a use for it with a low-gain amp, so I ended up selling it away. It is noisy in the sense that it is very present in the mix. When not playing, you can hear this up and down swirling sound. This pedal is not weak. It is a present, strong effect. I bought this pedal out of love for my favorite guitarist at the time, Adam Jones. And I really only used it for playing Tool songs on guitar. I would say this pedal, and really any decent flanger for that matter, is good for high-gain, "heavy metal" guitar playing. So if that's what you're in to, I would recommend this pedal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I could depend on it. It was a few years old when I got it, it still worked fine, and it worked the same when I sold it away. I had it for a few months. I took good care of it and it held out just fine. I never got to gig with it. I just played in my bedroom at the time. // 9

Overall Impression: When I had this, I pretty much just used it for playing Tool songs and occasionally some Rage Against the Machine. I was into playing metal at the time. I think this pedal is only really good for high-gain stuff. I've been playing for 3 years. I liked it when I was more into metal. It served its purpose for the time I had it, and I look back on it positively because of that. It had pretty good tone overall. Better than the newer BF-3. I sold it because I lost any real purpose for it, so it isn't very versatile. It's good for only really one thing. Otherwise, it's not worth the purchase. It was a good flanger. // 8

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ ME-50B Bass Multi Effects Processor 8.5 Bass Effects 11/20/2014