CE-20 Chorus Ensemble Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 12/20/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: CE-20 Chorus Ensemble
The CE-20 Chorus Ensemble is the culmination of over 25 years of Boss chorus experience. This programmable chorus pedal not only models classics like the CE-1 and SDD-320, but creates entirely new effects including chorus for bass and acoustic guitar.
 Ease of Use: 8
 8.6
 8.8
 8.3
reviews (2) pictures (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
CE-20 Chorus Ensemble Reviewed by: guy_tebache, on august 13, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: This complicated looking pedal is surprisingly easy to get a nice sound out of. The manual, coupled with some quick tweaking and searching, will allow you to dial up a very wide range of chorus sounds including just about any you could wish for. After you have read the manual and understand what each knob is doing in each mode (this process took me about 5 mins), you can quickly find exactly what you're looking for. It has 6 different modes, Stereo I/O, guitar/ Bass Switch for different instruments and a Headphone out which is really handy. It also has 4 re-writable presets on it so you can save, and Switch to at any time, your favourite sounds. This is by far the most versatile chorus I've played or heard, but I fear it may take some users a little longer to get used to. There's alota knobs and buttons on this pedal. // 8

Sound: I'm using this with an Epiphone LP Standard, and a Fender FM 212R amp. See my profile for my other effects. This is a really clean chorus. It wont muddy or thin out your sound at all unless you want it to. There are 6 mode settings each with it's own unique characteristics: rich, bass, acoustic, standard, dimensional d, ce-1. Rich is a very in-your-face chorus sound, for those who really want to feel under water. Bass is a standard chorus with a Low-end clarity for metal and heavy riffs. Acoustic is a warmer, softer setting ideal for Acoustic guitars, made to sound like a natural chorus effect. Standard is the most versatile chorus sound. It covers all the basics of a chorus. Dimensional D is modeled on the Roland SDD-320, which has a more crisp sound. It also has some of the weirdest sounds. CE-1 (personal favourite) This mode models the original Boss/Roland CE-1 Chorus pedal. In this mode the rate knob becomes an intensity knob. It is a much smoother warmer chorus than the rest in my opinion. This Allows me to get the chorus sound of John Frusciante without paying through the nose to get an Original CE-1, as well as giving me plenty of other great chorus sounds. My only complaint is it doesnt't quite sound like an analog Chorus. But high marks for trying. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss, it's built like a brick. It'll probably outlast me. Only problem is it's eats batteries like not much else. And it takes AA batteries so now you gotta stock up on a different kind of battery. Or if you're using Power supply make sure you don't daisy chain it with anything that'll push your supply over it's limit. This chorus takes roughly 140 mA. Which means those standard Boss PSA adapters only leave 60mA to play with between your other pedals. Big Power draw loses it points here. // 8

Overall Impression: This fits really well into my music. I play alot of Chili Peppers, Arctic Monkeys, Muse, Pink Floyd, SOAD, Strokes, and plenty of other stuff. I dont use this for everything. Only thing I need now is a nice Delay (probably a Line 6 DL4) and then I can save for my strat. If it were stolen or lost I'd probably keep saving and buy a CE-1 on eBay, just cos I promised myself I would someday. I love the CE-1 and Standard Modes, I hate the Acoustic sound (there nothing really in it), and my favourite feature is the writable presets. The only things I wish it had are the casing, wiring and logos of a Boss CE-1. // 10

CE-20 Chorus Ensemble Reviewed by: WesCThomp, on december 20, 2011

Purchased from: MusicGoRound

Ease of Use: The CE-20 has a great sound and is a great value. If you have ever used a multieffects pedal before it can be simple to use. You can switch between different types of chorus settings from Boss including CE-1, Dimensional D, Standard, Rich, Bass and Acoustic with the turn of a knob. It has a standard stomp box on/off switch on one side. While the other switch is for the memory. For saving in the memory channels you simply set the pedal how you want. Select the memory channel you would like to save to (1-4). And then select write. Like I said before if you are familiar with multieffects pedals and familiar with saving presets, it can be easy to grasp. If not the manual can be handy for you. // 8

Sound: I use the pedal with an Ibanez Prestige and a Fender Strat running through a Marshall amp. It has great sound with both. Each effect setting has its benefits and stands out. My favorite part is the E.Level. You can add depth to you sound and make a great tone by adjusting this setting. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very reliable. Its got the Boss metal casing and can take a lot of beating. I bought mine used a year ago and have yet to have a problem with it. Everything seems to be in great shape. Like most Boss built pedals this one seems to be made at the same great quality. // 10

Overall Impression: The CE-20 is a pedal that is worth the money. I have been using the pedal for about a year now. I bought it used from a local store and was in great shape. I would recommend this pedal to anyone wanting a great chorus tone. Boss makes great pedals with great tone and they done it again here. There is always room for improvement with anything, but right now I am very happy with this design. // 9

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ CH-1 Super Chorus 8.3 Guitar Effects 04/03/2014