CE-2 Chorus Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 07/20/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: CE-2 Chorus
2 dials (rate and depth), easy to use.
 Ease of Use: 10
 9.4
 9.4
 9.3
reviews (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
CE-2 Chorus Reviewed by: Melchior, on september 11, 2003

Purchased from: Cash Converters

Ease of Use: This pedal has an simple function, and is increadably simple to use. There are only 2 dials (rate and depth) to adjust to how you want... very very easy // 10

Sound: I use this peadal through my semi-decent practice amp (peavy rage 158, 40 watt)with my 2 guitars (casino strat copy and samic hollowbody) and my bass (ashton ab400) and quite frankly it works great. For an idea of the exact sound you get out of this listen to the 'twangy' part from smells like teen spirit, hear that twang, thats this pedal. The downside of this pedal is that the range of sound is very small as there are not to many things you can adjust. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is rock solid, i've had it thrown at my head, it hit a brick wall, and worked fine straight after. Another plus is that the batterys last for AGES!, with lots of my other pedals they run out very fast, this one is... well magic i guess. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this pedal, it's nice and simple and sounds great. I play many styles of music and i can utalise this pedal in a lot of them. From acoustic-esque fingerpicking stuff to mega-distorted metal solos this adds a very nice, somthing, to the sound. On it's own the pedal isn't anything to great, but when run with a distortion, flanger, wah, delay and whatever other pedals you can get it's exelent. I peronaly prefer having many pedals as oposed to a multi-effects board as it is easier to switch between efects while playing, if your like that, get this pedal and you won't regret it. If you don't like the idea of a lot of pedals, go for a multi-efects type doovey is probably a much better (and cheeper) buy // 8

CE-2 Chorus Reviewed by: DrCOOL, on july 20, 2010

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: This pedals is beyond easy to use. It's 2 knobs. Not very hard to dial anything in. Which I much prefer. Most chorus pedals now are too much. Like the Boss Super Chorus I owned. Too many knobs. In this case I feel that less is definitely more. It's plug, dial, stomp, play. Of course this pedal has been discontinued since the 80's. Boss will tell you 82 but its more like 87. And I bought it used so it didn't have a manual. But BOSSUS.com has the manual in PDF form free for download. After looking at it its pretty much straight forward as to how to operate the pedal. // 10

Sound: I'm using this with my Marshall JVM410 in the effects loop. As for guitars I have 16 different ones but we'll just go with my main les paul. The sound is great and exactly what I was looking for. Not overpowering but you can hear it and it cleans up and adds some ZAZZ to you clean tone. I'm a pretty old school guy looking for an old school chorus sound. Think sounds like GNR's "Paradise City"opening or their cover of "Knockin' on Heavens Door". Or think Whitesnake's "Is This Love." It's a very 80's chorus BUT it's versatile as well as classic. You an easily get a great modern sound out of this. And if you feel that the rate isn't happening for you you can always look up and do the simple and easy "Keely Mod." With distortion it sounds good and gives you some more string definition and some fatter tone and with delay it's great too. This is an 1985 Green Label MIJ one. I've heard that the black and green label MIJ are better sounding than the green labels made in taiwan after 85. That I couldn't tell you because I've not owned the MIT one. That's some sound searching for you to do on your own. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a BOSS. They're built like tanks. And considering that this is a used pedal from 1985 that I just bought and it still working flawlessly I'd say it's pretty durable and reliable. I don't worry about battery life because I use an external power block for my board so I don't worry about it dying out fast or anything. I would gig with out a backup because 1)their expensive and I'm not buying another and 2)I have no doubt that it can preform every time. I've never had any trouble like that with any Boss products I've ever owned. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything. Rock, metal, jazz, folk, classical, etc. You name it I do. I've been playing for 15 years. I have plenty of guitars and other pedals But I'm mainly running a Marshall JVM 410H out a Marshall 4x12 cab with some goodies in the rack and on the floor. I'd say this Chorus, in my world, is a dream come true. I had one almost similar. An old DOD waaaaay back in the day but it crapped out and I've been searching for something to replace it well ever since. This is by far better than that old DOD I had. I couldn't be happier with it. It does what I want it to do and well and really does work for all things. Especially when you want to get your 80's hair metal power ballad moments on! LOL. Anyway like I said I prefer the 2 knob operation and its the best chrous I've played and I played many trying to replace the old DOD and was never happy till now. Not a bad thing I can say about this pedal. If it were stolen (because it won't die) I'd definitely shell out the cash for another. Hope this helped you guys. // 10

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ GT-100 Amp Effects Processor 8 Guitar Effects 07/07/2014