CH-1 Super Chorus Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 04/03/2014 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: CH-1 Super Chorus
This unique stereo chorus delivers a clean chorus sound with crystal-clear highs and a unique stereo effect, variable between the left and right speakers. An EQ function adjusts the tonality of the chorus sound.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Ease of Use: 8.2
 8.3
 8.6
reviews (5) pictures (2) 22 comments vote for this gear:
CH-1 Super Chorus Reviewed by: joyous_pain1221, on april 29, 2008

Ease of Use: Setting up the sound you want takes a while, due to all the knobs. It has an effect level knob, equalizer knob, rate, and depth. But After a few minutes you start to get the hang of it. The manual was pretty explanitory, for sure it was not printed in China. It has not been upgraded, except for new batteries. But that's inevitable. // 8

Sound: I am using it with a Diamond Run Gibson ES 335, in all colors, and the Tom Delonge ES 333. I am using a Mesa Triple Rectifier solo head, with lots of Mesa Cabs. It is only as loud as you have your amp, basically it is matched with your guitar. It always sounds good except when you turn the rate all the way up. You can get the verse effect from Down almost perfectly. It is great for chords and individual notes and make finger tapping sound great. The effects are excellent. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is so durable that I dropped it from a 3 story building, plugged it in, and thanks to the metal case, works like a charm. And a splash of water doesn't hurt as loge as it isn't in the input or output hole. I would definately tak it to a gig without any replacement. And it is AC adaptor compatible, so if you don't like batteries, there you go, no need for them. // 9

Overall Impression: I play hardcore and AVA type stuff, beautiful match. I have been playing a year, I own a lot of Gibson Es 335s, Es 339s and 2 Tom Delonge ES 333s. I use a lot of Mesa stacks/halfstacks. And I own almost every other Boss effect pedal, including the new acoustic sim. The only thing I wish I asked before buying would be if it came in green. I like green pedals. If it were stolen or lost I'd buy two more! 'Cause it's awesome! I love everything about it. My favorite feature would be the rate knob, by itself it sounds so cool! Like a spring or something cool, I sorta compared it to other pedals in the manner that I own most every other one. I chose this to try to complete my working collection. I wish the LED would change colors just for beauty effect. // 9

CH-1 Super Chorus Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 01, 2011

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Ease of Use: It is a very easy to use chorus, with knobs for Effect Level (how much chorus is added to dry signal), EQ (simple but useful Tone), Rate (speed of the effect) and Depth (how deep is the effect going to be). Very easy to dial your tone, although it does not offer a big variety of sounds. I dont have the manual as I bought it secondhand but Ive read it and it is very easy to understand and has spaces for you to write your settings. Another great thing is that it has Stereo Outputs. // 9

Sound: Currently using it with a Laney LG35R amplifier (not tube, but very nice clean amp), and mainly with a Fender mexican Tele, sometimes with other guitars. It sounds very nice with arpeggios and single notes, and it can be a very discrete chorus in some settings, which I like. With chords, it does sound very well but a little bit low, for chords I would prefer the CE-5 Chorus ensemble. Clean it is not noisy at all. With distortion it sounds really good, I usally put either a MT-2 Metal Zone, DS-2 Turbo Distortion or an OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion. For power chords and solos, it is one of the best chorus out there, although it does become noisy with hard distortion, making the buzzes vibrate. Another important thing, around 2001 Boss changed the circuits in the CH-1 from analog to digital, if you have one with the serial number starting with P1 or earlier, you have the analog version. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is a Boss, very sturdy and resistant, mine has already taken a decade of abuse and still sounds perfect. I think I would use it without a backup, but always using the PSA adaptor, I never run on batteries. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff, jazz, blues, rock and funk. It is not Frusciante's sound - for that, I need a CE-1, but that's a bit rare to find. For jazz, it is very nice, as it can be discrete on the low freqs and shimmer on the highs, and chord melodies sound great on it. I asked some things before buying, and tried it at the store. It is a good chorus for solos and distortion, as well as a jazz discrete chorus, but if you want vibe and chorus-flanging sounds, you may want to look at another place. I love the stereo outputs, really nice, it is also in my opinion the best chorus to combine with a delay. It has all the feautures you want on a basic chorus, but nothing too loud or radical. // 9

CH-1 Super Chorus Reviewed by: Kaserblade, on april 03, 2014

Ease of Use: Pretty easy pedal to use. It was one of my first pedals I've ever used and after reading the simple set of instructions that came with the pedal (and an online copy), I was able to use the pedal perfectly fine. With some practice, I was able to learn how to get a variety of sounds from the pedal. With the 4 knobs there is a variety of sounds to be made and it is pretty easy to discover the perfect chorus sound from this pedal after few minutes of messing around with the settings. I haven't modified my pedal and I don't see any reason to modify this pedal. Pretty easy pedal to use. // 9

Sound: I love the sound from the Boss CH-1 Super Chorus. It gives doesn't distort the signal or affect the tone. It gives a warm, bright "chorus" sound which gives a nice touch to almost everything I play in my worship band. I like to use it with a overdrive pedal on a low gain setting or just the pedal alone. I used it with a variety amps and it sounds consistent and very nice on all the amps I've used so far. The effect is also very adjustable with the knobs so you can get a small light chorus sound to a full on guitar choir from the pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Like all other pedals from this brand, the pedals has a sturdy metal casing and the knobs are made tough. I dropped this pedal accidentally few times and there is no scratch or noticeable difference in the sound of produced by the pedal. From what I heard, Boss pedals last on average for around 20-30 years which is a long time and I can totally see why this pedal can last a long time. The pedal is self feels tough and durable and it has survived countless drops and hits yet the pedal still sounds really good. One of the most durable and reliable pedal I've seen. Never went wrong on me after months of using it constantly. // 10

Overall Impression: I play in my worship band and this pedal fits in everywhere with the adjustment of the settings of the pedal. I've been using this pedals for months and I absolutely love it. It is a versatile pedal. I use it to from just making my tone warmer to giving ambient swells a way better sound. I got recommended from reviews on UG and a variety of sites and videos to buy this pedal as my chorus pedals and it was definitely worth buying this pedal. Would definitely buy another one if I lost it or accidentally broke it. (Also came with complimentary Boss sticker which I put on my case XD). // 8

CH-1 Super Chorus Reviewed by: Guitarlolz, on december 21, 2009

Ease of Use: It takes a little bit of knob twiddling to get it to sound the way you want it. The manual is helpful and has spots for you to right your settings down. Its not too hard to figure it out though. Its not as confusing as some other pedals but not as simple, its in the middle. // 8

Sound: It sounds pretty good. Not the best chorus pedal out there but very good for the money. Its can be subtle and even penetrating but its not the lushest as others. Some people prefer it subtle or penetrating over lushness but I still think its a good buy either way. It sounds good on most settings. You can't get that intense chorus but still. Sounds good with distortion too, think of Spirit of the Radio. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Its a Boss. Enough said. I'd gig without a backup. That's pretty much it, the knobs are recessed, its made all of metal and there is no MXR style Switch that might break if dropped on from a good height. Its got a handy little thumbscrew so you can pop batteries in and out pretty easily. // 10

Overall Impression: It fits well with the styles I play but you wish it had a little toggle switch like a thick and thin switch so you could have the subtle penetrating stuff or a thick swirly chorus forest of lushness. If it was stolen I'd save up more money and buy a boutique chorus, probably a Wampler Nirvana Chorus (it's new you should check it out but its pricey) Its a great buy for a chorus pedal though and its cheap enough to be a beginners first pedal as well. // 7

CH-1 Super Chorus Reviewed by: FunkySpider, on june 08, 2010

Price paid: € 50

Purchased from: Second-Hand

Ease of Use: I didn't get the manual with it, because I bought it second hand. It's easy to get a regular nice sounding chorus out of it. It's just as easy to get a crazy sound with it. I have one from before the digital era (it is from 1993), so its all analog. Mine is not true bypass, but I think the newer models are. It has a E. Level, EQ, Rate & depth knob. It also features a stereo output. // 7

Sound: I have a Squier Strat as guitar & my amp is a Vox Pathfinder 15R, nothing special. I also use a few other pedals, naming a little big muff, a Boss OD-3 and DS-1 and a Dunlop wah. It can sound like a kurt cobain chorus, but its not an exact replica. Clean it sounds stunning good. I read some bad reviews about it, but I think this chorus is really good. I'm definitly not a chorus expert, but to my ears it's good. Thanks to the EQ twist knob you can make it sound dark or crisp. Push the rate all the way up and you get somewhat fast-phaser a like sound, but set depth & Depth at around 1'o clock and the rate about 11, and you have a nice sounding chorus. In stereo it is even a better chorus. It really swirls all over the place, but stays subtle. With a distortion or Overdrive pedal it sounds okay, nothing special. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's a boss. It's a tank. Nothing more to say. It wont let you down, no backup needed. Its built to last a nuclear war. It might even be able to live on the sun! Don't be afraid of dropping this thing of anything, it'll survive it easily. Again, its a boss, it has been said enough that those things are indestructible. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 2 years, playing most jimi hendrix songs easily and rocking some RHCP, nirvana & satana. This chorus is great for the ballads. One problem is, if you have to cables I have, the stereo outputs are to close to each other. This way I have to unwrap one of them. If it was stolen I'd probably look for another, in my search of tones. But if I had to Pick anything in this budget, I'd Pick this one. // 8

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ PW-2 Power driver 8 Guitar Effects 02/25/2014