DD-3 Digital Delay Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 07/06/2015 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: DD-3 Digital Delay
This compact pedal provides a digital delay effect with outstanding quality equivalent to that of a dedicated rack-mount delay unit. In addition to 3 delay time modes, a Delay Time control is furnished, giving you speedy, precise adjustment of delay time continuously within a range of 12.5ms to 800ms. The hold function repeats the delay indefinitely.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Ease of Use: 9.3
 9.5
 9.8
 9.2
reviews (3) pictures (2) 23 comments vote for this gear:
DD-3 Digital Delay Reviewed by: copperhead666, on april 03, 2006

Ease of Use: This thing has 4 knobs, so it is easy to get a really good sound out of it. If you Google Boss DD-3 settings, you can find all sorts of patches and settings. The manual just tells you what each knob does. This unit was direct from the Guitarworks ware house; I presume that it has not been modified. // 10

Sound: I have an Epiphone SG 310, Boss DS-1 and a really bad amp. This thing makes no noise whatsoever. If you turn the Feedback control to 5 o'clock, the sound oscillated like an old analog delay, it is really cool. This is a Boss pedal, so the effects are always going to sound great. Yes, you can even get the "Welcome To The Jungle" intro slapback delay effect, it is right on. Last night, I was messing around with the controls, and completely by accident, I found a really cool phaser/flanger sound. Sometimes, you can get a neat octave effect too. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a tank. It weighs a whole pound and has the usual 1/8 inch metal housing and rubber non-slip bottom. I can't afford a backup delay pedal, but I would bring a spare battery just in case. // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal and rock, this pedal is a great match. I've been playing 2 1/2 years and have an Epiphone SG 310 and a Boss DS-1. I wish that I could have bought a small cable for between the two pedals, but it's too late. If it got stolen, I would find the robber and make him eat 9-volt batteries. I really like the hold feature; you play a short riff or a note then push the pedal down and hold it. You can change the speed/pitch while doing this by twisting the 'Delay Time' knob. I compared this with the DD-5 and DD-6, and they were too danged expensive, I didn't want to buy a crappy, $30 Danelectro Echo pedal either, this was the best. The pedal is great the way it is, but I would like to change the colour, white is not my favourite colour. // 10

DD-3 Digital Delay Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 21, 2005

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

Ease of Use: Well it's a Boss, so only 4 knobs (effect level, feedback time, delay time and delay mode) to fiddle with. But with only 4 knobs it still does its job, it's just the process of fiddlin' and twiddlin' till you get the desired effect. It does come with a manual with some examples but theres no need for them its your sound. This is the upgrade of the famous '80s/'90s DD-2 and has exactly the same options but just better sound, if you want the more featured expensive one go for the DD-5. // 10

Sound: This pedal has a great sound (obviously) as its delay. The features are great to imitate Tom Morello type delays and his good old toggle switchin' tricks which you can master with this or Incubus type delay or though Mikey E doesn't use this pedal but it does the job, with distortion its perfect for reverb like sounds for solos or Radiohead like verse parts etc. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's Boss, need I say more? // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly play alternative prog with a metal like twist and this is great for slow lead breaks and just your plain old Incubus like delayed chords etc. I've been playing for 3 years and I didnt know how to live until I got this pedal I own the BF-3, PH-3, TR-2, GE-7 and a Cry Baby through a Marshall TSL60 half stack and this pedal is the fruit of the loom of my overall sound and I couldnt live without one. I was going to go for the Line 6 delay modulator but thats just a DD-3 with 4 switches on it and cost's almost double the price of it. The pedal is excellent but the only feature I would add is a tempo tap feature like on the PH-3 and BF-3 so when your playing a song with a different time you can just change it by holding itdown and tapping it. // 10

DD-3 Digital Delay Reviewed by: Gab_Azz, on july 06, 2015

Price paid: € 125

Purchased from: Music Link Malta

Ease of Use: In general it is easy to use the unit. The first 3 knobs are what is generally present on most delay pedals: dry to wet mix; number of repeats and delay time. They may have a different name but do the same function. The other knob is used to select the mode. The modes are clearly illustrated below the third knob. Basically the mode is to set delay time between short, medium and long. There is also a hold function. The pedal is self explanatory and it is easy to understand the function of each control. Getting a decent sound is quite easy. Setting the D.time setting can be a bit tricky as very small change on the knob results in a noticeable difference. Getting it perfect can sometimes take a bit of time. // 8

Sound: Being a digital delay unit, the repeats sound clean and clear. The repeats are particularly clear and have bold top end presence even when compared to other digital delays. I use the DD-3 in the effects loop of a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I prefer the sound of the DD-3 when placed in the effects loop after modulation effects rather than before the amplifier. I generally use it to enhance distorted lead parts and solos. Also, I find it great for clean repeats even with modulation. Generally I use chorus or phaser to compliment this pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The pedal has a cast metal housing which should provide great mechanical protection. Instead of rubber feet, it has a rubber bottom that works well on most floor surfaces. The knobs and pots also feel very sturdy. My pedal survived a few gigs. The pedal in general looks like it could take a beating. My biggest concern of damaging the pedal is more of electric faults. I try to use it with a decent power supply unit. It's current draw is fairly low for a digital unit and this allows it to be supplied by most PSUs. Mine never failed. // 9

Overall Impression: The pedal is a great pedal for nice clean and clear repeats. I do not use it instead of an analogue delay, but more of a different effect than the analogue counterpart. This gives me flexibility. The biggest let down of this pedal is that the delays do not trail when you switch off the pedal. Also, it lacks tap tempo delay. I have been playing for 14 years, and this is my favourite delay unit. It is able to produce really clear repeats and to my ears it is the best digital delay I tried before buying it. My favourite feature, even though it is not particularly important, is the colour and finish of the pedal. It is a nice piece of gear. // 10

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ BB-1X Bass Driver 7.9 Bass Effects 06/26/2015