DD-6 Digital Delay Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 07/30/2007 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: DD-6 Digital Delay
The DD-6 Digital Delay is the first BOSS delay pedal to offer true stereo delay and panning effects. Features include built-in tap tempo capability and a delay/hold time of over 5 seconds (5,200ms).
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Ease of Use: 8.3
 9.3
 9.6
reviews (6) 19 comments vote for this gear:
DD-6 Digital Delay Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 24, 2005

Ease of Use: This is not exactly the easiest effect to operate but if you read the manual you should have no problems at all. The reason it is a bit difficult to use at first is that it has so many features EG reverse mode, over 5 seconds in hold mode and many more. Once you read the manual and practice using the pedal a bit you will be blown away with what this unit can do it's great. // 8

Sound: I use this pedal with a USA Big Muff Pi, Vox Wah, Ibanez 7th Heaven (worst pedal ever), Squire Strat, and a Marshall MG100DFX. It sounds great it can make a subtle diference to your sound or a huge difference depending on what you have it set on. The only time this baby is noisy is when I'm making it osscillate which sounds awesome. Another great feature this unit has is warp mode which when the pedal is pressed down builds up more and more feedback and noise. This can sound quite good in the heavier songs to give them a more chaotic sound. I listen mostly to 90's rock EG Grunge stuff like that and my favourite band is the Smashing Pumpkins. I find I can get quite a pumpkiny sound out of this pedal particularly a siamese dream type sound, think hummer. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely gig without a backup. It's a Boss! // 10

Overall Impression: I play shrump rock and and it suits my style perfectly. I have been playing for a bout 9 months but I'm a quick learner. As I said before I have a Squier Strat (I don't mind it), USA Big Muff Pi (best distortion ever), Vox Wah (an essential part of my sound), a 7th Heaven (worst distortion ever but acts as a noise gate) and a Marshall MG100DFX. If it were lost or stolen I would search for it for at least a week non stop and if I found the guy that stole it I would get the dd6 back and let him go I mean who could blame him. If I couldn't find it I would try to buy anotherone but probably wouldn't be able to afford it as I bought it on sale 25% off and it normally costs $500! I didn't compare it to any other delays I just got this one because it was reduced to $380 and had more features than the other delays and it was compact aswell so it wouldn't take up to much space on a pedal board. To sum it up in one sentence "this is the best delay ever." // 10

DD-6 Digital Delay Reviewed by: Gutch220, on january 10, 2005

Purchased from: MusiciansFriend.com

Ease of Use: This peddle is very versitile. Which means at first it can be complicated to use. But within a couple of hours of using it you will know how to use it inside and out. There are 4 knobs (volume, feedback, delay level, and mode). The first three are common to most delay peddles, but the Mode knob controls tempo, as well as giving you "hold," "reverse" and "warp" function which are all very usefull and worth every penny. There are 2 imputs and 2 outputs which allow for true stereo panning and/or two instruments plugged in at once. The manual is very complete and clear. // 8

Sound: I use this pedal with a Les Paul, Strat, Casino, and other guitars through a Marshall JCM900 and other effects. The sound quality it great no matter what gear you have. This is probably the best delay stomp box in the world right now. I can't stress the quality of the effect enough. This pedal will fit in with any other effects loops you have. The "reverse" effect is worth the price alone. You can also record your own looping track at a max length of 5. 2 seconds. This feature is also worth the price. It is very easy to get the desired delay of another artist once you learn how to use the pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Since it's a Boss you could probably throw it out of a moving car on the highway and it will still work. The exterior is basic. Just a strong metal casing with a simple spring opertated pedal. As long as it has a battery it will work. I recommend getting the power supply so you can use it forever. // 10

Overall Impression: I play many styles of music and this pedal can adapt to them all. I have been playing for many years and this is the best Delay pedal I have ever come across. I don't know how Boss is going to one-up the features on this pedal (maybe 10 seconds of loop time). With many other products; once you get them they don't seem as great as you expected but this pedal only gets better. If it was stolen I would buy another one right away. The quality and versatility of sound is unsurpassed. I love the 100% wet reverse effect and the stereo panning. // 10

DD-6 Digital Delay Reviewed by: super_richie, on january 02, 2006

Ease of Use: Looks more complicated than it actually is. The DD-6 takes a bit of time getting used to but once explored the possibilities are endless. It is very easy to get good sound from it. It also has a very good detailed manual telling you just about everything about it. // 8

Sound: Because this pedal is so versatile, some of the settings you get will sound bad; but again when you get used to using it you can achieve brilliant background feedbacks and with a delay tome of 5.2 seconds; I don't think that any other can match. Features include tap-tempo, reverse, warp and a hold function which all sound brilliant. I use this with a Fender amp, Vintage guitar, Marshall Bluesbreaker II, and Ibanez PH-7 Phase. So a real mixed bag. So if it sounds brilliant on my set; imagine what it sounds like with a Marshall amp and Gibson! // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss, and from what I have heard is true, that they make the best effects pedals around. And I haven't questioned the DD-6 since I have bought it once. It's tough (built like a brick) but not that heavy so is ideal performance material; although every rose has its thorn. It has one floor, it uses up more power than anything I have seen; if you get a DD-6 seriously consider getting a Boss power supply as it has an attachment for it. It takes the powerful 9-V batteries; I used the highest power Duracell ones and it still eats through them like a Piranha fish. So definately a power supply at gigs. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a bit of traditional rock-blues, and many other types and the DD-6 does me fine; although I'm not that good yet and have only been playing for a couple of years. Bus as I said I have very few complaints about it if any. If it were lost so stolen I would buy another one if I had the money. I think that the tap-tempo mode is the best feture, and thats what set it apart from my other choices. I think that the only delay pedal you could get which is better than this one is if in a few years it upgrades itself or you buy this huge delay pedal board which has a few more unnessecery features and sets you back hundreds. If you need a decent delay, buy this one! // 10

DD-6 Digital Delay Reviewed by: Gimpneek, on february 07, 2007

Purchased from: Sutton Music Store

Ease of Use: This pedal is a God, my friend has a DD-3 and I fell in love with that, then oneday I got to have a go on its big brother, and it blew me away. There are 2 input and 2 output jacks on the sides to give it true stereo, and it's all housed in the Tough Boss chasis, so you know it'll take a beating well. As with most new Boss pedals the DD-6 has a tap tempo option. There are 4 blue knobs on the pedal: effect level which changes the mix of delay and source sound, feedback which changes how heavy each repitition is, delay time which changes how fast each repitition is and mode of which there is 7 (warp, hold, reverse, 80ms, 300ms, 800ms, 2600ms). I'l now explain the modes a little. Warp is a great mode for adding a cresendo kinda sound to your playing, when the effect is activated it has a normal delay sound but holding down the pedal makes the feedback and effect level rise means you get some pretty epic sound coming out of your amp. Hold, in this mode you hold down the pedal and record upto 5.2 seconds for a loop, if you exceed the time it still records so means you can add layer upon layer, this is good for making a backing band for yourself. Reverse is the mode that sold the pedal for me, it reverses what you play in! It's great for making some really odd solo's, riffs or just for mucking about. 80ms, very short delay, if you turn the delay time all the way down it makes the sound go a octave higher, so it's effectivly also an octave shifter. 300ms: Short delay, good for playing old school rock with delay. 800ms: Long delay, this is the one I use mainly. 2600ms: stupidly long delay, but great for building up a wall of sound. I found that with all the delay modes (80-2600ms) that twisting the delay time while it was activated made a really kool scratching sound kinda like vinyl, which would also be repeated in the next repitition, so you could also be a DJ. Now for packaging. The DD-6 comes in a blue topped Boss box, includes the product catalouge and other standard stuff, It comes with peel off stickers that explain the modes etc and a Manual, the manual is pretty intense, so best save it for a little bedtime reading if you wanna read it all. not that you need it, just experiment and find what you like. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 going through a DS-1, Ph-3, DD-6 and a Gorrila TubeCrunch amp and the pedal works great. only prob is that you may want to turn your distortion down, if you want to layer a clean melody of a distorted rythm. I have had no problems what so ever with this pedal, it still amazes me on how many options there is on the thing, and iv had it for half a year. Even though I mainly play heavy rock, Grunge, and alternative, you can get almost any style out of this thing, anyone whos into prog I highly recommend this, the reverse sounds just like King Crimson, the delay is 2112-esque, and if you love Sonic Youth, you can go wrong with this baby. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As this pedal is a Boss pedal you can expect the usual Boss longlife and tank like design, I'v beaten the hell out this pedal so many times and the only thing that's happened to it is that the rubber has got a bit dirty. I use a power adaptor with my pedals as I have 2 other Boss pedals, but have the battery inside just incase, it can be accessed via twisting the little thumb screw at the end, The battery hasn't run out yet. // 10

Overall Impression: Even though I don't use it too much in my music, it's a great pedal for idea brewing. I find that when I use it on a song that it's normally at the breakdown or end to give a lingering to the sound, or as I said before to make a eerie cresendo sound. I love the pedal, the only issue I have is it's price, it's pretty expensive, only for people Who really want it really bad, but then the features make that up. // 10

DD-6 Digital Delay Reviewed by: gutterButter, on july 30, 2007

Ease of Use: While I'll agree with the others here that the pedal is a little complicated at first, all you have to do is read the manual (heaven forbid) and you'll be set. Seriously, once you understand exactly what knobs do what in what modes (some do slightly different things depending), you'll fall in love with this pedal in no time at all. // 9

Sound: I've had this running from my American Deluxe Strat (noiseless single-coils)/Cort CL-1500 (a semi-hollowboby with two humbuckers)>Boss OC-3>Danelectro Daddy-O>Boss DD-6>Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212 and it still sounds wonderful (that's an octave pedal to Overdrive to delay to a tube amp). Normally, I'll just pair it with the amp's reverb and it sounds wonderful. As for the three "special" delays: Hold - this is real real neat. It's basically a 5.2 second (max) semi-looper that allows you to overdub Live sounds and then overdub more sounds. To give an quick easy example, I can easily play the White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army" with the bass (with my octave pedal) while recording with the "Hold," then actually overdub the bass drum part by palm muting my octaved low E-string and that'll play until I turn the pedal off. Reverse - it does just what you'd think, it essentially reverses the note you play at the set tempo. You can however get some real neat effects with this. With it implemented lightly, you get a nice full sound to riffs. You can also get some real "trippy" sounds if you tune it in correctly but then you can also get some real real crappy sounds if you don't. Warp - this is a basic tempo delay, until you hold down the pedal. Basically, it causes the sound going through the pedal to increase in volume indefinitely until you release it, at which time is comfortably fades back to normal. Once you add in the delay times and feedback, you can get some real neat sounds. this is quite possibly one of my favorite effects ever. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a tank. Minus about 60 tons or so but with the same gas millage. Seriously it eats batteries like it's cool. You can always get the adapter or the Boss pedal board (if you have a bunch of pedals, but don't want a mess of wires). // 10

Overall Impression: Comparatively, I haven't been playing very long (only two years), but I know enough to know that this is a wonderful pedal, regardless of music style unless that style isn't really suited for delays. Like anything with heavy distortion. But why would you want to use a delay for that anyway? And if you're just buying it for the 5.2 seconds of overdubbing loopage, just buy a looper. Seriously. // 10

DD-6 Digital Delay Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2005

Purchased from: Bob's Guitars

Ease of Use: I'm gonna be toally honest here, this thing take a good couple of hours maybe even more to get the feel of things. The setting that it tells you in the manual are actually pretty good so you can look at then and adjust from there. But one you know what your doing you shouldn't have any probloms getting a good sound. // 8

Sound: I'm using it through a 73 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe and a 86 Peavey Backstage Plus (a big POS) but it still sounds fantastic. Well you can get the sound of ne artist with it really cause alot use delay and to me delay effect dont have a huge difference between them not that I know of at least. I also use a Vox Wah and a DS-1 with it and sound very good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss, need I say more? // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly blues and classic rock and they mesh well together. I've been playing for about three years now and it's a great pedal for where I'm at now experiance-wise. There's nothing to really hate about this pedal, it's the best delay pedal out there in this writer's humble opinion. My favorite feature by far is the 5.2 sec of playback, I know what your thinking only 5.2! but you can get alot done in 5 seconds. Works really well for soloing. Don't get discouraged when you first get it thinking it's a bad overpriced pedal, it's a great pedal if you know how to use it, just remeber to spend plenty of time with it. // 10

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ GT-100 Amp Effects Processor 8 Guitar Effects 07/07/2014