DD-7 Digital Delay Review

9.1
 9.8
reviews (10) pictures (2) 32 comments vote for this gear:
DD-7 Digital Delay Reviewed by: tickler444, on december 10, 2008

Ease of Use: This pedal seems to be an upgrade of the Boss DD-6, which has been extensively reviewed on this site. It shares a lot of similarities (number and function of the knobs) with this previous model, and adds longer delays and a couple of new features. For instance, you can now go up to 6.4sec delay (mode 3200ms long), and record up to 40sec in Hold mode to do overdubs or solo rhythms. The Reverse and Warp modes are remnants of the aforementioned DD-6 pedal. New modes include Modulate, which is similar to a chorus effect, and Analog which emulates discontinued DM-2 (analog delay) pedal. One last thing the DD-6 didn't have and that is included here: the tap tempo can be set using an external foot Switch. The first 3 knobs (Level, F'Back, and D'Time) are standard on pretty much any delay pedal, so it was very intuitive at first to use it straight out of the box. Reading the manual was really helpful to figure out what the 'Mode' knob does, especially regarding the new or unusual features. It even comes with a few recommended settings to get particular sounds. Overall, after reading the manual, you can get a good idea of what this pedal is capable of after a couple hours of playing around. I haven't tweaked the electronics in any way, I guess the store technicians either, so it has all the stock specs. // 9

Sound: I play a Gibson LP Classic and a Schecter Damien through a Boss OS-2 (Overdrive/Distortion) and Line 6 Spider II 30W amp. I don't get any noise when using this pedal. The intensity of the effects can be readily tuned with the first 3 knobs, so the quality of the sound is easily adjusted. My favorite feature is the Hold mode, which provides the ability of recording pretty long riffs, and playing them in loop. I tried recording a clean riff, then kicked in some distortion and soloed over it. It sounds pretty nice. The Reverse mode is really cool too; it creates crazy moods like from late 60's / early 70's psychedelic rock. I just wish there were a tap tempo mode that would not require a separate foot Switch (e.g. Boss FS-5U) and/or expression pedal (e.g. Boss EV-5). // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's the usual Boss pedal design: reliable electronic enclosed in a sturdy metal casing. You can drop it, kick it,... (within reasonable limits, of course), and it's not going to suffer. The only concern is the battery life. Make sure you unplug the input cable, or you'll run out of power within a couple of hours. Otherwise, if you play Live a lot, use the power adapter. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about 5 years, anything from classic rock (Aerosmith, Black Sabbath) to modern-day metal (Mastodon, Lamb Of God). The pedal comes with so many modes, that after playing with the knobs a few seconds, you can get any delay. Again, my favorite feature is a the Hold mode Before buying it, I asked a guitar tech to show me the new features, then I played a bit with it. I didn't really compare it to delay pedals from other manufacturers. I simply went for the Boss brand name, because it is so popular and gets great reviews. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely by another one. The many built-in features and overall quality justify the price. I guess the only thing it needs is the tap tempo mode, but a simple foot Switch can take care of that. // 9

DD-7 Digital Delay Reviewed by: tryhonesty, on december 15, 2008

Price paid: C$ 179.99

Purchased from: Music World

Ease of Use: It is so unbeleivably easy to get this pedal to sound fantastic. I haven't had mine for too long but this thing sounds great.The manual is also easy to use too.it says very simply how to get it working. It only took me 5 minutes to understand how to use it, and about a half hour until I found my best combination of feedback, delay time ect. // 9

Sound: The DD-7 Has fantastic sound with pretty much any setup. I used this with my Friends les Paul and a different friends SG and it sound great still.It is really hard to get the sound of other guitarists without looking at their pedals themselves, but it is doable. I tried to get the same sound as Slash on welcome to The Jungle. It took me a while But I did get it.The Pedal has lots of features. Here's a list of what it has: -2 inputs/outputs -Lelel -Feedback -Delay Time -Hold -Reverse -Analog -Modulate -and length of delay // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is my only pedal, so I would have to go to as gig using this with no backup. but I wouldn't be worried at all that it would break becuase( like all Boss Pedals) this thing is built like a tank. It's probably going to be the longest lasting pedal you'll ever get or use. // 10

Overall Impression: The Boss DD-7 is great for almost everything that I play. I play some soft stuff, and some heavey metal, and this compact pedal does everything I want a delay pedal to do.I Play a Fender Strat with it and a Peavey amplifier. it's a great match.If this was stolen, I would get another one right away becuase this is my only Delay Pedal. I have no Backup so this is my main Delay.The only thing I wish it had was longer battery life, the thing only lasts for 6 hours on a 9V battary. // 8

DD-7 Digital Delay Reviewed by: MrFlibble, on january 19, 2009

Purchased from: Duck, Son & Pinker

Ease of Use: This is Boss' foremost Digital Delay pedal. This is probably the best delay unit I've ever come across, though that's not to say it's flawless. The main problem this pedal has is it can get a little confusing. It has many modes, which I'll explain later, but the core modes - the basic repeating delay - overlap each other, so you can have a hard time working out which to settle on. For example, you can have it set to 800ms delay, but then turn the delay time knob all the way and now it's delaying at 3200ms, the same as the basic 3200ms setting - so which do you use? The manual does little to help this, really you've got to experiment with your full gear to work out which exact setting gets you the right tone you want. Even when two settings are supposed to act the same they will sound slightly differently. Lord help you if you ever get this in the right position then someone else comes and messes around with it - you'll probably never get your correct settings back again. The tap tempo and hold settings are also misleading, more on that later. // 6

Sound: The general sound of the basic delay is very good. It does what it needs to; it takes your signal then repeats it at lessening volumes at the speed and number of times you tell it to. There's not really much else to say in this respect, it's simply a really good delay pedal. The things to talk about are what I call the 'bonus' modes. There are five extra settings this pedal has which make it stand out, and these each provide a very different sound from the typical delay pedal effect. The first is a Modulation tone. This works like the regular delay, but it adds a slight chorus effect. This isn't as good as getting a dedicated chorus pedal and using that with the DD-7 at the same time, but if you want to turn delay and chorus on at the same time or don't have the room for two pedals, this does a more than good enough job. You have to be careful though as this effect is rather strong. The second is an Analog Delay tone. This is a digital copy of the older analog delay pedals Boss used to make. It adds slight tonal variations to each repeat in the delay, increasing/decreasing treble or bass, and every once in a while it will change to a weaker version of the Modulation's chorus effect. It's a very interesting effect and great with calmer, traditional styles of music, though it's a bit too random to 'trust' for precise metal playing or so on. Third effect is the hold effect. This is basically a 40 second loop. The pedal will record up to 40 seconds of playing, and loop it. You can then record over the top of this and have both recordings combined into one loop, then add a third, a forth, a fifth... This is a handy little feature to mess around with but it's basically useless. If you wanted this sort of thing you'd be much better off with an actual loop pedal. So this mode is fun for messing around with for 40 seconds at home, otherwise useless. Fourth, and similar to the last feature, is tap tempo. This lets you 'stamp in' the delay you want; you stamp once to start, stamp a second time, and whatever gap you left between is the time repeats are delayed by. Like the Hold function, this is okay, but I doubt many people will get much use from it. You can't Switch in and out of it like you can with the regular delay and I can't imagine many situations where you would have to ad-lib your delay time. The final mode is Reverse mode. This takes whatever you are playing and instantly reverses it. This can then either be heard as a 'reverse echo' like a regular delay, or you can set it so the reverse signal comes out instantly and your original signal isn't heard; this makes it sound almost like you're playing the guitar backwards. It's pretty nice and works well with no obvious LAG, though it seems to suffer with full open and barre chords. Very handy if you play psychedelic rock. There's no obvious noise or anything when using this pedal. Overall the sound is very good, the best delay I've heard and the extra modes have some nice sounds too if you fancy something a bit different. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss pedal, what else is there to say? Doesn't seem quite so sturdy as a DigiTech pedal which are a little bit bigger and heavier, but I wouldn't really trust this one any less. Be aware though that this thing goes through batteries very quickly even with minimal use. You're going to need a mains plug for this one. // 8

Overall Impression: What else is there to say? If you want a good delay effect in a stompbox, this is the best around, simple as that. My only closing thoughts are I wish there was a way to quickly Switch between a couple of settings as remembering exactly where each knob has to be for different effects can be hard (and it really is only the tiniest movement of one knob that can make a huge difference to the sound), but that wouldn't really be possible in stompbox housing so that's fine. // 9

DD-7 Digital Delay Reviewed by: wilfred_jr, on august 05, 2010

Purchased from: Bandland, Teesside

Ease of Use: With the briefest read of the main instructions, I had this pedal set up and creating fantastic sounds pretty much immediately. The explanations in the manual are so straight forward that an understanding of how to get certain sounds and what each mode and function does is achieved wonderfully quickly. There's a lot to take in on this pedal and a huge range of sounds to create, but it's so cleverly designed and laid out that you feel like you're in control from the moment you turn it on. Once you get a hang of things, the manual goes into further explanation of how to fully master every last great function with maximum ease and lack of convoluted jibba jabba! // 9

Sound: This is my second compact pedal (which I'm using alongside my Boss DS-2) and I use this with my Peavey Rage 158 and ESP EC50 LTD, both are set to standard clean and clear settings. The pure range of sounds this little pedal can produce is superb. Everything from long doubling to room reverb to nostalgic analog delay sounds to the amazing reverse setting. With a huge range of modes and countless settings to experiment with, this one little pedal is a dream for every possible delay type. It can even work as a makeshift reverb pedal! A bonus on this pedal is the hold setting which acts as a sound on sound looper. With mono connections, it holds a whopping 40 seconds of sound and you can overdub to your heart's content. This pedal is all about sound, and boy does it deliver. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is a Boss compact pedal and like all such pedals, it's built like a bomb shelter. A strong metal case surrounds it and the knobs are far away enough from the stomping pedal to keep them safe. Only a madman with very big boots will manage to cause this pedal any damage in a reasonable amount of time. I would happily rely on this pedal live (using my pedalboard to power it, of course) and I haven't had a single malfunction with it after a few months of use. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an amazing compact Delay pedal. In its range, I'd say it is unbeatable. It has so many functions and features that achieve so many different sounds and delay types, not only can you rely on it for all your delay needs, you never get board of experimenting with it! It's a very valuable member of my pedal collection and I only regret not getting one sooner. A superb pedal. // 10

DD-7 Digital Delay Reviewed by: killerscorpion, on december 11, 2008

Ease of Use: It is like a DD-6 but slightly upgraded. It has a new modulate mode that sounds like a natural chorus effect. It also has a analog setting like the old Boss pedal. It has the 3 knobs found on most Boss pedals: E.level, D.Time, and F.Back. It is easy to get the sound you are looking for if you know what kind of sound you want. // 10

Sound: I play a Epiphone Les Paul througha Kustom 15w amp. It sound very good. I usually us a DS-1 with it also and it really makes my guitar sound a lot better. Sometimes I think I use my delay too much but it just makes everything sound that much better. I use a lot of it too. It never seems to make a lot of noise either. I always have it on and I can never hear any hum or his. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its a Boss, you can always depend on it. You can throw these step on them kick them almost anything(to a reasonable limit). I would definitly use it maybe with a backup just in case. But I don't think I would need one. I would like to have a backup to get different sound while playing. I could just turn one off and get different delays. // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play a lot of classicrock clean sounds nice sounding music but I also like heavy rock and some older metal(Dio, System Of A Down) It works great with all of them. If it were stolen or lost I would get one instatly. My favorite feature is probably modulate becuse it's like two pedals in one.( Chorus Delay). // 10

DD-7 Digital Delay Reviewed by: Mitchell?, on march 13, 2009

Ease of Use: Although it looks complicated, the Boss DD-7 is easy to get a great delay out of. Start with all knobs at noon, then tweak your delay time, and feedback, you'll soon Zoom in on your perfect delay. I use a FS-5U with it to use the tap-tempo function easier, and this makes it really easy to incorporate the DD-7 into any song. The manual that it comes with is really helpful, and explains all the functions (trust me, there are quite a few) really well. // 9

Sound: I use it in front of a Vox AC15 with a PRS SE Semi-hollow (two humbucker, mahogany body guitar) with a Big Muff, Crunch Box, and OCD. It sounds great for any delay application, from shred solos to Indie-ambient music. It's not noisy, and I use it on a 1 Spot with four other pedals. I love it for ambient delays, which super long repeats. The DD-7 will give you squeaky-clean repeats for nearly forever, so it's great for anything you need lots of delay for. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It looks pretty reliable, I haven't used any Boss products before though. I wouldn't be afraid to gig without a backup with this pedal, it looks as tough as the rest of my pedals. It looks as it'll handle any road abuse you throw at it, as opposed to other delays I looked at. // 9

Overall Impression: I play everything from Miles Davis, to Slayer, and the DD-7 keeps up every step of the way. It works for fattening up those shred solos, or adding some eerie vibes and ambience to Indie stuff. Great for any delay application, with all the modes it has. I kind've wished there was some way to save presets, like other delay pedals I looked at (DL4, Nova Delay, Stereo Memory Man), but with the tap tempo it's easy to incorporate the DD-7 everywhere, with minor knob-turning if you really want to change the feedback and such. The reason I picked this over the Line 6 DL-4, the TC Electronic ND-1, and the EHX Stereo Memory Man is because 1) DD-7 is small 2)can power off a 1 Spot with no adaptors and things 3) Does regular delays great (which I loved in the Nova Delay) and does crazy stuff great too (which I loved in the Stereo Memory Man) so it covers everything I need. 3) Durable. I was afraid of the big display on the Nova, and Switch problems on the DL-4 4) Reverse. I didn't like the reverse echo on the DL-4 If this was stolen, I'd have to buy another, it just opens up too many options sound-wise for me to go without it. Overall, I'm glad I chose the DD-7, it covers everything I need, and it's cheaper than the other delays I looked at. // 9

DD-7 Digital Delay Reviewed by: XxNickAttackxX, on april 29, 2009

Ease of Use: If you want to be able to change your sound on stage in the blink of an eye this is the pedal. It's definitely easier to use then the other delay pedals I've used. Everyone says that the new Line 6 delay is the best on the market, well I think the dd-7 is way better for stage performance. The only thing I don't like is the price on it. But it's a small price to pay for the sound it puts out. // 9

Sound: I currently am using a Line 6 30 Watt Spider III Amp, with a Epiphone Les Paul Remake which isn't a good setup at all, I've used a Fender Telecaster through both though and it sounds incredible, The DD7 can change the sound of anything and improve it. You could sing through it if you wanted. You can get a very good Coheed And Cambria or Pink Floyd Sound out of this pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I depend on it. I use a power supply with it. I have never taken a back up for this pedal, I would never replace it either. it's so amazing. It's my best pedal on my board hands down. It goes good with a compression sustainer, and a tremolo or phaser, and I usually use my blues driver and super Overdrive with it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play- Worship, Blues, Alternative, Jazz, and Hardcore. it's good for all of the above. I've been playing for 5 years now, The Boss Pedals I own consist of: DD-7, Super Overdrive, Mega Distortion, Compression Sustain2, Blues Driver, and Tremolo, I also use a Lyon Wah pedal, about to replace it with the Boss Wah/Distortion Pedal. Definitely play with the extra effects that the DD3 doesn't have before you buy this you may not need the DD7. The DD3 is also a great pedal. If this pedal was stolen from me I would just go buy it again. I love everything about it, and Hate Nothing about it(except for maybe the price tag) my favorite feature would be the analog delay it has on it. I compared it with the Line6 Delay and The Boss DD3- I chose the DD7 because it had The Analog Delay, Modulater, And Reverse, And A Longer Loop than the DD3, I Didn't get the Line 6 Delay because of it's hard to use stage presence it has. I can use it for recording and stuff but for on stage the DD7 owns the house. it's pretty "Boss" Haha. // 10

DD-7 Digital Delay Reviewed by: scaleboy12, on january 07, 2010

Purchased from: Sweetwater

Ease of Use: This is a very useful pedal. It is fairly self-explanatory if you read the instruction manual, or if you've used Boss compact delays before. There are a bunch of modes to choose from, and they all sound good. It comes with a sticker you can put in its side to remind you what the delay times for each mode are. The stereo modes are also posted. I haven't used this, as I have only 1 amp. // 9

Sound: My setup is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard (stock pickups) -> Boss TU-2 tuner -> an old Crybaby (probably 70s-80s era) -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor -> DD-7. My amp is a Fender Frontman 212R (hoping to upgrade to a Marshall soon.) No noise, just remember, delay goes after distortion ( a pretty basic rule.) I use the HOLD mode to loop songs' riffs and solo over them (this is the coolest part of the pedal.) The analog mode is great for those long, gilmour-ish Echoes on Pink Floyd records. The modulation and reverse modes aren't that useful for emulating others, but may help you to find a unique sound. Just remember: the REVERSE mode won't make you sound like "Castles made of Sand" by Jimi. The "normal" modes sound great, good for playing any guitar solo- especially ones that you want to sound like Steve Vai. The 50ms mode is worthless to me, it's more for when you're using it in stereo. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss. It'll never break or quit working. The only CON is that it really sucks batteries (normal for digital delays.) I use a 1Spot AC adaptor for this and all of my other pedals and it woks fine. Just remember, expected battery life with an alkaline battery is just 6 hours. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, hair metal, a little thrash, and Grunge, and this pedal sounds and operates great for me. I bet it sounds even better in stereo. If it were stolen or lost, first I would find the piece of @#$^ that stole it and beat them into submission, then I'd buy another one as soon as I could afford it. I also looked at MXR's carbon copy, and loved the sound of analog delay, but found the DD-7 to be much more flexible, plus it has an authentic sounding analog delay, making it a better choice. // 9

DD-7 Digital Delay Reviewed by: BlindSilence917, on february 11, 2011

Ease of Use: With all of the settings on Boss' new delay pedal, it's incredibly intuitive to get the set up you want. The only setting that isn't straight forward is the "Hold" function. It's basically a very simple loop machine. You can't save loops, but you can layer as many as you want (I've done up to 9 so far). Another feature that'll take a while to grasp is the different output functions the pedal features. Based on what input and output you use, you can have the effect bounce between two speakers, have the Original sound come out of one speaker and have the effect come out of the other, have only the delayed effect come out of the speaker, or extend the delay 2x. // 9

Sound: I'm running an Ibanez RG2EX2 through it with a Boss Metal Core in between, to a 50 watt Crate Palomino combo, and the sound is wonderful. It doesn't affect the tone to a noticeable degree, and creates no noise. The reverse function is kind of weak, but perhaps I'm not using it correctly, since it is my first time using a reverse function. // 9

Reliability & Durability: My last Boss pedal, I didn't take the best care of, and a knob snapped off. So I definitely opted into Guitar Center's warranty. But so far, this pedal is standing up to the use. I've had it for a couple months now, and haven't had any problems. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm sort of all over the spectrum as far as style goes, but a delay pedal isn't really linked to a particular genre. Used correctly, it will fit anywhere. I've been playing on and off for about 6 years, and this pedal is by far the best delay pedal I've ever used. There's no doubt in my mind that I'd buy this pedal again. Maybe not for the $170 price tag, but I'd find it somewhere. And if I had no choice, I'd pay full price again. If you don't know me -- which is almost all of you -- the sheer fact that I'm writing this review shows that I feel strongly about this pedal. I don't write many reviews unless I'm thoroughly satisfied or disappointed in a product, and clearly this is because of the former. I've had a DigiTech Digidelay before, and it didn't impress me too much. And I compared the DD-7 to the DD-3 and DD-6. The number of features alone make it my favorite delay pedal. The quality helps, also. The sound of the Digidelay doesn't compare to the DD-7. If anyone has the money to get this delay pedal, it's worth it. 100% worth it. // 9

DD-7 Digital Delay Reviewed by: eddiehimself, on january 21, 2013

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: As far as I'm concerned, this pedal is very easy to use. You can pretty much plug it in and it will be giving you a nice delay sound straight from the box. You've got 4 controls: effect level, feedback, delay time (redundant if you're using the tap-tempo feature) and a mode switch. All the controls, as well as the mode switch functions, pretty much speak for themselves. It's got a tap tempo feature which makes dialling in the right delay time easy. This can be used either by holding the foot-switch down for 2 seconds (as indicated on the control panel) or using an external foot-switch. The only thing I would say is that there are a couple of features that are not immediately obvious from first use of the pedal. The first is the delay time doubling feature that can be utilised by using output B instead of output A, giving you up to 6.4 seconds of delay time (!) Also, using input B on its own will split the dry and wet signals, output A being the wet signal and B dry. The other feature is the fact that using the 800, 200 or 50 ms settings will allow you to select shorter notes from the tempo you have tapped out, meaning you can have shorter delay times without having to tap your foot really fast. These features are mentioned on stickers that come attached to the manual and can be stuck to the pedal so you don't forget them though. // 9

Sound: I am using a Peavey Ultra 112 tube amp along with a Schecter 7-string and a Dean with passive pickups as well as a custom built guitar with active pickups. I'm also using my bass amp as a slave in order to test the stereo features of this pedal. As far as I can hear, the Digital Delay gives you a very good copy of the original sound without decay. You can leave the feedback on high and it will still be playing back whatever sound you put in for hours. It's pretty transparent as well; I can't tell the difference between my guitar with or without the delay plugged in, when it's bypassed. YMMV. The reverse sound is a pretty nice effect, but you have to make sure you get the tempo right so that it records the "grain" in the right place. The modulation effect sounds quite nice, if a little uniform, and can be used to give a stereo chorus effect if you are plugged in stereo. There isn't much flexibility though, so you will have to accept the default setting. I am not massively keen on the Analog(ue) setting myself. It doesn't really give you the natural decay of a proper analogue delay, it just sounds to me as if the wet signal is put through a high-pass filter and that's pretty much it. It's just too much of a perfect copy! Also, this pedal does not do a very good reverb simulation. However, this does not claim to be an analogue delay or a reverb pedal, so to criticise it too harshly on either of those points would be unfair. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As with most Boss pedals, it feels nice and solid. It's got all-metal construction, as well rubber pads on the foot-switch as well as underneath the unit itself for more grip on the floor. My problem with this pedal, which is the same for all the newer Boss pedals, is the fact that the mechanical switch has been replaced with an FET one. Boss claims that this removes the audio gap between switching sounds, as well as reducing signal decay. That may be so, but I would suggest if you're playing live, you're probably more bothered about having a nice, chunky, reliable switch in there, rather than a slightly better sound. I say this because I can't help but feeling most people will want this for gigging, rather than studio-quality delay, for which more flexible units are available. Also, I hear the battery life is not great, but I use DC power anyway, so not an issue for me. // 8

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal and really this is a pretty good tool for nice clean guitar playing, as well as a nice short delay for guitar solos. This is the first effect pedal I have had for a while. I very much like the encompassing stereo sound that you can get from this pedal, as well as the large amount of flexibility in terms of delay time, as well as the external foot-switch/pedal connectivity. I would definitely replace this pedal if I required a new one. I would like to be able to mess with a few more settings, such as bounce, stereo modes, modulation etc... But really that is just because I am used to having these features on my virtual rack-mount delays on Guitar Rig when recording. I think it would be unfair to expect a small stompbox such as this to have such a vast array of controls. Plus, where would you put them? // 9

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ CH-1 Super Chorus 8.3 Guitar Effects 04/03/2014