DF-2 Super Distortion And Feedbacker Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 09/09/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: DF-2 Super Distortion And Feedbacker
This Lo-Fi effect allows you to capture everything from droney feedback to synth-like string sounds.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Ease of Use: 8.5
 8.2
 9.2
 7.1
reviews (4) 13 comments vote for this gear:
DF-2 Super Distortion And Feedbacker Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 16, 2005

Ease of Use: It's easy to get any sound you want from this pedal, as with most Boss pedals you press once for on and again for off. For the feedback you simply hold down the pedal after playing a chord or note. You can change the amount of distortion with the use of the level, tone and distortion controls. There is also a feedback control for you desired amount. I bought it second hand so it has no manual. // 8

Sound: I'm using it with an Ibanez GSA60 guitar dropped to C and B depending on songs with a Marshall MX amp. Although the amp has its own Overdrive channel the DF-2 creates a better sound for the kind of music I play. I play with the level full and then use the volume on me amp as the overall control as that way you feel the effects of the distortion better. I keep the tone low for the heavy feel and I keep the distortion at around three quarters of the way up, other wise I find if its full its to distorted to hear what your playing. The feedback effect its self is quality, id say you get the desired effect about 9 out of every 10 times. It has a seperatecontrol for feedback which I keep between half and three quaters of the way up. Over all the distortion is excellent on this pedal and the feedback function is great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had the pedal for long but so far it had worked fine. // 8

Overall Impression: I play many styles of music mostly different genres of rock and metal. However I mainly play the heavy music. I love bands like Coal Chamber, System Of A Down, Devildriver and Metallica. I've been playing around a year and a bit, but I've only become serious over the last 6months. I love the sound the pedal gives as it allows me to almost mimic the sound I like perfectly. My favourite feature is the feedback for the times when you just hit a chord then press the feedback and the chords go's on and on and on getting more distorted, it's great. If it were stolen I would try and replace it but I have found this is a japanese Boss pedal and is difficult to find in the UK. I originally wanted just a simple distortion or Overdrive pedal but when I found you could imitate Feedback and have it in a pedal with distortion I had to buy it. It's handy just as a switch between clean and Distortion aswell for songs such as 'ATWA' by System Of A Down. I wish it had more ways to control the feedback that's the only improvement I could think to have on it. // 10

DF-2 Super Distortion And Feedbacker Reviewed by: TechnicolorBoy, on january 13, 2006

Ease of Use: It was quite a challenge getting a good sound out of the DS-2. It took me a whole day of working on it. The manual for it is helpful in setting it up with the guitar and amp, and also provides presets for different music genres. // 8

Sound: Sadly, I'm using the DS-2 with an Epiphone Special II and a Marshall MG, and suprisingly, the pedal covers up the crappy tone of the MG. Of course it's noisy! "If you're ears aren't ringing, you're doing something wrong!" The effects (distortion, gain, etc), if you can call them effects, are pretty good. They never sound horrible. I can get a Foo Fighters, White Strips, Green Day (old and new), and a few other modern rock and pop-punk band sounds. The distortion and gain on the DS-2 are reliable and sound great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Yes, I can depend on the DS-2 I nany situation. I would definitely use it on a gig without backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I play modern rock, pop-punk, a little bit of metal, and blues. The DS-2 is a great match for all these styles. I have been playing for almost one year and a half. I own a Denver acoustic, a Godin Seagull electro-acoustic, an Epiphone Special II, and a Marshall MG. There is nothing I would've wanted to ask before I bought the DS-2. If it got stolen or lost, I would buy it again if I had enough money. My favorite feature is that you can control the exact tone of your guitar in a few switches. I can honestly say that I don't hate anything about the DS-2. // 9

DF-2 Super Distortion And Feedbacker Reviewed by: Smart Patrol, on september 09, 2010

Purchased from: I bought a HM-2 and I made a direct trade for a DF-2

Ease of Use: This pedal couldn't be easier to use. No manual needed. The first 3 knobs do the same as in DS-1. The fourth knob is for controlling the feedback tone. Give it a pick, a chord or even a harmonic and step it to bottom and hold. The "feedback" will last as long as you want to. When you release it you don't change it to clean, so you will have to step it again to turn it off. It was a really Perfect Pedal. // 10

Sound: I used a Les Paul guitar with a fair Brazilian made amp, also with a BF-2 flanger from Boss and a Digital Sampler Delay from Digitech. DF-2 showed its value when I first played with it. It replaced the metallic sounding HM-2 I had prior to it. I needed a pedal that I could use for mild and classic/hard-rock tones. Since the Feedbacker had more treble, I realized I made the best trade possible, and the other guy took the HM-2 happily. The pedal had a very pro tone, to be proud of. In addition, it was surprisingly quiet for a distortion pedal. Every experiment, a new pleasant surprise. The feedback feature was very good, although by that time I used it almost just for intros. Awesome all the way. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I could depend on it even for saving my life. As usually in Boss pedals, that thing was a Tank. If I were holding it in a chest pocket, and it got a random shot, it would not only spare me from death, but would also be working. It could be just one more Urban Legend about the sturdiness of Boss stompboxes. This thing didn't need a backup. The backup would only be, maybe, for the power supply. // 10

Overall Impression: 20 years ago I was a beginning guitar player who had a great rig. But a Rogue economic plan from the Dastardly Brazilian government got me BROKE and forced me to give up of DF-2 and its companions. During all these years I only had some vocal performances and practiced some acoustic guitar and sometimes played some other people's guitars in rehearsals, studio and jam sessions. Now, I'm trying a comeback, but only as an occasional and strictly amateur and fun guitar player. Meanwhile I have a Behringer's Ultra Distortion (not as bad as people say), a Brazilian Onerr Nytrogen HF-1 flanger (which sometimes reminds me of my beloved BF-2) and a rack-mounted Digital Delay. My guitar is an Eagle strato, with Ibanez S3 pickups and an Orange Crush 15r amp. That are only 2 reasons I wouldn't try getting another one: First, since DF-2 has been discontinued, people here insist on selling those MIJ pedals for ridiculous and absurd prices for very used and abused units. This, in an country where ANY music instrument is much more expensive than virtually anywhere else in the world. The second reason is DF-2 has some very interesting replacements among Boss family. I could enlist Ds-1 (for its price), Ds-2 (the 2-mode distortion, which UD-100 is cloned from), and OS-2, which has knob that makes an overdrive/distortion gradual mix. Overall, DF-2 is one those products I still try to understand why it has been discontinued. Although I wouldn't care too much about feedback nowadays, it was perfect in features. A Perfect 10. // 10

DF-2 Super Distortion And Feedbacker Reviewed by: toyboxmonster, on july 08, 2009

Price paid: C$ 75

Purchased from: Kijiji

Ease of Use: The DF-2 Super Feedbacker & Distortio is sometimes made out to be a difficult pedal to control. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this isn't really the case. The pedal features two sections: Distortion and Feedback. The Distortion section includes a Level, Tone, and Distortion knob and is, as far as I can tell, identical to a DS-1. The Feedback section consists of an Overtone knob, which controls the pitch of the feedback. I got the Super Feedbacker in used condition without its manual, and since it has been discontinued for a while now, I've been unable to find it anywhere online. This wasn't really much of an issue; it's fairly straightforward, and a handful of Youtube demos of it offer some guidance. Once the pedal has been turned on, one need only strum a note, then hold down the footswitch to generate infinite feedback. This was unclear in Youtube demos so I'll just clear it up right now: releasing the footswitch does not turn the DF-2 off. At first, it can be a little tricky to coordinate your hands and feet to generate feedback at the right time, but it's nothing that a little practise can't solve. // 8

Sound: The DF-2 is not the blues guitarist's shortcut to natural-sounding feedback. The feedback it generates is synthetic-sounding and it ends abruptly and unnaturally. This being said, the Super Feedbacker can be extremely useful outside of more traditional musical genres. In an ambient context, the Feedbacker is much like an e-bow, delivering the same synthy drones, but in a much more convenient format. Following it with some echo and reverb can help soften the sudden start/stop of the feedback. It is capable of immense walls og guitar noise and is an interesting Tool for the experimentalist. The distortion of the DF-3 itself is identical to that of the DS-1 and is appropriate for several genres, from classic rock & hard-rock to Grunge and shoegazing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: My DF-2 is a MIJ model, which usually means good quality. It's well over a decade old, but the knobs are all firmly in place. It looks fairly banged-up, but works fine. The only thing wrong with it is that its adaptor jack is a little loose, which causes it to pop if I kick it by accident. This isn't really a big deal and should be easy enough to fix. As all Boss compact pedals, its battery compartment is under its footswitch, which makes it much more convenient than several other boxes on the market. // 7

Overall Impression: For the most part, I play ambient music - space-rock, dream-pop, shoegazing - and the DF-2 could not be a better fit. I've been considering buying this pedal for upwards of a year now, but I was always scared off by warnings that it sounded digital, that it tracked badly, and that it was difficult to operate. Now that I have it, I have difficulty understanding all the negative reviews; the ability to generate infinite feedback with one stomp of the foot has been an invaluable tool to me. If it were to break, I would have to replace it. Since I aquired the Super Feedbacker, it has become my primary source of distortion and a staple in my rig. // 10

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ GT-100 Amp Effects Processor 7.9 Guitar Effects 07/07/2014