DS-2 Turbo Distortion Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 04/24/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: DS-2 Turbo Distortion
The DS-2 features twin Turbo modes. Turbo Mode I produces warm and mellow distortion with flat frequency response. Turbo Mode II provides biting distortion with a mid-range boost that's great for leads.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Ease of Use: 9.3
 8.8
 9.2
 8.4
reviews (35) pictures (3) 66 comments vote for this gear:
DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: Inahrima, on may 18, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal is extremly easy to use. It has 3 main controls, level, tone and distortion, plus the Switch to change between modes 1 and 2. The manuals barebones, with an overview of the pedal, basic explanations of the controls along with basic settings for them, some precautions and how to replace the battery. Serves its purpose well, but not really needed because the operation of the device is pretty logical. // 10

Sound: I personally use it with a Samick malibu modded strat (with a humbucker in the bridge)though a Carlsbro kickstart 10 amp (the distortion on it sucking so much the reason I bought the pedal in the 1st place). It has also been tested on my friends Fernandes Superstrat with Marshall amp too though. The DS-2 is surprisingly quiet, it does however squeel at high volumes. I found that this is due to the cables and adjusting them usually fixes this. To put it simply, the effects roar out and sound amazingly and smooth (with the right settings). They sound somewhat muddy and suppressed below 9 o'clock. Messing around with the amps EQ really helps this pedal. It's really good for leads as it boosts mids and I can get that amazing tone on the fade to black solos for example. The pedal by itself falls just short of heavy metal rythm distorton. With the right amp settings thought this thing can do it all. Oh and it sounds weak on single coils compared to use through humbuckers. The added raw crunch is amazing and I can get the exact tones as say, she-wolf. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The pedals extremly dependable but only if used with the AC adapter in addition to the batterys. AC adaptor 'cause using batterys alone at a gig is just stupid. Batteries along with it cos say if something happens to the adaptor or it gets unplugged, well you're dead. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from classic rock to Grunge to metal and this pedal suites it all. The metal part of the equation only works with an amp with good bass response and EQ plus a guitar with humbuckers as I said before though. Works perfect for anything less though. On the tone I'd say its more of a Megadeth than a Metallica if you know what I mean. If it were lost, I wouldnt buy it until I've saved up enough money to buy a better amp. The thing I love most about it is that its just fun to use. No endless fiddling of knobs, just plug in and thrash. I compared this to my friends HM2 and was surprised that its almost the same thing. Only notable difference is that the HM2 has more natural bass and kick while the DS2 has more of a roar. // 9

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 08, 2006

Purchased from: Musicstop

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use, and to get a good sound. Basically there are three knobs (tone, level, distortion) and a turbo switch. There are many different sounds to get from this pedal, ranging from Nirvana, (turbo off) to System Of A Down (turbo on). Actually, it was the pedal that Kurt Cobain used on the "In Utero" tour. The manual is fairly stright forward, it gives you tips, and inclused some demo settings which can come in handy. Also, the manual has a "setting memo" where you can put down the settings for a certain sound you like. // 9

Sound: I use a Peavey 15 watt with a Hamer guitar, and the distortion always sounds great. Although, if you don't use the turbo, sometimes (especially if the tone is set low) the sound will be kind of muffled. But maybe thats because of my amp. I can easily get the sounds of my favorite artists, Nirvana, System Of A Down, Alexisonfire, Rise Against, usually just by ajusting the distortion and turbo knobs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is honestly the toughest pedal I have ever used. Boss builds their pedals like miniature tanks anyway. I would be very comfortable using this in a gig with out a backup. Maybe an extra battery though. I haven't had it long enough tho tell how long the battery life is.. but its long enough (there is a "check" light, that tells you when the effect is on, and also serves as a battery check). Judge accordingly. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Grunge, punk, hardcore punk etc. and this pedal fits all those styles, as well as others. Had the pedal since christmas, and In love with it already. It it was stolen, id buy that thing again in a heartbeat. It's best feature by far, is its turbo knob. It gives the distortion clarity, and more punch than regular distortion. The only thing is, you have to keep level at about 1 o'clock if you want to switch between clean, and distortion, otherwise the distortion is so much louder than clean. Overall, this pedal is a very good pedal, and I recommend it over any other "turbo" pedal out there. // 9

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 17, 2006

Purchased from: Music Go Round

Ease of Use: Very easy to use. The knobs. Level - about 3 o'clock is a normal volume. I love that you can make the distortion super loud compared to clean when it's off, which is something you can't do on some pedals! Tone - probably what you'll be adjusting the most. All the way to the right has a lot of highs but still some lows, which it probably shouldn't have when you turn it there. As you turn it to the left, the highs gradually get removed. Lows aren't added, highs are just removed, which I think is pretty cheap. Anything left of 12 o'clock on it is a completely muffled tone. Dist - I will never put this at anything but full. I think this knob should probably go up a little more, sometimes the distortion sounds like it's only 3/4 of the way up but it's all the way up. Turbo - it's two pedals in one! // 8

Sound: The sound is a really good tone if you have it set up perfect. It's not heavy enough to be metal and not fuzzed out enough to be Grunge. Just a good hard rock tone. I like it on: level - 4 o'clock, tone - 2 o'clock, dist - all the way up and put on Mode II. Above anything else, I'd say both tones that this device offers are reminiscent of early Black Sabbath from around the Paranoid era. I am using it with a Washburn Maverick BT4, an Epiphone Les Paul Junior, a Behringer GMX212 and a little Peavey 15 watt practice amp. I also have the king of all distortion pedals, an Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA. It's has a little bit of background fuzz when nothing's being played. A little more than my Big Muff. Kurt Cobain used this around the In Utero era, so it kind of gets a Nirvana tone. He used: level all the way up, tone at 11 o'clock, distortion all the way up and on Mode I. The Boss Metal Zone and Mega Distortion both offer more distortion than this but they are both very metal sounding and not very flexible for playing other genres. The DS-1 sounds pretty similar to this and gives a tone which is inbetween Mode I and Mode II on this. Mode II on the DS-2 has more distortion than the DS-1 has though. On my 15 watt Peavey, I can put it at about 1 o'clock and it sounds perfect. I think that amp is a little busted because I've been harsh on it, it has almost no lows. On my Behringer GMX212 with two 50 watt Jensen speakers, I have to put this thing at about 3 o'clock to get the same tone. One other thing I noticed about the tone is that it sounds like there's a presence dial on it which is turned down to about half. My Big Muff Pi rips through crystal clear while this thing makes my amp sound like it's behind a wall. A little tweaking with the amp and the pedal though and this can be improved a bit. Mode I - a nice amount of distortion with a big amount of added lows. Mode II - noticeably louder than Mode I with more highs, more distortion and a lot more fuzz. This is really where the good tones can be found. I like Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Husker Du, Primus, Dinosaur Jr, Mudhoney, Melvins, Sonic Youth, Smashing Pumpkins, Meat Puppets, Velvet Underground, Minutemen, Black Flag, The Cows, Flipper, Big Black, and those kinds of bands. This pedal can get similar tones to these artists because it gives off a really good tone is commonly heard in rock music. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is pretty sturdy although I wouldn't mash it. I've heard it's super reliable. I think it totally drinks batteries though, I have an adaptor. It's kind of goofy that it'll drain the battery if you leave the input wire plugged in. I've heard if you leave the input wire in overnight the battery will be pretty much dead. It does come with a 5 year warranty if you buy it new though I think. I'd use it on a gig without a backup. What real musician has enough money to buy 2 of the same distortion pedals? // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of grungy stuff, like Mudhoney + Primus + early Husker Du. I got this used, which is why it was only $45. I was originally looking for a DS-1 until I saw this at my favorite music store, Music Go Round in Richfield, Minnesota. Talk to Jim there, he's a real nice fella. Even though it is a good pedal, I just don't think it is worth $80 at all. For that price, you can get an Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA, which is easily the greatest distortion pedal ever made. Try it out, the tone is absolutely incredible and it has infinite possibilites. Used is the best way to get the DS-2. If you can't find a used one, get a DS-1 for $40 instead. // 8

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 06, 2010

Purchased from: Previous Owner

Ease of Use: The pedal itself is very simply to navigate and may be used to its full potential by those who know what sound they are actually looking for. The turbo Switch is rather useful, though I found that by switching to turbo distortion, there is a hump in the mids, requiring one to turn down the tone knob, whereas when using the normal distortion, there is too much low boost, requiring you to turn the tone knob up. This pretty much renders the remote Switch ineffective. // 8

Sound: The pedal delivers a wonderful distorted tone, which is rich in sustain and vibrant. I currently use the pedal for a dirtier, mid-driven hardcore tone, and clean it up with a Boss GE-7. The pedal delivers a little bit of noise, but not much more than any other distortion pedal would. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is manufactured by Boss, so one can't exactly complain here. It is simply an indestructible musical war-machine. I actually do have a backup of one of these, though; this is, however, only due to the fact that shows can get a bit out of hand at times. // 10

Overall Impression: For the chaotic hardcore genre, I would totally recommend this pedal. The turbo option really captures the essence of mid-tones and gives the music I play that Drive it needs. I run a TS808 to give this pedal a decent sustain boost to overcome my Rocktron Hush noise suppressor. The tones collaborate well and the overall sound is filtered through the GE-7, giving me an overall tone that I am most certainly 100% happy with. // 10

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: hmmm_de_hum, on august 30, 2005

Ease of Use: This pedal is soo simple to use its got volume, tone, and distortion level but what makes this different from the DS-1 is the turbo feature when enabled it gives u a bit more crunch, designed for leads. // 10

Sound: I'm using it with an ESP AX50 and Carlsbro 30 watt amp, I tend to play hard rock/metal/progressive, the other guitarist in our band uses the DigiTech Death Metal pedal (which I hate) but this thing equals that any day, you can get an AC/DC crunch to a Killswitch Engage riff with a little tweaking, you should try and play around with it a bit to get some good idea's of what sounds you're after. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged with this many times and has never let me down the batteries last a good couple of gigs but I change them regulary anyway, for an affordable distortion pedal get this trust me don't bother with the DS-1 go the extra few quid and get this. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a perfect match for my type of music as I can mould any sound out of it from classic rock to metal, I have always loved Boss pedals I also own a CE-5 Chorus and DD-6 Delay and neither has let me down, I compaired this to an Ibanez model and a Danelectro model and it just stodd out like anything even on a shitty Squire Strat at the shop. // 10

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: fat_strat77, on april 26, 2004

Ease of Use: It is extremely easy to get a good sound out of it because there is only three knobs (level, tone, distortion), but what sets this aprt from the DS-1 is the extra remote setting called turbo II which can be manually or footwitched on to provide a mid/volume boost which helps cut through the mix for leads, this setting is extremely handy and transforms the sound of the DS-1 into something like the mega distortion, it gives the pedal a little more bite. The Manual has your basic info and some settings to try, it also has a sheet to record your own settings on aswell. Overall its foolproof so it definately gets a 5 for this part. // 10

Sound: I use a Epiphone Les Paul and an Ibanez RG320 and I run it through a Marshall MG100DFXH plus a cabinet. I mainly got this pedal because the channels on the amp sounded like tin cans (many say Marshalls are meant to sound like this but thats a load of crap) and my DigiTech RP100 didnt have much grunt to it. I was after a smooth bass/mid distortion rather than an ear splitting treble type and this pedal done the job very nicely. It keeps the distortion smooth and doesnt sound grainy at all and if you back off the distortion you can still get a nice overdrive/crunch (AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, all the old rock) and what suprised me was when i selected my Neck pickup and backed off the distorton I could get that smooth Blues Overdrive sound that all Stevie Ray Vaughn Fans would die for. The suprising thing though was that it managed to stay smooth, very nice. The one down point about the whole pedal (im not saying it is bad it still is a great pedal) was I slightly disappointed with the disappointed with the boost, i could have been engineered a bit better but I would say that i'd give the pedals sound a 5 despite this. There is a slight buzz when the tone is turn all the way up but this happens with all distortion pedals so dont worry. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well all I can say is that its got 3 sturdy inputs and its built like a tank. I would advise to use an adaptor though mainly because it's always pumping healthy power through it and it saves replacing batteries which in the long run costs more than an adaptor. You could hit this with a hammer and it would still work. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 4 years and play rock, blues, pop, Grunge, metal, and this pedals does it all. It sounds smooth mean and very playable, its incredibly easy to use and is definitally worth considering. I would get this one instead of a DS-1 beacause if you ever need the extra balls, theyre there to play with :). It was hard coming across this product because Boss has a few distortion pedals to offer and im glad I got this one because it is the most versatile. If it were stolen or lost I would definitaly get another one, but I cant see it breaking down because it is built so well. It works best with a guitar with humbuckers in my opinion, but thats because I think les pauls blow the hats off strats when it comes to rock, but if your got a strat and play the blues or rock, it will still perform nicely. Ive only got a solidstate at the moment but i have played a few tube amps (my fav being the JCM800) and I can see a very very very very very huge potential with matching this pedal to a tube amp, I havent tried it yet but if it sounds fantastic through a solid state well I'm sure itll sound overwhelming through something with tubes (unless its a Peavy). It is handy for performing on stage because the turbo cuts through the mix so your leads and solos can be held. I would advise investing in a foot switch though because I can see anyone kneeling down on stage to switch to the turbo stage before a lead (you'd look like a real fruitcake) but any cheap one will do because the Boss one is extremely dear (my Marshall footswitch works fine). An extremely versatile pedal at a reasonable price, keep up the good work Boss. // 10

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: JackassX, on may 06, 2004

Purchased from: Swee Lee, Singapore

Ease of Use: It is a good pedal, but for metal lovers, it may be too sofecore. This pedal is very good for punk and rock. // 10

Sound: This pedal sounds great on anything thing. Even with addition effects, like ovedrive. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Sure it's sure do last long. // 10

Overall Impression: It's very good for punk and rock. However weak for metal. // 10

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2005

Ease of Use: The sound its fantastic. One of my friends has a Zoom GFX4, and it has 12 to 15 different distortions. This pedal can create almost anyone of those distortions (and make them sound better). Maybe it's not enough for metal players, but it has a good sound. Plus, turbo mode is great, it boost the dist without problems, it's pretty good and easy to use, just adjust the level, tone and dist. The only problem could be adjusting dist and level, 'cause if you turn up the dist, the level does, so you must turn down the level knob if you're looking for a heavy dist but a low level. // 10

Sound: A Fender Princeton amp, my Les Paul, and a Marshall (can't remember the model) and sound pretty good, specially for creating feedback, it's really good, go and buy one fron your best friend. // 10

Reliability & Durability: When my friend told me "the pedal its a little bit damaged" I sked her "is it a Boss?" she answered "yes" and I just told her "it's ok, you can't never destroy a Boss." And I was right. The paint is scratched, but othing else. We did play with it before using it and I told my buddies "I bet we could smash our heads against the wall at the same time we do it with the pedal and we will die before something bad could happen to the pedal." About playing without a back up, I will do it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock, blues, Grunge, punk, distortion involucred styles, and this pedal fits great. I must thank my friend Carmen, she gave me the greatest price ever. And not just for this pedal, it also includes a CH-1 Super Chorus, so $60 for 2 Boss pedals is maybe the best inversion I could ever made. // 10

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: HelpMeImHungry, on may 19, 2005

Purchased from: music123.com

Ease of Use: Straightfoward and to the point, a tone, level, and distortion knob, with a switch to go between turbo and regular mode. Easy to use mostly, you just have to play with it a little to find waht souits you best. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal with a Stratocaster (one with a humbucker one without), a Gibson SG, and a Jaguar. I found that to really get the distortion sound out of it, you gotta turn up the volume all the way on the guitar, and control it from the amp. It's great for getting the Nirvana sound, because Kurt Cobain got one of these pedals in 1992 to replace his DS-1 Distortion. It has a wide variety, and you can do it all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have to be honest, I am rough on this pedal, a lot more then I would like to be. It takes it and keeps on shining, this thing is bomb proof. Make sure to change the 9volt battery when it's appriopriate, because once the battery starts to die, so does your distortion. The battery lasts a good while though. // 10

Overall Impression: This is great for playing all kinds of rock. I would most definitely replace this if it ever went missing. If I had more money I would probably buy two just because it is so great. Get this pedal! // 10

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: trepkos, on june 06, 2005

Ease of Use: Ifound this pedal very easy to use, there is no need for a manual! I just experimented with the sound. // 10

Sound: This is my first pedal, I use it with a Marshall 15DFX and a SG. I admit there is a little bit of background fuzz but it mite be the leads but however this pedal is the best! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is like a tank! come on I don't need a backup. but I have only had it for 2 days I don't know if there are long-term problems, but this pedal will never break unless you get a pickaxe. // 10

Overall Impression: I play hard rock, metal and Grunge. This pedal covers them all well. If I lost or it was stolen, I would run to dawsons and buy myself a new one. I would recommend this pedal as it is very very good. // 10

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 30, 2005

Purchased from: Academy Of Sound

Ease of Use: This pedal is extremely easy to use as there are are only four knobs (level, tone, distortion and turbo I/II). There is no need for the manual as you can easily find the right sound for you. This pedal ranges from high soaring guitar solos to mellow soft sounding guitars. // 10

Sound: I am currently using this pedal with a Mexican Standard Tele and a Squier Strat with a Marshall MG10CD but I am hoping to upgrade to a Marshall MG100HDFX. This pedal is also great for getting the John Frusciante/RHCP sound. There can be a bit of fuzz but maybe is cus of my amp. There are two types of Turbo to choice from. 1. Turbo I - a very powerful distortion. 2. Turbo II - sticky distortion (powerful). There is also setting examples in the manual, which give you a rough idea of settings to choose from. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You can certainly depend on this pedal as it is a Boss, there's no need for a backup. I've had it for about 6 months and it is still goin' strong. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play rock, stuff like RHCP/John Frusciante and Guns N' Roses. I hav been playin' for nearly three years and I already own a Boss RP-50, but it is nothin' like the distortion on this baby. If it was stolen or lost, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. My favourite feature is the Turbo feature cus you can chooose from more varities of tone. This is a must have for guitarists! // 10

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 30, 2005

Sound: I have a prettey crappy guitar but the pickup in the neck is very hot and distortioney. Not really enough gain but a lot of sustain. Also the turbo means I get another type of distortion which is a totally different tone and slightly louder then the first mode. Also you can switch between modes with a footswitch. which is nice! The tone though was no where near as good as my amp which is tube powered. // 6

Overall Impression: I play stuff like rock, metal and Grunge and it works quite well, especially if your one of those destructive "let's axe my axe" types although if you did use it in a concert it would stop before the end without a 20 adaptor (actually I paid 10 for mine). I'm really a begginer so I'm not that good yet. If you do want to get one of these, I think you should get an overdrive/distrtion pedal or somtheng else. // 8

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 11, 2005

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use, you simply can't go wrong. It has four knobs. Level wich controls volume, tone wich controls the bite of your tone, distortion (says it self) and a mode selector. You don't really need the manual (unless you use it for bedtime reading). // 10

Sound: This pedal is very versatile as it has two modes. I use mine with a Marshall 15DFX and a Les Paul, you couldn't get better sound. It only makes a noise if you crank all the knobs all the way to the right with an overdriven amp. The first mode has a little more bass than the secound and is perfect for Grunge, hard rock and the likes while the secound (wich I prefer) mode has a little more bite to it. This pedal is perfect for everything wich needs a punch. Perfection! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this thing for a couple of months now and I never had a single problem, and I probably never will. This baby can definitely withstand live use. You could beat it with a sledgehammer and the only thing you would hurt was perhaps the hammer. I haven't tried it that much with a battery, but it's probably wiser to have an adaptor by the hand if you want to use it live. No backup needed. I have an adaptor myself wich makes nonestop roccking possible. // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk, hard rock and classic rock and this pedal is a match made in heaven if you ask me. I've played for almost to years so I'm not that skilled yet, but that doesn't really matter when I have this thing. I love the idea of having two modes. Makes you able to switch from Green Day to Nirvana in a split. Besides this I have Marshall Bluesbreaker but this thing beats it by miles and it's more versatile. It doesn't really need anything else, it's perfect! // 10

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: SGThunderstruck, on august 29, 2005

Purchased from: Jack's Music

Ease of Use: This pedal is relatively easy to use. My music shop had Boss guitar effects handbooks which had presets for distortion, fuzz, Grunge for this pedal, but the manual that came with the pedal did not include presets. // 8

Sound: I am using a Jackson JS1 Dinky, and a Marshall MG100DFX. This pedal is not noisy at all, which is the only advantage it has over the MT-2 Metal Zone pedal. You can get a good grunge/fuzz sound with the pedal. Great for Nirvana fans. But again, nothing you couldn't get out of the MT-2. Other than the very good fuzz, Grunge sound there is nothing I get out of this pedal that I cant get out of my Marshall amp. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Very dependable. Built like a brick shithouse. Just remember to unplug the input when you are done using it, the battery will run out buy the next morning. I would definitely use it on gig without backup. Matter of fact, this petal would be the backup because the MT-2 gets all these sounds, plus so many more for only around 10 dollars more. // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk rock, Grunge, and hard rock/metal. Sounds good for covers from bands like The Offspring, or Nirvana. But again, nothing you can't get out of the MT-2. I am finding this pedeal practically useless now that I had bought the MT-2. I owned the DS-2 first and bought the MT-2 with plans of using the two simultaneously, which was a disaster with all the feedback. Go buy the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone. You will thank me. // 4

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: MetalNick, on february 27, 2006

Purchased from: Tonika Music

Ease of Use: This pedal has a range of sounds, so you'll have to fiddle with it for a long while, before you can really get you favorite sound out of it. The manual is clear, this was my first pedal, just never reviewed it, I've had it for a year now. You're gonna need the preferances part in the manual, with this range of sounds. // 9

Sound: I mostly use my fake Strat with this, using it as my punk/hard rock setup, the effect itself isn't noisy, effects are as strong as an a-bomb, but you can water it down to a feather if you forget to unplug it. When I play punk I usually play sex pistols, and that sound is achieve-able. The highs are very high, and the lows are lower than the highs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It came to me directly out of the factory, the store ordered it directly for me, along with some other pedals for their shop, so I know it's a late 2003 pedal. Newer Bosses tend to be less relyable, but I've had no problems. I played with it only in front of my band members, since we play metal mostly, which I use my other pedal the HM-2 for. // 10

Overall Impression: It suits old punk, some reggae, rock, hard rock, softer metal, a wallop of what I do not play I reackon to. At first I had no idea what the turbo mode was, but if you have a Boss switch pedal, unlike I do, you can go into turbo mode, which I have no clue how it sounds. I would get it over and over agina if it were stolen, better than the DS-1, but if you want to play from hard rock and up, you are better off with maybe a Mega Distortion or a Metal Zone. // 10

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 17, 2006

Purchased from: Buckley's Music

Ease of Use: The DS-2, the sister to the legandary DS-1 popularised by the late Kurt Cobain! This Pedal has it all! All the features of the DS-1 with an added turbo feature to add crunch. Everthing is explained in the manual (although it's not rocket science to use it) and there is even a setting log for your favorite settings. // 10

Sound: I'm using my DS-2 with a Peavey Backstage for practice, and it sounds great. Very little noise, and with any logical settings, it will really make your distortion come alive. I Play mainly Grunge and punk, and the pedal is well suited to both genres. I can get sounds ranging from Nirvana (obvoiusly, considering that Kurt used this pedal for the In Utero recording) to Blink 182 with juse a turn of the tone knob. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Like all Boss pedals, they're built like Miniature tanks so you can stop, bash, and kick the hell out of it and it will still work great! You'd be foolish to waste money on a back up pedal, you'd never use it, although I do reccomend the AC adapter, cuz I don't what the battery life is like. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this pedal fits every musical genre I can think of, and in my 2 years of playing, I haven't heard a pedal so versitaile. I compared this to an Ibanez Tubescreamer, and picked the Boss because of my musical genres. If this was stolen, I would definatly buy another one (but maybe wait for a sale, the retail is 128.99 CDN). It is a great value, and I recommend that you Pick one up! // 10

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 05, 2006

Ease of Use: This is a very simple pedal to use. Just 4 knobs. Level, tone, distortion and turbo mode I or II. It also comes with a very useful manual that gives you some settings you can use or record your own settings. It also comes with a free battery. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal with a Squier Stratocaster and a couple of various amp and the sound is awesome. I can get the distortion sounds of Switchfoot, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana and whatever you can think of. The 2 modes also make a lot of difference. And now, with mode II, I can get some really fierce sounds with it and an overdrive like sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this pedal anytime. It's made out of metal and I think it can last me as long as I live. I have also played this at a gig without a backup frankly cause I have no other pedals except for this and it has done me well. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is one of the best distortion pedals on Earth! I play a lot of punk music and this pedal suits punk music real well. I've been playing for a good one and a half years but I have a lot of experience. For you people who are thinking about getting a Boss DS-1 Distortion, don't even touch it. I've compared it to the DS-2 at the same time and the DS-1 was weak. If you want, just save up a couple more bucks and get the DS-2. Trust me, its worth it. // 10

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: DiveInMe, on august 02, 2006

Purchased from: Rajen Music

Ease of Use: This was the first distortion pedal I purchased way back in 1993. It came boxed up Brand New with a comprehensive manual. With the suggested settings and my own twiddling it is very easy to get a wide variety of distortion using just the DS-2. Having owned this pedal for many years, I never run out of ways to experiment with settings or combinations of guitars and amps that it will pull a good sound from. It is incredibly consistent across small to large amplifiers. // 9

Sound: I use a Strat and a Tele, which of course are affected differently by this pedal, running into a 50W Marshall half stack. With the Turbo mode off and average settings it produces a nice chunky distortion with heavy overtones. Flick the Turbo and it really starts to emphasise the higher ranges. It is generally a tidy sounding pedal, depending on amp settings and pickups. I bought it to try and emulate Nirvana's tone, and for this it can be really useful. // 9

Reliability & Durability: After 13 years of use, it is still like new. The input and output jacks are solid and the pedal action smooth. It hasn't chewed through 9V batteries and works well with the AC adapter. I have never felt I needed a backup for this unit. The Boss reputation for toughness is proven by this pedals longevity. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal is everything I expected from Boss. I have played guitar for 15 years and owned this for around 13. It is a true warrior of effects pedals. I would certainly buy another if it were lost or stolen. They are $50 more these days, but time does that. I dig the Turbo versatility and the grunt it can add to my Marshall. I now own several distortion pedals, but this is a mainstay of my setup. // 9

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: .executable, on december 19, 2006

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: Well, what should I write? This thing has 4 knobs: one for to switch between the two modes, one for treble, another one for the level of the distortion and a fourth one to adjust the volume. If you know what kind of sound you want, you will get it. The manual gives you some examples for various setups. // 9

Sound: I think it is me but this thing is a bit noisy when I use it with my little amp at home and my Yamaha Pacifica 112. This little thing as a great range of distortion sounds. I can get a light crunch a Vintage style distortion for rhythm playing and a heavy sound for leads with the first mode. I don't use the turbo mode rly often because I don't like it so much. It gives you a lot of mids that might be good for soloing but I think it sounds to thin. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Boss pedals are indestructible and so is this one. You can't brake it even if you wanted to. I'd use it without a backup (Who the hell has a backup for his pedals). Man, UG forces me to write a bit more so I can supply this review. What else should I write? Indestructible! // 10

Overall Impression: Blabla this thing is good for a range like: Chili Peppers, Incubus, Clapton/Cream, Hendrix, etc. Well that's what I use it for. It rocks. That means it's not so good for really heavy metal, you should try a Jackhammer for that stuff but since I don't play metal. Great. // 9

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: kfong03, on january 29, 2007

Ease of Use: Very easy to navigate, I didn't get a manual because it was the last one in the store (proof of populartiy), but I figured the controls easily in two minutes, extremely user-friendly, controls are easy to read, understand and use. It's not hard to get a satisfactory sound because every turn of the knob provides something different, it allows me to really be creative and sculpt the sound I want. // 8

Sound: I run my Fender strat/epiphone les paul through this baby and a cheap Ibanez 10g amp, the guitars themselves sound great with the distortion in the amp, but when fired through this pedal it's frighteningly good, it's got many different levels of distortions and sounds, I can easily turn the "turbo" or "tone" control and easily get Nirvana, Nickelback, Green Day, All-American Rejects, anything, the "volume" and "dist" provide a little scope for variation and fun and if you spend a little more time on it, you'll really find the number of sounds that this pedal produces is plenty, plenty, more than enough for budding guitarists like me, and good enough for a casual jam if you're a pro gitarist. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would use this without a backup because it's solid, sturdy, tough and trully dependable, I've used it for jam sessions at my friends place for band practice and never had a problem, very reliable. This pedal has been around for quite a while but it doesn't show any scrathes, paint loss, loose bits or anything negative, I would say it's a very dependable machine. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock and anything along those lines that interest me, and this pedal readily provides the sounds I want, whether I'm practing or performing, I would recommend this to anyone Who needs a good distortion pedal, forget the Death Metal ones and the Overdrive pedals, one turn of the knob here will give you what you want, if I lost it I'd definitely go and get a new one, Boss pedals are good-they know who's Boss! // 9

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: Garlik, on may 04, 2007

Ease of Use: Very easy to use. This is my first pedal, so it took me some time to get used to it, but it's really easy to use. There are only four knobs, one of which is a volume knob, so it's easy to get the sound out of it. At first, I couldn't really get used to using a pedal (which is my fault) but after a while I got used to it. So, overall, it's really easy to use, even if it us your first pedal. // 9

Sound: The sound is great. The distortion is a lot better than anything that my amp could offer. I'm using a Marshall M series amp, so obviously, I couldn't get really any good distortion out of it before (I found one setting that I liked, but that's beside the point), so I was in need of one of these. I had one minor problem with it the sound the other day, but that was most likely the amp's fault, because I haven't seen any problems with this. There's also a Turbo mode, I don't really like it that much, so I never use it, though it came in handy when I was writing some "evil lair" music for a video. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss, good stuff. Built very sturdily and has been working fine since I got it. As most people said, you can throw it out the window and it'll survive. I would most likely use this for a gig without backup, mainly because it's a good pedal, and I haven't wanted to get a new distortion pedal after this one. // 10

Overall Impression: This was my first pedal, and it's been a great one. I play a wide variety of music, and it suits practically everything, except for metal (I actually use my amp's distortion for that). If were stolen, I would blame it on somebody else and then buy a new one. There's nothing really to say about it, it's a very good pedal. // 10

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: nathhannn., on may 21, 2007

Ease of Use: It's very easy to use, 3 knobs (level, tone, distortion) and 1 to change between mode 1 and 2. I found it pretty easy to get a good sound of it I presume beginners should be able to do that too. The manual came with the basics of use and a couple of settings, which is pretty useful if your lazy. // 9

Sound: The main reason I decided to write this review was because many of the other reviews the pedal was going through SS amps. I'm playing through a Peavey Valveking 112, PRS Tremonti SE, Boss CE - 5, Boss DD-3 and sometimes plug it into a Roland Cube 30 bass and a OLP MM2. You get a little noise when turning the pedal on which isn't too much of a problem, also there's no noise when switching from clean to dist. and vice versa. It makes a weird noise when using with my own amps Overdrive, but I never do that because it's sounds like crap together. I mainly use it for two types of distortion the lead setting I was talking about earlier which still has a lot of crunch which I like and I use mode 1 for a more Indie light distortion. I found that without my amps bright Switch turned on the sound is pretty dull and seems not to have much treble so for same amp uses I recommend keeping it on. I play most types of music but predominantly pop punk, Indie and classick rock I can get a pretty close generic sound for any of these. You can also get a decent fuzz out of it turning the tone up. It sounds fantastic with reverb abit of chorus and delay. I give it a 10 because I needed versatillity and I got it and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't gig but I don't see why I wouldn't although definately get a adapter (and the some daisy chains off eBay) just incase the battery goes. Seems well built and tough it's made out of metal and all my other Boss pedals have survived through various accidents, had it 6 months and no problems so far. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good match for what I play, as I play everything. I've been playing going 4 years now. I've owned various other pedals overtime about 6 guitars and 3 basses. I'd definately buy it again if it was stolen or lost, I genuinely love the sound I get from it. I compared to the Line 6 uber metal which is a decent pedal I just felt it I wouldn't be able to use it for my Indie stuff which I play more than metal. I wrote this review for anyone looking for a review on it through a tube amp, I bought because the overdive on my amp I felt was weak and not my sound, I think this pedal definately does a goob job in providing my tone and giving me the versatillity I needed. I really do recommend through a tube amp, give it a try you might be surprised. // 10

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: bodna, on october 29, 2007

Purchased from: panasonic

Ease of Use: This pedal is quite easy to use. It has 3 simple knobs, one for level, tone and distortion. There is also another knob which swithes from turbo 1 to turbo 2. The DS-2 also comes with a manual which shows each function of the knobs and also how to change the 9v battery. // 10

Sound: I use an Ibanez RG370, and a Roland amp. the distortion on DS-2 is really clear, and suits grunge and alternative music such as Nirvana or the Smashing Pumpkins or even Black Sabbath. The DS-2 also gives a loud roar and crunch which makes it even more special. The pedal always sounds great, even with volume turned down. I personally think the DS-2 works better with a Fender, because of the coiled pickups which gives it a more grungier sound like nirvana. But overall this has to be the best distortion pedal made by Boss. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is very reliable and I would always depend on this pedal. I would definitely use this pedal without backup. But to be on the safe side it would be better to use the AC adaptor during a gig. This pedal also looks very strong because it's made out of metal. // 10

Overall Impression: Since I play anything from Grunge to alternative this pedal is a good match for me. I've been playing for about 10 months and love playing a lot of Nirvana, so the pedal suits my style of music. Also own the Zoom G1X, and trust me don't buy it if you want distortion, it has some cool effects such as the Fender simulator and delay, reverb etc. but lacks the distortion crunch and boom. The option if you want overdrive or distortion is Boss and plus they are more cheaper. I wish the DS-2 had the feedback like the Boss df 2 which would have made this pedal even better. // 9

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2008

Purchased from: Local store

Ease of Use: The pedal is easy to handle, And it has a good sound! It was my first pedal. I wanted a Boss pedal with good Distortion, so I emediatly looked up the DS-2. It has a resemblance to the the DS-1, apart from the two different modes. The knobs are easy to handle and the variety of the sounds is not very big(could be my amplifier). Overall the sounds is great! all from bluesy rock tones, to cool Grunge sounds. // 7

Sound: My setup is: Ibanez GRG170DX and a Ibanez Tone Blaster 50W. I have only experience one sound problem with it. It does overtones a bit easy and it can be a little problem. But it can also be my amplifier. Overall the sound is perfect! I play a big variety of music. But mostly Hard rock, Metal, but also old Rock. And the pedal isnt the best of doing Metal, but Rock, Hard rock, Grunge and other. It really has a great sound! // 8

Reliability & Durability: The reliability is very big, I would think it is the Boss design. It is so great! and the construction is overall very good. The stompbox is also great! And I would definitely use it on a gig without backup. It's a great pedal! A great distortion pedal from Boss. // 10

Overall Impression: The match is good at my Music style. I like the Boss DS-2 very much. I also use some other pedals: Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95, DigiTech RP100, and I just ordered, DigiTech Death Metal, Behringer UC100. I might put an review on them to! Overall(love that word) I like the DS-2 very very much! Boss is great! // 10

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 28, 2008

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Ease of Use: Of course it's easy to use. Got the typical three knobs, and has one extra to switch between the turbo modes. It's easy to figure out, but I've never found a pedal that'sany harder to use. The manual gives the basics and explains the tones each turbo will provide. Getting a good tone depends on how heavy you want. If you want full blast, turn it all to the right. If you want a crunch, turn it more to the left. However, getting an in between tone is slightly hard. // 9

Sound: I use this with a Line 6 Spider III 150 watt amp, and a Gibson SG. I use to use a Fender Princeton 650 with a Fender Stratocaster. I also have a Crybaby Wah-Wah Pedal, a Danelectro Fab Chorus pedal, and a FAB Flanger. Today, I more commonly use the built in distortion (and flange, chorus, and phaser) to the amp using a footswitch (which sounds awesome by the way), but sometimes I use this to boost the distortion or if I practice on a different amp. At low levels, the distortion is weak, but if you jack it up all the way, it sounds nice and fuzzy. I like to play Grunge, and other types of '90s rock. My favorites are Pearl Jam, Nirvana, The Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Soundgarden, you know, early '90s stuff. It fits some of these well. I seem to get a good Nirvana (Kurt popularized this pedal), RHCP, and Soundgarden tone out of it, but I find it hard to get a Smashing Pumpkins or Pearl Jam tone. It's hard to perfect that Pumpkiny tone, which my amp's preset nails, and the Pearl Jam distortion, which has plenty of Overdrive, and an occasional heavy distortion is almost impossible to replicate in the first place. Overall, the sound is pretty good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had this pedal for about a year and a half, and it has never failed me. I bought an adapter, but it was defective, so I use batteries. I'm pleased to say, the battery life is ages. As long as you make sure to take the cord out of the input when you're done. It's never broken, or stopped working. // 10

Overall Impression: I play grunge music mostly. The pedal can match the tone of some of my favorite bands, but a few of them are impossible to get on this. It matches Nirvana absolutely perfectly. I've been playing about four years, and use a Gibson SG and Line 6 Spider III 150 watt amp, along with a few other pedals. If this were stolen or lost, I would probably forget about it for the time being and use the Big Muff I'm getting this week, but eventually buy it again when I had more money. I love the fact that it has two turbo modes, which can Switch from a warm, smooth crunch to a heavy fuzzed out distortion. I first bought a DS-1 Distortion, but I was unhappy with it, so I returned it and upgraded to this. It was a good step up. If you play Grunge like me, and are trying to match that early '90s tone, you should look at the Big Muff Pi, like I am. If you're a fan of classic or modern (I don't really like modern), you should definitely consider this one. // 8

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: Blompcube, on march 20, 2008

Purchased from: GAK.co.uk

Ease of Use: It is very easy to get the best results out of this pedal since it has very basic controls (vol, tone, distortion, mode switch). Whether the sound that comes out is good or not is subjective, but there's several settings I like on this pedal. The manual gives the basic info on how to use the pedal, not that anyone other than a real beginner would need to read it. I'm not sure if the DS-2 has ever been changed since it's initial release, but it sounds the same as the earlier pedals to me. All in all, very easy to use. // 10

Sound: Well this pedal only arrived 4 hours ago so you'd expect me to still be excited about it and say "yeah it's amazing, 10/10!!!", although actually, I'm frustrated because the shipping of the Electro-Harmonix small clone I ordered with this has been delayed, it's the small clone I was excited about. I'm using this with a Fender Cyclone (bridge humbucker and neck single coil) and a Laney VC30 1x12 combo. This pedal can be very very noisy on both modes, particularly mode 1 if you crank the distortion control, although that could be because my computer is near. Apart from that, on lower gain settings there's little to no noise at all. On to the distortion then, well, I can sure see why some people dislike these pedals: the sound is very harsh, very buzzy sounding, with little warmth. some hate it, but I love it. The harshness tends to smooth out a little if you turn the tone and gain down, or if you run it in front of the overdriven channel on a tube amp. I can get the exact sound of Nirvana out of this thing, but that's because Kurt Cobain used one of these. I'd say it's a good pedal for anything from modern rock to Grunge. While I love the sound of this, I'm marking it down a few points simply because I think some people will hate it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've heard good things about the reliablity of Boss pedals. It feels solid as a tank to me. I would gig with it without a backup, but if anything does go wrong, I can flick my Marshall JH-1 into distortion mode if it's overdrive function isn't needed for that particular song. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of different styles of music, from clean Indie to punk/grunge, maybe just a little bit of metal. This is a good match for harder rock, punk and Grunge. I've been playing guitar on and off since I was about 8, and now I'm 18, although I only started playing seriously about 3 years ago. In the way of distortion pedals the only other thing I have is a Marshall Jackhammer dist/OD pedal, which I use as an Overdrive to boost my amp's natural Drive. the whole reason I bought this is because the distortion mode on the Jackhammer not only marshallized my tone more than I wanted it to, for some reason the bypass goes bad when in distortion mode, and it actually grits up the signal a little when the pedal is turned off! If this pedal was lost or stolen, I'd either buy another DS-2, or try the cheaper DS-1 since I rarely seem to use mode II on this, which is the only thing that really separates it from the DS-1. The thing I love about this pedal is, needless to say, the buzzy, crunchy sound. it's exactly what I was looking for. The only downside is that it's noisy with the distortion cranked, but that's just a characteristic of all distortion pedals. I will probably be getting a remote footswitch for this at some point as the mode I and II remote switching could be a useful feature. I didn't really get to compare this properly with anything else as I ordered it off the internet, but I did try a DigiTech hothead and a EHX Big Muff Pi, wasn't so keen on either of them. I'm glad I did the foolish thing this time and bought this pedal simply because I liked the way the DS-1 sounded on some of Nirvana's songs and knew this would sound similar, although I don't endorse choosing equipment like this. I'm happy with this pedal, the only thing it leaves to be desired is the other pedal that I ordered from the same place! // 8

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: lorrythebassguy, on july 25, 2008

Purchased from: Local music shop

Ease of Use: Like all Boss pedals, it's extremely easy to use and the control are neatly laid out. There are two modes to Switch between; DS1 & Turbo. In the manual there are a few recommended settings and a space to write your own. Straight out of the box, I plugged it in as was able to find a variety of good tones. You can get anything from stuble OD/distortion, to ripping, full on distortion. there's also a footswitch jack to allow you to change modes. // 10

Sound: I'm using this with my Marshall Valvestate 8280 and my 1987 Squier Stratocaster. The pedal works well with both of these. The pedal is noisey when you have all the controlls nearly all the way up, as you would expect. I would probably recommend using a noise reduction pedal to get rid of some of the string noise. You can get a good range of Distortion sound from this pedal, from light distortion, to full on distortion and grungy sounds in turbo mode. The normal mode is more sutble and alows lighter tones, whereas the turbo mode is more distorted and raw. The turbo mode can also be used as a booster mode for soloing. You can get a good range of tones such as Nirvana, Green Day and a few others. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Like all Boss pedals, it's built like a tank and will outlive any human. I would use it at a gig without backup, but only if it was plugged into a transformer as battery life isnt that long. I did have to change the battery lead as it got caught in the spring and broke. // 10

Overall Impression: I use this pedal for punk rock & alternative rock tones & it suits this really well. This was my first effects pedal and I was very pleased with it. I tried other pedals such as the Digitec Bad Monkey but this was definately the best. It's suited to playing heavier music. This pedal is too raw for light Overdrive though! I recommend this pedal to anyone Who wants a kurt cobain tone or is looking for a searing overdrive. If it was stolen I would definately get another one. It also sounds good when used with a bass! beginners might prefer a multi effect. Great addition to your pedalboard! // 9

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: Mygeneration93, on july 10, 2009

Purchased from: Barnstrom Music-Medway

Ease of Use: This pedal is simple as can be, I've never had a problem with figuring out how to use it. Its only 3 different tone dials and then a dial that switches between the regular distortion and then then turbo feature. Also replacing the batteries is fairly simple just take the cover out and put it back on. // 10

Sound: I'm using this pedal with I've played with this pedal on much lager amps and it does a better job with that because I get a lot of buzzing from this pedal in my small 20 watt amp. However it still sounds good without the buzzing. The pedal is great though, I can get a warm slight bluesy distortion or even a crunching thrash metal distortion. I use this pedal for everything. But I specially like to use the turbo feature when I'm playing stuff like Janes Addiction. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm not going to lie I only got this pedal about a year ago so I can answer this for sure. But I've unfortunately had to play this pedal in the rain once and it still worked fine. I probably beat this pedal to death more than I should but it still seems to work fine and hasn't broken yet. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly alternative and Grunge like Janes addiction, Nirvana, Rage Against The Machine, and other stuff like that. But I also play classic rock like The Who, The Rolling Stones, and Led Zeppelin. But not only those two genres but I also play some thrash like Metallica and Megadeth and when I got this pedal I was suprised that I could use this pedal for every one of these bands. I even use this pedal over the distortion on my amp. I have been playing about two years and owned two other pedals but this one wins by far. I play it with a Berhinger delay pedal and a Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal. If I lost this pedal somehow I would definitely look into buying another one, I'd try to find a decent used one though because I realize it's expensive new. I love this pedal because I can use it with everything and do. I also love the turbo feature great for leads. // 10

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: anorexorcist15, on march 24, 2010

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

Ease of Use: This pedal is definatly one of the easiest pedals I have used. With 4 knobs includint a tone knob, level knob, distortion knob and the turbo feature (hence the name). The turbo knob is more of a 2 way Switch with position 2 giving it that little extra sound. The level Switch I have noticed can give lots of feedback (the good kind!) if it is turned up high, the tone gives it a lighter sound if turned up high. this pedal has 3 ports, an input, out and a remote port. This pedal is battery powered but there is a 9V port at the back if you wanted to use an adaptor. // 9

Sound: Right now my setup is a Pignose 60R and a Roland Cube 15 (both hooked up together). On the Pignose I have the midrange on full, master volume on full, volume on about a quater, bass and treble on half way. These setting apply to the Roland cube appart from the treble which is a quater of the way. I have been able to find sounds that are suitable for many genres including heavy metal, Grunge and even some old rock. The distortion you can get from this pedal is very good and I am satisfied with this buy. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very reliable, iv have taken it many places. It is fairly small and easy to travel with. It is light and can easily be stored in a rucksack or even a medium sized pocket! It is very sturdy and feels like it would take quite a beating! I would use this pedal and rely on it not to break during a show because I doubt it ever will! (unless it is purposely set on fire or something) // 8

Overall Impression: I am very influenced by bands like Nirvana, black flag, the melvins and metallica. This pedal is suitable for all those genres, especially Nirvana songs! If anything happened to this pedal I would definatly buy it again. I have been playing around 5 years now and I have a Pignose 60R, a Roland Cube 15 and a electro harmonix small clone. My current guitar is a les paul copy (don't laugh it was one of my first guitars!). I worked in a music shop for my work experience, the guys there were nice enough to let me try some of their stock. I came across this pedal and thought "this is the pedal I've been looking for!". I got it as a gift for christmas and it is definatly one of the best things I own! I highly recommend this to gigging guitarists who have a taste for distortion! // 9

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: Nirvanafanjonny, on march 24, 2010

Price paid: £ 59.99

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

Ease of Use: This is a very simple pedal to use. It has three main knobs (level, tone distortion) and a forth which clicks the pedal into its turbo setting. I'm only 16 and was in such a rush to buy it I couldn't wait for new stock and took the one off of the demo board meaning that for me it didn't come with any manual with any setting suggestions or anything and the fact that I can get many great sounds and achieve what I wanted shows its amazing ease of use. The turbo knob can be controlled by and external footswitch which, although I don't have, I can imagine would make the pedal even easier to use. // 9

Sound: I'm playing through a Fender Starcaster (shitty strat beginner model) into a Fender Frontman 15R reverb amp and the tone is impressive. There is some noise from the amp is you leave the pedal engaged when you aren't playing and at higher gain settings it does feedback easily but I think that this is all in the sense of the pedal, a loud distorted yet beautiful noise. Kurt Cobain used one I found it pretty easy to find his settings (level at about one oclock, tone between eleven and one oclock, distortion all the way up and turbo engaged) and with this setting you can play seamlessly to any nirvana track. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Only had it for less than a year but it is frequently moved about, dropped and abused and as expected from Boss its built like a tank and doesn't look like it will give in any time soon. I would defiantly gig this without backup, it will last a fair while running off of a single 9V battery // 10

Overall Impression: Playing a lot of Nirvana and Grunge all the way to Led Zepplin and the Foo Fighters this pedal never fails to impress me. Having only been playing and self taught for 2 years now this is the best purchase I have made for my setup. I use it along side a EHX Small Clone Chorus and an Onerr Carbon CX-1 Overdrive and they seem to work well together. If this was stolen I would be really pissed off because its so awesome and I would definitely replace it with another DS-2 without question. // 10

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: Darndez, on april 26, 2010

Purchased from: Yahoo Auctions Hong Kong

Ease of Use: Very straight forward. 1 Tone, Distortion and Volume knob plus a Mode knob to Switch between turbo mode and normal. Easy to use. Mine came with a manual, it had setup suggestions as well as blank rubrics to put down memorable tone settings and was useful. // 10

Sound: Both distortion sounds are above average, nothing fancy or over the top. Just crunchy and strong distortion with a quick decay. Mode 1 dist is more subtle than Turbo; apparently Kurt Cobain of Nirvana used this setting during his Nevermind tours, by pushing the volume all the way up as well as the distortion knob- whilst keeping the tone at 12 o'clock. Turbo is more ferocious but still tamed. Setbacks- There is an input that allows a remote foot Switch (from Boss) to plug into; allowing the Switch between Mode 1 and 2 possible without actually bending down to twist the knobs. However, there is a noticeable flaw; the different volume levels between 1 and 2 are very apparent. Switching from 2 to 1 for example will cause the sound to become really quiet. Perhaps the reduction of volume will work well for you but it definitely did not work for me. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is built like a tank and has a 9V power supple input. However I found the battery compartment extremely annoying and difficult. Before I got the power supply, I had to place/remove the battery every single time I was using it. Unscrewing/screwing was just a chore (maybe it wouldn't be for you) plus trying to fit that battery in a compartment so small it was simply too much of a hassle. If you are getting this pedal, get the power supply. Despite there are people saying "battery tone is better". Its still worth getting the adapter. No backup is needed, however it is better to be safe than sorry! // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock. Stuff like Pink Floyd, AC/DC etc. It is the first effects pedal I got and for the past 6 months it has been a joy to play my instrument through it. However I felt the distortion didn't have enough oomph and sustain to it, thus I got myself a Vintage DOD Death Metal Distortion FX86 instead and replaced it. However, that being said. This is a nearly-all purpose distortion pedal. It can be extremely subtle and crunchy or loud with a large bite to it. I do recommend this pedal to beginners and professionals alike. I guess the only genre you can't play is metal, so metal-heads stay away from this one. I have recently sold this pedal to a good friend of mine, who will definitely put this lovely hardware into better use than I have. Don't think I will get another one yet...until I have more cash at hand and nothing else to invest in. If you are thinking of getting it, please do! // 8

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: Raptor195, on july 05, 2011

Purchased from: Hermes Music

Ease of Use: Very easy to use stompbox, it has knobs for Level, Tone, Drive and a Switch for selecting between modes I and II, modes can also be switched with the addition of a footswitch, Boss recommends FS2 but any Switch will work. The manual explains how every parameter works, and shows some settings. // 10

Sound: I mainly use a Telecaster with it. I put it after a Crybaby and then put some other Boss distortions and modulators, and everything goes into a Laney LG35R. It IS noisy, even more than a Metal Zone, especially on Mode II, but it always sounds good on every setting. Its sound depends a lot on the guitar you use, it sounds bright with single coils and really fat with humbuckers; active pickups make it scream fat and big. I play mainly Red Hot Chili Peppers, this pedal produces the distortion that John Frusciante uses in the Slane Castle Concert solos, by setting Tone to full, Drive at 3 oclock and Mode II. If you remove all the high freqs and use humbuckers, you get Grunge fuzz. For grunge, alternative, punk, and of course John Frusciante-style, it is perfect. It is, strangely, not that good for metal. For that, go for a Metal Zone. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is a Boss, so it is very sturdy and resistant, I use it without a backup if I dont need to take another distortion for different sounds to gigs. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff, jazz, blues and rock. This pedal is perfect for Frusciante's distortion sound and in my opinion, the best distortion for single coils and for everyone not looking for metal gain, but for alternative, grungy fuzz-overdrive-distortion sounds, no matter if you play humbuckers, single coils or active pups. I own several pedals now, and I plan buying more, but THIS is the distortion for me. I love it. Not too versatile but perfect for my style. If it were stolen, lost... I would buy it again, definetely. It is noisy, but well nothing in this world is perfect. Many people try to say that the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone distortion pedal is better that this, well, yes the MT-2 is very versatile and not only for metal, but it cant produce the fat or bright mid boost that the Turbo can produce, trust me, I have tried because I also own the Metal Zone. // 10

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: MattMusic123, on march 21, 2012

Ease of Use: The Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion is perfect for any style of distortion, it has a beautiful tone and sounds excellent. It came with a manual telling you everything you need to know and even extra information. I love the sound of it and use it whenever I play. Sometimes I have to sit for quite a while to find a sound that works well with the tone of my guitar and the settings on my amp. // 7

Sound: I'm using it with a 15 Watt Crate Flexwave 15R guitar amplifier and an Ibanez GAX30. It's heavily distorted and can produce perfect distortion sounds. Using the pedal I can get closer to many famous artist's tones, like Guns N' Roses, Led Zeppelin, Metallica etc. The battery doesn't last very long and the effect becomes very weak after a few hours after replacing the battery. The distortion is very heavy and a bit too much for my style of playing and for my guitar, which is also distorted. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it to create the sounds that I want and need. I would definitely use it at a gig without backup. I will probably keep it for as long as I need it and probably not want to upgrade to a better one. I enjoy using it and can rely on it. I would like it if it had more battery life, a stronger sound and if the distortion wasn't as heavy as it is. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly hard rock and metal and it suits my style perfectly. I have been playing for 5 years. If it were stolen or lost I would probably buy the same one again. When I bought it I compared it to another Boss distortion pedal and preferred this one because of the beautiful sound. I would like it if it had more battery life, more of a strong sound and if the distortion wasn't as heavy. // 8

DS-2 Turbo Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 24, 2012

Ease of Use: I bought this pedal based largely on the fact that John Frusciante uses one, and was looking to emulate his sound at "Slane Castle" and the "Dani California" chorus and I found that the pedal gave this sound almost immediately. // 9

Sound: I use 60s Strat and an Epiphone Firebird Studio through a Blackstar HT60 Stage, and as has been mentioned previously, the tone of the pedal is altered mainly through amp EQ settings, so I adjust the treble levels on the amp and have the pedal knobs at a constant setting. The pedal doesn't seem to give too much of a problem at high volumes as far as I can tell and it has a really great effect on a Strat. It doesn't seem to handle the Wah effect on my ME-50, though I may have the setup configured wrong, or it may be a dying ME-50, but either way, it goes pretty muddy and ill-defined. Like I said, it's good to have an idea of a sound based on the Turbo's use in a song you know, for example "Dani California". It's also really great for Pixies, especially through a humbucker like on the Firebird. It's just a really great heavy distortion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I found the batteries run out extremely quickly, within a couple of hours of replacing, so I would advise investing in an adapter like I will. I always play through my ME-50 anyway, so if the pedal died I would use some distortion settings on that. Based on the battery life I'd be hesitant not to bring a back-up to a gig, but with an adapter I'm sure you'd be fine, if you only need one kind of distortion. // 7

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 9 years or so, in the last 2 years I've been using a Strat and a Firebird. I play mainly high-gain alt. Rock, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Pixies, Biffy Clyro, Muse, Weezer, RHCP etc. And for that it's absolutely ideal. It's a perfect tone for a slightly heavier take on songs like "Where Is My Mind" through humbuckers, and I recently discovered its genius as a tone for something like "Search And Destroy" by The Stooges, even through a strat. I'm going to try out an Ibanez WH10-2 or DB-7 Wah, just to see if that helps with the Wah situation, so I'd advise you try it out with a Wah before hand, if that's a style you often utilise. I think I'd definitely regret losing the pedal but the OD2 channel on the Blackstar Stage 60 or the ME-50 DS effects would probably hold me off from buying another one immediately but if it was my only source of distortion, I think I'd be pretty distraught. I love that it's easy to get exactly the sound I was hoping for, and I love that it's also perfectly suited for my own style, in a way I never considered. I bought a Boss OS-2 and found it wasn't the style of distortion I was looking for, so was put off Boss pedals slightly, but this DS-2 has restored my faith. // 9

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ ME-50B Bass Multi Effects Processor 8.5 Bass Effects 11/20/2014