DSD-3 Digital Sampler/Delay Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 01/19/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: DSD-3 Digital Sampler/Delay
It's a delay pedal, so it's really easy to get a good sound out of it. This pedal isn't noisy, it does have an internal compression chip which helps even out the sound but no hiss which is handy. This is good for everything so music style doesn't matter.
 Ease of Use: 10
 9.3
 8.6
review (1) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
DSD-3 Digital Sampler/Delay Reviewed by: ShaneCallaghan, on january 19, 2012

Price paid: € 20

Purchased from: Reynolds Letterekenny

Ease of Use: It's a delay pedal, so it's really easy to get a good sound out of it. The delay time ranges from 50 milliseconds to 800 milliseconds and also can sample part of your playing as a kind of really short looper, as it only loops 800 milliseconds. Just set it to the tempo for a good clean repeat and go. I unfortunately never got the manual because I bought it used. // 10

Sound: I use this in front of my amp, and after most of my effects, after this pedal it goes Line 6 Liqua Flange - Line 6 DL4 - Reverb. It sounds good here and I get a kickass multi head haunting sound when I have the DL4 and the DSD-3 going at the same time. This pedal isn't noisy, it does have an internal compression chip which helps even out the sound but no hiss which is handy. If you set the repeats to as many as you can and to the longest delay, you can strum once and be waiting for a minute and a half before you can hear silence. I can get a good slap back, dotted 8th and mellowy flowing echo from this pedal, so Tom Morrello is a given, you can get nearly any artists delay out of this though. I like to set this to a long delay and messing around with my DigiTech Whammy so I get a sweet sounding "Like A Stone" solo sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Ok, a little story for you. The guy I bought this pedal from owned this brand new the year after they were released (1987), toured with it on his board for 9 years, threw it in his she'd and forgot about it amongst the rubble, rust and damp for 6 years, then put it back on his board after his replacement delay broke and kept gigging it for 7 years until I bought it because he felt the need to replace it. I bought it of him for cheap cos the some of the paint is rubbed of and he said the footswitch was sticking even though I have had no trouble so far. I've owned it from 2010 and I am glad to say this pedal is still working perfectly, TWENTY-F--KING-FIVE YEARS LATER! What has been affected by this timeline, the little scratches and tiniest chips of paint on the outside of the pedal. Apparently it wasn't even flight-cased properly and this thing still works. And all for 20. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said, this is good for everything so music style doesn't matter, I've been playing for a decade and this thing is older than me. If I broke my Line 6 DL4, I'd just try and find another one of these, same if this pedal was stolen. I know I don't need a backup with this, it's hard as nails and tougher than hell. I love everything about this pedal. The only thing I wish it had would be a modulation setting, just so I could cover nearly every sound I need. But I already have a flanger so it's all good. Enjoy this pedal if you ever decide to buy one, this thing is a monster that will live longer than me. Happy playing. On a side note, congratulations Boss and Roland, you got ten out of ten all round in my opinion. // 10

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ GT-100 Amp Effects Processor 7.9 Guitar Effects 07/07/2014