FDR-1 Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 07/11/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: FDR-1 Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb
The second in the new Legend Series is the FDR-1, based on the Fender 1965-era Deluxe Reverb, a coveted tube amp known for its natural touch-responsive and distinctive snappy overdriven sound.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.4
 Ease of Use: 8.6
reviews (5) pictures (2) 29 comments vote for this gear:
FDR-1 Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reviewed by: UG Team, on march 23, 2007

Ease of Use: The Boss Fender Deluxe Reverb pedal is laid out pretty simply: Level and Gain on a concentric pot, Treble, Bass, then Vibrato and Reverb on another concentric pot. The Vibrato control is for depth only. The only way to control vibrato speed is with the Tap function: hold the foot switch down for 2 seconds to enter Tap mode, tap in the vibrato speed, then hold it down for two more seconds to lock in the speed. It adds some versatility to the pedal, but I found the programming cumbersome. You're talking about several seconds of playing with the footswitch to get your speed set. For stage use, I want to be able to do as much with only one tap of my foot as possible. I think I would have put a vibrato speed knob on another pot at the top of the unit with the others. // 7

Sound: Just like with my recent Boss Fender Bassman pedal review, I must state that Fender amps have never been a part of my setup. The Deluxe Reverb and Twin are the king for clean tones, but I am not a big fan of their distorted tones. With the Drive set pretty low, you've got the quintessential Fender tone: bright, crisp and clear, with just a bit of hair on it when you dig in. Turning the Gain knob up gets you into the Fender classic rock tone -- saturated, edgy and thin. I prefer a thicker, more Marshall/Bogner distorted tone, but Fender lovers will feel right at home. The vibrato, as mentioned before, was a bit difficult to use, but can do anything from a slow, subtle sweep to a chaotic stutter. The reverb was a pretty good approximation of spring reverb that sounded best when used sparingly. Any setting above 12 o'clock drowned the tone in a wash of ambience. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Boss effect pedals haven't changed much in 30 years or so, and with good reason -- they never break! Boss is smart enough to know a good thing when they have it, and their pedals are legendary for being able to take tons of abuse and keep working without a whimper. // 9

Overall Impression: I don't think the FDR-1 is something I would incorporate into my Live setup, but it would be great to beef up a lackluster clean tone, or to Drive the front end of your tube amp harder. Even if you already have gobs of gain, hitting it with a bit harder signal will make it brighter and more responsive. It would also be useful in the studio for an instant clean tone without having to wheel out an 80+ pound amp. For blues and classic rock players looking for that classic Fender tone, Boss has come up with a clear winner. // 7

FDR-1 Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 13, 2011

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: Despite there being 6 parameters it is very intuitive, just set your eq level on your amp flat and dial in the amp settings on your pedal. The tap tremolo is a little confusing at first but still very workable and a cool addition. // 10

Sound: The sound is great is you are running it through say a basic Crate 2x12 combo. This pedal makes mediocre amps sound great, I wasn't even tempted to run it through the Ampeg jet I have, why put something digital on tube tone? The Crate is a fine amp, nothing special tonally but solid, light "cough", and plenty loud, the pedal doesn't totally transform it a deluxe reverb but it opens a solid state amp to sing a little bit more. It's an amp simulator, don't buy it if you just want the reverb or the tremolo. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I hadn't owned a Boss pedal in years but I know they are built to last. // 10

Overall Impression: I like the sounds of the west loving surf music, corridos, western swing, and other exciting western-centric sounds and Fender amps have always one of my favorite sounding amps. I have been playing out for about 10 years now and have lugged numerous tube amps and rhodes around. Tube amps need a fair amount of maintenance especially when they start getting thrown around in the back of vans. It's nice to go to a show and be able to keep things simple and as light as possible. It's always comes down to the player. And perhaps in the future we will tour by bicycle, borrowing instruments but still being able to achieve some sense of desired tone. For digital pedal, I'm pleased. // 10

FDR-1 Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reviewed by: leondb, on may 08, 2007

Purchased from: American Musical

Ease of Use: This is a pretty simple pedal to use. I looked briefly through the book on the ride home, but pedals don't really need instructions. I kept getting mixed up with which was volume/gain, and which was reverb/vibrato. I'd prefer extra knobs instead of knobs on top of each other. I don't have much use for vibrato, but adjusting the tap tempo wasn't too bad for me. // 8

Sound: I play it on a Line 6 Spider II amp. I don't use it on the Clean channel. I like how the Twang channel sounds with the gain off on the amp. This pedal sounds very nice! The gain is wonderful! I personally love playing the Cult and AC/DC with this pedal. It's amazing how it makes a solid state amp sound! But I haven't found a very big difference in sound when adjusting the bass and treble. The reverb sounds nice and usable at low levels. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I owned a Boss Metal Zone years back, and have mostly owned DigiTech pedals. I was surprised how light the FDR-1 is. It feels like plastic, compared to the metal casing of DigiTech pedals. I think it would last, but it just doesn't feel as sturdy as what I'm used to. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a good combination of '70s, '80s, '90s, and current rock. This pedal is perfect for the classic rock tunes my band covers. Love Removal Machine, Wild Flower, Dirty Deeds, Rock and Roll, this pedal really shines! My other pedals are a DigiTech Grunge, and Hyper Phaser. I recently sold my DigiTech Screaming Blues, because it didn't have the sound I was looking for. I love the Overdrive this pedal can put out, and how it sounds, even through a solid state amp. The reverb is ok. It's better then the reverb built into my amp. Give this pedal a try! I've owned it for a few hours now, but I love it! // 9

FDR-1 Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 24, 2011

Ease of Use: It's very easy to dial in a pleasing tone although the reverb knob at max adds ALOT of reverb so it requires a slight touch to get the amount you want. It's pretty intuitively laid out so you could easily change settings during a gig without too much worry. I didn't receive a manual with it. // 8

Sound: I'm running this pedal as the last in a chain of effects (tuner, EQ, wah, analogue delay, reverb) directly into the input of an Orange Tiny Terror. It does produce a noticable hiss but it's not loud enough to be distracting or to piss off the sound engineer. When you increase the gain, the hiss increases. I'm using this pedal soley as a reverb unit so I have the gain as low as possible with the level at max and the Vibrato at zero. You can create a very nice spring type reverb by dialing in the pedals 'treble' and 'bass' knobs. To be honest, this really does sound like a Vintage Fender amp. The only thing I need to add is that this pedal works much better if you have it in an effects loop (after the power amp), especially if you're using high gain settings as the amp will distort the reverb. I'm getting a effects loop installed in my tiny terror so that I can do this. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yeah this thing like all Boss pedals is rock solid. Apart from the battery running out I can't imagine that anything could go wrong with it. I would feel no need to use a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play fairly heavy, ambient, progressive post rock and we spend a LOT of time getting the perfect tone from our amps. Both of us (the guitarists) are professional audio engineers so we're very very picky over these things. The fact that I bought this pedal should be a testament to it's quality. I'm giving it a 9 overall because the Vibrato is kind of annoying to use and it would be nice if you could engage it seperately from the reverb. Otherwise, this thing does exactly what it's meant to do. If you want a Vintage Fender but only have 100 then buy one of these and run it into your clean channel. // 9

FDR-1 Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 11, 2012

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: Tried setting up the pedal in from my usual amp settings and it sounded horrible so I used the manual to get sample settings and wow made such a difference. The trick is to set your amp flat no presence or bright switch etc and then use the pedal as your eq. Take a while to get used to... // 10

Sound: I used to have a 1979 Twin Reverb that blew up at a gig pouring smoke, I love fender tube amps sound but they don't like me they always let me down very unreliable. So I needed something with a similar sound and the best transistor amp I ever played was my old Peavey 112 Special 160w which I luckily bought back off the guy that had it. I use a Strat for blues, Hendrix etc and a Tele for Alan Jackson type stuff. Mainly a strat for scorching Hendrix Cream SRV stuff into a modded Cry Baby - Mad Driver Screamer Clone - Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe - Boss FDR-1 - amp. The pedal is the missing link for me to get a really impressive Fenderish tube type tone from my Peavey my band mates actually think my gig set up now sounds better live and I think I have to agree. It gives the classic push effect of valves and great feedback plus touch sensitive virtually silent operation with this pedal. Its on from power on to I finish playing. I use it set to a crunch setting and then layer the mad driver on top for more ignorance Rory Gallagher to Hendrix type sounds. Now I don't use the reverb on th pedal for blues only use the amp reverb for slow stuff or effect but country I use the reverb on the pedal all the time pitty you can't turn it off and on with another switch ah well... // 10

Reliability & Durability: Sherman tank and has a tolex type hammer finish like on an amp really nice. // 10

Overall Impression: Well I play country Vince Gill in one band to classic blues rock Rory Gallagher, SRV, Cream and Hendrix in my other band. Been playing 30 years. I tried an amp simulator pedal once by Ashton on this same amp helped a bit but not anywhere as good as this pedal. Comparing the sound to my twin it ain't exact but hey it 'this amp has only one speaker and it just sounds and feels really great. Love this pedal I now have a transistor amp which is reliable and also gets the sound I like it what I call a result. Reverb and vibrato on and off output would be great though. // 10

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ GT-100 Amp Effects Processor 7.9 Guitar Effects 07/07/2014