FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 07/06/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz
It is a relatively harder to use fuzz pedal in comparison to other 3-knobbed fuzz pedals around the globe, since it has 3 different modes, and each knob reacts differently depending on the mode you're on. (Them being Fuzz 1, Fuzz 2 and Gain Boost). I just love how it unleashes pure dirt, sludge, horrifying filth the moment you step on it.
 Ease of Use: 8
 7.8
 6.5
review (1) pictures (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz Reviewed by: Kuntekin, on july 06, 2012

Purchased from: Forum, second hand

Ease of Use: It is a relatively harder to use fuzz pedal in comparison to other 3-knobbed fuzz pedals around the globe, since it has 3 different modes, and each knob reacts differently depending on the mode you're on. (Them being Fuzz 1, Fuzz 2 and Gain Boost) I've had no manual for it, so I fiddled around the knobs with my own taste, and what I've been seeking. // 8

Sound: I use this pedal in front of the 5150's clean channel, Schecter C-1 Exotic with SH6-SH2N pickups, and to an Engl 2x12 Vintage 30 cabinet. It could be considered noisy in high gain settings, especially in Fuzz 2 mode, so you'll have to be pretty accurate in order to make it or break it, otherwise it gets way too muddy and your open strings even sound like muted. The Fuzz 1 mode sounds similar to a Big Muff with a bit more oscillation, the Gain Boost mode is for overdrive-like boosting purposes, but with a definitive fuzz vibe, could be ideal for some slam-death-goregrind kinda sludgy chugging tones, or relatively less dirtier sludge metal/doom tones. Now the real beast in this pedal is the Fuzz 2 mode, which is the exact same tone in Electric Wizard's "Dopethrone" album. This mode is purely from the depths of hell and drenched in smoke. It is extremely sludgy/scooped and sizzly, similar to a high gain non master volume Orange amp with a broken speaker quite a bit more to the extreme. It instantly NAILS the Electric Wizard tone on this mode, and that's mainly why I've bought this pedal. Plus, it's basically the similar tone regardless of your amp set up, so this mode is definitely a one trick pony, but the best at it too. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Like any other Boss pedal, it's well built and surely you can depend on it, I suppose mine is from mid 90's (since it's been discontinued since 1997) and its a lovely workhorse regardless of its beat-up looks. I suppose no one would need a backup, well it would be pretty bad if it broke down and your band is covering Electric Wizard though. // 9

Overall Impression: I play many kinds of rock or metal, but I also tend to love playing 90's dirty, filthy stoner/sludge/doom, and in my opinion one of the fundamental pedals for this kind of music. I'd definitely buy it again if it would get stolen or lost, since it's the only pedal for sweet Liz Buckingham's guitar tone, I just love how it unleashes pure dirt, sludge, horrifying filth the moment you step on it. If it would be either Big Muff or this one, I'd definitely go for the FZ-2, since the Fuzz 1 mode is easily tweakable to nail the Muff tones. I'm pretty happy with the pedal, and I just hope that they make a reissue or something similar, so I can easily recommend it to my best friends. // 10

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ GT-100 Amp Effects Processor 7.9 Guitar Effects 07/07/2014