FZ-5 Fuzz Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 12/14/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: FZ-5 Fuzz
The FZ-5 is a modern pedal built for the modern guitarist, but its sounds are pure retro. The FZ-5 recreates vintage fuzz tones from the '60s and '70s through BOSS's state-of-the-art COSM technology.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Ease of Use: 8.5
 7.2
 7.8
 6.5
reviews (2) 17 comments vote for this gear:
FZ-5 Fuzz Reviewed by: henrik.sam.eyde, on december 14, 2010

Ease of Use: This is a very simple pedal which I got for Christmas a while ago. This is my only pedal, since I'm pretty much an amateur. It has three knobs, a Level (Volume), a Fuzz and the mode selector. That's it. It turns on when you plug a jack into the input, and it has a LED indicator telling you when it's on. It works, and when it doesn't, I change the battery. I'm kind of a lazy owner, so I often forget to pull out the input jack, and because it's turned on by inserting the jack, and turned off by removing it, it stays on. So I have changed battery quite a few times. But it works. // 9

Sound: When I got this pedal, all I had was a cheap "Supreme Red Devil" and a Roland Cube 20X, and the sounds I got out of that weren't entirely pleasing, on any modes. Kind of a letdown. But recently I have acquired new, "profsional" gear, a '09 Gibson SG Special Faded and a Marshall Class 5 valve amp, which sounds awesome coupled up. When I tried this pedal in between, it was a different pedal. I tweaked the knobs and managed to get some cool lead sounds. And then I jammed on Voodoo Child for twenty pleasing minutes. I had thoughts on selling it, but now I don't. The best modes is the Fuzz Face and Octavia, because the Maestro sounds kind of hollow and trebly. Note that I didn't try the expanded range on the right side of the Fuzz knob too much, because I'm not particularly fond of hi-gain fuzz sounds. The Octavia mode also generates a fairly high amount of buzzing when you're not playing, so I kept the Fuzz knob down on that one. This pedal might be cool if you want to sound like Hendrix, but keep in mind you need good gear as well. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I don't gig, but this pedal, like most other Boss pedals, looks like it could withstand a 10 feet drop. I wouldn't try it though, like you wouldn't try to hit a Synapse with a baseball bat. If I had been gigging, I think I would rely on it, as long as I had it connected to a power source, and not running on batteries. The finish strengthens my impression of it being indestructible. The buffer distorted my signal a little, but it sounded OK. // 9

Overall Impression: This pedal does what it is meant to do, if not perfect. I play a wide array of styles, but mostly bluesy 70's rock. I didn't like the pedal with my first setup, but it has earned new respect with my new one. I think I'm going to begin using it again. If it were lost, I think I'd buy something else, a real Fuzz Face maybe. Or nothing, my amp gives me plenty of natural distortion. This is the only pedal I have, and I do not plan to buy a similar one soon. So I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I know how a Fuzz pedal should sound like, and this does the trick. Good fuzz tones, if not faithful replicas of the originals. // 8

FZ-5 Fuzz Reviewed by: Jhachey22, on june 02, 2008

Ease of Use: this pedal is pretty straight forward. you have three controls: Level, Fuzz and a mode selection Switch. the pedal has three modes: "F" (a Fuzz Face simulator), "M" (a Maestro Fuzz Tone simulator) and "O" (an Octavio simulator). one of the neat features not found on Vintage pedals is the boost function. From 7-12 o'clock, you get normal, Vintage sounding fuzz. but from 12 o'clock on, you get some extra grit not found on Vintage fuzzboxes. I don't usually care about looks when I have effects, but this pedal has the cool grey colour of the Vintage fuzz faces. unlike other Boss pedals, it is textured, like crybabys and other assorted MXR pedals. The manual is pretty short. it gives you a couple of suggestions on how to get a certain tone, a brief history of COSM and other assorted information that is pretty much standard for a Boss pedal. At the back, there is four blank pedal pictures for you to draw in your presets. // 8

Sound: I used it with a classic psychedelic rock setup: 96' Epi Les Paul Standard - Rotovibe -Wah - FZ-5 - Marshall MG 1/2 stack. My first suggestion is don't put it on the distortion channel. It just makes too much mess. I stared all modes of with both controls at 12 o'clock. First, the Fuzz Face setting, made famous by Jimi Hendrix on songs like "Bold As Love" and many other recordings by the master. A good, solid place to start. It's just your basic fuzz. Moving the fuzz into the boost mode, it gave me gobs of gain that would make any distortion fanatic happy. Backing off the fuzz and adding more level, you can get a pretty good. Classic rock distortion. But unlike the Fuzz Face, this pedal is digital. You can't really clean it up like the old pedals by backing up the volume on your guitar. The Fuzz Face is my favourite of the three modes, I'll tell you why in a bit. Now onto the Maestro fuzz, made famous by Keith Richards on "Satisfaction". I rarely use this setting. It is very trebly, and it has some sort of silencer/compressor built in that chokes off your notes. I have yet to find a good setting for this mode. Moving the fuzz knob clockwise into the boost mode, the fuzz just got harsher and less pleasing. moving the fuzz back to about 7 1/2-8 o'clock, the tone was thin and wimpy. Chords and power chords sound like crap. Finally, the Octavio mode. not as bad as the maestro, but not better than the Fuzz Face. It tries to emulate the classic Octavio effect made famous by Jimi Hendrix on songs like "Who Knows" and "Purple Haze". The tone sucks. It's octave up is non-existent and hard to achieve. I had to play on the neck pickup with my tone rolled all the way back, and only using the 15th fret upwards on the E, A and D strings. It's OK, but not very useable. Chords and power chords sound like crap, just like the maestro simulator. I am giving it a 6. if it was just the Fuzz Face simulator, it would probably be an 8, but the two others really bring it down. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It's a pretty reliable pedal for the F mode, but I never use the other modes. It's built very sturdy, not as indestructable as a Dunlop or MXR pedal, but it's pretty solid. I would use it at a gig without a backup, but if it broke, I would not buy another one. I only got this one because it was all I could get with my trade in (a Boss DD-3 delay). if it broke, I would probably spring for a Fuzz Face. // 8

Overall Impression: With the magic of COSM technology, Boss has stuffed three of the most famous fuzz boxes into one. Obviously, they are not perfect, but for someone who does not have a lot of cash and wants to try some fuzz, they should check it out. I play a lot of classic rock (Hendrix, Clapton, Allmans, Aerosmith, etc), but you can get some good grit for metal and stoner rock. All in all, it's a good pedal for a good price. // 7

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ ME-50B Bass Multi Effects Processor 8.5 Bass Effects 11/20/2014