GE-7 Equalizer Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 05/12/2014 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: GE-7 Equalizer
The GE-7 has seven bands ranging from 100Hz to 6.4kHz, ideal for tweaking guitar sounds, with boost/cut of +/- 15dB per band. This lets you completely control your sound and eliminate unwanted feedback, particularly when connected after a distortion effect.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.4
 Ease of Use: 8.3
 9.1
 9.2
reviews (10) pictures (4) 21 comments vote for this gear:
GE-7 Equalizer Reviewed by: hippie_punk, on may 08, 2006

Ease of Use: The only flaw. Although it comes with an instruction manual, it really isn't any help. What you have to do is sit down for a while, work with it hooked up to your amp, and figure out how it works. After that initial process, though, it's very easy to use. // 6

Sound: I use this with an Ibanez Gio and a modified Cort Knock-off Stratocaster into a Crate GT212. It gives a very nice boost right where you tell it to. The controls work like a charm. My only greivance is that it gives off a slight hum when using the full boost. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss. Nothing else to say. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly grunge, punk, hardcore, and noise. It is great for a nice boost when needed. I often use it almost as a volume pedal. I dial in my lead tone on the equalizer and put the boost all the way up. I then put my rhythem sound into the amp. When playing an intro or solo, I turn on the equalizer with my lead tone. When singing, I turn off the equalizer for my softer rhythm sound. I also use it often to give a bass type pop sound to an intro. Overall very nice. This is the best equalizer I've seen, and I would buy it again. // 8

GE-7 Equalizer Reviewed by: ToxicTrace100, on march 02, 2012

Purchased from: Coyle's Richboro Music

Ease of Use: This pedal has eight adjustable sliders, seven for tone from 100 hz to 6.4k, as well as a gain slider. This extremely versatile little pedal is incredibly useful for getting your tone from 80% of the way there to 100& tone heaven. Like the crunch on you Marshall but it doesn't have enough thump? Boost the 100hz a bit. Mesa too muddy? Suck some of that low end out and let the tone shine. This pedal is excellent, but it's only hang up is the learning curve. A lot of people who get this will use it instead of their amps eq, It should be used in conjunction with your eg and pedals, put into use in the effects loop only after you've gotten as close to the sound you want as possible. It's also a good idea to have an idea of want tone you actually want when going in with one of these, as well as knowing how to go about getting said tone. I wish I could rate this higher, because it's such a great pedal, but alas. // 7

Sound: This pedal is transparent. What that means is that it doesn't color your amps mid frequencies, it just moves them around with the sliders. This is great for those people who have a medium priced to expensive amp that they don't want to get rid of but aren't quite happy with. I run this through the loop on my 5150 II to add more hi-mids and tame the very top end a bit, as well as adding a little bump to the 100 hz. The result is an amp that sounds as good as any mesa I've heard and for much less. The effect is instantly heard, sliding something all the way up or down will seriously change your sound, but this thing is best for little tweaks. I can get many sounds out of this, from punk to black metal to hard rock and warm jazz, so it won't disappoint the varied ultimate-guitar community. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely depend on this, its durable and sounds great. I would gig without a backup, but not without my power supply. I've had this pedal for a while and its gotten thrown around a bit, still works and sounds pristine. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal is being used to get a JCM crunch out of the lead channel of a 5150 II for extreme metal, so it can do pretty much anything. I've been playing for a while, and when used right, this thing will really open up different options to you tonally, just knowing how to tweak it is the important part. If this pedal was lost or stolen I would definitely buy it again. I compared this to an MXR six-band, and I choose this one for the extra versatility. // 10

GE-7 Equalizer Reviewed by: metallhead, on march 28, 2008

Ease of Use: If you understand what this pedal is for it is easy to use. The manual does not explain what sound is and what frequencies are and how the Universe works. It is not supposed to and it doesn't. I think the pedal is easy to use if you do some extra reading on the web. Once you get it then everything is a breeze. // 9

Sound: I am using the GE-7 in front of the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT. For the distortion models the on board equalizer is useless so an external one is needed. In fact I max out all the on board eq's and shape the sound with the GE-7. It works like a charm. The pedal is not noisy if the level knob is not raised excessively. I found that for the flat or lower level knob there is no noise. I usually leave it on the 0 setting (in the middle). I hate the lows on the Valvetronix so I use the GE-7 to cut them a little and boost the mids. I get a nice Megadeth sound for both lead and rhythm. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is made of metal and it looks like it could take a lot of punishment. I never heard one of these to go bad. I do not use a battery but a cheap walmart adapter and it works fine. I think I would use it without a backup. But just in case I would not drop it or throw it into someone because I like it too much. // 10

Overall Impression: There are several pedals that will do what the GE-7 does but I chose this for reliability and the name. Plus you can get them for half the price (round $55) from forums or craigslist which is excellent. I consider this a must and I wouldn't think about using the distortion models on my Valvetronix without one. The clean channels are fine without an equalizer but the distortion channels are a different story. I would definitely buy another one if something happened to it. I've been playing for over 10 years on and off and in my opinion this is one of the most useful pedals that I have ever used. // 10

GE-7 Equalizer Reviewed by: PuReDeAtH, on february 10, 2007

Purchased from: Showtime Music

Ease of Use: The Boss GE-7 Equalizer has a great tone to it, and almost just by plugging it in does it improve your tone quality. When used in combination with other pedals, it takes their tone an makes it crisp an clean, almost as if by magic. The manual, though, could have used some work. The EQ pedal has several adjustable levels on it, an yet the manual does not even begin to say what each one does, let alone what level is best for what. // 8

Sound: I use my Boss GE-7 Equalizer pedal with a Paul Reed Smith SE Billy Martin Model, a Zoom 505 Multi-FX pedal, and a 15 watt Marshall DFX amp. It does make a slight buzz like noise if you crank the level on it, but with a good NoiseGate you don't even really notice it. The effect is basically just to improve the sound of your existing set-up, and it always sounds great. It can also be used to slightly mold the sound of your guitar, to better match what your playing. I use it to match sounds of some the bands I play songs from, Breaking Benjamin, Slipknot ans Nonpoint just to name a few. It does what it does very well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's very reliable, but seems to eat the batteries quite readily, I'd always keep a spare 9v handy, just in case. If I was on a gig I'd probably have a backup, you never know when a short may happen. Stands up well against all the jumping an stomping, an I'd say it's very much durable an sturdy. I've been using it a while an it barely has a scratch on it. // 7

Overall Impression: The Boss GE-7 Equalizer pedal is a great thing for any musician to own. I have been playing over a year now, an the Boss EQ pedal has been a great help to model an shape my sound to what I believe my music should sound like. If my EQ were to be stolen, I would definately get a new one, I have grown to love the crisp tone quality, an can't play with out it. The one thing I hate about it though, is how easy it is to misunderstand the settings on the pedal. So many settings so little instructions on what they do. I just with that it had a built in NoiseGate, an it would be the greatest addition to any guitar player's arsenal. // 9

GE-7 Equalizer Reviewed by: Sonicxlover, on march 17, 2007

Purchased from: East Coast Music Mall

Ease of Use: This thing is extremely easy to use, if you know how to work it. It helps to know what each band does to your sound. I had to go to the Boss website to get settings, but their settings work like a charm. Again, easy if you know what to do with it. Boss pedals are usually pretty simple, and this one is no exception. // 7

Sound: I love what the GE-7 does to my tone. I like to put it in a frown shape by boosting the highs and lows, and I tell you, it really boosts my tone. When I thrown down my riffs, it really gives them balls. When I launch into my soloing, it helps my tone cut through and makes it that much more enjoyable. One complaint is the slight hum, which you can just ignore. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It may sound cliche, but this pedal is built like a tank, as most Boss pedals are. I never need to worry about it breaking or screwing up when I play. My one complaint, as someone else said, is that it sucks the life out of batteries (which I use). With heavy playing, I need to replace the battery every one or two weeks, which can get annoying. But not a problem if you use a power supply. // 8

Overall Impression: I play everything from blues to classic rock to occasional metal, and I can tell you honestly that the GE-7 enhances my tone no matter what I play. I've only owned this pedal for a few motnhs, and I refuse to go onstage without it. If it were stolen, I'd definitely buy it again. I believe every serious guitar player should own an EQ, and this is one of the best EQs out there. // 9

GE-7 Equalizer Reviewed by: GuitarFreak1387, on january 14, 2009

Ease of Use: The lay out is simple. you have 7 bands of eq and a level. I don't think there is a way they could make it simpler. anyway this eq is simple to get close to the sound your after. just plug in, set all the sliders to the middle position and start sweeking. From left to right it goes from your bass freq. to you treb. freq., The manual from Boss gives you a few good setting for starting points. Like I said it's easy to set up and get to rocking. // 10

Sound: I use this Boss eq with my Jackson rr3 and Dean avalanche 7 string. and I have it going through my fx loop. The settings I'm useing are just slightly moved from center in the bass and mids to get a different sound thand what I use on my amp. I have tweeked the setting a lot and have never noticed any noise. I guess you might get some noise if you crank certant freq. I mainly use it with my 7 string to get more "thump". // 9

Reliability & Durability: Its a Boss pedal, what is there to say? IF you have played Boss pedals befor you know they are known for durability and reliability. I have seen many other Boss pedals that looked like they were at the bottom of the titanic and had spounges growing on them and they still worked fine. Iv owned a few Boss pedals over the years and I know why I stick with them, they are just awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: Over all this pedal does it's job and does that job well. I think of it as another channel on my amp. I can't think of how many times befor I got this that I would be by my amp to tweek the settings to get the sound that seemed fit. I play rock and metal and mainly play lead. I have gone to music shops befor and messed around with all the Boss pedals on dissplay so I had a good understanding on how to get this pedal to do what I wanted it to. no questions were needed. I love that it can Switch from one sound to another with just a stomp acting like another channel on a amp. I hate that it's brown... light brown at that. well there is only one feature so I guess that's it lol. I compared this to a few other eqs, a DOD 7 band, and a MXR 6 band, I just liked the Boss better. It would be nice to a few more bands of eq I mean MXR has 10bands why not Boss compacts? A new color would also be nice. // 9

GE-7 Equalizer Reviewed by: ShaneCallaghan, on may 30, 2011

Price paid: € 100

Purchased from: Reynolds Music Letterkenny

Ease of Use: It's as simple as breathing to use, its 7 sliders to adjust your tone and a volume slider to adjust a potential boost or cut in volume and a footswitch to activate it. The manual is foolproof and dead easy to use. I have to write more in this field to accomodate (I think I have written that incorrectly) the lack of characters in this field. // 9

Sound: I've noticed that this thing is noisy as any other pedal I have (including the Behringer feedbacker), but you can get it modded by some guys on ebay, or just buy one from them, and they are miles quieter. I don't know if it's true bypass or not but I've heard it isn't so don't quote me on that. When you step on this thing, you know it's on, it completely alters your sound and if you don't have a noise suppressor you will know about it when you stop playin. You can get a nice scooped sound out of this for that thrashy metal sound and instead of buying Kerry Kings signature KFK Q-zone you can buy this, I think it'd do pretty much the same job. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As with all Boss pedals, this thing is built to last so I would use it without a backup. I apparently have to type more characters into this field so I can complete this review. Ah, feck, now I have to type 79 more friggin letters. Since when did this start happening anyways... // 10

Overall Impression: I use this to change the sound of my distortion for a boost during a solo or I scoop it for some serious metal chug, but I do use this with an NS-2 so I can rely on it to keep everything quiet. If it were stolen, I would get another one, but I would give the MXR 6 band eq a shot, just to see what it's like and if it wasn't as good, I'd buy a modded version of the GE-7 to quiten the thing down. What I like about this pedal is when I'm at practice and we start playing "Born As Ghosts" by RATM, this thing hits the cut radio sound perfectly. It just makes it sound more authentic. I wish it had a built in noise gate to compensate for the noise. // 9

GE-7 Equalizer Reviewed by: the dean97, on february 08, 2012

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use after a bit of tweaking. It took me maybe an hour to completely understand the operation of the pedal. Its got 7 bands of E.Q which make it versatile but easy to use, which is a major plus when you need to shape up a certain tone fairly quickly. However one slip on the slider and you could end up sounding terrible, the sliders are pretty sensitive. // 10

Sound: The setup I use with this pedal is an LTD V 401DX through an MXR Badass Overdrive then my Blackstar HT5 Head with this in the loop. Basically stated this can make your setup sound entirely different once you start it up. I typically boost the mids on my pedal, then flatten the sound with my amp, then scoop the mids with the pedal. It can sound a bit digitally at times but 9 times out of 10 its because the highest frequency is a little bit to hight up, or your amp blows [line 6, cube, most digital or solid states... Basically the amps used by every other reviewer]. My favorite part about this pedal is the ability to get a very thunderous sound from it but still have a great crunch to it as well, but a word to the wise is to only use it the effects loop because it is nearly impossible to get a satisfactory tone when fronting an amp with this. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is a pretty tough pedal. I haven't gigged with it but its traveled to a few friends houses and back with out blowing up so I guess that makes it good enough to gig with. Ok well I need a bunch more characters in this part so um uh well... [whistle whistle] // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this pedal is that it is a great E.Q for making an ok tone into a great tone... Or atleast not that much worse. My tone before was kind of flat and crunchless like a ran over gummy bear but with this I am able to get a livley tone. Oh yea and the volume slider can compress your tone a bit so I boost it a little bit to imprve my tone. // 10

GE-7 Equalizer Reviewed by: terribleguitar, on june 25, 2012

Purchased from: Dynatone

Ease of Use: The features of this great little box are simple, so it's extremely easy to use. There are 7 bands that boost or cut frequencies: 100, 200, 400, 800, 1.6k, 3.2k, 6.4k, and a single volume level band. All bands are able to cut or boost up to 15dB. Sliders on this pedal are quite responsive and easy to read even in low-light conditions. This pedal came with a manual, which you can use to start tweaking it, but the pedal's layout is so intuitive that I don't need a manual to use it. // 9

Sound: I use this EQ in front of tube Vox AC4TV (which has very limited tone-shaping with a single tone control) with a Fender Strat. This pedal works great with my setup, it really brings a whole new pallette of sounds. It can get a bit noisy if you boost a lot of frquencies, but it's not as noisy as some reviewers claim. It can be also used with an Overdrive pedal for making an unique voice. For example, I use my Soldano Supercharger GTO Overdrive with this EQ, and when I boost the mids and cut most of the lows I get a tight sound suitable for modern metal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is built like a tank. Boss pedals have always been known for their reliability and this one is not exception. It's nearly indestructible. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall it's a great EQ for a great price. I compared it to a MXR M-109 and in my opinion, this pedal is much better, because it has more features and the sound and responsiveness is just as good. It can bring life to any rig, and turn a good sound into a great sound. // 9

GE-7 Equalizer Reviewed by: Maidenheadsteve, on may 12, 2014

Purchased from: Music Go Round Natick

Ease of Use: It's pretty easy to get a good sound; a manual might be necessary to explain what each slider does and the general frequency each controls, but it honestly is an easy layout to discover and learn just by messing around, assuming you know what each frequency sounds like. From left to right, it controls lows to highs, with level being the last slider. First 2 are lows, middle 3 are mids (from what I can tell, its low mids, mids, upper mids), second to last 2 are highs, and the last is level. It's like having an extended, more specific version of a 3 band EQ of an amp, but in a pedal. So the concept is simple too. // 8

Sound: I am using the Boss GE-7 with my Peavey Valveking 212 and my Kramer Striker. I use it for a Dave Murray solo tone because my neck pickup (hot rails) doesn't match with the bridge (Dimebucker). It does the trick as far as tonal change goes. But when you increase the level (I do this to get more gain on the lead channel), it's noisy as hell. This applies to both clean and lead channels, either in front of the amp (I primarily use it this way) or in the loop. If it weren't for the noise factor, this pedal can get a great variety of sounds for multiple genres. For an example, I like adding a mid boost to my Big Muff Pi to have it cut through a bit more. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss pedal, so it will survive any bump you can think of. It will withstand live playing and being dinged up in general. The pipes in the ceiling of my basement recently cracked, and the pedal was soaked. Still works, so it will even survive water damage despite being an electrical appliance. Also, I bought it used, so it survived both my bumps and the bumps of the previous owner. I do not think I would need a backup for this pedal, just like any other Boss pedal. It is an indestructible tank. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal matches with any style. I wish I knew about the amount of noise this pedal produces. Because of this, I may not buy it again, and might be selling it soon for a tube screamer type pedal or an MXR 10-Band EQ to suit my needs for a more controlled gain boost. I picked this over the MXR 6-Band EQ (it lacked a level slider) and Danelectro Fish And Chips (I perceived it was not durable). I ultimately picked it because it did well providing tonal change and balancing my pickup tones, is durable, and was at a cheap price. // 7

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ GT-100 Amp Effects Processor 7.9 Guitar Effects 07/07/2014