GP-20 Amp Factory Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 06/29/2006 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: GP-20 Amp Factory
The GP-20 Amp Factory offers a variety of incredible COSM Guitar Amp models designed for live performance or recording -- 22 in all. Thanks to its simple knob-based controls and ability to model the best amps ever made, the brilliant GP-20 is a tonal monster for live or studio applications.
 Ease of Use: 8
 7.5
 8.8
 6.2
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
GP-20 Amp Factory Reviewed by: imalefty, on june 29, 2006

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Ease of Use: This thing is easy to use for the most part. If you don't know what tone you prefer, or if you just want to explore some other sounds, then this is a great little box to have. With a memory/manual, and on/off pedal; it can control 3 different tones. I didn't get a book for it, but I figured out everything pretty fast. // 8

Sound: Most of the 11 sound models sound really good. And with a variation on all of them, and 6 speaker cabinent simulators, you can get a serious range of tones. I use it with a Johnson and an Ibanez and get a little noise with high distortion, but the range of tones you get is well worth it to me. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've kicked this thing, and thrown it at the wall, and hit it with my guitar, and it just sits there and laughs. The only thing to worry about are the knobs getting kicked. They seem to move pretty easily. However, being able to memorize a tone can keep you from ever needing to mess with the knobs. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing metal, punk and classical music for 3 years, the last 2 years with this pedal. You won't quite get the deep metal sound out of it, but I love plugging this thing in when I need to. It saves space and can simplify your whole effects line. I use it a lot as just an amp head, plugged into my PA system, and it gives me the range in tone I need to switch songs. If you've got money to spare, you could always get the whole guitar workstation, but with a limited budget. I would recommend this before any other pedal. // 9

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ CH-1 Super Chorus 8.3 Guitar Effects 04/03/2014