GT-5 Guitar Effects Processor Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 12/21/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: GT-5 Guitar Effects Processor
The Boss GT-5 is the first pedal board style Guitar Multi Effects Processor to incorporate Composite Object Sound Modeling (COSM).This technology allows the GT-5 to emulate several of the worlds most popular guitar amps and speaker cabinets.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Ease of Use: 8
 7.7
 8.7
 6.6
reviews (3) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
GT-5 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: SammyInnit, on may 21, 2007

Ease of Use: The unit overall is fairly easy to use providing you read the instructions that come with the unit or your knowledge of acheiving a nice sound is a lot better then somone Who is new to the game. If you are not familiar with products like this I suggest you read the instructions it comes with before you start pressing buttons. Editing, creating, storing, moving and writing patches couldnt be simpler (provided you know what to do, like I mentioned above). You have the option to select the effect, if it is on/off or what effect preset you would like to use. As for switching between patches, it comes with use presets and factory presets, can't remember off the top of my head, but well in the hundreds all together. In each bank you get the choice of switching between 5 patches on the board. You can easily scroll through each bank, either using the 'B' Switch, then selecting on the board (1-5) if you have a group of banks, this makes it really easy when gigging, or you can use the 'scroll knob' which will move through every patch, one after the other. // 8

Sound: I've used it with an Epiphone ES-335 and an Epiphone Firebird (and a few others, but these are my preffered guitars) along with a Marshall MG100HDFX and TSL100. On the GT-5 there is a 'Pre-Amp' and 'Speaker Simulation' option which can be turned on either by patch or globally. If these are on, you will find it will kill your amps tone instantly, so I always have these off on every patch I use. With these off and just using the patches for their effects (which include a lot of the more popular Boss effects, and some others (whammy is one that I found that I've not seen in a Boss stomp)) the effects Shine through without killing your amps tone. And when you are using a tube amp, this is a crutial must, that you turn these two options off. there's not actually a unit 'bypass', there is a Tuner/Bypass mode, but this just kills the sound from the outputs, so the unit is most deffinatly not having 'true' bypass. But if you construct a patch with no effects on what'so ever and store it as a preset, it will go directly to your amp without the unit effecting your signal. You can still of course use the built in wah pedal to control the signal volume if you wish. This is somthing I find very useful when not using a stand alone controll. The effects really do Shine through, and there are a good few on there. Chorus, delay, flanger, not to mention the Wah Controlled Whammy effect, and a moddeled Boss SYB-5 patch on the Unit. But they may not be as clear if you are using an amp with a high gain setting/tone (Metal level of gain). // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've used it a few times at different gigs, and it's still yet to fail me. I've had it about 3 years now, and I baught it second hand when I got it, and it had no problems before I baught it, and it has none now. Only a few scratches on the unit, but that expected of all floor units. One worry I do have tho, is the wah pedal is plastic, and those with a 'heavyer handed' way of using floor units, over time this could result in damage to the pedal, but as I said, I'm still yet to find a fault with it, and I'm not exactly 'light footed'. I've never thought about taking a backup with me to any gigs. // 10

Overall Impression: This unit is great for the effects it comes with. As I've been in the game a lot longer now then what I had the unit, I have a tendancy to buy stomp-boxes, and individual effect units now, simply because you can customise them a lot more then you can a floor unit (mods for example), and you can mix and match them and turn on or off effects when you please, as apposed to moving through patches of different presets. And the signal effect itself is a lot more customisable with stomp units, and you can mix and match a lot easyer, and you're not constricted to using only effect designs from the Boss brand. But, if you're looking for somthing space saving, somthing to play around with or easy to take to gigs with you or just practice with, I really would suggest you get this. It's also great for beginners (provided they read the instructions) as it offeres a lot of different sounds that maybe only somone who is professionally gigging or performing may be able to afford via individual units. I'm glad I baught it, and I still use it from time to time now, even along with my stomp effects, and I use a variaty of other wah's in the units effects loop. // 9

GT-5 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: jhymadesh, on october 18, 2010

Price paid: € 120

Purchased from: www.marktplaats.nl

Ease of Use: Don't listen to reviews like "bla bla bla not easy of use, took me two months!"! seriusly guys I'm a boy of 15 years old and this is my first multiepedal. It just took me one single hour to program some groups and change some presets. However I used to have an Boss DS-2 and a Behringer hell babe Wah pedal. So I had some experience with making my own sounds. But if you just read the manual one time ( http://www.roland.co.uk/assets/media/pdf/GT-5_OM.pdf ) it is really easy of use. However it takes some experience. // 8

Sound: I have an Dean custom guitar and I play it through a Orange Crush 10. I can't judge the sound becouse you really can create it for yourself. You can adjust the presets through some menus and change your gain, eq etc. I use a reverb all the time and it really sounds awesome. But of course the only way to see if you like the sound is to GO TRY IT YOURSELF! Down under is a list of all the effects there are. But there are different settings of course! // 7

Reliability & Durability: Guys lets be honest. It is a Boss pedal. are you kidding me? this thing is solid metal. you have to throw a dosin of cars on it before it would crak! there is no noise, delay and tikking sounds between changing of sound even your delay continues your last note if you want to! I use this as main pedal and I woudnt even think of a backup! // 9

Overall Impression: I play everything, everything. I play jazz, blues, funk, rock and even metal (like Iron Maiden). You can get every sound of it! However it takes some time to find and add the sound you like. I made a bank for every style and some banks for some different songs. This pedal has midi in and out but it would be very handy if it would have had USB to connect it to your computer but you can also buy a MIDI to JACK. I did and it was no problem! So overal. If you don't have enough budget for buying a Boss GT-10 go look online ore in your neighboorhood if anyone is selling his! // 9

GT-5 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: pebbles123, on december 21, 2013

Purchased from: Fleabay

Ease of Use: This is tricky, it was not hard for me but I have heavy experience with mfx and single pedals, although I did read the manual a couple times to get the hang of the little things it does diff from others units... No clue on the firmware or programs floating around, really, if you know how to set up the tone in your mind and what each parameter does, then its easy as pie! Really! I know my stuff! If you can get it for cheap, GET IT! It really has no comparison, although its quite old, the way the did it, just makes it so alive! // 8

Sound: Ok, I decided to write this review for the lack of info on this pedal online. I am using this with a couple Fender Blackface tube amps, a Marsall JCM 800, a Super Lead and a Vibrochamp Blackface. The sound is AMAZING its really really good, I own a pedalboard full of vintage and boutique effects and I haven't touched it since I got the GT5! It's really an 8 because compared to today emulation of effects, this is king, and those are really boring and flat. I think like always, Boss got it right the first time and then went ahead and messed it up! (6-8-10 all sound dull to me). I am in no way a pro but I do take pride in knowing that tone comes from fingers, but with a little imagination this box can offer anything you ask of it...! It does need specific twiks from amp to amp, but overall if you have the sound in your mind, this can get it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's great, made in 1995 and still good as new, not even scratched! The dial is a bit jumpy but its really no hassle. Made like a tank and I'm sure it will outlive me, I only hope the dial will come around with a little cleaning! The switches work flawlessly and the wah needed adjustment but it was all, easily done! I really don't think I would ever need a backup for this one, maybe an od and a delay on the gigbag just in case worst come to worst. Love this old blue box! Johnny Marr tone all day long! // 9

Overall Impression: I play everything, from the smiths with sig Johnny Marr Jaguar to Slash with a Gibson Les Paul and this bad boy can get you all e little quirks needed toget those tones! From chorus to compression to overdrive to rock n roll. It shines! Its really amazing the tones you can cope with this pedalboard! Johnny Marr was a fan of it in its time! And used it heavily on tour! Good enough for him, good enough for me, beck recorded a full album with it and to get the exact same tones live, he used the exact same set up! Sweet! // 10

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ GT-100 Amp Effects Processor 7.9 Guitar Effects 07/07/2014