GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 01/14/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor
Double your power with Boss' new GT-8 floor-based mega processor. Loaded with twin Cosm modeling engines, it brings unprecedented performance and tonal control to the stage and studio.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.6
 Ease of Use: 8
 8.6
 8.1
reviews (26) pictures (3) 79 comments vote for this gear:
GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 13, 2006

Ease of Use: Getting a good sound out of the GT-8 can take some time. The unit has several different settings that can be changed for each effect and amp sim that it could make your head spin. If you have the time to sit down and tweak the settings you can get great sounds pumping from your amp. The manual is a great help in changing settings and is very detailed. Skim through a few pages and you'll be jaming in no time. // 8

Sound: Here is my setup. Guitars: Ibanez RG270DX, Ibanez RGT42DXFM, Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Amp: Randall RG200G3. Effects: Boss GT-8, Dunlop MXR Dime Distortion, Boss Metal Zone, Dunlop Crybaby Wah. From my guitar I plug into the Crybaby and then into the input of the GT-8. The Metal Zone and Dime Distortion plug into the effects loop of the GT-8. The GT-8 is pluged into the return of the Randall amp's effects loop. The only effects that sound weak to me are the metal zone distortion, sitar sim, and the acoustic sim. The noise gait is also kinda poor but does it's job. The amp sims don't sound exactly the same when played next to the real thing, but they still sound great. This may bother some people but for me it just means creating an even more unique sound. All in all the sound of this unit is great, it's not as good as the rack gear that the "pros" use but for it's price it's unbeatable. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This unit could withstand an atomic blast and rock the crowd the same night. It's almost indestructable. It's build solid with a metal casing. The expresion pedal can take a pounding forever and the 5 floor pedals look like they would withstand some heavy punishment. // 10

Overall Impression: For the music I play (metal, hard rock, classic rock, and blues) this unit works great. I have to use a few extra stompboxes in the FX loop for the distortion that I'm looking for but I would never get rid of this unit. // 9

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 15, 2005

Purchased from: Music Retailer Outside The US

Ease of Use: Being a first time user of a multi effects proccessor wif amp modelling capbalities, I feel the Boss GT-8 is very easy to use. Unpacking for the first time, immediately I can get the feel of the pedal and start making some preferred tones on it straight away. This ease of adjusting makes this a very user friendly pedal. Although making presets is easy naming then can be a drag since you have to use a dial to look for each letters and spaces. That's probably the only downside to it. // 8

Sound: With the Cosm amp modellings in this pedal, getting a very versatile range of tones is very easy. Given all the different types of distortion as well and other multi effects there is a broad spectrum of music styles I can play with. Anything from Paul Gilbert to Good Charlotte to Slipknot, this pedal can give you the desired sound and tone. One thing I'm very impressed is I can get the unique fuzzy tone by Tom DeLonge of Blink in their new album. This pedal does not compromise in the quality of sound. After all, it's a Boss. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The GT-8 is built solid like a rock. It's an excellent gigging tool and hasn't failed me once. // 10

Overall Impression: Playing all sorts of styles (blues, country, rock, jazz, classical, neo classical, metal, thrash) this pedal really helps my playing a lot. I can easily switch from playing something like 'GIrl From Panama' and move on straight to Cradle Of Filth. The transition is really smooth. Although I've started guitar only about 6 months, I've tried a lot of single unit pedals which maybe too bulky to gig with and thats why I've decided to get the GT-8. I love this pedal a lot. If it was lost I would kill the guy who stole it or at least buy anotehr one. For those who decide to convert from single unit pedals to compact ones, this is worth trying out. // 10

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: LaroldC, on february 21, 2007

Ease of Use: It's got a whole bunch of really usable patches ready to go right out of the box, which is good because, as all Boss owners will testify, there are more variables and parameter settings to play with than the average Joe would ever want to have to tweak. The user guide is fairly forthcoming, but it reads as if the author wanted to get through it rather than to inform us. But it does get the point across, despite a few typos. // 7

Sound: I exclusively play a standard Strat, using mostly the 2nd and 4th (out of phase) pickup selector positions, through a Peavey Classic 50/212. With the Peavey's ultra-clean sound at higher volumes, the modeled effects of the GT-8 can really be exploited, once you tame the EQ for each patch. It's best to leave your amp set flat and use the GT-8's EQ, as it makes for repeatable sound from gig to gig (and keeps your sound guy from slapping you). Some of the hotter patches are noisy, but you can find other ones that get the same crunch and scream without as much noise, or you can simply choose another amp model and/or tweak the EQ for the patch. You can come very close to Eric Clapton, George Benson, and even Joe Satriani. I find that the sitar sound is pretty pathetic, but most of the other patches are quite believable. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far, so good. No hardware breakage, but then I have not had it that long. As far as the electronics go, I would imagine that they will Live long, barring spilled beer and giant magnets. // 8

Overall Impression: I play in a Portuguese rock band (yes, they exist) but we do a lot of American and British classic covers, basically album-accurate, so I need realistic modeling, which this unit provides. And since the ethnic tunes are mostly on clean patches, they have to be clarion sparkly, which this processor excels at, with shimmering chorus, delay, and flanging. But I run in mono, so some of the bigger, stereo-panned patches are wasted. I returned a Vox ToneLab when I heard the Boss GT-8. I would definitely replace this unit if stolen or lost (as soon as I got out of cardiac ICU). // 10

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: numbchild, on march 17, 2007

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: After reading a lot of reviews I was very surprised to find how easy it was to get a good sound! A lot of the presets sounded very dull with my set up but there were a few that really sounded awesome. Starting a new patch is simple and as long as you're like me and enjoy fiddling about with sounds then you'll be able to get whatever sound you like out of it. Although I wouldn't advise it for beginners, you have to have some basic knowledge about guitar sounds and amp settings to be able to get started. It's really simple to both write new patches and edit the existing ones to create some amazing tones. The manual is alright. Although it can be a bit complex and hard to follow, but if your confused just go to the forums on www.bossgtcentral.com and you'll get all the help you need there. All in all it's just a lot of fun to create really great sounds. // 9

Sound: Cort M500 -> GT-8 -> DigiTech Whammy (in the FX loop of the GT-8) -> 2 sub CTL pedals -> Marshall MG250DFX. I have yet to find a sound, tone or effect of an artist that I can't accurately replicate, with sufficient amounts of tweaking. With the touch of a pedal I can go from clean funk tones through to the likes of killswitch engage and bring me the horizon. Occasionally on very high gain setting there can be some background noise, but all you need to do is turn up the noise suppressor and no more fizz. The tones you can get from the GT-8 really is excellent, even if your not great at writing a patch from scratch with the use of a relatively cheap midi to usb cable you can download patches from sites like bossgtcentral.com. The sounds are, obviously with a unit of this type, what your after and this provides amazing versatility in sound and great control. Everything I think I could need. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's solid metal and nice and heavy, all in all a very reliable, and definitely durable piece of kit. The only thing that I would consider getting a back up for is the power supply as a stomp in the wrong pace could be fatal. I would definitely gig without backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything, blues to Death Metal, and the gt8 can do them all. Literally a tap of a Switch and you can go from rich clean tones to distorted heavy metal riffing in seconds. it really could suit any style. I've been playing for over seven years. This is the first multi effects board I've bought and I really did my research on it and all the competition, it's really an amazing piece of kit that suits me down to the ground. For a while I was considering the POD XT, which I decided against as the version with foot peddles it is a lot more money and also the distortions seemed very 'fizzy' I also considered the Zoom G9 which looks really nice, but honestly I'm not sure if it was much more than the shell that attracted me. The GT-8 shone above the competition with outstanding reviews, the amount it can do and the amazing sounds that can be accessed. I love the versatility of it. The amount of effects and ability to assign anything from effects to amp channels on switches, the exp pedal or just how hard you pick. I really can't stress how much I love this bit of kit. It's just amazing. I would definitely get another one if it were stolen. I will be backing up my patches too soon using a midi cable so if it were, I'd still have all my tones saved. I was very lucky to get it off eBay from a seller who wouldn't mail it, so that really reduced the number of bidders. To get it for 140 was really an amazing deal. The day before picking up I went into my local guitar store and had a play on one and just as soon as I'd played trough two patches I could tell it was for me. It's just perfect. Overall it is an amazing piece of equipment that, for me at least, is everything I need for home use, recording and most importantly on stage! However it could use a usb port. That's about it though! // 10

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: Deviant1853, on january 14, 2008

Ease of Use: First of all I'd like to just list the main features. Dual COSM Amp engine allows two different amp types to be assigned to the two channels. This might sound a little 'gimmicky' but to be honest it's one of the best features of the GT-8. You can mix 2 amp models in to a single patch. So they can be mono mixed, or stereo mixed, or Pick attack mixed (basically it blends depending how loud you play) it's a very nice feature. 200 stunning preset patches and 140 user patches; 44 effects categories, up to 13 simultaneous FX blocks. The presets are 'okay' personally I feel they sound a little flat and don't do the GT-8 any justice, however they do show the whole range of styles that's possible with this Machine (which is pretty much anything you want). The effects are numerous but I'll get on to those a lil later. User configurable effect chain; any effect can be assigned in any order in the signal path. This is very clever, and I haven't seen this on any other setup similar to the GT-8. Essentially if you want to move the Wah pedal to before the distortion or after, then you can change the order to what ever you like. Independent Assignable External Effects loop section for inserting external pedals any where in the signal path. Pretty much standard allows you to stick any other pedals you might have in the loop, or you can use the 4 cable method to link it up to your amp assuming your amp has an External Effects Loop. Solo Switch on the COSM amp section for instant lead tones. It's a nice idea, basically gives you a little gain boost so you can stand out abit more on your lead sound. Amp Control Jack for switching external guitar amp channels is what it says you can control your amps channel (assuming it has a simple 2 channel Switch input). 24 bit converters and coaxial SPDIF digital output for high-resolution direct recording applications. Very useful if you want to do proper digital recordings of your guitar. I use it when doing final recordings of songs so we can seperate the 2 guitars from another and mix them seperatly. As for the whole Ease of Use, the result of the whole plethera of effects, amp mixing, leveling, triggers and such it can be a pain to work with. The learning curve is pretty steep. The presets are okay, though as I mentioned before they can sound a little flat and lifeless. You will need to sit around and read the manual, which is huge. Now it might sound I'm on a downer about the GT-8, and it's true it isnt that easy to use at the beginning. However once you get used to it the GT-8 is a beast. There's a whole range of amazing tones you can get out of it, and once you know what your doing getting a good sound is fairly simple. Editing patches again can be a problem because of the sheer complexity of the whole system. There is so much to edit that I can easily spend an hour just setting up a new patch. However this is when you are working with the GT-8 on it's own. I would STRONGLY recommend buying a MIDI adapter, (I picked up a M-Audio UNO from amazon for 17~). When you have the MIDI Adapter you can go to http://www.bossgtcentral.com/ and get hold of the GT-8 Editor. You can edit all the functions of the GT-8 on the computer in realtime, makes creating your own patches much easier. I mentioned before that the manual is huge. The manual I find is brilliant, it gives you precise information about every aspect of the GT-8. Every effect is explained, and all their parameters. Boss did a very good job in this aspect. Overall I'd give 7 for ease of use. Mainly because the learning curve was a little too steep for me, the redeeming factor is the manual is great. // 7

Sound: My Setup is I use an Ibanex AWD83 to the GT-8 then from the Mono output to my Boss RC-20XL Loop Station strait in to my Vox 30 Valvetronix instrument input. For recording I skip the Loop station and the amp and use the Coaxial SPDIF output to my PC for digital recording. I never notice any noise when playing through my amp, but I think that's because it has a built in noise gate. When recording I found a slight hiss and it was only a 2 second change on the GT-8 noise gate and it was solved, so I can't complain about noise. I bought this for my 21st birthday. I wanted to try and emulate Adam Jones's tone from Tool. I didn't really get it perfect, close, but you can ask any Tool fan and it's notoriously difficult to dial in. But I also wanted to work on my own sound and tone, and the GT-8 is just built for that. You can change 'every' aspect about the tone, I can't think of anything it is missing. Personally I love the amp mixing, you get some amazing and lively tones from blending 2 contrasting amps together. I also like the compressor, it's supprisingly good and helps sustain to no end. My least favourite effect. You know I've sat here flipping through the manual trying to think what I don't like. It's tough because in the right situation they are brilliant, it's only when you use these effects in the wrong place it would be 'bad' so to speak. Maybe the Auto Riff, not my sort of thing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this thing now for 6 month, nothing has gone wrong with it once. I can't imagine anything going wrong with it. I have dropped it thrown it about abit there's not a scratch there. It goes with me to every practise session gets dragged along and works perfectly every time. I can and do gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal/progressive and as I've said before the GT-8 can do everything. As long as you know what your after you can dial it in. I'm particularly impressed with the cleans, they sparkle. Other reviews said they don't sound great (this might be true on a high end tube amp, but for my needs it's impressive). I researched quite a lot before I bought this. For me at the time 200 was a lot to spend on what is basically a fancy extra. But I decided if I were to invest in an effects rig I wanted one that could do everything I want to do now, and everything I might want to do over the next 5 years. I feel this has so much head room for other styles and driving my sound in to diffrent areas. It has totally met and exceeded my expectations. If I lost this I would certainly get another. I have come to depend on it, it shapes and defines my tone. Luckly I have all my patches backed up so if I did loose it I could get another and load them all back. I love the amp mixing and the fact that it drives my small 30 watt combo. The only thing I hate is that it weighs a bomb. It is heavy and our practise room is on the 3rd floor and the last month the elevator is broke. It wasn't fun carrying that up 3 flights. I was looking at the GT-6, and to be honest that would have done everything I wanted. I'm glad I didn't get it. The dual COSM amps is the main thing I love, I can't imagine not having them. I wouldn't mind a built in Looping Station, would have saved me an extra 150 on my RC20-XL, but hey that isn't what this is for. Overall I use it for practising in the house with headphones so I don't have to setup my amp. I use it for band practise every week. I use it for gigs. I use it for recording. It does everything I wanted and more. It has so many effects I can't think of a single one I feel it's missing. I'd recommend it to anyone Who is looking for an effects processor that is versatile, this is for you. // 10

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 13, 2005

Ease of Use: If you have used any multi-effects kits by Boss, it's the same as before, to Pick up from the start creating new patches can be a nightmare simply because there is soo much variation, taking a preset patch and editing it has a massive range of diversity. My brother who has no idea about the GT-8 can even get some good sounds out of it, therefore proving its not to hard to use. // 8

Sound: What can I say, just about everything in a box, you choose the sound. Loaded with twin Cosm modeling engines, it brings unprecedented performance and tonal control to the stage and studio. The Dual Cosm amp section provides two discrete amp channels; you can layer and manipulate each engine independently to create wildly expressive sounds. Thanks to the Solo Switch function, ripping lead sounds can be immediately activated ? perfect for cutting through the mix. Boss' mega-popular GT-6 was a smash hit with guitarists, now the GT-8 is destined to become the go-to box for gigging and recording guitarists alike. Forty four effects categories are built into the GT-8. Up to 13 effects can be used simultaneously to create complex textures and routings. All of your basic effects and much more are covered ? compressors, reverbs, choruses, EQs, Cosm -modeled wahs, and much more. There are 200 preset patches built into the GT-8, plus 140 user patches for storing your custom amp/effects creations. As a special bonus, there's a selection of synth waves and instrument simulations onboard, including sitar, plus acoustic simulators and an acoustic processor. From subtle to sizzling, where will you take your tone? // 10

Reliability & Durability: Boss built, virtually unbreakable. // 10

Overall Impression: The FX-1 and FX-2 switching has now been sorted so the previous problem was sorted. The whole concept of dynamic changing is superb, just by strumming/picking a little harder can change your amp type or effects. The processor is faster then the ancestor GT-6. I can't see what can be improved on this piece of godliness. It's just everything you need. // 10

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 07, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: Considering I've used the Previous GT-5 and 6 I already had the knowledge on how this beast works, but a quick skim through the manual get the basic covered, and I only mean the basics, the more advanced stuff this box ca deliver are not exactly covered inside the book so either digging through the settings yourself or by using another source will usually be advised. If your buying a new GT-8 then it probably won't need upgrading but I had to tok me a little while as there is a fault with the upgrading if you mess it up. All thats needed is a little time to spend with the initial getting used to it. // 9

Sound: I've got and standard Fender Strat, Ibanez Jem, Universe and a K7 running through the GT-8 with a second expression pedal in the external section, all running into a mode 4 Marshall, and the tone is perfect, everything I need from Floyd to Pantera is there you just gotta find it. The effects are top notch never failed me, every parameter you need to adjust is there. But the synth could be improved sightly (not that youd need it really). // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's Boss, solid as a rock, never failed me yet. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal set is the tits, if you get the chance try it, and you will fall in love with it and eventually own one, it saves money on all the singles you could get and different preamp settings change everything youve ever played before. // 10

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: corp769, on september 10, 2007

Purchased from: Local Japanese Shop

Ease of Use: Not for your typical beginner with effects units, the Boss GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor is one mean Machine. To me, the ease of use is very simple, yet I have a lot of experience with the previous editions as the GT-6 and the GT-4. It is pretty much the same effects and distortions of the other models, except more has been added to it, such as the Solo channel, and the best feauture added, the ability to have more effects engaged at the same time. Overall, the ease of use is the same as the other models except with more to work with. // 9

Sound: Usually, the sound of an effects unit like this is not the best. However, the GT-8 rocks out more than its predecessors. The average effects, like chorus, delay, flanger, phaser, etc., are still top notch. Don't expect too much of the noise supressor unless you turn down your gain on the pre-amp, or you will still get noticable hiss and slight hum. Overall sound tho, I give a 9 because when I pump the distortion from my Crate GTX65 a la the four cable method, it still sounds incredible, even after adding a million effects into it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is made of pure metal. I have stepped on it and tripped over it already, spilled a few beers on it, and it still works in top notch condition. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I have dropped it once from a 8 foot drop, and not a single dent. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall of the Boss GT-8 effects unit, it was well worth the money. I take this bad boy everywhere I go, even to my gigs and practices. If you are looking for a good effects unit that basically does it all, and a rugged one at most, this beast is the best way to go. // 10

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 24, 2007

Ease of Use: Alright my first review but that's how good the Boss GT-8 is to use. I am blown away by it's capabilities and sound. I just have to tell you about it. As a Live performing artist I have waffled between pedals and other guitar effects processors in the past. Like a lot of Guitarist I followed the path of Pedals and Tube amps. There are 2 camps out there Tone Analog guys and Digital Guys, well I've been to both camps and nothing compares to the Boss GT-8! I hate tweaking pedal knobs for hours to get the right tone. The GT-8 has amazing presets, I bought the GT-8 and used it Live the first 2 hours I had it! Editing is so simple the manual is straight forward. I love tone and flexibility it's like having 20 pedals set up. You can use a midi cable to a midi PC sound card and even down load patches. It is professional grade equipment. I've had the Line 6 POD XT and used it Live I always felt that other pro guitarist didn't really respect it. Not true with the GT-8 it is a pro Tool. Rugged but don't throw it around like a pedal it has processor, memory and integrated circuits. It is has hundreds of options with the latest pedals. // 10

Sound: I can get close to latest sound of any Artist out there. I've heard some complaints about the distortion on the GT-8 what? I thought they are superb, you can do Death Metal to rock and the GT-8 has a distortion effect called Drop D very evil sounding. My setup is Fender Hotrod deluxe 12" speaker I mike it up and run the GT-8 though the amp. The key fro great sound as a guitarist is always a great amp. The warm tubes with the GT-8 just blow me and those Who hear it away. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far so good, yes no backup necesaary. think Boss needs to provide the editing software that they provide with the GT-8 pro edition. Currently you have to find freeware to download others guitarist patches/effects. That's just dumb on the manufactures part they already developed the software for the Pro why not bundle it with the GT-8 and but a dent in the Line 6 POD XT. // 10

Overall Impression: Contemporary worship and praise, rock. Perfect match there are a lot of effects I use from Chorus, delays, echo's, distortions roto's vibes etc. If stolen I could never lose it I'd replace it in a heart beat. I love the flexibility the most. I think Boss needs to provide the editing software that they provide with the GT-8 pro edition. Currently you have to find freeware to download others guitarist patches/effects. That's just dumb on the manufactures part they already developed the software for the Pro why not bundle it with the GT-8 and but a dent in the Line 6 POD XT. // 10

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 21, 2007

Ease of Use: The GT-8 is extremely deep and it quite simple to edit, but it is not as simple to get the sound. Because it works very similarly to pedals, it's easy to get a lackluster sound out of it. However, provided you have the time to edit it's patches you can get almost any sound you can (or not) think of. Once you have your patches set it is amazingly easy and pleasing to use. It can switch your amps channels and set it differently on each patch, which is extremely convinient as it ends any tap dancing. Also, depending on your amp it will be a little tricky to get it to sound just right as it will have to be set differently. Also, you may need to make yourself a special cable just for channel switching as some amps do not like the GT-8's system and will produce unbearable hum. This is easy dealt with my removing the ground (sleeve) wire on one of the ends of the cable. // 8

Sound: My current rig is as follows: Boss EQ (GE-7) -> Original Crybaby Wah -> Boss GT-8 -> Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head (V2) -> Boss GT-8 -> Amp again. I use 7 string guitars with EMG pickups or Bareknuckle Warpig pickups. The sound in this unit is amazing, almost all effects are great, with the exception of Pedal Bend and the synths which are a little sterile but still very usable. The pre-amps are a mixed bag, not all of them will sound amazing right out of the bat and although they are not as accurate as the POD XT Live's pre-amps, they are very usable and can get you a little variety. You can always use your amps Pre-Amp (in my case I have it on all the time). The OD/Distortion Stompboxes are excellent, especially the TS-9, OD-1, DS-1 and MT-2 models which are pretty darn accurate. The integration with the rest of my rig was superb, no complaints at all (after I have it set up as I need it). // 9

Reliability & Durability: Looks almost indestructible, would definetly use it without a backup. The power adapter also looks pretty sturdy and reliable, although I would carry a backup for that one as I have had bad experiences with power adapaters before. The stomp pedals have a nice feel and don't look like they'll break off easily and so is the expression pedal which is a sturdy chunk'o'metal. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal with touches of progressive metal and instrumental rock (a-la Satriani) and this unit is the perfect match for me. It solved my tap dancing problems and it provided all the sounds I need. I wish it had an extra switching device so I could also toggle the solo boost through the unit but that can easily be done through the amp's footswitch. I used to have a Zoom unit and this unit totally smokes that unit. // 9

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 22, 2005

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

Ease of Use: This is my first really complexe pedal, the next best thing is my Marshall's foot switch. At first I had a browse through the book, which is really crap. It dosen't show half the information a newbie needs. Then went ahead with turning it on. At first it seems like a Rubix Cube, so much is possible and it takes a good hour reading the book sitting next to the pedal to get used to some of its fantastic effects. I spent a good 3 hours getting used to the general use of it. You have to move the patches to where you want them, don't worry though theres a reset if you want it back to its default configeration. Its a 4 when you get going with it. // 8

Sound: I'm using a Hotrailed Fender Telecaster through the pedal into a Marshall MG250. I'm not using the effects loop which because I'm a student and therefore poor. Unlike the ME50, when you hear the effects, they dont sound manufactured if you understand. They sound real! which is awesome. There is a slight hum if you use single coils with the compressor but it's easy turned off. The effects can be controlled using the volume on the guitar which takes some getting used to. Theres some effects which will make you wonder why and some that'll blow you away. It's all about experimenting. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well I hear good things but I've only had it a few days so can't really comment. 5 'cause it looks like a tank. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm into old rock and generally anything goes except ska and that crap jazz. And it'll suit whatever you want, from deep clean picking to extreme metal, it has a turbo setting if you wanna go crazy. I've been playing for over three years and at grade 4 so I'm not shabby. Before buying this product I woulda asked for its size and if theirs a bag avilible, its huge and I'm carrying it in a suitcase. It's near a foot and a half long. If it were stolen I hear you ask? I'd hire the finest bounty hunters around and id bring serious harm to the sucker who nicked it. It's priceless. I love its ability to do anything, it can do MIDI to which is great, I dislike its overall size and the instruction manual. It really is terrible. I love the funk sounds and every patch between 83-79. I wish it had a talkbox feature, it would complete it and a guy there to explain how it worked. I highly recommend this pedal. // 10

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: Cardioclash, on december 11, 2006

Purchased from: Feedback

Ease of Use: The Boss GT8 has a great ease of use. The manual is really good and it makes clear what every knob or button does. Sometimes it gets a bit confusing because there is so much you can edit, but overall the ease of use is fine. Getting a good sound out of it is real easy. The preset patches themselves are fine, and tweaking them gets an even better sound. // 9

Sound: I'm using it with my Epiphone Les Paul and a Marshall MG30. It sounds great! The effects are real great, but some of the Overdrive sounds aren't superb, but most of them are. I play all different kinds of music: Metallica, Muse, Jimi Hendrix, The Vines, etc. I can get all of them out of this Machine. In fact there's even a preset for my favourite song, Foxy Lady. When creating new patches I usually start from scratch and I've created some real good sounds. Recently I've created the most beautiful clean sound I've ever heard, but when pushing the ctl-switch it changes to one of the darkest metal sounds. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't tortured my Boss GT-8 much, but it looks like an elephant could sit on it without breaking it. I use it on a gig without a backup because I trust on it completely. It is made of steel, and the pedals are made of plastic. It has a very 'robust' feeling. // 10

Overall Impression: As I wrote before, the Boss GT-8 matches almost all styles of music. From the darkest Doom Metal to real funky tunes. I've been playing for over a year, and I think this was a good purchase 'cause I will still be using this in 20 years. I love almost all effects, especially the reverb and delay. These are awesome! The GT-8 is loaded with features, some of them I'll never use but it's great that they're in there. Some of the overdrive/distortion sound a bit 'plastic', but most of them are just fine. It also has a guitar synth in it, but I think this is some 'toy' to make it sell more, because it might have been a bit more comprehensive. The harmonizer, octaver and pitch shifter are some of my favourite features, just as the pedal bend, which gives an 'outer space'-sound. If it were stolen, I would be very angry and contact Boss Corp to complain about the fatc there is no GPS-tracking device in it! I compared it to several other multieffects but I found this one to be the best. // 8

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2007

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

Ease of Use: It's very easy to change the different sounds. The unit has a number of knobs and switches that are easily adjusted. You can change the different parameters of each effect by touching a button and rotating the jog wheel. Granted, you may need to read the book and play with it for a few hours before you "get it." The manual is very comprehensive and tells you what everything does, but you still have to explore the unit. // 9

Sound: My set up is a Peavey Bandit 112, a Gibson Les Paul, or the Les Paul played through headphones. This thing isn't too noisy and it sounds great. I think that the distortion could be a little clearer, but maybe I just haven't found it yet. This unit is a litle bassy too, but it isn't a big problem, and I believe I will be able to fix that too with some more tweaking. I can get just about any sound I want out of this thing from Metallica to Lynyrd Skynyrd, it sounds great clean. I really like the reverb and teh chorus suonds too. The accoustic sound isn't bad either, but it isn't perfect. The amp models on this thing aren't spot on, bt they are close. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank. It weights like 15 pounds and feels very rugged. I wouldn't worry about this thing breaking if you take care of it. It costs way to much to throw around so just take care of your equipment and I believe it is gigable without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play metal, rock, and contemporay accoustic. I use this thing at school with headphones with my lespaul and I think it works great. I have used digiteck pedals like this, but this thing is very rugged. I would want another one if this one was lost, or taken. I highly reccomend this, I've been playing for 3 1/2 years and I am a good intermediate player. It works great, you just got to play with it and get it to do what you want. // 9

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 22, 2007

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: Right off the bat it's definitely not the easiest unit to use. Yes you can plug it in and just jam with its factory presets and get some cool sounds but these do get boring quite soon. Creating your own patches is a long winded process and can result in mega frustration. The manual is pretty simple and no where near detailed enough but there is some fantastic information on the internet about the pedal. // 4

Sound: You can get some fantastic sounds out of this bad boy. It is the most versitile floor based multi effects processor on the market. It functions great as a stomp box style rig whereby you can set up endless amounts of stomp boxes and order them however you wish in the "effects chain" setup in the pedal. I.e. I could have my guitar going as follows: wah - flanger - overdrive - preamp - delay. Or if I wanted I could mix these around into any configuration. Basically I could go on all day about this pedal it is so versatile and has so many features. It sounds unbelievable when recording directly out of the pedal using mike and speaker simulators built into the pedal. It is great for artist emulation as you can pretty much research there rigs and try and emulate this using the pedal. Getting an exact match is never going to be easy but you can definitely get close. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It hasn't failed me yet, obviously you can't treat it like you would a stomp box but that aside it is quite sturdy and heavy for that matter. I would gig without a backup but then again I'm a bit of a risky kind of guy. You wouldn't want to get any drinks spilt on this thing, in fact a few months ago I saw it happen to a guy at a local pub and the pedal died pretty soon after that. // 8

Overall Impression: This is fantastic for the type of music I play. It means I can get pretty much any stomp box style effect that I would have considered buyin for considerably less price. The wah's are mint, the overdrives rip and the amp simulators are amazing. I guess the only down side, and I suppose this goes for all multi effects pedals is that you can spend so much time fiddling with knobs that you don't get enough time to bust ya chops. It is definitely fun to learn about and experiment with all sorts of rigs (basically like having a music shop in your bedroom and you can try whatever you want in whatever arrangement). For home recording this thing is the goods. You can simulate a mesa head and a 5150 in stereo, put a few millisecond delay on one of them and get a really fat sound, or you can fire up the Fender Twin flick on ya neck Pick up and bust out some fat blues licks. It is a lot of work but it does pay of and it is quite fun really. All the classic tones are there, you just gotta have the patience to find them. Running it with an amp setup is can get bit tricky you hook it up in an effects loop, this does however allow you to bypass your amps preamp and use one of the GT-8's preamps in it's place (with the power-amp of your amp obviously). Anyone that does any home recording or that is looking at buying a few stomp boxes or a wah should consider one of these. // 8

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2007

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Ease of Use: I do a lot of research before I buy anything, because of my limited budget and hate of returning things, so I read up on this, read the manual in PDF forms several times through and decided on this over the PODxtLive or Tonelab SE. The POD may have super-user-friendly controls, but it's tones were just sub-par, very digital no matter how much fiddling I did on my friend's xtl. The tonelab sounded pretty good from the tubes, but it couldn't do convincing metal, which is my one true love, so it was out with that, plus it cost a whole lot more. It took me a while to set up the GT-8 with patches that I really liked, but being able to take a premade patch and copy-paste it, then tweak it until I really like it is very handy. After you get a good base, then you can branch out, playing around with different amps and effects. Editing is VERY deep, just about any parameter you can think of for a certain effect or amp has a control. The knobs are responsive, the clickwheel is usable and once you get used to the GT-8's "operating system" of sorts, editing is a breeze. The manual is technical, and kind of dry. The Line6 PODxtLive's manual had quite a bit of humor and was actually kind of fun to read, but this feels like a professional piece of equipment, and the manual lends itself to that. // 9

Sound: I use the Dean From Hell (Dimebag's Lightningbolt ML) into the GT-8, direct into my Epiphone Blues Custom 30. The combination of this powerful pedal with an all-tube amp is unbeatable. Any kind of distortion you want, you can get. Even without tubes, you can set the channels to dynamically Switch from say a clean to a crunch based on how hard you play. Cleans are pretty good, but anyone Who has played on tubes know digital will never beat the real thing; but that's what tube AMPS are for! Effects for the most part are top notch. Compressors work well, reverb sounds awesome, the modulation effects (phaser, flanger, u-vibe, etc.) sound good if you tweak them right. If not, they may digital-spaz out a bit (like clipping) and not sound real. Distortion pedal models are ok, I'd rather just use the amp models and get a richer sound, but the Tubescreamer sounds good, so does the RAT. SO, with considerable tweaking, you can get ANY sound you could ever want out of this pedal, regardless of which artist or band you listen to. I have patches for Killswitch Engage, Godsmack, B.B. King, John Mayer, Switchfoot, and many, many more (around 150). // 10

Reliability & Durability: Just recently this thing got seriously broken in, and I will probably never buy another brand other than Boss again. I was loading my gear in my truck after a show, I set the GT-8 on the tailgate, and somehow it got knocked off while I was putting my amp in the bed. It fell 4 feet to concrete, face down. The only damage was 2 nicks on the corners, and one knob had a little bit of scratch on it. That's it, this thing is a tank, pure and simple. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything, but metal always comes first. The Boss GT-8 can do anything I want, and I can get any sound I could ever want out of it, and I'm still learning and finding new things today. I've been playing for about a year and a half, and I am getting ready to release an album with my band: www.myspace.com/relinquishthehatredband. The only gear I use on the album is my Dean From Hell, the GT-8, and the Epiphone Blues Custom. If the GT-8 was stolen or lost, I would most definitely buy another one, but I would bang my head against the wall because I'd have to program all my patches again, but that's just me being lazy. // 10

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: acdcrock2000, on august 18, 2007

Purchased from: Riffs

Ease of Use: The GT8 is an incredible piece of equipment. It has delays, reverbs, wahs, uni vibes, the whole shibang. The only thing I think this thing doesn't do is make me a cup of tea. This unit however is very confusing to use. I bought the 'Lick Library Ultimate Gear Guides' of ebay and that really helped. But still it's really hard to use. But once you sit down and have a fiddle and refer to the manual the first couple of times, you get the hang of it. // 6

Sound: I have a Epiphone Les Paul Standard that I run into the GT8 and then into a Marshall MG15CDR. I only have it on a low volume but I'm shure that if I wanted to use it with another amp on a high volume, it would be just as good if not better. I have some settings on here that have the signature tones of guitarists from Eddie Van Halen to Angus Young to Tommy Iommi. This thing rocks. The effects are great and my favourite ones are the wah and univibe. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I reckon I could drop it off of a cliff and then gig with it that same night. I think the only thing that would stop this thing is water. Not a good mix water and electricity. It's built like a rock and the pedals and switched are strong and can take a battering. // 9

Overall Impression: This thing is f--king awesome. The only drawback is that I would like a few more foot switches with it but that's not that inportant. What is cool is you can set itr up with your amp so that you can use your amps tone, but still use the effects of the GT8, How awesome is that. Anyways, that's all I have to say. If your serious about getting a multi FX pedal then this is the buy for you. // 9

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 18, 2007

Purchased from: Dawsons Music Store

Ease of Use: At first glance, the unit can be quite daunting. But after sitting down with it and have a tweak for a good few hours, yes it takes a while, you can start to get a good few tones from it. The manual is not very helpful to be honest. it's more of a brief guide showing how to operate the unit in a basic way. There are a few sites around that'll give you much more help dialling in a sound, such as bossgtcentral.com. Editing and creating the patches and sounds just takes patience. This really isnt the unit to buy if you want your own sound quickly. The preset sounds are useful, but they are just to demonstrate what you can get from the unit, I wouldn't use them straight. Possibly after tweaking, but never on their own. The real time knobs are useful changing certain parameters on the fly, useful if you need to tweak something small whilst your playing. // 7

Sound: I run an Epiphone G400 w/Seymour Duncan JB-4's, into Boss GT-8, into Line 6 112 Spider II 75 Watt Amp and on the first go, I didn't get the tone I shouldve been getting. There seems to be a clash of moddelling technologies. Modelling pedal into a modelling amp is a no no. So, I had to change the settings on the pedal to compensate, and now, I'm getting some good tones from it. First thing you really need to do is set the foundations of the pedal. make sure all your levels are right. This will stop clipping and give you a much better, less muddy, less harsh sound. You can pretty much get any sound you could ever want from this box. I can be noisy at times, when there are a few effects that amplify the gain etc, but this can generally be rectified using the EQ and changing the effects orders. I'd advise against using the noise suppressor as it really kills your sustain. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The unit is metal and could take some severe punishment on stage for sure. And the pedals themselves are solid, as with all Boss products. I doubt they could take the same amount of punishment as a stomp box, but theyd withstand a fair bit. It's a Boss product, they're built to last. It'll probably out live me! // 10

Overall Impression: Playing mostly progressive rock and rock, I needed a pedal that could give me a lot of effects and some solid distortions. The GT-8 gives me that and I couldnt be more pleased. Some complain about the preamps in the GT-8, but I think they're great. They might no be true to the real life amps, but they're pretty good, but you can always bypass the preamp and just use the effects! If it was stolen it would be rebought, unless Boss bring out the next one by then, then I'll be buying that one. I'm currently trying to track down a GT-3, as it can do certain things the GT-8 cant. This is due to design limitations and comprimises. The GT-6 was the same. So, it's not really a let down. // 9

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: lespaul90, on january 10, 2008

Ease of Use: This is probable the only flaw in the product. You have to take some time to get to know how to use it. Once you look over the manual, which is simple to understand, it is very easy and quick to edit patches. But since this is such a complex processor, it may take some time to get just the tone you are looking for. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've found many great new sounds by mistake with this thing. // 8

Sound: I'm using this with an Epiphone les paul to either my Marshall MG50DFX or I'm using two 15" jbl monitors through a 650w power amp. My Marshall is in my room for recording, and the jbl's are in the basement for jamming. Since this pedal board has an output select on it, Ican get great tone out of either. I set it to COMBO AMP for my Marshall, or line/phones for the monitors. The cosm preamps are great and the choice to have them either dual mono or dual l/r. is a great feature too. Every effect sounds amazing, you could easily spend thousands of dollars to get the same tone that you get out of this. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I could drop this off my roof and it wouldn't even leave a dent. This thing is built like a rock. Another thing I liked is the fact that the lower five pedals are lowered and protected from the knobs so that during a live performance you don't adjust you settings. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything from clean acoustic, to Satriani, to Zeppelin, to metal. This pedal does it all with authority! If your on the fence about this, jump off and run to guitar center and buy one! You wont be disappointed. I researched different pedals such as the DigiTech GNX4, The Line6 PODXT Live, and Podx3, this one was my hands down choice. // 10

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: druz15_UG, on april 01, 2008

Purchased from: NZ Rockshop

Ease of Use: I won't lie, it is definetly not easy to get a good sound with this unit, it takes a lot of tweaking both with the processor and the amp you are using. Read the manual, which is very good and explains everything, and you'll be sweet to start making some killer tones. Once you get the hang of it, editing patches is easy and you can have great, beautiful, crazy and weird sounds coming from your amp with the turn of a few knobs. Creating sounds from scratch is even more fun, as you can basically build any rig imagineable (except of course like a crazy 100 stompbox rig or something). // 8

Sound: I'm using an Epiphone LP100 and a Fender Custom Build Strat through this thing into a Crate GT212. If you setup a patch wrong, yes it can be noisy, but with a bit of tweaking of the noise supressor it's fine, but sometimes I like feedback and background buzz. All the effects sound great, provided you know what sound you want and you dial it in right, sometimes I just set the effect parameters to whatever and it sounds crazy, but in a good way. I can get the tones of John Frusciante, Foo Fighters, Muse and many more and I have made several patches that try and replicate the tones of these artists. They sound very alike, but getting a sound exactly like someone takes a lot of tweaking and stuff but it's worth it. The pre-amps sound exquisite and each has its own unique sound and use. 90% of the distortion pedal sims sound amazing but there are about three that I have not managed to get a good sound out of (mainly the metal zone one). The chorus reverbs and delays are alll amazing as are the wahs and all the other effects that come with it (except for the sitar sim as I have not tried it). // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is solid as, built like a tank. The only thing that has ever happened at a gig was when the plug got kicked out the back, but that was a fault of my own, I don't think this thing would break if it got knocked around but I wouldn't try it because it's such a beautiful and expensive piece of equipment. I do gig with it without a backup because I can't afford, nor do I need a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play lots of styles, including funk, alternative, pop, blues and hard rock. It is a great match but because of it's versatility it suits any style, but it's for people who want a wide array of sounds, not someone Who plays a bunch of song that all sound roughly the same. I've playing playing for nearly 9 years and I used to own a DigiTech Grunge pedal, a Dunlop crybaby wah, and a DigiTech RP50. The Grunge is not needed as distortion is covered by the gt8, the wah was not needed either, and in terms of multi-effects, the Boss kicks DigiTech's ass. If I lost it I'd have to buy a new one I can't live without it. I love the versatility and unique array of sounds you can get from it, I can can go from an 80's style Marshall stack with wah and stadium-style reverb, to a beautiful clean Fender Twin Reverb at the press of a pedal. I compared it to all the floor based multi-effects processors by DigiTech Zoom, Korg, Vox, and Line 6 and this one stood out by a mile in terms of sound and array of different things you can do with it. // 10

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: clow539, on december 03, 2008

Ease of Use: It's not really that easy to get a good sound of it, and I'll give it an eight because it's still pretty much easy to read the manual and mess with it until you have indeed found a good sound. If you're not much into tones, or even looking for patches on the internet, building new patches up from scratch, you'll take some time to get it. It's all about experimenting.. it just takes some time. // 8

Sound: I use a Tagima Memphis MG-130 and I took some time to get some cool Vai/Satch kinda sounds. Some of the wah's need a bit of tweaking until they get really good though. Most of it is pretty good.. there are so many effects that you'll end up thinking "damn, I'll never use all these effects", but you'll find something for it, eventually. Specially if you're into making music! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a tank. It has a hard metal casing and I've bumped it into the wall during transportation many times.. and I can't see a scratch. I always go with it on a gig without a backup! Haven't had any problem with it. Also, for the digital part, it is pretty reliable.. doesn't glitch or change patches etc. For no reason. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 2 years and a half and this is a good match to any playing style. It combines perfectly quality with easiness of use, because if you are going to play another song, you just change your patch. If it were stolen, I'd buy a new one, or two new ones, or three.. I basically can't Live without it anymore. I only give it a 9 because of the learning curve and the time you have to spend reading the manual if you really want to get great sounds off of it. // 9

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: AM_Nexus, on february 03, 2009

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: This processor is very comfortable to use, and to get a good sound. I heard many complains, like "it's so difficult to operate this thing". But I find it fery interesting and easy to get the sound, that I'm looking for. There is no discomfort in editing paches and giving them names) My GT-8 had a manual with it, but I almost haven't used it. // 10

Sound: I use GT-8 with my Music Man guitar and Ibanez amp. I prefer soft distortion sound(with lots of bass and middle), so some of my paches sound a little bit noisy, but that is my plan) On different setup, paches sounds can different, so I have a couple lead and solo sounds in store. It depends... I also like to use delay and wah pedal, that sounds great on GT-8. Control pedal is also a great option. I usually use it as a "solo" option or tuner, but it has many other alternatives. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I definitely can depend on it. I giged with this processor many times now, and it worked well. I don't need any backup, because I can get any sound, that I like out of it, and it's very comfortable to use. I think this processor will last long, because it's very relyable. // 10

Overall Impression: This proccesor is great. I, actually, didn't compared it with anything, but my previous processor Korg AX10G and my Boss DS-1 pedal. I like, how GT-8 sounds more. I also compared it with my friend's Zoom 707 processor, and my Boss "won" again) So I don't think, that I would change my Boss GT-8 it future. But, Who knows? // 10

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: alexcorreia, on may 24, 2010

Purchased from: DV24/7

Ease of Use: This unit is not too difficult to use but it can take a long time to achieve a sound you're happy with. The amount of time spent tweaking is the amount of time you won't be practicing guitar. The manual is quite good actually, it explain every thing in great detail. // 6

Sound: Ibanez S540b>Jim Dunlop Wah>GT-8>Marshall MG250 FX Loop This unit is a tone killer. There's a huge difference in the clean sound when I plug it straight to the amp or through GT8. It's the perfect unit if you want to learn about FX and are on a budget. If you're serious about gigging and rehearsing, skip this unit, when you turn the volume of your amp loud enough for rehearsing it becomes muddy and too digital and doesn't cut through, you'll be just adding noise to your band basically. Chords with any pre amp or distortion sound like mud, no matter what you do you naver get that clear and bright AC/DC guitar sound for instance. It's got a lot of different sound but they aren't very good or again, don't work in a band. When you play notes past the 1st string 12th fret you get this horrible unnatural oscillating sound that drives anyone insane. No matter what pre amp you use or distortion pedal it always does this. Imagine this in a gig, when the sound is really loud. I'm not saying this because I couldn't work it out or use it properly like some fans of this might be thinking while reading this. I could do anything I wanted with this unit and pretty quick too, but in the end, it's a digital unit trying to emulate very expensive FX pedals. Think about it, one Proco Rat costs 80, one Boss DD-7 costs 110, one Jim Dunlop Wah costs 60 and one decent reverb costs more than 70, with this example you can see that 4 pedals cost more than dozens of emulated ones, got it? I had this for 4 years until I joined a very pro band and the other guitarist was using pedals and a decent amp and no matter how I tweaked this unit I couldn't get the amazing sound he had. I'm a pedals guitarist now and I'm finally happy with my sound. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Never had any problems, it's built like a tank and lasted 4 years until I sold it. You could drop a bomb on unit and it wouldn't even scratch it. If it was good for gigging, I would use it without worrying about it failing. Construction is definitely the feature on this unit. // 7

Overall Impression: You just have to ask yourself what do you want this for. Gigging? No Rehearsing? No Just to play in your bedroom? Yes Impress your friends with it's crazy sounds? Yes Recording? No I once went to a Satriani workshop and also managed to convince me that FX units like this are a big NO if you're serious about the tone and clarity of your guitar. He must know what he's talking about, right? // 3

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: guitar_d, on april 07, 2011

Purchased from: musicians friend

Ease of Use: Well first off, I'll say I have a good tone that my band and I all really like. There is a secret! Scroll down to see the secret. But to get there took a lot of tweaking. You have to set up different settings depending on what you play out of. The variations are endless if you want to go that deep. Thankfully there are "ez sounds" that are already set up tones you can use. Be sure to read the manual carefully to discover how to really get the most out of this. You have to study it. ****MY BEST TONE DISCOVERY FOR THE GT-8*** is this: my guitar has very high output, so I was giving too HOT a signal to the GT-8 and everything was overdistorted and fizzy. You have to reduce the input signal. I lowered mine by 10 decibals and it sounds great now! Here's how you do it: press the system button, then press the right parameter button til you see it read SYS: Input level. Use the dial to cut the input level. Experiment with your guitar to see what works for you. My Gibson Les Paul with a 500T needed to be cut by 10 dB. Set the output select for line/phones and go with that. I also turn off the pre amps in the unit. My amp already has a pre amp working you know? The effects are all really good, just remember to ease off on the levels and be subtle. Cut your distortion gain very low and move up if needed to find a good tone. If you max it it's to fizzy. // 7

Sound: I use it through a clean set tube amp. It also sounds great through a p.a. I still think a modeling processor isn't quite as good as the real deal but close and the versatility is amazing. To get all the sounds in here individually would cost thousands and thousands of dollars. You can tweak your own individual sound. You can run two amps at once with different settings for a blend. It's cool. I thinks the amps sims have better distortion than the pedal sims. Digital units like this sometimes don't cut through in a band setting. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Very sturdy. Boss has a rep for being tough. No problems for me with any Boss gear in that respect. I've used this for gigging and never had a problem. I would use it without a backup. You can't use batteries with this. It has a power cord with a big transformer in the middle of it. // 10

Overall Impression: This unit can create endless tonal variations. There are several eq's you can use all over the place. Thankfully you can access the ez tone sound for all the effects and distortions etc. It took me a long time to adjust this how I like it, but if you want to take the time every aspect is variable. Just read the manual all the way through. I've been playing for almost 30 yrs. and the convenience is great for gigging. No more worrying about all these pedal cables and finding the bad cable, etc. I could also do without it cuz I also have a simple pedal board that is easy to use. // 8

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: metx, on june 22, 2012

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: The GT-8 has a bunch of effects and tones, but it's not easy to find a good tone, you can spend hours experimenting sets but at the end the bets way is using the defaults patches. And I think that some times is over fill of parameters. And this can be good, but when you have to look and fast and easy tone some times can take it a lot to get it. // 7

Sound: It's simple, if you have a low range solid state amp the gt8 is going to blow you mind. I used with and 15 watt create amp first and a maple guitar (body and neck) with Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge and a SJBJ-1 in the neck. I bought a Peavey 6505 then I started to use the 4 method cable, just to used it for effects and eq, but as soon I got my MXR 10 bands eq, the GT-8 become a factor that wreaks my sound, so I quit to gt8, I tries o lot of set ups but the gt8 ruined the nice tube sound of my amp. Well, the gt8 is excellent to people that is always experimenting with effects, but for people like me that likes a good nice a solid tone is not the best option. Gt8's tones are to mechanic, not natural. Distortions are unreal and noisy. You can get a lot of tones (is a good option for a cover band) but, always you are going to feel that something is missing, like artificial. // 5

Reliability & Durability: The GT-8 is a tank, its chassis and controls are tough. The GT-8 can be your plan b if something happen, this is not my main sound but for small gigs, practice is great. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great multieffects but like most of them it offers a bunch of tones but not a quality tones. // 7

GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor Reviewed by: hotrod2012, on january 14, 2013

Purchased from: online

Ease of Use: I found it confusing at first, but after playing with it for a while, its actually very easy to create and store sounds, Its just a very simple routine you have to get into and put in the time. I personally prefer to build each patch from scratch. I hate people trashing this great unit because the pre amps 'sound too digital' etc. I have been playing for over 30 years, used all sorts of equipment and can assure you if you take time to tweak the pre amp dials and use the EQ properly to shape your tone, you will get some pretty convincing sounds out of the GT-8 and will be rewarded greatly... Read on. // 10

Sound: I am using this a few different guitars mainly a PRS Custom 24, a Squier Vintage Modified 70's Strat and an Epiphone Les Paul (with Gibson 490R & 498T Pick ups. I have a few amps but this unit really shines when used with my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe on the clean channel with the Bright Switch engaged. I don't used the 4 cable method as my amps is super clean anyway and a great blank Canvas on which to work with so I go from the guitar to the GT-8 and out into the amp. I have got the thing set up with some 30 odd patches of my own so far but keep adding to it daily. I Have clean sounds which have the onboard pre amps disabled as my HOT Rod has a great glassy spanky clean tone. However this clean channel on my amp handles the Boss GT-8 very very well in all ways. Ironically I have the output on the GT-8 set to JC-120. With the pre amps engaged and properly EQ'd, I have some great sounds at my feet. Hetres some of what I have - A string of patches with the dirty boogie models, various delays and modulations on top, a whole bunch of 5150 patches with long analog delays and Phaser to get the EVH sound, a heap of crunchy Vintage Marshall sounds with univibe and analog delay for trippy swirly Hendrix sounds (great when you kick in the Wah too). The unit will sound different obviously depending on what amp you use and if you switch amps ou may need to re tweak eq a bit or experiment with different output types etc to match your amp or PA. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its tough, in true Boss tradition, this one will handle hard gigging but put it in a decent case and don't do stupid stuff like Pick up the power supply by the dc lead etc. I got a free Boss gig bag with mine which keeps the unit well protected. I would recommend using right angled jacks with it if you play in pubs with no stages where the pople dance very close to the stage, I have almost had my unit damaged by drunk punters on several occasions so I plan to build a small platform for it out of plywood just to keep it up from floor level. // 10

Overall Impression: I really like this unit a lot. With tweaking, and patience, it gives you a lot to work with live. The amp modelling is VERY convincing when properly set up, and the GT-8 is a very powerful tool to have - especially if you play in a covers band as I do where we play all styles of stuff like rock, pop, blues, jazz, country... I have been using a pedal board with stomp boxes for years mainly and decided to stick with the GT-8 and this is a much cleaner and easier set up. If you love your amp and want to use its Overdrive channels you can use the 4 cable method, it works very well too. I am very happy with a simple 2 cable method and my Fender hotrod amp. GT-8's can be had cheaply now and are a real bargain if you can get your hands on one. I owned mine from new since 2006 after they came out but only really just started to explore it on and off this last year or so. I wish the display was a bit larger I suppose but its not a big deal for me. // 10

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ GT-100 Amp Effects Processor 7.9 Guitar Effects 07/07/2014