HM-3 Hyper Metal Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 08/05/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: HM-3 Hyper Metal
The HM-3 is designed for greater gain and a more accurate dynamic response to produce a powerful, hard-edged sound with powerful sustain.
 Ease of Use: 9.3
 8.2
 9.2
 7.1
reviews (3) 15 comments vote for this gear:
HM-3 Hyper Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 23, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal is awesome when you know how to use it. There're only 4 knobs. There was a manual but I bought it used and the guy didn't have one, nobody should care. // 10

Sound: I warn you if you go buy it and plan to use it on a cheap amp I had it on my 20w Univox and it sounded like shit later on I tried it on my teacher's Fender amp and you could hear god through it you had the distortion a milimeter of the edge and it was already enough (Fenders are known for that). Now I curently own a Gibson '68 SG Custom, a guitar with alsort of parts on it and Carvin SX-100 from the early '90s with a BR12 speaker in it I can a get early Metallica's (Master Of Puppets, Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning) sound from it, Megadeth's, Iron Maiden's, allmost every sound you want even to the Misfits'. One thing bout' this shit is that you wont be able to get a sound that is bluesy, overdriveish and any thing that aint metal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: What can I say, it's a Boss. Like I said earlier I bought it second hand and I'm pretty sure that the guy that owned it before me giged with it, the paint's weared out at some places, dents all over but its still a jewel. All I know it's from the '80s (that's what I heard) so it had some milleage on it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play basically metal and thats about it, I've been playin over a year now and I'm pretty crazy at it too. I also own a Ibanez WH-10 for a wah and I use 1 of my 2 guitars, I have one with alsorts of parts (roughly 600 bucks of parts) and a '68 Gibson SG Custom they sound awesome. If it got stolen I wouldnt go to the more recent model (Metal Zone) they are similar but I preffer this ones sound you can get more of the '80s metal from it. I also compared it to the uber metal when this ones' distortion is 3/4 full you can get a close match. // 10

HM-3 Hyper Metal Reviewed by: DethbyChocolate, on october 05, 2010

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Ease of Use: I have had this pedal for some time now. Its very easy to use, with four knobs for level, color mix, and distortion. It sounds awful through a cheap amp, but played through a good stack or comb amp, you can get a quite tasty metal tone, so be careful before pegging at as a crappy pedal. // 8

Sound: This pedal is a double-edged sword. As mentioned before, it sounds like crap through a cheaper amp, but played through something of higher quality, you can sqeeze a pretty good metal tone, but don't expect anything other then metal. Thats pretty much all this thing was made for. It offers great distortion, and tone (for metal), and Ive managed to get an older Metallica/Megadeth sound out of it. But I wouldn't think of using this pedal alone for a good sound. When I first got it, I played it through a cheap Excell amp, and was a little discouraged, but played through my Peavy combo, with my Epiphone Explorer, my mind was changed. It'll take some playing with, but this pedal would be a good addition to any metal-head's pedalboard. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Its pretty durable, I've taken through hell and back between band practice, and stuff like that, but I wouldn't gig with it without a back up. As mentioned before, don't rely on this pedal alone for a good tone. It would work better as support for your other effect pedals. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal, and this pedal holds out pretty good. It has its pros, and cons, but its a pretty good addition to my gear collection. According to the internet, this pedal was only sold from 1993 to 1998. It was one of my first pedals, and after toying with it for a bit I've been able to get some pretty good sounds from it. I even played it through an acoustic-electric amp with decent results! But if you're wanting a bluesy, or rock sound, don't buy it. This pedal is strictly metal. // 9

HM-3 Hyper Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 05, 2011

Ease of Use: It is as simple to use as any other pedal, you just need to play with it a litle to get the punch you want. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Yamaha ERG 121C with Garageband 4 Amplification it isn't noici at all (unless at extremely high level or distortion) it sounds great, with a lot of punch I can get from Metallica to 3 Doors Down with it. Not the best pedal in the world but it's very good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's made from metal I wouldn't stomp on it but I think I'll last and I'll use it with no back up on a gig. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal and it matches my stile perfectly, I've been playing for some months. If it was stolen I would get it back as soon as I can. I love the punch I can get out of that little thing I think it has anything a metal pedal need 2 have. // 10

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ CH-1 Super Chorus 8.3 Guitar Effects 04/03/2014