ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 04/12/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects
This thing is efficient and extremely easy to use, especially since you can organize all of your sound library on the computer as well.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 Ease of Use: 8.6
 8.6
 8.7
 8.4
reviews (15) pictures (2) 74 comments vote for this gear:
ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 21, 2010

Purchased from: Amazon.com

Ease of Use: The way they have setup the interface on this one is very well done and simple, it took me about 20 minutes to figure it out, if ur really stuck just look at the manual trust me, the people who designed this knew what they were doing, but I do wish that they had made three seperate knobs to control the AMP MODELS instead (HI, MID, LO). But overall this thing is efficient and extremely easy to use, especially since you can organize all of ur sound library on the computer as well. You can even save patches oon the computewr, and btw you can hav a total of 120 patches sinces you hav 60 normal patches and 60 in ur sound library as well! // 9

Sound: When I first got this I was sceptical, I mean I wasn't exactly expecting to get amazing quality effects just some decent ones, that I could make do with until I could afford enough single pedals, but I've got to admit this pedal sounds fantastic, the Overdrive and distortion channels sound amazing, the wahwah is extremely effective and the chorus is great sounding as well, it is just fantastic, simple and sweet. Overall the effects are very very full sounding and don't sound too digital by any means. The superstack feature is especially great. I tend to use the compression alot as well, weith it I can easily nail the under the bridge tone that I was looking for! Overall all the effects are extremely versatile and easily good sounding. the distortions and overdrives are a little harder to get good, but if use the superstack button and equalize through the preamp you can get unbelievable sound! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a tank, its not cheap plastic its metal and it will last! If I were to start gigging I would use this since it sounds like its older brother (the me-70) and even better sometimes, also I can plug this thing directly into a pa and also record with a usb cable, so I wouldn't even really need my amp either! // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play a lot of different songsa by artists but my favorit band of all time is RHCP, and they use ALOT of effects, this pedal is great for nailing their sound both tonewise and effectwise. If this pedal was stolen I would buy it again, overall this pedal is amazing! // 9

ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: makutoid, on march 31, 2011

Purchased from: PMT

Ease of Use: It's easy to use, don't get me wrong. It's just horribly impractical for playing live. With 2 selector pedals, up and down, its a pain in the ?#@ to jump between effects. At least with the ME-20 (it's predecesor) you could be confident that 3 effects patches were right in front of you at any one time. This is just a pain, as you can't jump from patch 1 to patch 3, without going through patch 2. Even worse when I wanted to go from 3 to 7, but let's not go there. Editing the patches themselves is pretty easy, but still not as practical as the ME-20. With only 1 control knob dedicated to tone, it's much more difficult than it should be to find a good EQ for distortion - or anything for that matter. Plugging it into the computer has to be a good thing, but again, does NOTHING if you're using it live. In reality, it's a studio toy, definitely NOT something to use live. // 6

Sound: Admittedly there are some good effects on this one. Once you take the time to find a good EQ and Drive mix on distortion channels you can get one hell of a punch out of it. Same with clean channels, once you get the EQ then you're pretty much set to go. The problem is, it's just not that special. It's not bad, but you don't plug it in and think "wow this thing's incredible!", you just sort of get on with it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: If I'm completely honest, I have used this live a number of times, but only with my Acoustic as an EQ pedal. That way I knew I didn't have to change effects and knew I could just leave it alone and trust it to do one thing properly. But hey, that's what analog pedals are for.. ;) It is reliable and isn't going to break for a long time, but that's safe to say with any Boss pedals really. I'm not going to lie about this, if my ME-20 wasn't already plugged in with it, I'd have it within an arms reach to use as a back up and just hope that the 25 broke. I'm not against it as such, I'm just disappointed that it was marketted and labelled as if it was an upgrade when in reality, it serves no live purpose whatsoever. // 8

Overall Impression: Sorry to slate the good reviews, but I really wasn't impressed. At all. After using the ME-20 for 2 years (playing live) and loving it, I was quite excited when we bought the 25. I'd heard there were more features so I was looking forward to trying them out. Man I was disappointed. It just doesn't do it for me. If you're looking to have an effects unit in a studio for recording where you're only doing a channel with one effect at a time, it's damn near perfect for that. Just don't expect it to be that good live. I know I keep comparing it to the ME-20, but that thing was so much better than this. Boss should definitely NOT have took that off the market and replaced it with this disappointment. Market it alongside, sure, but don't try to pretend it's better. BOSS = You're not fooling anyone. // 5

ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: EPPX, on october 03, 2011

Price paid: C$ 250

Purchased from: Long & Mequades

Ease of Use: This Product is very good with sounds. There is a large array of Default sounds from clean, clean metal, distortions, crunch, flangers etc. I found a sound almost immediately and just tweaked a few things hear and there and got the sound I wanted. Editing patches is simple. I did not use the Manual at all for this product. Editing the patch is as simple as press 2 buttons at the same time and turning the knobs you want to change. I did take a quick look at the manual for one thing I wanted to look for and it was not in there, I had to search it on Youtube to find the answer. My unit has been upgraded. It comes with a program for you computer where you can input new sounds or output sounds you don't want. In that program you can also organize the sounds in the order you want them. This program is really cool and helpful an I highly recommend this product. // 9

Sound: For this product I use both my Ibanez guitars (ART100, SA260FM) they sounds great with all the patches. The Effects are great all of them can be used and all of them are bright and full. Although, I did notice that some of the clean patches had distortion on it which, if you ask me defeats the purpose of CLEAN. But, small adjustments and they were good to go. The first patch I tweaked I believe was #12. I just added a little distortion and Drive and it sounds almost identical to Trivium, the sound on the "In Waves" Album. I have arrange all of the patches so I can't say which number they were but I only use 2 distortions and 1 clean, but I have another clean with a little more delay just incase. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This Product I can depend on 100% I have been using it everyday since day 1 and its still running strong. The effect pedal is strong and durable. All the buttons and knobs are securely in place and without a doubt I step on them hard and fast and they are still at 100%. I have not used it live yet, but I would use it and I would not bring a back-up but, saying the least, I would strongly suggest that you get the AC adaptor rather than using batteries. On that note, I used this product with batteries and it lasted almost a week playing it for 6+ hours a day. // 9

Overall Impression: I mainly play metal and there are a lot of metal patch some with high gain and some with low gain and more crunch. This product is very versatile and can be used for any genre of music. I have been playing this for about 2 months and I love it, I have not looked back to my Pandora PX4D box since. If this was stolen I would probably get the ME-70 just because it pretty much the same thing and then some. I only got the ME-25 cause I needed a new foot switch multi-effect pedal and the price was right. My favorite feature is the effects pedal, you can use it for Volume (which is what I use mainly) or you can use +1 Octave or -1 octave and a Wah pedal. I did compare it to other product, I wish I went for the Line 6 POD HD-500 but I couldn't afford it then and some time soon I will go out and get the HD-500 but will still use the ME-25. // 8

ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 25, 2011

Price paid: C$ 200

Purchased from: Steve's Music Mtl

Ease of Use: Can't get a multi-effect that's easier to use. I thought I would need to use the open source software "ME edit" to do everything, but it's really no brainer once you know where to go. It's really not a complicated machine. // 10

Sound: This pedal has some great features, like the 38 second looper, and the 'freeze' function, as well as the dotted eighth tap delay to get that U2 sound. Pitch bender (think U2- "Even better than real thing" intro) is fun, but not necessary. The chorus on this unit destroys the chorus on my POD XT. The noise limiter is somewhat weak. The Wah is a plastic toy, mostly useless. The biggest weakness in my opinion is the distortions. My Pod XT makes way better distortions. I can't get a good crunch sound, and I've tried for hours. So I put it in front of my Crate tube amp and it works great. It really fills out the sound of my amp, but I gotta get the crunch from the amp. Overall, I like the base clean sound a lot, and I use the bundled 'Cakewalk' program with it. It doesn't do everything well, but I gotta keep it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal replaces my Roland GP-8 (same company) that I bought used 20 years ago. It's still running fine. And I wasn't nice to it. This one is a Solid Metal casing, everything seems ready to take a beating. // 10

Overall Impression: If I lost it I would probably Switch to a pod unit, but then I would really miss the chorus and the looper. Don't forget that you get a pretty decent software with this think. And for $10 I downloaded 'session drummer 2' to use with it. Great little home studio. I wish I had known that the distortions were so, um, well, digital. // 9

ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: Rowl3y, on april 12, 2012

Purchased from: Music Store

Ease of Use: Making good patches with ME-25 is as simple as breathing. I think it takes 1 hour to learn to use it on a master level. It has only a two digit 7-segment display, but thanks to the designers it is enough, and it doesn't complicate issues but makes editing easier! // 10

Sound: My fav setup has Clean or Twin Preamp and MetalCore distortion effect with lots of gain and the EQ is set to cut out mids. This patch is awesome for Hi Gain Mesa Boogie-like metal sounds and it can beat the naturality of analog (not tube) technology. I use similar patch for soloing, I just add some mid, and a bit short delay (about 300-400 msec) and sometimes I use Wah effect or the insane, amazing Harmonizer. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it, it is made of heavy material. It won't let you down, made to last, and can be used on stage. The display is red and visitable well in total darkness and in light as well. The expression pedal is big enough, comfortable and moves easily, not as easily as Crybaby, but in Volume and Octave Bend mode it would cause problems if the pedal got out of position by little effects. // 10

Overall Impression: This effect has everything what you need, all of the greatest effects containing Harmonizer, Octave Bend, 3 layered, 38 second phrase loop, Freeze, Short, long and tap delay, wah-wah, etc. There is only one problem: there are no banks, the patches are in a linear row, and you can only have an UP and a DOWN button two switch between them. This can be a huge problem on stage for guys using lots of sounds within one song. I recommend it for you if you use only 2 or 3 patches within one song and you don't have enough money for an analog effect-loop. If you meet this requirements this effect will serve you well. // 9

ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: asianguitarguy, on june 29, 2010

Purchased from: Shreveport Music Company

Ease of Use: Boss definitely made this easy to use. It took me only about an hour to figure out. You can save 60 patches in the pedal. And if that's not enough for you, you can save them onto your computer via USB. You can probably figure it out by yourself. I tried reading the manual, but it wasn't really helpful for me. // 9

Sound: I use this with a Peavey Rage 258 amp, a Ibane RG, and a Squier Telecaster. Personally, I had no trouble with any excess noise. The effects were way better than I expected, and they put a lot of my individual stompboxes to shame. So far, I have been able to emulate the sounds of all the artists I have wanted to. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's a metal chassis, so it is very sturdy. I would have no worries playing without a backup. But please, buy the Boss PSA-20 adapter because the pedal runs on 6 AA batteries that won't last more than a week. // 10

Overall Impression: I mainly play hard rock music from the mid 70s through late 80s. I occasionally play alternative and punk rock. But I rarely do any modern stuff. I've been playing for about 4 years, but I have not really taken it seriously until about a year and a half ago. Other pedals I own are the Boss DS-1, Behringer Overdrive, and Dunlop Crybaby. If I lost this, I would buy another one because it is affordable and has great effects. One of my favorite features is the 38 second looper, which I use to practice my improvisation skills. // 10

ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: makutoid, on july 29, 2010

Purchased from: Professional Music Technologies

Ease of Use: After having a Boss ME-20 for 2 years, I had very high hopes for this one when I finally got to play around with it for a while. Upon looking at the thing I got pretty confused, and the instruction manual wasn't the most help either so I went with what I know best and just tried to use it. Surprisingly, once you work out what bit does what function, its incredibly easy to use. Editing the different sounds is pretty simple if you've got a good ear and can tell whether you need more or less tone etc. There's so much variety in the different sounds you can get, and somehow it doesn't get confusing! // 8

Sound: The first time I used this was through a Fender Frontman 100Watt amp with double 12inch speakers and playing a cheap Eastcoast Les Paul copy. The guitar wasn't exactly great as it was only intended to teach with, but the pedal did it's magic and made it sounds pretty good. It was quite noisy at first when I turned the distortion on but I think that was partly due to the guitar. All it took was the Noise Supression to be adjusted and it was fine, although that was quite confusing to adjust.... The effects are all pretty good, there's a massive range of distortions and combined with all the different preamp settings you can get literally every different sound you could ever want. The delays and reverbs are quite impressive too, plenty of range and lots of potential :) One of the little perks of this model has to be the phrase loop function. It's a weird feeling to play a riff once and then be able to listen back to it and play over the top for as long as you like, until you get bored. Then you can do it again with a different loop! Then there's the expression pedal, I still can't make the freeze setting work but the octave shifts are fantastic. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal seems pretty sturdy to me, although its lightweight it feels pretty tough and looks like it'll last a long time. For piece of mind I would consider a back up, but only an ME-20 as that's my all time favourite pedal of its kind. The expression pedal seems quite sound and feels strong enough to last a while, and the memory/solo pedals also feel pretty tough. // 8

Overall Impression: Playing modern rock stuff with this pedal seems a pretty good choice, the distortion range and clean sounds are all great, and can even be changed from my style to metal or classic, anything really. Honestly, it's a good little gadget but I wouldn't bother replacing it other than for the octave shift. I'd stick with my ME-20, but an octave pedal and possibly a loop if I really wanted one. It's not that there's anything wrong with the ME-25, just that some of the functions are a bit wasted on it, I'd say they're better suited to other pedals. The fact that you can only change effects by browsing through memory banks is a little bit awkward, if you want to go from effect number 1 to effect number 6 very quickly. That's one of the reasons I prefer something like the ME-20, you can group effects together very conveniently as you want to, the ME-25 isn't able to do that. Overall, it's not a bad product, I just don't think they should have replaced the ME-20 with it, maybe just add it to the product line as a downgrade. // 7

ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 31, 2010

Purchased from: dolphin music

Ease of Use: This pedal is unbelievably easy to use. It has a really clear instruction book and the buttons and footswitches are spaced out well. The manual tells you how to set it up, what each button and effect is, how to change and save different parameters of the effects and some of the extra functions. The built in tuner is very accurate and the display is simple and clear. The pedal comes with 6 buttons in the sound library: clean, crunch, drive, heavy, lead and extreme. The variation dial (10 way) can then be used to choose which sound you want. The pedal also comes with 60 effects ready to edit, but some of them only require minor tweaking or can just be left on their own. The super stack and solo buttons can then be pressed at any time to provide 480 sounds (correct if you work it out)once operating. It is easy to achieve the sound that you want because although something may sound different to how you want it at first, there is a large scope for change on the effects and noise suppression. My only critism here is that some of the distortions sound very similar so it is hard to choose which one you want. Also, some people may find it hard to edit without the manual at hand. After about a month though it should be a breeze to operate this. // 9

Sound: This pedal really does produce a great sound. I play everything from blues to rock through metal and there is such a variety of tones even to begin with. It has the superstack button which replicates a cab and makes the overall sound louder, 10 preamps, 10 overdrives/distortions, 8 modulations, 3 delay ranges and a tap delay, 4 pedal effects, 3 compressors and 2 reverbs. This might not sound like much but once you start turning the dials you discover thousands of combinations. 10 noise supressions also feature, ranging from none to very tight and cleaned up. With the actual amplifier set on clean and on a low volume setting, it is perfect for practice, but can be turned up and still sound great. Things that I wouldn't recommend doing are using a driven amp with a driven setting on the pedalboard. The hum is deafening. Also, two of the effects t-wah (wah related to picking intensity) and harmonist (creates a Harmony similar to that of twin guitars) aren't brilliant. The harmonist can only be used for single notes and it is quite hard to get it in the right key. The t-wah is interesting but doesn't beat the regular pedal wah. Aside from this the effects sound great, especially the chorus, compressor, both reverbs, 1-99ms delay and the modeled t-scream and 0d-1 overdrives. If anything surprised me it was how different the driven preamps are and how good the Wah can be (once edited to your style). I knew that the effects wouldn't be as good as the things they model, but having used a crybaby, the Wah impressed. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is such a rock. The chassis is metal with rubber feet, the pedal is thick three layered plastic on the heel with a rubber toe, and every other button is solidly shaped plastic. This is the sort of build quality you expect from a pedal, so that you don't have to keep taking another as a spare at gigs. // 10

Overall Impression: As I sort of mentioned before, this is a greatly versatile bit of kit that suits my needs and I am sure most other people's. I have been playing for 1 year and 2 months and I got this a month ago so that I could explore the sounds on offer from a guitar on a budget, and this has surpassed my expectations. My favourite feature would have be the pedal when it is in one of the octave modes. You can play anything and then dramatically raise or lower the pitch with your foot. It is great fun for warming and very useful because it prepares your foot for the Wah solos. I was looking at buying the DigiTech RP255 before this and I have to say that this is so much less fiddly and much easier to use. Also, because of the amount of buttons, you can navigate your way around the thing with your foot, reducing the amount that you have to stoop over it. It was stolen in the next three years I would buy another after I had killed the thief. If stolen or broken after then then I would upgrade to an ME-70 or maybe even a GT-10. The one thing that I hate is that when I practice in bare feet and slip off a footswitch, it practically pulls my toenail off. Apart from that it is a pretty nice pedal. Highly recommend for any playing style. // 10

ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 24, 2010

Price paid: C$ 160

Purchased from: Long&Mcquade

Ease of Use: I bought this pedal because it simple is awesome, my friend had also one of these, so one day, he let me try, and I liked it. It's really REALLY easy to use-- but you should have already a bit of experience setting EQs, otherwise, this pedal sounds like !##@. You can edit patches extremely easy, there are many effects you can choose from, and you become really natural at using it later, and the manual is great, has a lot of pictures, and is easy to understand. // 10

Sound: The sound is really good, I use a crappy Fender Squier Strat modified with a Seymour Duncan humbucker, APH-6? can't remember. I also use an OKAY not bad amp - Fender Frontman 15R -- it's an OKAY amp, don't buy it unless you are really broke though. The pedal can get very VERY Digital if you mess too much on the drive. And the effects are really good, and it has a wide viriaty of effects. I can get the sound of Slash from a strat, ridiculous but, with this thing, you can do it! The distortion is okay, it can totally range depending on your experience setting EQs, my friend for example, totally sucks at EQs and makes his pedal sound like !#$@!#. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Can I depend on it? -- Yeah, sure. Unless if you are gonna kick it or something, but can you get retarded enough to kick it? I wouldn't use it without a backup, I'd always get a backup just in case. Although it's solid as a tank, and it's really heavy ( for a pedal ) It still looks like it can break. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mainly metal, rock, and a lot of Guns and roses, and maybe some Scorpions, this pedal can do anything ( Again: Only if you know how to use EQs well ) I've been playing electric for 1 year and a half and Acoustic for one year, and I also own a Boss ML-2, I like combining the both of them, you can get really cool distortions, and more combinations, I also recommend having you to use it with overdrive, it makes it more natural. If it were stolen or lost, I would have simply killed the man who stole it, or just buy another one, whichever happens to come first. I love it's capability to copy amplifiers and effects, and I hate it's digital-ness, over some of the effects, like Harmony and maybe the wah. The Wah is very good at some points, but you need to mess for hours with those EQs =.= I think the me 70 would have been much better, but only the me 25 can record, so I guess they both contain their own good points. I wish it was easier switching between effects ( when you are using another pedal within it ) But that is all. Overall this pedal is great for starters and intermediate, for pros, i mean, what the hell? Go buy all the effects in single pedals and make yourself exhausted by carrying them. // 8

ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: methead696, on september 29, 2010

Ease of Use: It's simple to use and editing patches is also ok. The manual is pretty easy to follow. There is a video showing some additional tricks which are not mentioned in the manual. The usb driver that comes with the CD works pretty well when used as an audio interface. // 8

Sound: ESP EC-401 and a tube amp. Gets noisy at high gains but has a noise gate included. The stock high gain patches sound pretty bad. These can be edited to sound somewhat decent. The amp model Treble and Mids when kept between 30-40 make for some decent high gain sounds. The other effects like delay, chorus, Compressor are ok. Need to check how good will it be when an EQ pedal is included after the unit. It can be used as an audio interface. It would have been better if it was true bypass. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Can you depend on it? - The chassis is made out of metal so its quite sturdy. Would you use it on a gig without a backup? - It should be ok to use without a backup. It doesn't come with a power supply; its better to have one instead of using it on batteries. // 8

Overall Impression: I mostly play Thrash/Death metal stuff. I have been playing for around a year. If this was stolen/lost/broken, I would buy something else. This is good for beginners, just need to mess around a bit with the EQs. It should have been true bypass and should have had a feature allowing the preamp to be bypassed. // 7

ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2010

Purchased from: Local Store

Ease of Use: It took me around 20 minutes to figure out how this works, and once you get a hang of it, working with this pedal is a breeze. I didn't like all of the patches on it, however you can get really decent sounds with some tweaking. This pedal is simple to use and the Manual helps too. Factory presets are ok, but I do love some of the factory presets, overall great tone out of the box. // 8

Sound: I own a Laney Cub 10, All tube amp, and this thing sounds great with it, I do not use Amp modulation when playing with my Laney, It sounds really good, the effects are mostly usable, Sometimes I feel that the Overdrive tone had a little more punch, would have made it a lot better. Chorus, Flanger, Wah & Delay on this are lovely, T Screamer, Fuzz, OD and Metal Distortions are good, Acoustic Simulator effect is Awesome.. Overall I can get decent tones off it, but I do not depend on the factory patches, I make my own and I am pretty happy with the Tones I get off it, I use a Strat copy and this pedal makes it sound awesome, I also have a ESP EX 260 with SD SH4 pups, it sounds beautiful... In the preamp section I must say, it nails the Marshall Vintage and Modern tones, Dual Rectifier sounds are superb... // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is made of Metal, Rock Solid, Nothing on this pedal looks like it would fall apart, I am sure, it can hold onto a lot of abuse. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for the last 4 years, I play, Blues, Rock, Country, Metal (Sometimes) and it is just what I want, I get really great bluesy tones off it.I wish this thing had a Send / Return to add additional external pedals, however it wouldn't matter much, can be worked out (We Indians are about Workarounds, we somehow find a workaround, that becomes a permanent solution....LOL). That Black body of it looks super solid. I tried RP 355, 255, ME 70, and Vox TL SE, The RP stuff just wasn't for me, I must say the RP's have a lot of features, but I wanted good tone, which the RP's failed to deliver imo. Tonelab ST was great, but it didn't have a good Metal tone and had quiet a few limitations, ME 70 was awesome but was out of my budget. So I got the ME 25, I really like the Super Stack Option, It adds a tight bottom end to the overall tone giving it a Huge Stack like tone... Go for it, if you need a decent pedal with great tones. // 10

ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: tomthatisme, on april 14, 2011

Purchased from: PMT

Ease of Use: The 60 built in memory presets that came with it are actually really good and I've never had to properly overwrite them with my own sounds. I've only had to tweak the treble and gain to get my sound. It seems to have every music genre type sound you could need. To edit the sounds it is very easy and even though it came with an instruction manual, I've only used it to look up the effects list. There is additional software you can download for free where you can edit the patches on the computer but I don't have much need for it. // 10

Sound: Before I got this I was using a basic modelling amp and I got this only as an additional feature for that. But now I barely use my actual amp...I just plug this straight out into headphones or speakers. When I'm recording you can get a good sound by running it through and amp with no effects on, gives it a nice warm essence. The noise suppressor is very good and I hardly ever get any hiss. The effects are all very realistic especially the harmoniser which is just cool. In terms of other peoples sounds, it does that too. For a Muse type sound the fuzz is incredible. There is an intelligent harmoniser for a Queen type sound and the is even an Acoustic simulator! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Just by looking at you can tell its built like an absolute tank. In the middle of a song when I need to quickly change sound I often just kick the pedal for it to change and there is no damage what-so-ever, looks brand new. I would definitely use this without backup. Never let me down. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a range of music from quite heavy rock to a nice mild bluesy crunch and it always sounds perfect. I have been playing 5 years with a cheapy Jim Deacon strat copy which I shall soon be replacing with a nice tele. If it were stolen I would defiantly get one again. The model up (ME-70) is alot more expensive and there isn't a huge difference in them so there's not much point. I would buy this over any other multi fx pedal. Because Boss are the best. Not Line 6, they are rubbish. BOSS! // 10

ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: CWindow93, on april 15, 2011

Purchased from: Amazon.co.uk

Ease of Use: The device has a simple enough interface, and i was able to easily work my way through the pedal after reading the instruction manual and playing around with it for about 10 minutes. The pedal can be connected to a computer/laptop and by accessing the ME-25 librarian, and as a result, you can save custom patches to both the pedal and the computer, so if any changes are made, you can still easily get that specific setting back. The pedal can store up to 60 preset patches, and 60 sound library patches (by using the sound banks). The pedal is easy and simple enough to use, and if you are really stuck, the manual will really help you out. // 9

Sound: As the pedal can be used on a wide range of music styles, the sounds you can create are fantastic and versatile. The pedal makes use of a wide range of effects such as wah, distortion and compression, and the sounds made are amazing quality. I mainly play metal and rock, as well as some Indie and alternative music, and this pedal, especially the distortion, super stack and pre-amp settings allow me to get a great range of versatile tones. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The ME-25 is a very dependable piece of equipment, as it allows me to get any tone I need when playing my favorite songs. In a gigging situation, as it would be the main piece of equipment I would need a specific tone or effect. The pedal itself is extremely durable, as it has been made from high strength metal instead of a cheap plastic. As it can be plugged directly into a set of stereo speakers or a PA system during gigs, the need for an amplifier can be drastically reduced. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about 2 years and the pedal is a fantastic piece of equipment that matches the styles of music that I play, as from it you can access a versatile range of tones suitable for a wide range of genres. I am currently running the ME-25 through a Line 6 Spider Jam and a Epiphone SG-310. If this pedal was lost or stolen I would most definately replace it, as it is a high quality piece of equipment. My favourite feature is the ability to write your own patches to the pedal, which allows you to create a tone that is completely Original and unique. The only thing that I think should have been included with the pedal is the power adapter, so you don't have to constantly rely on batteries. // 9

ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: reversegenesis, on june 01, 2011

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: It sounds good right out of the box, almost all of the preloaded effects sound good without any editing and I've found most of them to be useful in one way or another. Editing patches is fairly simple, there is a section within each effect for modulation, delay, reverb etc with each effect having 3 parameters that can be modified. The manual is very clear, it also comes with a list of the preloaded patches and a single sheet quickstart guide but in all honesty if you've used multi effects units before this thing is a doddle to work with. I did have a little trouble getting it to work with my PC in order to record with it but that is likely due to my lack of skill with a computer and not a fault by BOSS. // 7

Sound: I use this with 2 Ibanez RGs and a modified Fender strat into a home made noise gate then into a White Horse 60W tube with a 4X8 cab and overall it sounds pretty damn good. Some of the distortions can sound a little too similar but that's not essentially a bad thing. The Wah function is excellent, gives a very nice sweep as do the octave up/down funtions. My only real qualm is with the Super Stack function, when you have your amp up at gigging volume it sounds great, very thick and chunky. When your amp is ata quieter volume, for home use say, it has a tendency to kind of muddy things slightly, again that could be to your advantage if you want that sort of sound. All of the various modulation effects (tremolo, phaser, delay etc) all sound as good as their various stompbox counterparts, the only real difference is you don't get as much fine control over each effect as you would with an individual stompbox. The loop function is also excellent, as far as I know there is no limit to the number of recordings you can layer over one another so it is very useful for soling over chord progressions or trying parts with different effects. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have a tendency to stamp a little too hard on pedals and stompboxes, thankfully it seems to take quite a beating and still no problems. I wouldn't gig without a backup because I'm paranoid about things breaking but not because it has a tendency to break, you could probably gig for years without it failing on you. // 8

Overall Impression: I try and dabble in a little of everything but I'm mostly a metal/rock guy and I honestly have yet to find a style that this thing can't do. While it could do some sounds slightly better (acoustic sounds have a slightly processed soound on occasion) it isn't inherently bad at anything. If it were lost or stolen I'd probably get one of the higher models (ME-50/ME-70) as I imagine they would just be an upgrade of what is already a high quality piece of gear. If for one reason or another I couldn't get a higher model I'd definately get this again. The sonar software that it comes bundled with is also an excellent bonus, very high quality software. Overall an excellent multi effects unit for any guitarist really, though it may not quite be up to standard for studio recordings. There is of course the limitations of a multi effects unit (difficult to jump several patches in one go, some effects would benefit from a greater range of modification) but I'd wager most people know if they prefer a multi effect or a series of stompboxes. // 8

ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: eLeCtRoFrEaK, on january 11, 2012

Purchased from: Amazon.com

Ease of Use: This is a great product and both the clean and heavy settings are great. This comes with Sonar LE recording software which works great; it also comes with backing tracks to jam to and solo. It takes a little bit to get use to programing it but after a half an hour it should easy for you to use. // 7

Sound: I own this pedal and the BOSS DS-1 which I all have connected to a Randall half stack and a Standard Strat guitar that's not so good but this things still kicks a-s! Hella lot! I like Metallica alot for their bone crushing riffs which I have no problem playing with my Boss ME-25. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This has a battery port which I haven't used yet but as far as I have been using it, it hasn't been giving me any trouble. I never played a gig with it but I usually step on the pedals really hard and I have no problem with it still. MAYBE ITS BECAUSE ITS A Boss PRODUCT, ALL Boss PRODUCTS ARE GREAT. // 9

Overall Impression: I play strictly heavy metal and this pedal is totally kicka-s with the heavy selection on it, I can also edit every aspect of it to get my Metallica tone! My favorite guitarist are Steve Vai, Alex Laiho, and Kirk Hammett I also kinda like Mike Thompson. The sounds are great but it's not going to give you all of these guys tone. // 8

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ ME-50B Bass Multi Effects Processor 8.5 Bass Effects 11/20/2014