ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects Review

8.9
 8.8
reviews (18) pictures (2) 107 comments vote for this gear:
ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 22, 2009

Ease of Use: The Boss ME-70 is exactly what it claims to be: Intuitive. It takes a bit to find how to get the kind of sound you want, but with a very small amount of practice, it comes naturally. It's especially nice for any of you Who are like me, and hate the menu-shifting multi-effects unit's that have become increasingly popular. Also, it's got tap-tempo for just about every effect. To be honest, I don't work much with the patches, I just use it in Manual Mode (basically it works just like a board of stompboxes in this mode) but from what I've heard, the patch system is not great because once you have a patch set, you can't edit it on the fly. The manual is just fine and explains everything pretty well (in many languages!). And one final note: The built in patches are actually of some use, unlike most multi-effects of this price. // 8

Sound: I bought this unit expecting a simple, effective interface, and good sound quality, and I got both. I'm playing the ME-70 with a MIM Fender Telecaster, and a Washburn Idol 64 Deluxe, run through a Randall RG 75 hybrid combo. I've yet to play it through a PA, but I can say that through an amp, I'd recommend forgoing the amp modeling, and just using the excellent 4-band EQ setting. Through headphones, the amp modeling sounds really nice, and I wouldn't hesitate to play direct through a PA or record with this. Through headphones, my Tele is a bit noisy on the higher-gain distortions, but I'll Live. The effects are very nice, just what I'd expect from Boss. If you're looking for crazy off-the-wall type effects for your music, you'll have a tough time here, but I play in an Indie-Electro band and an Ambiance-Visual band, and the effects work fine for those. At home, when I'm just jamming out the blues, or to my favorite songs, the overdrives and distortions are really great, with a bit of EQ-twiddling. I don't really strive to get any sounds for my favorite artists (Led Zeppelin, BB King, Nine Inch Nails, Modwheelmood, Radiohead, etc) but from what I can tell, you can get just about any general tone you want with this thing. The only effects or sounds that struck me as a bit weak were the octave (I used to own an EHX Multiplexer, so maybe I'm spoiled) and the wah (but any Crybaby owner will say that). The chorus isn't necessarily weak, but it's nothing special. It can get nice n thick though, if you're into that. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'd definitely depend on this, and though I haven't yet, I'd easily gig with this thing without a backup. Its made of sturdy metal and the only thing I'd fear is for the plastic stomp switches. Otherwise, the knobs, expression pedal, and everything else seem fine. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play in an Ambiance-Visual band (Radioheadish, but different) and an Indie-Electro band. But at home, I play just about everything, from black metal, to Acoustic, to blues, to classic rock, etc. This pedal has been working just fine so far, you just have to work with the settings a bit (certainly less than the monstrous Line 6 and DigiTech boards I've played). It's probably important to know that I used to be a die-hard stompbox player. I was all about individual analog effects. I still certainly see the advantage, but financial issues, as well as convenience led me to this board. For other stompbox users, I'd highly recommend it over any other multi-effects board. If it were stolen or lost, I'd definitely get a new one. Even if you're intent on playing with individual stompboxes, this would make a great backup, or practice untit. I used to hate multi-effects, but Boss really got the job done here. // 9

ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: carinci, on september 06, 2010

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Ease of Use: The nice thing about this multi-effect is it's ease of use. Yes, there are enough knobs to fill a parts bin on it, but each knob has its own job. Most times, your not using all the knobs anyway. However, I say anytime I can create my own sound and not just shuffle through someone else's presets, I'm willing to put up with a few things to turn now and again. // 9

Sound: I run this pedal through a Fender FM212 guitar amp. By its self, the amp is pretty loud, but a little tinny. Turn on the preamp using this effect and my lowly 100W combo has more thunder than a full Marshall stack. I especially like the natural sounding distortions in the blues to modern range. They are rich and responsive, while providing tons of gain without turning the signal muddy. Hands down, though, the phrase looper is king. If your a solo guitarist, this'll open new windows instantly! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've been using this exclusively for several months. The pedal weighs a on (as far as pedals go)and I've made the mistake of stubbing my toe on the die cast metal frame several times. It eats batteries for breakfast but other than that, I doubt I'd need a back-up. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this thing is great. Personally, I think $300 is a lot for a pedal. That said, it's worth the dough. I wish it came with the AC adapter, but most pedals don't anyway. It works great from folk to thrash and there is no reason not to Pick up one right away. // 9

ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: zacharykt338, on august 12, 2010

Ease of Use: The effects unit is relatively easy to use, definitely much more convenient than standard effects pedals, and way easier to use than other guitar effects processors. It is very easy to get great sound out of it, and the features are absolutely satisfying. Its much easier to simply just mess around with the unit to get the most out of it. Mainly it just takes a lot of experimentation, which can be actually be a good thing. There is nothing complicated about this unit. Theres even presets and effects bank already built in, which make it even more easier. // 10

Sound: The amp I hooked it up to would be a Roland 15x Cube, and it sounds great with it directly into the amp. The guitar I currently use with it is an Ibanez RG-350ex. Its safe to say that if you have a decent guitar and a decent amp, it definitely pushes your sound to a higher level in terms of quality and tone. There is hardly any feedback and noise, but I believe that only matters on the type of amp you own. The effects are definitely not weak at all. They always sound great on any setting, whether its a very subtle chorus thats just smoothens your sound, or a distortion type that completely seems to overtake your sound. It is also definitely possible to get the sound out of your favorite artists. I've been able to play music from bands like Metallica, Van Halen, and Radiohead, and to me I was satisfied with that sound i could get. Effects such as Distortion and Modulation have different sub-effects, like chorus, metal overdrive, along with different delays as well. They are all very good, but at times can be very bad when they are ALL used at once! But usually it isn't a problem at all, // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely depend on the ME-70. It is very durable, and it's built very well in a tough casing. Usually I can play it at almost any jam session or gig, and it never goes down at all. It seems to just be free of problems, and I haven't had any struggles with my sound with it at all. It isn't just easy to use, its tough and can withstand a lot. // 10

Overall Impression: The style of music that I play ranges from Indie to Alternative to Metal. To me, the Boss ME-70 seemed just what I needed: something that wasn't too hard to use, but also something that had every effect I needed for my sound. I've played guitar for about 2 years now, and I've used a China-made Fender Stratocaster, and I'm currently using an Ibanez RG350ex. The greatest thing is that it tends to satisfy every need of a guitarist, whatever genre you play, or whether you play rhythm or lead. If this was ever lost or stolen, I would definitely get another one, just because it is worth the price, which isn't that bad, and it greatly enhances my sound. My favorite feature would definitely be organization of all the effects, just the setup is nice. I really love the variety of pre-amp settings you get such as an amp stack or a rectifier. The different sounds you get is just awesome. The only thing I hate is sometimes when I accidentally hit a wrong switch, and it takes you into a different mode, which can get annoying sometimes. I compared this to the Boss GT-10, and the Vox Tonelab, and I chose this one because it was cheaper, and I've used Boss effects before, so I knew I would be more familiar with this unit. This effects unit is definitely an asset to your sound, and there really is nothing more I wish it had. // 10

ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: Philly C, on december 11, 2009

Ease of Use: I tried every single one of the multi effects unit's at Guitar center, this was the first one. I was immediately drawn to it's sturdy heavy all metal construction. I was looking for reliability, and found it. This thing is tough. // 9

Sound: I found that after quickly skimming the manual, it was extremely idiot proof. it's so simple to use and there's no tone I ahve been disapointed with, 6 second delay 40 second loop, crazy modulation settings that can go way further than I could ever need and the distortion can det to the point of wailing harmonics and incomprehensible fuzz. it's nutty. The Compressor gets sustain that can start on sunday and keep on wailing till saturday night. // 10

Reliability & Durability: well yes I would use this on a gig, and I don't have a backup haha. This thing rules. It's Solid Metal... The only plastic on here are the knobs, and those are still sturdy. It's very simple I can switch tones and make presets on stage while I'm playing this is the ultimate performing effects deal. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything, I have 2 guitars that I use with this, I have partitioned the 9 banks off... There are 9 banks with 4 patches each, starting at 7, I reserve all these tones for my rythm guitar a Fender Jaguar HH. And everything before that for my lead guitar, my Jackson DK2M naturally a lead guitar neads some wild tones whereas my rythm just needs some cool cleans a couple different delay types and a few modualtion oriented deals and one or two slightl distorted settings. If I lost it, hell it was cheep F yea I would buy another one. I tried the Boss GT-10 which was like 100 bux more and you could go into insane depth, I actually wound up getting it as well but gave it away to a friend of mine as a gift. he's more a recording artist, he found more use for it than I did. It was something you sit down with for hours and make the perfect tone with for your awesome guitar solo in your song you are recording in your studio. I didn't need that, I needed throw it no the floor and have a rad tone for your gig in 45 seconds flat. it's just like having 40 stomp boxes at your feet. // 9

ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 13, 2011

Purchased from: Allegro Music (Local Shop)

Ease of Use: I bought this pedal after years of hating on multi-effects boards. I have always purchased single stomp boxes and build my own pedalboards. I spend a lot of time at my local music shop sampling new hardware and when I picked this board up I was in love. The sound that this board produces is pro status. I haven't messed around to much with patches sinc eyou can't edit them after you insert one. I prefer leaving it in manual mode for quick setting changes. // 8

Sound: I play a Jackson RR3, Ibanez 7-String, Fender Stratocaster and a Taylor e310 Acoustic and I run them all through this pedalboard into a Roland 30x or when I am jammin' with friends I throw it on my Marshall stack. It does require some setting manipulation when switching from a small amp to a larger amp but its still not that much work. The actual effects are great. The ranges on the them are perfect. The expression pedal is very nice as well. I use the Octave +1 and Volume mostly since I run my Ernie Ball Wah into the ME-70. I still can't let my Ernie Ball go. The only thing as far as effects I don't relaly care for is the Computerized section. I still haven't found much use for it. That said, it still has every other sound you would want and if it doesn't you can patch them inline with the pedalboard. The manual even shows you how. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a tank. It's made out of metal just like all other Boss stompboxes. The only thing that isnt is the knobs and stomp pedals. In addition, you can purchase a few nice cases for this board. One is a hard case that opens adn holds the pedalboard for easy setup. The other is a softcase that is a little more cost efficient but only useful for transportation. // 10

Overall Impression: I play most styles of music: Speed Metal, Black Metal, Classic Rock, Blues, Slide Blues and Country. Those are just a few. I have been able to use this pedalboard to increase the sound of all styles without very little struggle at all. I also own a few random peices by DigiTech Hardwire which I string in with this pedalboard to enhance other areas or to just be greedy and have more pedals. Like I said, I was a hater on effects boards in the past but this pedal has changed all of that. I would buy this pedalboard again if anything happened to it and I would definately recommend it to anybody. It's great for the hobby musician that wants a great deal and to get a lot out of their money and its great for the professional musician who just wants to minimize the clutter on stage. Only thing I could say I wish it had, is the carry case. It doesnt't seem like it would be very hard for it to be a free add-in for the price your are paying. Also, its hard to find online to just buy outright. I had to go to my local music shop and order it because I could only find it overseas. // 9

ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 17, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: This is a very easy piece of kit to get usable sounds from. You can store your own EZ default patch for each effect, so on a gig getting the right sound is VERY quick. The best thing about the product, really. // 9

Sound: I am using my custom Telecaster through 60s Gibson Falcon Amp or a Marshall Class 5. It can be noisy depending on the settings, but as good or better than most effects pedals. The effects CAN sound great, they need a little tweaking but if you have good ears and a bit of patience you can get GREAT sounds out of this thing. It is swiss army knife though, so does it get the best sounds I have ever had? No. But that is not what I use this for. If I am being an "artist" I take my little pedalboard. If I am playing a top 40 gig or playing a pit gig, or quick studio session this gets the job done every time. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned in other reviews is that this thing excels for low-volume situations. If you are playing a pit gig or church gig and can't crank the amp, this sounds a lot better than my other pedalboard, which has some pretty high end pedals on it. There are good sounds to be had on all the effects, are any better than my fave pedals? No, but I am very fond of the defretter! I wish it had an acoustic model like the ME-50. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I do use it without a backup, though I do always have an Overdrive pedal in my gig-bag, just in case. // 10

Overall Impression: I am what they used to call a side man. I make most of my money writing music but play quite a lotas I am one of the few guitarists out there who can kinda read. I do a lot of theater work, sessions here and there, church gigs, that kind of thing. I have owned a lot of gear (about 15 guitars), but have been whittling down the collection. If you looked at the list of gear I used to own you may be surprised which gear I kept and which I sold. I am now down to three electric guitars (a nice custom hollow Telecaster, a Strat, and a humbucker equipped Ibanez Talman). I also have a Larivee Acoustic, Banjo, Mandolin and a couple of Basses. I have a few pedals, Boss Tuner, Keeley Compressor, Boss SD-2 (I have owned almost every boutique OD in the business, this is the only one I have kept other than my Barber LTD SR that lives in my gigbag) and an MXR Carbon Copy Delay. I own two guitar amps, a Gibson Falcon and a Marshall Class 5. I sold a lot of amps too, Vintage Fender, Vox, Marshall and Ampeg amps. I also have a few pedals that I don't seem to want to sell, my Tone Rider Chorus, my Voodoo Labs Chorus (I sold my CE-2, and my Retro Sonic Chorus), my Whirlwind phaser, and my modded Vox Wah (True bypass). I have owned almost every delay pedal I can think of too, down to the carbon copy now, simple. I have been playing for 30 years. I would buy the ME 70 again in a heart beat, but I don't think I'll have to. There are probably better sounding units out there, and I have owned a couple (I have sold my Carl Martin Quattro and my Nova System) but the ME 70 excels at being both comprehensive (Asoustic sim aside) AND easy to use in a gig situation. The Carl Martin sounded GREAT, but not better than my pedal board, and didn't have a tuner or a Wah so why not use a pedal board? The Nova System sounded good too, was more versatile, but again does not have a Wah (unless you plug in an expression pedal) and wasn't easy to edit on the fly. So the ME 70 can do anything, very easily but not be better than a small pedal board if you only need a few sounds. // 9

ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: the staggerwing, on may 25, 2009

Price paid: € 270

Purchased from: Mupo Music, Hoorn

Ease of Use: It's deffenitly easy to use, every idiot could figure how to get every possible guitar sound out of this thing... Creating you own pathces? No problem at all, just be sure you read the manual carfully ok? Than it should be fine and you'll be able to use it the very same day you purchased it... // 9

Sound: From the sweetest clean sound to destructive rectefier... I play things like, Foo Fighters, Metallica, Neil Young, BB King, Hendrix and Van Halen, and yes... They're all in this little box. It's got a noice surpressor so if you got noisy pickups, you'll be fine with it... It also has a preamp wich I not use by the way, but it's got some nice sounding presets... Using them seperate as stompboxes allow you to combine your own amp settings with the ME-70, 'cause when you really like your distortion sound but you only need flanger or something, just use flanger! You can also use your own amp's effects to create massive delays or double chorus... But don't, never, I mean not ever combine distortion... It will make a noise that even scares you! // 9

Reliability & Durability: If you can depend on it? Well, see for yourself, but I certainly can... No serious, it's great and'll never break... Unless an atomic bomb goes off, maybe it'll get some scratches than you can kill someone with it just by throwing it to the other... Though it's very light and yes! I can go gig with this thing without using backup... And I'm sure I will. // 10

Overall Impression: At first, it looked like knobs... I was actualy only planning to get a Whammy pedal, but my parents gave this instead *birthsday present*. I thought by myself: damn... How can one man possibly understand this... And yes I did! I figured this thing out in less than 25 minutes and believe me, you will to! The very same day I showed it to my friends, and they were thinking of buying it to... Once you get to know eachother better, you're gonna depend on eachother and that's what happened to me! It's got killer effects, sweet distortions and an expression pedal for all sorts of things. If this thing get's stolen *no it will not break* I'll find the one Who stole it and kill him... Or buy a new one, that's an option to. // 8

ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: lilchrist, on february 03, 2010

Purchased from: Bailey Brother's Music Co.

Ease of Use: This unit is very simple to use. When I originally bought it, I played a solid state amp. At that time it was quite easy to get a good sound out of it. Now that I play through a Mesa tube amp, it's a little more difficult. The setup of the device is simple enough though. The knob design is a plus. Who wants to run through a hundred different impractical menus? The manual is well written as well. // 8

Sound: As I said earlier, I used to play my Les Paul through a solid state amp (Vox VT30), but I now play through a Mesa 5:25 Express. I have grown to dislike this device for it's increased sound level, and tone coloring when not in use. The Compressor in my opinion colors your tone too much. I never use the Compressor on this thing. The drives are okay. I use the OD, Blues, Distortion, and Metal settings for various bits and pieces. They aren't too exciting though. The modulation is fine. No complaints there. Except for the harmonist though. I can't get a good tone out of that. It sounds so digitized...Hate it. The delays rock! The only part of this pedal that is consistently used by me. Although the analog tone is not analog-sounding at all, it's okay. I enjoy the looper. Helps me write parts a lot. The volume pedal is okay. (What do you want from me? It's a volume pedal!) The worst part? The Wah Sucks Hard! I mean absolutely sucks! // 6

Reliability & Durability: Sure. The casing is built like a tank. The volume/wah is not as sturdy as I'd like though. It's a little stiff. I think that it would handle a million gigs if you treated it write. // 9

Overall Impression: I play primarily christian worship music, rock, blues, some pop punk, and prog rock. I have been playing for four years. I wish that I understood how pedals work, what true bypass is, and how a digital modeler actually has to convert the signal from analog to digital then back to analog... If it was stolen I would not buy another. I actually plan on selling it soon. I hate the overall tone. I like the convenience. My favorite feature is the volume because it doesn't sound bad like the rest of the effects. I got it because I heard Boss was the best... Not true. // 5

ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 17, 2010

Purchased from: www.stringsdirect.co.uk

Ease of Use: I bought this particular multi FX pedal based on its selling point of being a virtual pedal board. You can use the pedal in a number of different ways - first of all manual mode. In manual, you have 4 pedals, set using the built in knobs. Compression, Distortion/Overdrive, Modulation, and Delay effects can be individually set, and its very easy to build usable sounds. There are also a few COSM amp models, all of which add extra dynamic to the sounds you can produce. In Memory Mode, you use the 4 pedals, combined with patch selection buttons (or optional extension pedals) to scroll through 36 pre-set patches, all of which have their use. You can save 36 additional user patches. The third mode is EZ Tone. With the EZ Tone Switch on, you simply choose the effect as in manual mode, but it is automatically set to Boss preset levels, most of which sound good, but generic. Add a solid enough tuner, an expression pedal that can control volume, pitch, or wah, and a 38 second loop recorder, and you have a very simple, very versatile piece of hardware. // 10

Sound: With a Marshall AVT150, and various guitars all with humbuckers, this pedal has proven itself very worthy, and very cheap at the asking price. My main sound over the past 16 years has been based on the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, and CE-2 Chorus. The ME-70 provides a good emulation of the MT-2, but without the harshness of the sound. The other distortions are well modelled, as are all the other effects, with the exception of the chorus, which is too mild, and easily missed in the mix. The Wah sounds as good as any other I've used (including an old 1970s Crybaby). The reverb and delay effects are all very clearly reproduced. The best addition is tap tempo for both the delay timing and modulation speeds, both accessed by holding the relevant pedal for 2 seconds. This enables some on-the-fly fine tuning of your sounds, especially useful in a live stuation. The higher gain distortion models do produce a fair amount of noise, but the built-in noise gate is more then sufficient to remove this, without detrimental effect on your tone. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Its made by Boss, so you know you can rely on this lasting forever. The case is metal, and the pedals and expression pedal are as solid as any other Boss product (my CE-2 is about 25 years old and still working like new!) If I ever get round to gigging again, I will always have my single pedals (because they form the basis for my sound), with the ME-70 used for the secondary effects, such as delay, flager and phaser, which I don't own or plan to own individually. I'm quite confident that this pedal would survive a gig and wonder what all the fuss was about. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal does just about everything, for any style of music. It even has a single to humbucker, and humbucker to single pickup adjuster, expanding the sonic possibilities. The distortion models are varied, and all are usable in the right circumstances. They are good at emulating their respective single pedals, albeit with lesser control. I can't think of anything to add to this pedal. It has a tuner, 38 second looper, expression pedal (which defaults to volume when not turned on), and more effects than you'll ever need. You can also set the modulation pedal to delay, so you can set two independent delays, for some echoey fun. If lost or stolen, I'd buy another without a second thought. // 10

ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: lunaemortalis, on february 09, 2011

Purchased from: Veerkamp México

Ease of Use: The ME70 basically is a very easy-friendly to use effects processor. It takes a bit of time to get over the learning curve but once you got it, your mind blows away. It has quite a lot of patches, though I like to use the individual effects better. Edition of the sound is really easy and you have plenty of effects to choose from as well as ten distortions. In general it is a good pedal. The EZ Tone selector is great in the beginning, then you get used to the manual mode. Good users manual and it's multilingual. // 9

Sound: Wonderful balance between every effects offered in the processing unit. I use it with a Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 and it really complements the amp unit. The pre-amp EQ is all I use since it boosts the sound of the amp. The Noise Gate is excellent to eliminate hums or external sound. The distortions are good overall, especially the OD, DS, MZ and MC versions. Compression sounds great as it will sustain your sound for as long as you need it. Mods are fantastic, I love the Chorus, don't feel it weak at all. Delays are really good, though a bit limiting when you edit them. Expression pedal is good with a pretty average WAH, a CRAPPY voice mode and good + - octavers. Lost the spring reverb mode, which I do miss from the ME50. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is stronger than a tank and I'm not kidding here. The chassis is build to last because it's made of metal and not sloppy plastic. Reliabilty is awsome, though it's always recommendable to have a backup, you'll not use it. As long as it has energy to run from, either DC or batteries, it will go on and on. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of things, from metal to blues, hard rock, Vintage rock, rock en espaol and sometimes even jazz (not bright at it yet) and the ME70 responds to EVERY SINGLE ONE of my musical needs. It is actually an inversion, rather than a spending. The only things I would change would be the Wah and Voice mods in the expression pedal since they're weak and I would add the spring reverb to the unit. I use three guitars with it and it works great with them (LTD M100FM, BcRich Warlock, Cort X6). If you're looking for a good effects unit for a good price, this is the one. I bought it in Mexico so it's a bit more expensive, you know, taxes and all that useless govt. crap. Hope this helps you. // 9

ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: badger10, on march 23, 2011

Purchased from: new zealand dollars rockshop

Ease of Use: Very easy to get a good sound. Very intuiative and easy to use just spin the knobs till you get the sound you want. Easy to read knowledge fulled manual. Havn't had a go at patches yet so can't comment there. Only down side is knobs are close together so can't be operated by feet while playing. // 7

Sound: Sounds really good. Sound is very easy to control and allows a great sound through whatever I've used it in and what it has been used with. Has a feedback canceller that work very well and hasn't ever feedback on me. Has a really good range on distortion and full control on the flanger and phaser. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very dependable never had it brake down on me and has a tough metal case which would take a knock or two. Would defently gig with out a back up. Don't know about battery use as i brought an adaptor with it, which is definatly worth buying. Taken it to school and gigs a few times and it still works perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: Have heard metal, rock and blues played through it and they all sound great. Very good match the meatl distortion is brutal ands the other distotions allow it to change sound easily. Been playing five years and goes very well with my razorback. Would buy again if it got stolen. // 9

ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: GuitarGeekAGard, on may 20, 2011

Ease of Use: I'm not usually the best with effects units but the Boss ME-70 is a paice of cake even for me and the sounds you get are very rewarding. Editing patches is fairly simple select you patch press edit when your done tweaking your sound press write. The manual gives you simple step by step instructiions for use and isn't to technical in any way. // 10

Sound: I play mainly metal and Grunge music along with some funk and classic rock and the effects suit these genres perfectly. I play it through a Vox AC15 with a Gretsch Pro Jet. Most of the effects are amazing but the chorus can sound like your playing your guitar with a bit of cardboard and that was the only sound I wasn't impressed with but all the other effects work out fine and sound amazing. After playing various other multi effects units such as various Zoom models, DigiTech RP55 and a Line 6 Pod XT Live or something like that I have to say I prefer the ME-70 over all of them. The amp modelling on the ME-70 is pretty good, your able to get the sound of a Killer amp in just a quick turn of a knob, the only thing I would say is that there could be a larger variety of amps but I can't really grumble for 210. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Honestly this thing is built like a tank it looks like it could withstand a nuclear blast and in the 6 months I've had it it hasn't broken down or given up at any time its worked to its full potential all the time. I use a 9v ps with mine so I don't know how long a set of batteries would last but if ure gonna gig with it use a ps. I never take a backup with me because I feel that its 100% reliable and can withstand and knocks or drops. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I am in love with this multi effects unit it just rocks in every way. The value for money is amazing because you get Killer amp models create effects and hours of fun for just over 200 and the sound quality is better than any other multi effects unit I've tried. If it were stolen or lost within a second you would find me online and purchasing a new one. My favourite feature which I haven't mentioned yet it the phrase looper as you can over dub your sounds as much as you like and it never sounds so cramped or of a poor quality. The only gripes I have is the tacky chorus and that is it. Truely a worthwhile purchase. // 10

ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: nk463, on june 14, 2011

Ease of Use: Just out of the box this pedal sounds great and the pedal wasn't too stiff. So you can really slam on the Wah pretty fast. It's easy to figure out and the only issue you would have is adjusting those knobs during an earthquake. Which is unlikely so it really is great. // 10

Sound: Alone plugged into an amp it sounds great but plug it into a mixing board can make the sound a little scratchy. When plugged into a mixing board. Plus the Wah sometimes helps emphasize the string's twang and makes it too scratchy sometimes. If you don't want to hear any of that you could just dissengage the Wah effect which doesnt't make it all that bad. Other than that this pedal sounds absolutely great. My only real issue is that I kinda wish that Boss could've put the "presence" effect with the pedal just like the ME-50 has. // 8

Reliability & Durability: this pedal is completely reliable I use it every week and even though it doesn't sound as true as it should going through a mixing board it still sounds great... Just remember to pack a power source or a shitload of AAs (the pedal is reliable, just not sure what batteries you are using). // 10

Overall Impression: I play a little this and a little that at home but all my gigs are for my church so this pedal is not too overpowering but still it is durable, sounds great, and is fun to use. If it were stolen I would replace it definately... If it were broken and the warranty is still good I would probably refund it and upgrade to the GT-10though (mostly because you can record a whole song on that thing unlike the 30 somewhat seconds on the phrase loop) // 9

ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: infinity8245, on february 24, 2012

Ease of Use: While it can be a little bit overwhelming at first glance, the ME-70 is actually pretty easy to use. It's laid out like you have a whole bunch of regular stomp boxes in front of you, and I really appreciate having dials as opposed to having to edit sounds through a digital interface. For those who are newer to guitar effects (or those who aren't as picky), the ME-70 has an EZ-Tone button that can be activated. When EZ-Tone is on, the pedal automatically selects pre-programmed settings for each tone/effect, that are all pretty good. // 9

Sound: I'm running this pedal into a Peavey Classic 50 Amplifier on the clean channel, and playing a Schecter Blackjack-ATX Solo 6 with it. I love the tones and effects that this pedal provides... It's extremely versatile. I generally play rock, hard rock, and some metal and I get great sounds for all of those genres. Once in a while I dabble in bluegrass and blues, and I've been able to get some sick tones in that direction as well. I'm not sure how able the pedal is to match the tones of other artists because I prefer not to copy and really shape my own tones, but I'm pretty confident that the ME-70 would be able to crank out sounds for a ton of different guitarists. While the pedal doesn't provide sound that's as nice as running through an expensive amp head and cabinet in conjunction with a pricey rack mount effects processor, you can't beat the tone for the price. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've come to rely on this pedal almost exclusively and I play with it during band practice twice a week and have taken it out for live shows a couple of times. I've had NO problems what'soever. The metal chassis is very durable and even with aggressive foot stomping and high use of the expression/volume pedal, I've seen absolutely no degradation in its performance. I'm so confident with the pedal that I don't feel the need for a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said earlier, the pedal isn't as good as an expensive amp head, cabinet, and rack effects unit, but that should be obvious. However, that being said, this pedal ROCKS! I've been able to get so many different tones out of it that are just killer for rock music and when fiddling around with different effects, I've heard from great light distortion and blues tones as well. You really can't beat this pedal for the price. I intend to keep using this pedal heavily and don't really see a need to add many more pedals into my arsenal. The only additions I can think of are a dedicated Wah pedal (such as the Dunlop Cry Baby) and a 10-band equalizer, because this pedal only has a 4-band equalizer. I compared it to similar products from Line 6 and this pedal won, hands down. I've been a Boss fanatic for years now and this pedal has only strengthened my confidence in the company. If you're looking for an affordable multi-effects processor with tons of killer sounds, this is the pedal for you. You won't be disappointed. // 10

ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: mikesmith1972, on february 28, 2012

Ease of Use: I've used a lot of multi effects units, and this one is by far the easiest to use. I only needed the manual to figure out how to save patches and adjust the expression pedal. If you can read, you can figure the rest out easily. // 10

Sound: The sound I get out of this depends on what amp and guitar I'm using. I have a Fender Strat with an HSS set up and an SG with P90s. I have a Peavey Classic 100, a Jet City JCA20H, and Marshall 100 watt solid state head, all run through the Peavey's cabinet. I get the best sounds out of the ME-70 (to me) with either of the tube heads and the Strat's humbucker. But even with that set up, I can't get anything I like from the amp models. I mostly use them just for messing around with headphones on or recording. I haven't found much use for the comp settings, the distortion/od settings are very good, the mod effects are so so. I'm not a big fan of delay, but they sound good. I love the phrase looper for practicing. The expression pedal was probably the biggest surprise for me. Most multi effects units, the expression pedal is more like a toy. This one is actually usable. The Wah is excellent, as is the octave +/-. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It has a solid chassis, but I'm not confident the foot switches will hold up. And I can see one of the knobs getting kicked off. I mostly play local bars and back yard parties, but if I was a touring musician, I don't think I would depend on this. // 5

Overall Impression: Depending on the crowd, I cover everything from The Beach Boys to Slayer, and I can pull it off with this thing. But if I was showing off my own music and wanted to be taken seriously, I doubt I'd use it. In my opinion, it's good for having fun, it would be a good tool for somebody just starting out trying to find what kinds of sounds they like, and an easy way to cover a lot of sonic ground. But if you already have a specific sound, and you're serious about it, there's much better quality out there. // 7

ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: jondurrant, on may 31, 2012

Purchased from: Alamo Music

Ease of Use: The Boss ME-70 is very easy to use if you are good with knobs and are very good at understanding the manual. For me it's easy to use after you start using it for a while, when it first arrived I was clueless as how to use it. Overtime it became easy to use. The manual is very very helpful, without it I would have gone crazy figuring out how to use it. I love the manual because it shows you step by step how to use everything including the "expression pedal". // 8

Sound: I use a Fender guitar and an Epiphone Les Paul 100. Not noisy if you have your Pre-Amp off. The effects are amazing, they always satisify me. I love that I can get the sound of my Favorite artis like The Myriad they tend to use lots of effects in their music such as synth my personal favorite. Every effect sounds amazing. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it when I'm on stage performing with my band. I always use it in a gig I don't go anywhere with out it. I have back up but never used them. The Boss ME-70 can last you a life time if you know how take care of your things. Everytime I use it I make sure I always put it back in its box to keep it clean and smelling fresh // 5

Overall Impression: I play Alternative Adult Rock. I've been playing 4 months. I own Pyramid Amp, Smashbox SM7, Behringer multi digital fx, Boss ME-70. If it were stolen I would buy it overs and overs again. What I love about it's it reverb knob and Overdrive as well as delay and the pre amp. I don't hate anything about it. My favorite feature is the fuzz. I wish nit had more reverb and way more delays. // 7

ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: martin.roussev, on december 21, 2013

Price paid: € 299

Purchased from: Thomann

Ease of Use: The sound is good, and the manual helped me a lot when I first used it, but sometimes it's complicated. As I mentioned before, I never use the ez tone or banks because they're too complicated. However, it is easy to switch effects and to modify the tone. The compressor doesn't make sense, when I'm turning the nobs I don't know if I'm switching the sustain, sens (whatever that is?), attack, tone, level or peak. I wish it would say THAT in the manual. The manual is only full of a bunch of obvious things that anyone could figure out by themselves the first time they even touch the pedal. Overall, it is not too easy or too hard to use. I recommend buying it if you do not want to buy 20 separate different effects. // 6

Sound: The sound of the effects on the pedal are really quite nice. The different pre-amps sound amazing and the distortion sounds good too. The EQ offers a large range, which I find useful. The reverb is really good, and you can use room or hall. The output level isn't that great. I would recommend putting a high volume on the amplifier and a low output volume on the pedal, because otherwise the amplifier will sound very distorted. Sometimes the distortion sounds muffled, but overall it sounds good. All of the modulation sounds nice, maybe apart from the octave or the tremolo. I would use separate pedals for that. The pedal FX is nice, especially the wah. However, the volume pedal control isn't that good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would use this pedal live, and I would buy it, as it saves money if you don't want to buy 20 different separate effect pedals. The batteries last a long time, and it warns you that it is running out around a week before they actually do. However I still recommend using a DC adapter when available. It says that you should only use a Boss Psa adapter, but there's really no point and just use your own instead of wasting money. You should make it on the adapter so that it has a negative center, not a positive. BE CAREFUL WITH THAT. Once the pedal didn't start up correctly and the volume wasn't working on it. Overall, the pedal is very reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of rock and alternative music, and this is useful for that, especially with distortion and delay. I don't usually use the compressor, as I feel it doesn't really do much. I really like the pre-amp section and the distortion. I use a lot of volume and tone change in my own music, and it is easy to switch between effects. Sometimes you can pretend to play bass because of the -1 octave pedal fx. The tuner's good, and it works with a bass as well. I don't have any pedals for my bass, but I only use this for delay, reverb or volume because the distortion or preamp would never sound good and it could ruin your amp. I don't really get the 'ez tone' and tone banks, and I never use them. I just write down all the settings I've used for every song and keep them somewhere. There is one minor problem that sometimes when you want to put, let's say, the distortion drive to 70/99, sometimes you get stuck between switching between 69 and 71. However, I'm sure that is not a HUGE problem, unless you have OCD or something. The different pedals are also a suitable distance away from each other. // 8

ME-70 Guitar Multiple Effects Reviewed by: Victorgeiger, on june 04, 2014

Purchased from: Music Mate

Ease of Use: The pedal is very simple and intuitive to use. All the inputs and outputs are clearly labelled and I could get a sound out of it straight away. The pedal comes with some great standard patched but I quickly found myself overwriting the default ones with my own creations. I didn't open the manual that came with this pedal until a month after using it. Almost everything is easily accessible because each effect has it's own pedal and control knobs. I have edited the first 10 patches on the pedal and have never found myself needing anything else. These 10 effects cover my entire guitar tone and I have included most of the effects available on the pedal in some patches. I am very happy with how easy this was to set up and I have never had a loss of data issue or anything like that. Overall fantastic product. // 10

Sound: Before I bought this pedal I was using a Zoom GFX-8 which is not a bad pedal in it's own right but the Boss pedal blows it out of the water especially in the distortion department. This pedal gave me the beefy metal tone that I was looking for and the COSM amp sim means I have to do very little to the guitar track after recording it.

I am a fan of many bands signed to Sumerian Records and Rise Records and I am able to easily get guitar tones fitting to that style of music. What more can I say about the sound except that it is awesome and good enough for professional use. The only thing that could have may benefited from a better tone is the wah which is quite flat sounding. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is very solid. I think it may be made out of steel. It is clearly designed to take rough treatment and be stepped on in all the wrong ways. I know this pedal can take a beating. I have dropped it before and kicked it around and it still doesn't have a scratch on it after over a year of heavy use. All the switches and knobs feel very solid and I don't think any of them will break any time soon. I feel comfortable taking this pedal anywhere because I know it won't get damaged. I even split something on it once and it was fine. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock and metal. I do also play acoustic guitar and find that this pedal has a really nice acoustic simulation to it which makes it really nice for practicing hard songs on my electric guitar first. I have also plugged my acoustic guitar into the pedal and the reverb and delay effects sound great with it. The price of this pedal is the best thing for me because it is good enough for studio and gigging which saved me from having to buy other equipment. If it were lost or stolen I would probably buy a Boss ME-25 for gigging and buy a more studio focused effects unit because I am spending much more time in the studio but this is style the type of multi effects pedal I will stick with for a long time. // 10

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ ME-50B Bass Multi Effects Processor 8.5 Bass Effects 11/20/2014