MT-2 Metal Zone Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 10/22/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: MT-2 Metal Zone
MT-2 distortion pedal MT2 for guitar. Equipped with a dual gain circuit, provides super-long sustain and heavy mids and lows like a stack of overdriven amps. Three-band EQ, wide range of distortion textures.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Ease of Use: 8.6
 8.4
 7.8
reviews (134) pictures (4) 218 comments vote for this gear:
MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: PlanetTelex, on august 01, 2005

Ease of Use: This pedal is difficult for newbies to get their desired sound. This was my first pedal I bought, and it intmidated me at first. However, the manual gives you a few setting to get started with, as well as an explanation of the 3 band EQ, which helped me alot. // 8

Sound: I use this tiny little 15 watt Crate amp with a mediocre sound, but this distortion makes a big difference. The Overdrive setting they give you sounds amazing through my Mexican Fender Fat Strat. I was so surprised that I could get the sound I did out of it. The heavy metal sound is menacing (in a good way). I might as well be crashing to metal bricks into each other. The three band EQ gives me alot more versatility than the average distortion pedal, even though it was a new concept for me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss. I would rely on this pedal anywhere, no backup neccessary. // 10

Overall Impression: Don't let the name Metal Zone fool you. I've gotten Hendrix and Santana tones out of this pedal. Like I said, this was my first pedal, and I doubt I will need another distortion pedal, unless I wanted a really bluesy tone. I love the fact that I can get a good amount of sounds and tones out of it. My only problem was the fact that it was difficult to use at first. But don't be intimidated; I know a guy who plays in a reggae band and uses only this pedal and a wah! I highly reccomend this product. If this was lost, I would run out and buy it again. I got it on sale, it's normally a bit more expensive, but I think it's worth the price. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 12, 2006

Ease of Use: First off, let me just say that if you're a 15 year old kid, have a squire strat, and a 15 watt Peavey practice amp, then this is the pedal for you. But if you're a serious musician, and are either gigging or recording, keep looking. You see, most Boss pedals, in fact all of them, are very good single effect units. But the gain that this unit is made to achieve is just too much for one little unit to handle. If you are playing on a clean channel and switch to distortion (via MT-2) the sound is instantly diminished in tone and volume. // 4

Sound: I used a Fender Jag-Stang, Jackson DXMG, and even a '61 SG reissue with this thing, and it just doesn't cut it as for as good solid sound. At first, I ran it through a Line 6 Spider II 30 watt, and then realized how much better the amp's distortion was than the pedal itself. Another thing about this pedal is that, unless you have the gain almost all the way up, your going to get a very thin(not in a good way) and buzzy sound. // 3

Reliability & Durability: Here is where the Metal zone has it's good points. Like all Boss single units, this thing could be run over by a Ford pickup and still work perfectly (although I'm not saying you should go try it). And if you, for some reason are using it at a gig (which I really don't suggest)have no fear, this thing wont cut out on you. But just make sure you've either got it plugged into a power supply, or have Brand New batteries in it (because Boss pedals absolutely devour battery life). // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I guess this is an ok pedal. Like I said, if you're just starting out, then go right ahead, since you probably won't be playing anywhere but you're bedroom. But if you're an active musician, and are looking for a heavy sound at a cheaper price, I'd go with either a Peavey valve king, or a Line 6 Spider 2 (Spider 3's are cool but have too much bottom end in them, causing a real muddy sound if you're not careful). hope this review was helpful! // 5

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: Dithindious, on april 30, 2009

Price paid: £ 54.99

Purchased from: Merchant City Music

Ease of Use: The Boss MT-2 was designed to provide heavy distortion via one unit, something many pedals strive for however few can actually deliver. It comes with a 3 band EQ coupled with a mid frequency control and standard volume and gain(distortion) controls. It is not a particularly easy pedal to get a good sound out of but this is due to the complexity of the control system that you are offered. However anyone with previous experience with this style of control should be at home here and have no difficulty achieving the sound they desire. The manual does make it easier for begginers to understand the controls and also comes with a range of generic preset examples such as 'heavy metal' and 'fuzz' which although handy for a basic idea, it is much better to map the output of the pedal to match your particular guitar/amp. As far as I am aware there has been 2 models of MT-2 made available, however the Original model, which many claim to be the best, is no longer manufactured. This review is for the newer model. // 7

Sound: I mainly use this pedal through an Ibanez S520EX with EMG 81 and 85 combination. I have played this setup through many amps all of which I have been able to produce similar results with appropriate tweaking. It is a fairly quite pedal however as with all high gain equipment it is best to run them through a noise gate. I have it set up for a combination thrash/death metal sound and as such the gain levels are fairly high, even at these levels however it remains fairly quite up to higher volume levels where the high levels of feedback become and issue. I don't believe I would find myself using this pedal through a high quality, high gain tube amp however this pedal will fit right at home with most solid state setups. It does not always sound brilliant but for my purposes it functions extremely well. it's not a particularly warm sound and it cansound a bit thin at the high end sometimes but in general it does it's job and provides high gain metal sounds efficiently. I am capable of emulating most older death and thrash metal sounds however it would struggle to match the tone of bands such as Pantera or on the less extreme side of metal with bands such as Iron Maiden. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is a Boss pedal with all metal construction, I strongly believe that this pedal would last through a nuclear war. As with everything electronic, faults can however occur and as such you would have to be a madman to gig without a backup. If however I was tempted to Live life on the edge, this would be one of the pedals I would feel safe about. I have owned it for nearly 2 years and have had no issues so far. // 10

Overall Impression: As I have previously mentioned. I primarily play metal ranging from Classic metal through to Death Metal. This pedal works at it's best when coupled with soem of the more extreme, higher gain areas of the genre. I have been playing for nearly 4 years now however do not own as much high quality gear as I would like too. If I came into possession of a hgih gain tube amp I do not believe that this pedal would find a place in my effects loop however at the moment I am using solid state, an area where this pedals dynamics are really shown off. If it was stolen I would probably buy it again, it's fairly cheap and does the job very well. The only other real thing to meantion is the obvious, buy an AC adaptor cause it munches batteries like nothing else! // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: Donkey Fly, on february 06, 2006

Purchased from: Sound Control , Leeds

Ease of Use: It's is pretty easy to get a sound out of. I just messed about with the controls till I found my sound. In the manual there are some settings in there to get certain sounds like heavy metal, British rock etc. The maunual is pretty good, there are the settings as I said in the above paragraph and some information on how to the work it, what's on the pedal, and the normal technical difficulties shit. I'm pretty sure this is the only Meral Zone pedal Boss have released. // 8

Sound: I use a Richwood Les Paul with Ernie Ball customs. A Behringer 15 watt GM108 amp a DigiTech RP50 for Multi FX, a Behringer OD100 for my distortion and Overdrive and the MT-2 for lead and some rhythm. It can be a bit noisy if you are in a small room and close to your amp which is on full volume but you expect that on sertain pedals really. It isn't noisy as in feedback noisy though. The effect I have at the moment for lead is extremely good. I haven't really checked any other sounds out but I love the sound I've got now. I play Green Day, Blink 182, Rise Against and other stuff and it works great for them, especially when I use my OD100 with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As with all Boss pedals there are almost indestructable. Extremely well made. I would definately use this without a back up. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock music and it fits perfectly. If it was stolen or lost I would buy another if I had the money, but I'll make sure it is never stolen! I compared it to all the other Boss distortion pedals apart from one which was the Mega Distortion MD-2. I also compared it to other pedals such as the Marshall Guvnor. This pedal was so much better then the others but quite alot. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: metalshreder, on february 17, 2007

Purchased from: AL Music

Ease of Use: The MT-2 is very easy to achieve a desired tone and any reasonable tone. The manual is ok but it is only templates for the MT-2 and well you should experiment with your tone a little. I mean they is settings for all types of music that is guitar related, Blues, Jazz, Rock, British Rock, Heavy Metal and more. // 10

Sound: I use a STG.03 Aria Strat and Jackson Pro series Dinky on Marshall MG100DFX. And well with the strat it is a bit noisy actually buzz because it uses cheap single coil pickups but with the Jackson well hum because of the Seymour Duncan pickups are'nt cheap. The distortion is always optimal providing you use a Boss AC-2 9v Adaptor, but with a battery it will die quickly. You can get that tone of all of your favourite artist's easily. I listen to mainly metal like Maiden, Priest, Trivium and it suits that tone very well. The distortion is very good it's actually just unsurpasable. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is a very reliable pedal. I would definetly depend on it any where. I would use it Live surely without backup aswell it is sturdy and capable of beatings and if you were perfoming in a cold environment it would stay at it's best I'm certain but obviuosly it isn't going to work if you throw in a river and expect it work now seriously what pedal can. // 10

Overall Impression: I play an assortment of music and yes it is a an excellent match without a doubt. I have been playing over one year. I also own a MG100DFX, Dunlop picks, Aria STG.03 stratocaster, A 10watt Kustom Practice amp and a few other small things straps etc. If it were stolen I would buy it again in an instint without a doubt that's if I had the money. I love the whole middle selection tone and fq. which makes it sound great. I compared it to a DigiTech Death Metal, DigiTech Grunge, A Boss Mega Distortion and A Boss DS-1 and there was'nt much comparison really. There is nothing really I wish it had except that they cost less really I found the metal zone a really good pedal overall. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: the transaction, on november 07, 2005

Ease of Use: This pedal is great for any type of music that you need distortion, from Death Metal to rock and everything else too. I love this pedal, and for the money I paid or even more its one of the best distortion pedals. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Squier Fender Strat with a Crate bass amp (which works very well with music that needs a boost of low tones) and it works good except the occasional screech, but you only hear that if your laying your guitar down. Its "big" sounding and it sounds great if your using palm mutes. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Super tough and reliable (what do you expect from Boss). I would give these to my whole band to use without any backup pedals. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, and nu-metal and its perfect for that it's sometimes a pain to set the levels but it's great! I haven't been playing that long but I play bass guitar, electric guitar, I sing, and my whole family is very musically orieted. This is the only pedal I own, but I have heard other pedals while checking them out on the Web, and I've read very many reviews that have stated that this pedal isn't very practical unless you play metal, but I have to disagree the only reason I can think of for them to say so is that they don't want to find out how to play those things. The companys pedals that try to sound like this one and trying in vein because this pedal has so many different styles of setups and tones. I wish Boss included a sheet with different setups for different music styles. If this were stolen I would deffinatley buy another MT-2. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: metallica1991, on january 22, 2007

Purchased from: Ceceres Music

Ease of Use: The Boss MT-2 is a guitar pedal made for heavy metal rockin'. This product is a great one for someone Who is into rock, hard rock, heavy metal, and hardcore music. I play most of that kind of music, even though I don't really like the hardcore genre it's still really fun to use and you get a great sound no matter what. Their is a manual that comes with it and it is very detailed. // 7

Sound: The Boss MT-2 has a great sound to it. I have a Marshall AVT-50 and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and when it's cranked up (only have it on clean with about 4 gain and 7 or 8 vloume by the way if you want it to really sound good with it also being loud) there is hardly any feedback when your not playing and whenyoure playing it's so crisp you can only hear the notes you play unlike some other pedals which have other crap that you don't want. The distortion on it is terrific and warm sounding with a lot of punch. You can get perfect sounds for Metallica, rage against the Machine and pantera or other heavy bands or turn the gain down to about 3 or 4 and get the acdc or Wolfmother sounds you like to hear. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This product is very reliable it comes with a battery included but it didn't last me long so I just used a acdc adaptor for it it works perfectly. I haven't giged with it yet because we haven't got any booked until late march so I haven't got to use it in a gig. It would be perfect in a gig aswell I'd have to say. // 8

Overall Impression: I play any thing from rock and roll to really heavy metal music and back down to nice warm acoustic music this is perfect for everything I play, maybe not so much the acoustic but it still works for my liking. I've been playin seriously for bout a year mainly rithym tunes but I'm starting to get in to lead stuff. if it was stolen I'd proabaly try and save up for a new one but I am poor so it would be hard. I really like this product because it's perfect. I compared it to a Marshall jackhammer and a DigiTech metal master and I'd would opick this one anyday of the week every thing is on this except contour and chorus feature but it's not that important though. // 8

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: vampwizzard, on april 11, 2004

Ease of Use: Relatively easiy, pedal opens straight foward, battery connects correctly. The knobs are simplistic in both design and functionality, came with a manual that gave knob positions for presets. // 10

Sound: Simply Amazing. Clean takes most minimal hit that isn't noticable unless you sit there and switch it a couple times. It gave me a nice "texture" for playing Immigrant Song that made me stand out, even with a smaller amp. I got a good fuzz sound, a good sound like from The Clash, and even some nice scathing alternative distortion. Set correctly, you can get a good crunch that comes close to the Grunge sound.. but not quite. A very good pedal // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well.. this depends. Out of the box, you have to use 9volts, which the unit will eat if your not careful. If you unplug your input and output cables after you are done playing, it lasts for quite awhile. Replacing batterys takes away one point on this stat. If you purchase the power adapter from Boss (cheap) you won't run into this problem. As for design, the pedal is about 6 years old and works like brand new. // 8

Overall Impression: Id say this pedal is a very very good one. I like its sound over the DigiTech metal pedal equivalent. Like I said, if you take care of it, it will most definately take care of you. Buy either this or the Boss Metal Distortion Wah pedal, which has this pedal built in ;) // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 01, 2004

Ease of Use: The Boss MT-2 comes with 3-band EQ knobs and some mid knob that I've never messed with so I don't know what it does. It is pretty easy to acheive what sound you want when you have bass, middle, and treble knobs to work with. The thing can go pretty loud too. To match my amp, I only needed to put the level to 3. The battery is very easy to access. There is a thumb screw (no tools required) near the bottom of the pedal and from there you can change batteries. One should know that if you're using a battery and not the AC adapter, always unplug the input when you're done using the pedal because the battery gets drained when there is something plugged into the input. // 10

Sound: I use the Boss MT-2 with an Ibanez RG321 and a Marshall MG15CD. The distortion quality comparison of the built in and the Boss MT-2 is amazing. The Marshall distortion almost sounds fake compared to the Boss MT-2. I have distortion set to 10 and its not fuzzy at all. But I have the treble at around 4. Higher than 5 it can produce a feedback at high volumes. You can acheive hundreds of different sound from this pedal because of the 3-band EQ. One side note, although I only tried for like 5 minutes, I was unable to get the more heavy chunky sound of System of a Down distortion but I'm sure with the right tweaking, it's possible. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built to last. It's completley metal and has a rubber base. The knobs are made of plastic but none have popped off on me yet. The only problem I've had so far is that every month or so, the thumb screw comes loose but it's no problem whatsoever. The pedal can be used even without the screw and it's never come loose to the point where I can loose the screw because the screw if pretty long. // 8

Overall Impression: It's a great pedal and matched with a good amp like a Marshall, it can sound incredible. It's definatley worth the money and it's nice having something that you know will last you through your gradual increase of skill or something like that. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: jeremy_chan, on august 11, 2005

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

Ease of Use: When I first got this pedal, I was ecstatic because I've always wanted to get a really heavy distorted tone but my amp simply couldn't do the right job. But as it turns out, I had to screw around with the pedal until I finally found the manual which had some MT-2 presets such as fuzz, heavy metal, blues, Overdrive, but since my amp was a crappy 15 watt Behringer GM-108 amp, the heaviest tone possible that I would find, would sound somewhat like deep purple, which in my opinion isn't distored enough, as I was looking for a Metallica or Children Of Bodom tone, but I think the main problem has to be my amp, because within the first week of having my MT-2, my amp would vibrantly shake if I were to play something with the MT-2 hooked up, so I'm assuming that the amp's speaker is probably f--ked up, because when I tried the effect pedal on another much more expensive amplifier in the music shop, the sound was at least 1000x better. But I'm rather satisfied with the tone because I managed to find the most heavy and distorted tone possible on the MT-2 one random night when I was fiddling with the controls, but as it turns out, the tone I found can mimic any Lamb Of God, Arch Enemy, Children Of Bodom, even nu-metal bands such as Linkin Park and Papa Roach. So maybe in the end, the pedal does need some experimenting if you want to get your most preferred tone. // 8

Sound: I'm currently using an Ibanez RG450LTD and it sounds great with the MT-2, especially if I make a high harmonic with the distortion on, and spaz out with the Whammy bar, mainly because my guitar literally screams when that happens, due to the right amount of distortion I get from my trusty MT-2. Unfortunately, if you don't have humbucker pickups, you'll definately get a really loud 'hum' feedback sound if you don't do anything with your guitar with the distortion turned on to the max, but lucky enough, my RG450 has 2 humbucker pickups which will eliminate any unwanted sound, putting my ears and nerves at ease. Another good point is that, the sound will always stay as heavy as it should be, even if the battery's running well low, which is absolutely great because I find replacing batteries on this bad boy is a pain in the neck, but they're sure to last long enough to keep you from throwing a tantrum. I can definately get the sound of my favourite artists ranging from a very thrashy metallica to a mildly distorted offspring tone which is great, because often the distotion even 'tops out' some of the distortion I hear in the actual songs I listen to which earns this buddy a big 5. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal was built to last and I am living proof. Even though I've dropped this pedal several times (by accident obviously), and this pedal has sustained only minor scratches and dents but it does not effect the tone at all because all the harm was done on the outside, and not in the inside. On the other hand, I would depend on this pedal without a backup because the only backups I probably need are batteries to keep my friend running. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly heavy, death, thrash metal and this pedals tops it all. Again, it can create a more distorted tone than today's modern heavy metal bands such as avenged sevenfold, atreyu, evanescence and many more. Lastly, for ya'll lucky metal zone owners out there, I'd like to recommend my tone to you all because this is the exact tone I had to fiddle around with to finally get it, so here goes - level=12 o'clock, high=3 o'clock, low=3 o'clock, middle=5 o'clock (max), mid freq=5 o'clock (max), dist=max. So there you have it. My ultimate tone I can get from my MT-2 Metal Zone. By the way if anyone else can recommend me a much tastier tone. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: fragydig529, on december 06, 2006

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: This pedal is pretty straight forward, the knobs are labeled with the right text, unlike a lot of other pedals that disguise the name, like the Rocktron Silver Dragon pedal. It did come with a manual but I haven't looked through it. I didn't need to, it's really easy to use. The only thing that took me a while to understand was the mid freq. knob. // 9

Sound: I use a BC Rich Warlock, and a Peavey Express 112, 65 Watt. The pedal adds a lot of hum if you turn the distortion above about 3 o'clock, which that is enough distortion anyways, after that it gets pretty muddy. With this pedal you can get an Overdrive sound by turning the distortion all the way down, or a nice distorted tone by turning it up. It's not my favorite distortion, but when I first started it suited my needs just fine, but now, it's not enough, it sounds kinda ethereal to me now. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Who can't depend on Boss? It's lightweight and strong, I would use this on a gig any day and even without a backup. I've had it for the better part of a year with no wear and tear to show. Who can't depend on Boss? It's lightweight and strong, I would use this on a gig any day and even without a backup. I've had it for the better part of a year with no wear and tear to show. Who can't depend on Boss? It's lightweight and strong, I would use this on a gig any day and even without a backup. I've had it for the better part of a year with no wear and tear to show. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal is great for beginners if you have the cash to dish out. I got mine on eBay really cheap, it was my first pedal and I am pleased with it, I still play around the house and practice with it, it's still probably my most used pedal, although I am looking to replace it with a more versatile distortion pedal. If it were lost or stolen I would most definitely buy another one. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: ravenrage07, on july 17, 2007

Ease of Use: It is not hard to use actually. It is pretty simple and plenty of knob configurations to play around with. I didn't get a manual for it because it was used. This thing even with that said sucks. It's really hard to get a good sound out of it. it's not hard to operate, just really hard to get a good "real" guitar sound out of it. I got mostly hiss and buzz. It also eats batteries like crazy. // 4

Sound: I used it with different amps. They werent good amps but that doesn't matter because I have used it with other people's amps which were better. Marshall MG-15CD, Fender Frontman 15G, Crate GX-15 (only one it did okay with, not great), and a crappy First Act amp. Anyway it's very noisy, plenty of hiss and buzz. If you don't have a suppressor this pedal is useless. Even with one the sound sucks really bad. It has basically no tone, the only person Who could ever want this is Dimebag. it's totally super gained and has absolutely no tonality or real guitar sound it it. It just sounds like a high pitched thin buzzing. The effects are very weak and thin. Thank god I didn't pay for this piece of crap. // 4

Reliability & Durability: It is okay I guess, but only if you have an adaptor. I don't know if it will break or not. I haven't used it enough because of the terrible sound and tone from it. I imagine just becauses it's a Boss pedal that it's really tough, just crappy sound. It isnt worth the time or money. // 6

Overall Impression: I play real metal. Metallica, Megadeth, In Flames, Mercenary, Vai, Gilbert, Mr. Big, Alcatrazz, ect. I have been playing for over 5 years and have been using many pedals over the years. I use a BC Rich bronze warlock with Duncan SH-6 and SH-2. I would never buy it if I lost it. That may be a good thing if I lost it. // 6

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: guitar_hero999, on march 04, 2009

Price paid: £ 79.99

Purchased from: Nevada Music Warehouse

Ease of Use: This Was My first pedal, so it is very confusing to use, but once the instructions are read, it becomes simple. It can create many different effects, from blues to metal, although I can't get to grips with how to get the blues effect. There is also a chart that comes with the box that gives people a rough idea of what settings they need for different styles of playing. // 8

Sound: for my setup I used an Epiphone SG Gothic Pierced with A Squire SP10 and it sounded amazing once the distortion knob was up to the max. At the moment I can't give you any details on how to get your fave artists sounds but it is a very good pedal for the clean to distorted change in a song e.g Dani California By RHCP. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would say that this is a great pedal except if you don't have an A/C adaptor for it, have lots of spare 9v batteries with you just in case, because it's a serious energy drainer. However, the check liht will dim when it has low batteries so gives you plenty of warning when the batteries need changing. In spite of thisI think that this pedal would do for an entire gig, no backup needed. // 8

Overall Impression: Being Honest, this is a perfect pedal for first time buyers Who are trying to get the clean/distortion turn into a song for the verse/chorus shift. it's simple, yet effectve for a decent song without confusing ameteur guitarists. I have had this pedal for 2 years now and it has never failed me. Highly recomended *** // 8

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: davey77, on september 21, 2012

Ease of Use: This pedal is awesome in tone and over all sound, but it can be hard to use with the extra eq's but if mastered correctly there is a extremely good metal tone. I give it a 7 because it takes some time to get a sweet spot. // 7

Sound: The tone on this pedal is phenomenal! I plugged it into a cheap solid state Vox 8 inch speaker amp and it sounded like older Metallica. I then used a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 4x10s and this pedal sings and justice for all and them some! Like most reviewer write, that it is noisy but most distortion pedals are and its not a bad hissy buzzy noise that some complain about. The bottom end is nice and crunchy for palm muting. The treble in this is just right, not too bright and it cleans out single note just sound nice and chimey. The best part is the mid eq's. The mids make or break this pedal, if done right it sounds superb to me, but if too high or too low the tone sounds thin and fake. Over all the sound I got out of this is what I wanted and looking for, somewhere between Metallic's ...And Justice For All album to the Deftones "Adrenaline"/"Around The Fur" albums. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its boss, 5 year warrinty, can't beat that. I've been gigging with this pedal for 6 months and nothings gone wrong so far. // 10

Overall Impression: My style of playing is a mix of everything that's loud and aggressive, from rockabilly, punk, rock n roll to hardcore, heavy metal, thrash, and beyond. So I like loud, crunchy and saturated tones, so when I first started out playing guitar 15years ago I wanted this kind of sound from the get go. I went through so many distortion pedals, high end amps and looking at the Boss Metal Zone I thought it was cheesy to check out, man was I wrong. I use a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 4x10 with my pedal board; MXR Carbon Copy, Love Pedal Echo Baby, Love Pedal Tremolo, MXR Phase 90, Wampler pinnacle, MXR Car Wah pedal to a Gibson Classic Custom, so I was pretty happy with my set up, but I wanted a distortion pedal for my bedroom so I bought a metal zone sh**s and giggle and it was $40. It sounded awesome through this little solid state amp, then my wampler fritz out on me twice! So I needed a distortion pedal and the metal zone got the tone I was searching for 15years! Right underneath my nose all this time. I'm sooo freaking happy with this pedal, the other guitarist in our band hated when he tried it but when I got ahold of it and dialed the pedal he was jealous and wanted the same tone, my point is the most simplest things in life make the most everlasting impressions and the Boss metal zone ended my search for great heavy tone. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 01, 2003

Ease of Use: When you first see tyhis little fellow it looks very difficult. But only after reading the very clear manual and an 15 min. practice it's very easy to use it. // 10

Sound: You can get every sound out of this pedal, even for non-metal guitarists it is a very good pedal. Sounds going from Heavy Metal to that scratchy British sound. I combine it with a Marshall AVT 100, which is standard also a heavy amp, but with the MT-2 you can create the (almost) exact sound of Rammstein, Slipknot and even Korn. (I do not play a 7-string, but with heavy strings (heavy bottom) you can let it sound just right). // 10

Overall Impression: I play every style of music but now I mostly play heavy-metal. I play a Ibanez GRX-70, but I'm going to buy another guitar because this guitar (which is a very good starter-guitar) is a little to noizy. But like I said, it's a very good pedal and I think it's one of the best pedals in the world! // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2003

Ease of Use: Incredibly easy to use. If I recall correctly, it came with a battery. The only real trouble was discovering where to put the battery in because due to its design you begin to think that you have to unscrew it using a screwdriver. In reality, there's quite simply a knob you need to twist until the pedal part comes off. I originally gave it a 4 because of that, then realised it was due to my own stupidity. 5 all the way. // 10

Sound: I'm playing this pedal with epi humbuckers out of a little weeny Peavey Rage 158 amp. The effects are strong and offer a wide variety of different distortions to achieve. I noticed on one occasion where the effects weren't coming out at all, then while playing they suddenly blasted in only to quickly fade out again...the problem? Low battery! 5 here. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very dependable, however it seems to eat up battery juice like popcorn. I suggest using a 9v power adapter with it. Other than that, it's never broken on me or anything. // 8

Overall Impression: For any die hard, head-bangin rocker, this pedal is a must. Even if you turn down the distortion, you can reach great tones by twisting the EQ nobs. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 07, 2004

Ease of Use: Take a look at the MT-2 and it looks impossible but once you play around with it for about 10 mins you can create any sound from 70's rock to Pantera to Slipknot. // 10

Sound: AWSOME, the low and high end controls make it easy for you to get the exact sound your after. It's got just the right amount of det to create a clear but heavy ound and doesn't feed back as much as the MD-2. I use a ESP 2000 M-50 with ENG-81 and 85 pickups through a Marshall MG stack and with the MT the sound is unbeatable. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Quite simply it's built like a f@#king tank. I take it everywhere and it get's the crap knocked out of it and it's never let me down. The only problem is that it eats through batteries like a Fat lady in a cake factory so i recommend using an adaptor. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing metal ever since a started playing guitar 6 years ago and I've been searching for the best distortion I can get my hands on and this pedal is it. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: metallicker, on april 08, 2004

Purchased from: Bought Used

Ease of Use: Can look pretty confusing at first, especially without a manaul, as mine didn't come with one, and it's kinda a bit hard to remember what everything does until you've got into it, and by then it's fine and you can twiddle and get the sound you want. // 8

Sound: I got an Ibanez edr 470ex and a lil Marshall practice amp, and twinned with the emgs my Ibanez has this can kick out some good sounds, great varibale distortion, good high, low and mid freq setting which can give you pretty much everything you want, from Billy Talent to thrash like older Metallica and Slayer etc, brilliant range, don't think it could be beaten really! // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's a lump of solid metal moulded into a pedal I think, solid, tought, and can take a good stamping, sound. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said earlier, this pedal can match alot of types of distortion, so would suit alot of people not particularly tied to one type of effect, but it obviously can't do wah and flanger etc! I really really like this pedal, it is BRILLIANT, would definitely buy again, would recommend a second hand, as is a bit cheaper as they retail at like 75. I haven't really played many other pedals, but I do hate zooms, and this is just better anyways, you won't dislike I single thing, I don't. But one tip, buy a rechargeable battery or an adapter and remember to take out the input jack when not using it, or batteries just get eaten (which is the only bad thing really). // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 21, 2004

Purchased from: My band mate

Ease of Use: Ehh it wasn't too easy to get a sound of it took me awhile to really get the hang of everything on it but once I did it became a awesome pedal to own I've been able to go straight from a pop punk show to a full on metal show in just a few turns and it sounded rad as hell! It's easy to use basicly after you get the hang of it. // 8

Sound: The sound is pretty damn good I run it into my Crate GFX1200 head and it sounds just fine I have a problem with feed back but it is because I play at a really high volume. Sometimes I do have a problem getting my sound if back if I hit it around because its really hard to nail that same sound with it... I've been able to match alot of sounds from blink to slipknot with it. It's worth every bit of it in the end. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's pretty reliable it doesn't suck up battreys like most pedals do I can go a good 2 months playing almost everyday and it still lives! I've never had a problem with it at any show or practice I've used. The thing is built like a tank like most Boss you can throw that thing threw a wall and it would still be in one piece it's just that freakin bad ass. // 10

Overall Impression: You can go from Overdrive sorta blues sound to a punk sound to a metal sound and it sounds awesome I play in a emo band right now and the pedal is matching up with a Marshall sound which is hard at times. I've been playing on it for the past year and its great. I wouldn't probley get this pedal again because I'm on the look out for a better amp with its own great overdive tone but if I were sticking with my rig right now I would for sure buy it again if I lost it or got it stolen. It's a great pedal! Check out my band www.mistakenlytalented.com. (Sadly I didn't use the pedal to record our EP but oh well). // 8

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 14, 2004

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Ease of Use: It's easy to get a good sound. You just put the distortion up to the level that you want it to and you adjust the equalization to get the tone you want. It's easy but it also comes with a manual and presets for different syles of music. // 10

Sound: I play with a Squier Strat through a Peavey Rage 158 and when I stomp my pedal I get an awsome Metal sound. You can get all the way from The Beatles distortion to Slipknot's Distortion. Very Good Pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Had it for a week and I love it. Never had a problem yet, but I heard that the pedals can take a beating. I wouldn't know because I take very good care of my equipment. // 10

Overall Impression: If you play rock or metal get this pedal. It's an awesome pedal and its worth the money. You wont regret buying this. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2004

Purchased from: friend

Ease of Use: I got this pedal not to long ago and I think it's great. Awsome sound, anybody looking for a rock, heavy rock or metal sound this is one sick pedal for it! The manual is awsome, especially if your new to this pedal. But after playing around with it and letting the manual guide you, it's really sick pedal! // 10

Sound: I think the way this pedal is setup is great, distortion effects are awsome and you can get a whole bunch of different sounds, from soft rock to hardcore Death Metal. The only bad part is if somethings too high on your amp or pedal, u get a squeak type of sound, but otherwise really good distortion sounds. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've never had a show yet, but if I did I would not need a backup. This pedal like everyone says about Boss Pedals, it's a tank literally. I would depend on this in a show definetely and not worry about it breaking. // 10

Overall Impression: I play hard rock, metallish stuff and this is a good pedal for it! If this pedal were to get stolen I'd for sure buy a new one and then kill whoever stole my other one. I recommend this pedal to people who've never had a pedal and it's their first one. This is a good pedal to see all the types of distortion sounds. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: Martyrion, on july 02, 2004

Ease of Use: Using it is no problem at all! The EQ is very good and you quickly learn what adjustments you need for the proper sound. If you "loose" a good setting then it is no problem picking it up again, just let your guitar ring and adjust, because these tones usually stay around for some time. There is no way you can make the sound bad with the EQ, I actually tried and even though it was very different it was still good sound to fit another style of music. // 10

Sound: The good thing with this pedal is that you won't need a blues driver and a turbo distortion as well. Simply set the "Dist" level lower and you will find a nice sound for blues or even less distortion. Set it to maximum and the sound will be extremely rough and perfect for powerful metal of any kind, especially trash metal. I've noticed that some amps have trouble with this and will start "buzzing" a bit too much, so you should use something like 50 w or more, weaker amps can also work, but I would recommend something stronger, to be sure it won't do anything crazy. If the distortion is set to maximum "buzzing" will come from any amp, but the bigger the amp the less problematic "buzzing". And it makes some pretty nasty feedback sounds so you should have it turned of when you turn on your amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You can totally trust this pedal, but don't go on stage with it without an adaptor! This thing eats batteries! But it won't fail you as long as it has got a power source! // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal mostly, every kind of metal I can. And rock, and this pedal is the only distortion pedal I need, for everything from Satyricon to AC/DC. I've had this for about 6 months, and if this were lost I would get a new one at once. I really need this pedal! So for everyone who needs distorion, this is the pedal! And the price is brilliant! // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: slash_andrew, on august 09, 2004

Purchased from: Other

Ease of Use: A very easy pedal to use, hard as hell, it could resist a hammer hit and would keep functioning like nothing, the manual its good, although the settings that come there are kinda poor. And it's very very very easy to use, if you cant use it with the manual, can do it with the info on the web site,and if you cant use it with these web site & manual, you need your head to be checked. In the web site(www.bossus.com), there are more variety of settings just get into the multimedia demos, and go to Essential Effects Lab. // 10

Sound: I'm using it with a Ibanez GRX20, and a babilon Les Paul type, just like the one Justin Hawkins use. And a Ibanez AMP. You can get effects from Blues to Trash Metal, they always sound great, with the properly adjusts and settings I could get a Slash-like sound, blues lead, also I can get Metallica-like sound, and I can get others like The Darkness, Nirvana. There are some settings that make the distortion sound very bad, that if you can call it distortion, but as I've already said, with the properly adjustments, you should be able to use it and get the 100% of it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its very reliable, the only bad thing is that you'll have to use a long, long lasting 9V battery, and, if youre gonna use a normal battery unplug it after you use it, because it literally drains the battery, I used 2 eveready, and lasted like 2 or 3 hours both(really), now I am using a EnergizerE-2(The silver ones), and it has lasted like 3 weeks. I would use it for a gig, but just with a new battery, it doesn't matter that the one it has, has been there for 2 or 3 days, I'm currently looking for the Boss 9V PSA DC adapter, so I will never have to worry about batteries. // 10

Overall Impression: I most of all play blues and rock, this is a very good pedal, but to perfect it on blues I will have to buy a compression sustainer, which gives a very good sound to it or buy a blues pedal, but its hell cheaper the compression sustainer, I've been playing it for like 5 monhts, its very good. I only wish I had asked if they had the DC adapter when I bought the pedal, I would have definetly had bought it too. If it were stolen/lost I would get the same or a Blues Drive. I love that its very easy to use, and has a great sound, I hate that it dries batteries too fast adn also that I dont have the DC adapter, my favourite feature its the color, totally black with orange letters. I compared it to others like the Normal Distortion, Turbo Distortion, Overdrive, and the Distortion Overdrive, but the only good thing on those was the price (they were cheaper) but I didn't like the sound of those. I choose it because the great sound it has. I wish it had the DC adapter included, I spend too much on batteries. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: Captain Crunch, on september 15, 2004

Ease of Use: It took me about 4 minutes to get the sound I wanted from this pedal. The manual gave me 8 basic setups for the pedal (heavy metal, rock, fuzz, OD, etc.) but I didn't like how any of them sounded, so I simply learned what every knob meant and what will happen if I adjust it to a certain position and boom! I had my own sound. Its that easy! // 10

Sound: I have the MT-2 hooked up to a 15W Crate and I play a Jackson Dinky. The sound I get is right on the money and perfect for the style of music I play. With Gain set at about a 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock position it gives you good chunky distortion, sounds awesome palm-muted too. I would say, on my setting it sounds like Dimebag's distortion. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The thing is built like a tank. Drop it off of a 100-story building - it will still give you the sound you want (if I were you I wouldnt do that though). Even though I'm not good enough to play gigs, I would use it without a back-up, except I would take a spare battery. Actually that's all the thing needs - a battery or a power cord. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play heavy metal (Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, Children Of Bodom, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, etc.), classic rock (AC/DC, Guns And Roses, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Jimi Hendrix, etc.) and some blues. I have been playing about 10 months, and I got pretty good for 10 months. I compared it to Boss DS-1 and Mega Distortion, but liked this one better because the other ones didnt have the sound I wanted and for the most part sounded too "wussy" (sorry couldnt find a better word), they werent distortion pedals that would kick you in the balls and when you play them. The MT-2 gave me more of a weighty sound that I wanted because my amp distortion was to hard to operate (I had to stop playing, press the "solo" button, continue playing) and I just didn't like it. I would never let anyone steal this, and keep a close eye on it all the time. I like everything about this pedal: good chunky distortion, battery life is decent, its built like a tank and it doesnt take much brains to find the setting you like. There are no downsides for this pedal, everything is perfect (for me). // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: Hetfield1212, on september 16, 2004

Purchased from: F-musiikki (Finland)

Ease of Use: There's 8 presets on the manual that get you to a good start in figuring out how to use the pedal. Once you play around with the EQ knobs, it becomes quite easy to dial in any tone that you desire. Although this took me some time, I cannot imagine how the pedal could be made any easier to use. Thus I give it a 5. // 10

Sound: I have had the MT-2 for a little over a year now. Back when I bought it, I used to play it with an Ibanez GRX40, and a little 15w Crate amp, and even from such beginner-quality equiptment I was able to get a very heavy and satisfying sound. Nowadays I play an ESP with EMG-HZ pickups through a Hughes & Kettner 30W amp, but I rarely use the MT-2 anymore since I have purchased the Boss GT-6 which has the MT-2 built-in. However, when I tried my MT-2 pedal with this setup, the tone was just killer. The MT-2, although named Metal Zone, is not merely a headbanger's pedal, but offers a very wide variety of tones for anything between black metal and classic rock, even blues. Once you have played through the MT-2, you will probably puke when hearing the sound of your amp's distortion again. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Solid as a rock, it is. I can assure that this piece of eqiptment will not let you down, and will probably last a lifetime if it is treated with moderate respect. You can tell by looking from a mile away, that this baby could suffer a nuclear explosion without even affecting its tone. // 10

Overall Impression: I know the point was to be critical, right? But there really is nothing to criticize. This is the Ultimate Distortion Pedal. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 04, 2004

Purchased from: Hooters in st.albans

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use and can easily be adjusted to suit your prefrences. With this pedal you recieve a small manual telling you everything you have to know instead of a huge one that is full od a load of trash. This manual tels you how to set the pedal to metal, classic rock, punk, english rock etc. // 10

Sound: I am using an Ibanez RG7321 and I get a GR8 metal sound but a negative side of this pedal is that it is built for metal and metal only. I play along to ac/dc and I just cant get that GR8 sound for the likes of you shook me all night long it is also very high in treble but it is outstanding for metal. You do recieve a bit of feedback as you usally do with Boss pedals but this is only normal. I would say that this pedal is made for metal and maybe punk. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It seems to be very reliable I haven't had any problems with it yet and the battery seems to be very durable which is good but I wouyld recommend the use of an adaptor and no! it doesnt have to be a Boss adaptor even though it says it does on the box, Boss are just trying to get more money out of your pockets. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and this is brilliant for it I play with a cheap Peavy amp being the Rage 158 and it produces a GR8 sound so you can only imagine how good it would sound if it was out through a Marshall stack for example. I have been playing for almost 4 years and I also own a Boss PW-10 they are very similar in distortion sounds but I think the MT-2 is better for riffing and the PW-10 better for soloing. If I lost it I would look around at all the other metal pedals because there are alot and I have heard that Digitechs new metal pedal is exceptional but I would probably just back to this pedal if it was lost. I love the fact that the sound is just pure metal GR8 for metallica etc. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: schecterman24, on november 22, 2004

Ease of Use: This Metal Zone pedal is very easy to use. It has 6 knobs in all. In the box, they give the manual with about 8 settings from, heavy metal to british rock to fuzz to Overdrive, etc. I mainly use this pedal for metal music. I got my own sound, which is similar to Pantera. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal with my Schecter Omen 6 and my GX15 watt Crate. To hear the distortion of the pedal, you must switch to the clean channel on your amplifier. The manual says that you have to turn on the pedal before amp, which I don't do anyways. It wont malfunction. It's fun to make your own sound. My sound is heavy and distorted. It's like Metallica, Pantera, Black Sabbath and Megadeth. You can make it sound like Guns N'Roses, Velvet Revolver, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, and many more. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very reliable. It's small which can fit almost anywhere. If you're on a gig, bring batteries, but they can last for 12 hours. It says that you can buy a PSA adapter for it too, but use a Radio Shack adaptor that has 1. 5-12 volts on it. I turn to 9 volts which is the requirement for the pedal. I don't think you have to specifically use the PSA adaptor. // 10

Overall Impression: If you think about buying any kind of distorion pedals, this is the one because this has every setting for any disotrion pedals. I also own my first pedal, the DS-1, which is good, but doesn't have that big bottom distortion. I play everything, but mainly heavy metal. I've been playing for 4 years and the only thing I want is a half stack. Go buy this pedal! // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: The^Unforgiven, on november 29, 2004

Purchased from: Preowned via Internet

Ease of Use: Well, hate to start off like this, but the pedal could be a little more siple to use. If you have owned it for a while and know what you're doing, or only play one kickass tone (That you have found from it), then it's ok. But it kinda takes a while to learn how to use it. The manual is ok, there are a few settings given, and they sound pretty good. // 8

Sound: I play a Falcon Les Paul (Cheap, "rare" & DARN good) with the pedal only (no amp) through my computer, wich is hooked up to my stereo system. Or then I play it with an Ashton AG 200 and a Zoom Fire 30 amp. With the LP and the Computer, It sound f--in' unbelieveable! With my favourite setting, wich is a sharp, shredding and edgy sound, I could think that Mick & Jim from Slipknot play with exactly the same equipement. With the Ashton & the Zoom, it's fucking awesome too! It does give a bit feedback if the Level setting is high (With the amplifier), and through computer it buzzez if the guitar is near the stereo. I Maninly play bands like Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquillity, InFlames, Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Slipknot, And some various Trash Metal & 70's and 80's hardrock/heavy metal -And it never fails me! It's perfect! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I bought this one preowned, and I think it's a few years old now, but it's still in mint condition! Everything works perfect. I'd use it on a gig without a backup, yes. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before, I play Death Metal, black metal, heavy metal, trash, power metal, neo-classical metal, hardrock, glam rock, classical compeions and even some old-school punk, and it is good for everything! It's harder to find a Light-Grumpy blues tone, or a Led Zeppelin tone, but this baby does it all if u can operate it. If it got broken or lost, I'd propably try a DigiTech Death Metal Distrotion, but if I wouldn't like it, I'd get the MT-2 again. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: blink_nirvana, on december 21, 2004

Purchased from: St. Johns Music

Ease of Use: This is an excellent pedal however I found that no matter what the settings were to get a sound I wanted it was very difficult, and the pitch was a bit too high. However a manual was given, and it shows many great settings. // 8

Sound: I'm am currently using my Boss MT-2 pedal with an ok Sunrise electric (spinoff of a strat) with a 25 watt Fender Bullet Reverb amp. And it is serving me just fine! However soon I am planning to upgrade to maybe a 100 Watt Marshall Stack, and then to either the Tom Delonge Custom Strat, or a standard Gibson Les Pauls. Then I will be able to see what this thing is really made of! On some setttings this pedal gives basically no feedback, however of course there are some settings that there is some feedback but it is not very much at all! I've tried very hard to get settings of my favourie artists and I have come close (Blink 182, Sum 41, Nirvana, some heavier stuff like Metallica). // 6

Reliability & Durability: This pedal has excellent durability, it is a metal/steel frame and can take some punishment. However make sure you replace the battery before any gig, or having an adapter is an even better idea! If you have an adapter there should be no problem with it running out of fuel! // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly rock, punk-rock, and alternative. This is a good pedal to start off with however I think soon I'll find a better pedal that can suit my needs. I have been playing for only one year however I am dedicated and a very fast learner and I am already tearing up basically every tab I Pick up (i. e. Nirvana, Blink 182, Sum 41, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Metallica, Jimi Hendricks, RHCP) and the list goes on. If this pedal was stolen or lost I would not buy the same pedal. Despite it being an excellent peda, I am ready for a more advanced pedal, and am thinking of one of those pedals that have multi-effects on them. I wish this pedal didn't have such a high pitch. This pedal is a great pedal and I would suggest it to any guitarist just jamming in his basement. However anybody in a descent band or that is a more advanced guitarist should not buy this pedal without comparing it to other pedals on the market. I am currently using this pedal with my band, and I am not very pleased with it! // 6

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 23, 2004

Ease of Use: The MT-2 Metal Zone pedal is pretty easy to use after you get familiar with it. Having the mids to work with does make it a bit more challenging, but, it's good cause it gives you better depth to shape. It comes with a manual with different settings to get sounds, these are good, or you could just come up with one of your own. I put it through a GE-7 Equalizer pedal for more of a boost if you want (trust me, it's worth it). // 10

Sound: I use a Jackson KVX King V into a Dunlop Cry-Baby Wah, then into the MT-2, then into a EQ-1 Equalizer pedal, and a CH-1 (Chorus) pedal, then into a Crate amp. Sounds really good, and I get all the sounds I want. I can get a Megadeth type sound or a fat Black Label Society sound also, or a nice classic rock sound. It can range from sounding like an lite Overdrive pedal to something with good crunch. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have a spare MT-2 pedal, one that I bought off of a friend, but I would totally depend on it without a backup. I've had other pedals made of plastic and they break easier. Since Boss pedals are made like tanks, they're more reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for more than 8 years, and I mainly play metal/hard rock, but I play rock, classic rock also, lots of guitar driven music. I play a Jackson V which sounds awesome through the MT-2. I would get another one if it was lost or stolen. I like that it ranges from a lot of different sounds, from light to hard distortion and everything in between. I would rather have it and not use it, rather than need it, and not have it. I've compaired it to other pedals and this is by far my favorite. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: OldSkool, on december 28, 2004

Purchased from: Steve's Music, Ottawa

Ease of Use: The Boss MT-2 Metal Zone is to easiness as BC Rich is to scrap. What I'm saying is you couldn't possibly make is more easier. You have four knobs. One for the love. Two double knobs for bass/treble and mid/mid frequency, and one for distortion. It's deceivingly simple but you wouldn't beleive the possibilities behind that. It even comes with a sheet that tells you how to set your pedal for a fuzz, rock, Overdrive, heavy metal etc. distortion. // 10

Sound: I use an Ibanez AX120 and various amps, the amp doesn't really matter. The sound is incredible. It's a great heavy metal pedal, but it can make awesome fuzz or overdrives. They always sound great and the battery lasts long, but I'd still recommend a 9 volt adaptor. You can get pretty much any distortions you want with it, it'll always be excellent. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I totally depend, it can take a serious beating with even affecting anything. I even jumped on the knobs once and they didn't break. (Do not try that at home!) // 10

Overall Impression: It's great for any kind of distortion. But I still think it's a little too pricy. It's 139$ so I say your better off with a multi-effect like Boss' ME-50. I got it when I was still a beginner and I still use it at school or whatever because it's easier to transport than a multi-effect, but I still recommend a multi-effect. Bottom line it's a great pedal to receive as a gift, find or steal, but think twice before buying it. // 6

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 28, 2004

Ease of Use: My Metal Zone is the best distortion pedal I have ever gotten! It's super easy, very reliable, strong, and great on any guitar. My manual went threw everything I needed to know to use this thing, it even had sample settings like british rock, heavy metal, rock 1, rock 2, Overdrive, rock'n'roll, hard rock, and fuzz. This is my first distortion pedal that a friend told me about and I had no idea how to use a pedal but the manual soon changed that! I love it. // 10

Sound: I'm using a GT15 Crate amplifier with a JS30WR Warrior and the Metal Zone only makes my playing sound even better. It's not noisy, the effects are great, I can 95% of the time program it to my favorite guitarists and all effects are amazing! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would definitly use it on a gig without a backup. Me and a few guys from school made a band and our first gig was in the drummer's basement in front of like 50 people and it was absolutly awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: I usually play punk rock like Good Charlotte, Blink 182, Simple Plan, Sum-41 but most of all Green Day. Now I still play Blink and Green Day songs but not at gigs. I like them cuz they're I guess fun to do in your spare time. I now play heavy metal like Metallica. I've been playing for 6 1/2 years and I own a OD-20 Drive Zone and a crappy acoustic guitar. If it were stolen I would probably not buy another but thats cuz I'm broke. I love how awesome the distortion can get but don't like how on some settings have to be very loud in order to come out right. I wish it came with the adapter that is made for it but otherwise I think it's awesome and the battery will last forever if you unplug your guitar and amp out of its input and output after you're done using it. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: PetrucciRocks, on january 03, 2005

Ease of Use: For a few years now I've been playing guitar, and every recording I've made since I started playing had my trusty Metal Zone in there, and you could really tell how much my sound changed over the years just by shaping my sound with the EQ on the Metal Zone. If you listened to me with my settings, then listened to someone else with their settings, I'd have a unique and personal sound, and so would the other player. It's so versitile, I've used it to play metal, fusion, rock and roll, modern rock, and even for a slight jazz Overdrive. However, you can't buy the pedal and expect to get you're sound right off the bat. It took me years. All it takes to get a good sound is patience and a good ear. And a really good amplifier to make a killer live sound. I've even plugged direct into a recording device, and made some of the heaviest sounds I've ever heard. I have a decent Marshall amplifier, and I prefer my MT-2 over my Marshall distortion. I never looked at the manual, I just followed my ear. This pedal is amazing and can produce any distortion sound imaginable. Except when scooped. // 10

Sound: I use 3 guitars currently, including an early 80's Ibanez Saber, Gibson SG, and a Ibanez GAX70. I also have 2 acoustics, but I obviously don't use the MT-2 with them. The pickups in my Saber are extremely hot, and the sound I get from my MT-2 with it is beyond amazing, considering the sound I have is so cheap (around $489.99). My style is like a combination of Rush, Phish, Dream Theater, and Lamb Of God. Weird combo eh? I also use a Marshall AVT100 Combo and I mainly use it for effects like flange and chorus (it has built in effects) For pedals I have a Bad Horsie Wah, DigiTech Whammy, Ibanez DE7 (I think) Delay, Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, and a Dan Electro Daddy O Overdrive (for boost). Combined with the Dan Electro and NS-2 I get a crushing tone for rhythms, and a clean fluidlike sound with leads (gobs of sustain). I'd recommend pairing it with an eq pedal for even more tonal options, and a noise suppressor of some kind. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've owned one since '01 and hasn't failed me yet. I don't have a backup because if it ever broke I can easily replace it with my amp distortion. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly metal, and this pedal is perfect for it. I've been playing for 4 years, and it hasn't failed me yet. I love the way I can shape my own sound. It can't be compared. The only thing I wish it had was a built in noise suppressor. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2005

Purchased from: Great Lakes Music

Ease of Use: This thing is friggin' awesome. Now, I like a lot of the heavy, distorted stuff like Nirvana, Creed, Pantera, Metallica, whatever. This thing is terrific for whatever you want to play, you can get pretty much any sound you want out of it if you just mess with the knobs. I bought this thing when I had only around 2 months experience with guitar (now I have 6 months experience), meaning I had absolutely no experience with pedals, but it was still very easy to use. // 10

Sound: I use an old Fender tube amp and a standard strat with it, and it rocks, man. There's actually a lot of buzzing that takes place when I use it, but thats just from the interference on my TV. It's great for any song you want, and you can get a very wide range of sounds with the equalizer thats built in (thats what sold it for me). // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing I don't think will ever crap out, it's built like a bomb shelter and I have had no problems with it whatsoever (plus it came with a 5 year warranty if I did), and although I'm not playing gigs (yet). I would definetly trust this bad boy, but not without the 9v AC adapter, because unlike the pedal, batteries aren't reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play basically Grunge, punk, or just hard rock (haven't had much experience, though), and I dont think there's a better pedal out there for the variety of sounds that can be produced. I could definetly see myself picking up another one of these once I get the cash, because often times I like to go super distorted during a song, but it would be a lot easier to just turn on another pedal than to bend down and turn up the distortion. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: Contraband, on january 03, 2005

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Ease of Use: As soon as I got the MT-2, I played around with the settings on my strat, and I got a different sound from each turn of the knob. Althought it was used and didn't come with a manual, I really didn't see the point of one. You don't need instructions, just turn a knob and see how it sounds. This Boss pedal is extremely easy to use, it just takes some time to get the right sound, but once you've got the hang of it it'll be a really handy pedal. // 10

Sound: I expected a lot more from this pedal, but distortion is distortion and the Metal Zone is something that delivers an extreme tone. I can't say that I got the most out of the Boss MT-2 only because after playing around with it for a while, I didn't find the right sound for some of the bands I like. Although, I can't say that any setting I got vaguely resembled a sound. If I got a setting, it was very similar to what I wanted, in fact it was different/better at some times. I got the sound of some heavy things like Children Of Bodom, Metallica, Pantera and Soundgarden. Each kind of distortion you can get with this little (but loud and insane) pedal is unique. Many people have told me that it resembles the normal distortion I get with my Roland Cube 15 (Metal Stack option) with my standard strat, and I agree, which is why I can't give this pedal a perfect. I'd give this pedal a 4.5/5 because it's slightly resemblant to the distortion that my amp does and because I didn't get the perfect sound of each band. But it's all good enough, it sounds decent. A small pedal that can be up in your face making your guitar scream. The crunch on this pedal is what amazed me most. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'd depend on it no matter what happens to it. Since I don't bash it around, I doubt anything will ever happen to this pedal. I know it'll serve me well no doubt about it. I'd definetly use it at a gig without a backup, there's nothing to worry about. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly (heavy) metal like Slayer, Metallica, Pantera, classic rock like Van Halen and Black Sabbath, and a lot of Grunge like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. With My Cube 15, my Mexican Sunburst Strat, my trusty MT-2 Metal Zone pedal and of course my Seymour Duncan Hot Rails pickup on the bridge, I can achieve such an awesome sound. With the money I payed for it I could have gotten a Digi Tech RP80 which I wanted to, but I knew it wasn't reliable and that it was just a toy. I wish I had tried it out before I went to buy it though. I wouldn't have overestimated it then. My favourite setting is the Mid Freq, it gives you such an amazing sound. If it were stolen/lost I'd have to hunt down the guy who did it, take it back and bash him/her as hard as I can on their head cause I know that the thing won't break. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: X-plorer, on january 03, 2005

Ease of Use: Despite the grammatical fault in the above sub-title, this page will hopefully encourage some other guitarists to buy this pedal, because it is everything you could ever want. The controls are very simplistic, but provide excellent flexibilty of tone. I didn't even recieve the instructions and I figured it out quite easily. A little tough to master at the beginning, but with the booklet (if you buy it new) you should have great ease in controlling your tone. Overall, great "easy of use." // 8

Sound: I can pull out soft blues tones, vintage Hendrix sounds, and raging heavy metal. This suits my style perfectly, which is classic metal and the heavier side of rock (Metallica, Sabbath, AC/DC, Zeppelin, etc). But I can also play much softer things with no problem in clarity. I can pull out incredible sustain on solos and still have outrageous clarity, even with full distortion. There is also minimal noise outside of your playing on this baby. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a frickin' tank. The chassis of this monster is second only to the Dunlops, and anyone who has played on an MXR or Crybaby knows what I'm talking about. The only complaint are the buttons, which are made of somewhat soft plastic, but I suppose it's good that they absorb blows instead of being brittle, hard plastic and snapping in half. I use this with only one other pedal, my 35Q Crybaby, and it is durable enough to trust without backup. // 8

Overall Impression: I love this pedal massively. It suits my style immensely, and is also very flexible. I have only been playing about a year, but this is by far one of the best products I have seen or played. I play a Peavey Raptor EXP Plus through a Crate GX120 with a 35Q Crybaby wah, and this pedal compliments them as much as possible. If it were stolen, I would burst into flames and explode, but I'd probably buy a new one also. I really hate nothing about this pedal, and I love the flexibility, sustain, and outrageous tone. I did not compare it to other products, because I had just started playing guitar. Thankfully I recieved an excellent product, and I have made many comparisons over the past year, and none have compared, except perhaps the Dinlop MXR Doubleshot Distortion, and the MXR Dime Distortion, but this one is comparitavely well priced, even as high as it's new price is. I wish it had missile launchers and a minibar, but we can't have everything. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2005

Purchased from: Ricorda Media

Ease of Use: It has a huge variation of sound. It can go from a light punk sound to a Death Metal face melting sound. The manual was quite helpful but I got the sound I wanted from the Boss website. There are some other models of distortion made by Boss but if you ask me, I'm happy with it. // 10

Sound: I use two guitars, a BC Rich Warlock Bronze series with tribal pattern and an Epiphone Flying-V Gothic with a Floyd-Rose tuning system. I get the best sound out of my Epiphone. It creates a lot of noise. Other pedals I have are Boss Chorus-Ensemble CE-5 (which I use with the distortion), DigiTech Whammy WH-1, and the famous Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95. I once came pretty close to Dimebag's settings, it's easy to get a Metallica sound although I'm useless when it comes to finding guitarist's sounds. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's not that I can't depend on it, it's that I am depending on it no but seriously, it's reliable sound-wise and strength-wise and no I woudn't use a back-up on stage. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for a bit more than a year and this pedal satisfies me all the frieking time. I it was stolen I might have bought a MXR Dime-Distortion but I would have been sad. I bought it because I didn't have any pedals the distortion on my new amp was good but did't do the job plus so I could switch it on and off during songs. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: lickety_split69, on march 17, 2005

Purchased from: Griffiths Guitar works, nl

Ease of Use: I found this pedal easy to use, (except for the parametric controls which could get tricky for beginners) and extremely flexible. I found it very easy to dial in good tones. The manual that came with it had alot of different sounds, ranging from '70s power rock to low end heavy metal, but I tweaked with it and created my own sound. // 8

Sound: In my setup I am using a Washburn X30 with a Randall RG100SC with dual celestion seventy eighty speakers. This setup along with my MT-2 distortion pedal is truly awesome for lead and heavy rhythm patterns. One bad thing about it though is that it gives off some noise when the distortion is set high. This pedal can generate sounds from Metallica to Black Sabbath and even some '50s & '60s rock and roll tones. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is built like a tank. I have accidentaly droppd it a few times and still no marks or scratches. I would definetly use it on a gig without a backup, but while using the adapter (or pedal board) not the battery, I would never trust a battery powered pedal on stage. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alot of different genres of music but mostly I play metal or hard rock. This being rightly named Metal Zone perfectly fits my type of music, and this being a very flexible pedal it gives me the ability to use it for many different types of music. I have been playing for a few years now and was hoping for a distortion pedal at some point, and I wasn't dissappointed with the Quality of this pedal for the amount paid. If this pedal was stolen or lost I might try out an Ibanez smash box, or just go with the MT-2 again. One thing I love about this pedal was its parametric controls and its dual gain circuitry which allowed me to get a very accurate control over my tone. I compared this pedal to the DigiTech Death Metal and I thought that the MT-2 ate the DigiTech pedal. Another bad thing I found about this pedal was that it didn't have the features that pedals like Ibanez smashboxes had. // 8

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: trioxyde, on march 29, 2005

Ease of Use: Fairly straight forward stompbox. There are a few knobs, but after fiddling around with them for a bit they are pretty basic. Level, distortion, and an EQ for highs, mids, and lows. Pretty standard. The manual also comes with some presets that are pretty good. // 8

Sound: I'm running this pedal through a pretty cheap 6.5" Ibanez practice amp, and it makes the world of a difference. Previously, I was relying on the Overdrive button on the amp, which was utterly terrible. With this pedal, the distortion is nice and heavy and chunky when needed. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I got a power cord for my pedal and with that, the pedal is unstoppable. I'm sure you know about the Boss reputation for building unbreakable pedals. Without a power cord, I would definately worry about battery supply, since I've read that this thing sucks up juice like no other. Just drop a few extra bucks and get that power cord for no worries. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my first pedal and it's been great so far. It's so customizable and I couldn't ask for much more. If you're thinking about picking one up, hop on eBay and see if you can find a used one for a decent price. With the the tanks that Boss makes, you can be pretty sure that even a used MT-2 will be just as solid as brand new! // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: renz_sui, on june 09, 2005

Sound: Although I haven't used it in a decent amp, it's a very promising pedal for me because of the wide variety of sound it could make. Trust me, my Zoom 707II's drive module was deemed useless with this pedal. I use this together with my Zoom 707II, a cheap locally made 30 watts amp and an RJ 7 string floyd rose guitar. The sound was awesome especially when I use my Zoom as a Whammy. Although I haven't tried plugging this to a flanger for some low down flange of death, I'm pretty sure this will do good. I tried this one with a wah wah and it did sound different unlike the built in distortions of Zoom. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a wide variety of music, from hip hop, pop, reggae, rock, alternative, metal, progressive, visual, glam, classical, blues etc. and I think this pedal will suite most of the songs I play. If this was stolen or lost, I'll think about it not because I didn't like it but I'm still starting to use the pedal. I've been playing for 4 years now and I can say that this pedal will surely add more spice to my guitar playing satisfaction. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 22, 2005

Purchased from: Music Stop

Ease of Use: Well, for beginners it might be a dificult task. But on their website it shows a few good setups, to get a metal sound out of it. The manual, I read it, after I figured it out by myself. There's also a few setups there too. It'd only took a little while of fooling around, tweaking this and that, to get your own sound. // 10

Sound: I'm currently using a Peavey 15Watt amplifier which isn't bad, it's actually good. Also a Peavey Raptor EXP Plus. I'm saving for a better axe at the moment. I cranked it up a lot, you can never lose the tone. Like some bad distortion pedals, once you crank something it's all cluttered. I can get a Maiden sound, Slayer, Metallica, BLS, almost anything. Well there's nothing yet that I coculdnt get. The distortion is killer, if you dont have this pedal, then your missing out. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I already dropped it a couple dozen times, nothing happened to it yet. This would be my first choice to use for a gig, even without a backup. I'd have to get batteries or an adaptor. But I've tested the efficiency of this pedal, to a DigiTech HotHead. Well, lets just say mine lasted for 11 hours. The other lasted 7 or so. Big difference when you think about it. Oh I used Panasonic batteries too, so you know which kind to go buy eh. // 10

Overall Impression: Well my style is metal, and etc. Well, would I buy it if I didn't want to play metal? The name says it all. I've been playing ever since christmas, and I've got natural talent. Gonna start soloing by the end of summer. I would definitely buy it again, if stolen. It's the only pedal that suits me. Even the DigiTech Death Metal can't compare to the sounds I get out of this. I love that it's black, and easy to use. There's nothing about this pedal that I hate, but everyone has their own opinions. I dont wish that this pedal needs anything else. It has 6 controls, level, high, low, mid, mid freq, and distortion. The only things you'd ever need. Besides buying another pedal like wah, or tremelo. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 22, 2005

Purchased from: Local Guitar Store

Ease of Use: Distortion, it is the most basic guitar effect in the world of modern rock. Boss' MT-2 features gain/dist, output level, low, hi, mid and mid-freq controls. I would recommend this ped as anybody's dist pedal, especially to metal rock players. the controls are really flexible I tell you and you dont need a manual to operate it. Anyway, they should put a warning label saying: "There is an extremely high distortion available, judicious use of the dist control must be observed." // 10

Sound: Very intimidating in terms of size but Boss' MT-2 reminds me of MIB's "Noisy Cricket," You know, the tiny thing which blasts everything in front of it when fired? Getting to the bottom line. I'm using it with a Fender 1600 DSP and I have noticed MT-2's unique ability to combine bassy dists and hi sustains at the same time by just cutting the mid freq section. Just by playing with the controls you could get a variety of extremely distorted sounds and trashy metal Grunge. Trust me, the moment you plug it into your amp, you wont believe its solid state, except if your amp is already a tube amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Usually, I bring a DC adaptor when doing gigs and stuff so bag-downs due to batteries are no problem. Talking about durability, those people behind Boss really mean "durable!" Kick the ped around, drop it, stomp it (who doesnt?), throw it and you'll just get a few dings and dents, not on the sound but on the casing. But seriously, damaging the jacks would affect your performance with occasional breaks in sound or whatever. But that's common sense and nobody would intentionally kick it around unless youre already half-insane. // 8

Overall Impression: We usually play metal and sometimes we go smooth clean with bluesy vintage riffs and the MT-2 really fits all the sounds. I've played this ped for about a month and well, its still a two-thumbs-up! I've compared it with other Boss dists when I was testing each for the buy and, well, it ranks above among others. That's pretty subjective but I would really be confident to say that this ped is the one of the best. Pretty cheap for the sound it makes and that you could just save some of your daily allowance to school for this ped, in fact thats what I did. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2005

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music Company

Ease of Use: Boss pedals are infamous for their ease of use. I mean, anyone with a 3rd grade education could get any sound they want out of this thing. It's really simple. There are 6 knobs. One volume, one treble, one bass, one middle frequency selector, one middle frequency volume, and last of all the distortion volume. Now that could sound daunting (yes, six diffrnt controls), but with a bit of patience you can get any type of distortion from a bluesy crunch noise to a Lamb Of God killer distortion. The manual isn't very helpful, but that's alright because this thing is really easy to figure out. // 10

Sound: I use a crappy Yamaha guitar and a peavy guitar amp. With the Boss MT-2 plugged in, my piece-of-trash Yamaha sounds like a decent Jackson or Ibanez guitar. Seriously, it makes almost anything sound good, if you experiment with the controls a bit. It produces feedback if you turn the distortion on high (which is what I usually do), but thats expected, 'cause this is a metal distortion pedal! Otherwise, it doesnt give feedback. This pedal is great for playing stuff like Vital Remains, Lamb Of God, etc. Mostly metal bands. It can simulate blues drivers, or a crunchy distortion, but its not as good as if you actually went to buy a blues driver or crunch distortion pedal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: You can always depend on Boss pedals. That's what I learned. I've gigged with it for over a year now, and it never let me down. Even when the batteries were a bit low, this thing can still produce a blasphemous distortion! I would definitely use this pedal without backup (wait, I've been doing that for a year already) because when it comes to Boss, there's no need for a backup pedal. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Metal. Mostly thrash metal with heavy influences from Lamb Of God and Slayer. Before I bought this, I tried out a few other metal pedals (like DigiTech), but I wasn't as pleased with the other ones. This pedal is built for metal. Its been a year, and I'm still using the same pedal I bought. Though there are a few scratches on it, it still produces that sweet killer metal sound that no other pedal can compare to. If I lost the pedal, I'd go back down to the music store to get me a new one. There's no compromise. Boss MT-2 is probably the best metal distortion pedal you can get in the markets as of this day. Trust me, you won't be let down by this pedal. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 20, 2005

Ease of Use: Getting a good sound out of the MT-2 is really easy to do after you mess around with the settings a little bit and get used to them. It only took me 2 days to find a personnal sound for me and then I found another one a couple of days after that. I gave it a 4 instead of a 5 because you do have to mess around with it a bit to find what you like. After getting used to it though there is no difficulty getting a variety of sounds. // 8

Sound: The sound you can get out of this thing is absolutely awesome. You can go from semi-bluesy sound, to soft grainy like distortion, to full on thrash metal. You can get bad sounds out of it but you actually would need to try and do that. I use an Ibanez GAX70 w/a 15 watt spring reverb amp. The sounds I can get out of that are really good so I know a bigger amp or better guitar would be sick! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would definately use this in a gig w/o having a backup and I wouldn't worry for a single second. Even if you use a battery instead of the adapter you wouldn't have to worry. For a distortion pedal the battery would easily last several hours. I used the battery that came with my pedal and it lasted for 9-11 hours and I don't even know how new the battery was so for a gig it would be just fine. Being made out of metal I would not worry about stomping it to hard and breaking it. You could jump on the pedal with all your weight for years and I am sure it wouldn't break. Even the knobs are durable. I accidently step on them when I was stepping back and they still work like brand new. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock music like Staind, Godsmack, Creed (RIP), Nickleback, and many other bands and It works just fine for me. I'm not saying that I try to match them with distortion. I just tweak it till I get a good sound for whatever song it is. I have been playing guitar for a little over 4 years and when I got this pedal I tested the DigiTech Grunge, the Line 6 Uber Metal, 2 other Boss dist. Pedals and I think another one and none of them could touch the MT-2. I would definately buy this pedal if it were stolen and not think twice. I don't think I will ever need another distortion pedal for as long as I live. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: god_that_failed, on october 03, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: This pedal is pretty self-explanatory, but is still hard to get that "heavy metal" sound. If you want that chug-chug rhythm, you better get an EQ pedal (I use the MXR M-108). However, a good start (for heavy metal rhythm) is: low-maxed high-just shy of maxed mid-cut all the way mid freq. around 11:00. The manual presets are actually pretty good for rock, punk, and even as a good solo boost (Overdrive). However, you will spend a long time looking for a good sound. This is where the pedal suffers. // 6

Sound: Alright, anybody using this pedal is more than likely a metalhead. If you are looking at any other distortion pedal for metal, you are looking in the wrong direction. This pedal gives soooooo much saturation to your sound and has such a wide variety of possibilities (personally, I like '70s rock more than metal and find this pedal more than up to the challenge). The sound is very crisp, while a little nasal, but does provide lots of meat to chords and tons of saturation to your solos. All good here except for the way-too nasal sounding palm mutes. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss, do you think it'll break? Next question. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything, and while it may take a while to get a good sound, this pedal can do everything. I love this pedal and find it essential in my sound. Will definately buy another Boss pedal I'm so impressed. I only wish it were much meatier (like the MXR Dime Distortion) when palm muted, but it still does the deed just fine. After searching forever for the perfect pedal, this is it. Go to your local guitar shop and try it for yourself. You'll see what the hype is. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 28, 2005

Ease of Use: At first it was hard to change the tone of the pedal the way I wanted, as it has a 4-bend equalizer (which is more complex than meny other distortion pedals). But after a while I learned how the different knobs affected the tone. It has a manual with 4 good presets and once I got the hang of the pedal, I learned how I could alter them to the exact tone I wanted. // 8

Sound: I'm using this pedal with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and playing through various solid state amps. I have generally found that it sounds good at low sound levels, but better the louder I play. It ranges a lot of distortion sounds from a warm rock sound over punk and classical heavy metal to Death Metal. I can easily get the sounds of Metallica, Green Day, The Offspring, Disturbed, 3 Doors Down, etc. The only minus is that it sometimes cannot reach the very soft levels of distortion, but as it is called Metal Zone is doesn't invite to playing with that sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The MT-2 is very dependable. The box is made of metal and has a very solid and durable feel. I could jump on it for a whole gig without any harm on it. I do not own a power adapter for this pedal and play it on a 9v battery. The battery lasts several months even though I use it 2 hours a day on average. I would gladly use this at gigs without backup (and I do). // 10

Overall Impression: I play different genres of metal and this pedal is perfect for them all. I can get exactly the tone I want. I have been playing the guitar for about 10 years now and this is the most diverse distortion pedal I have ever played with. If the pedal was stolen I would gladly purchase is again. I has all the features I would ever need in a distortion pedal. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: kornatemymum, on december 26, 2005

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use. I really like the ease of the mid range controlls. Further more the manual is quite helpfull for use of a guide line if you haven't used any comparable distortion boxes. // 10

Sound: I'm using this pedal with a variety of guitars through a crate GFX series amp. All I can say is that the sound never fails to impress me. It's so simple to get a great distortion sound for any song you are trying to replicate. I am a big Dry Kill Logic fan and this does wonders replicating their sound, especially on songs like Rot and The Strength I Call My Own. The only time I ever get noise out of my pedal is when I have lots of reverb or chorus dialed in on my amp. Without reverb or chorus dialed in it is cleaner than Mr. Clean. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It seems dam reliable to me. I've put it through some tough stuff, but it is still as it came out of the box. I would in fact use it on stage without a backup on hand. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of heavy music. I play anything from Anal Cunt to Slayer with this pedal and it never stops performing to my expectations. My favorite feature is the mid range dials. It always impresses my how easily I can change my sound using the mid range controlls only. Its a great pedal to find your own unique sound, however it is a shame that it doesn't have chorus. If this pedal had chorus controlls on it I would be in heaven (or hell however you want to look at it). // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 27, 2005

Ease of Use: Not very easy. Has 6 knobs, level, high, low, middle, mid freq, and the distortion level. Although a nice piece of machinery, the knobs are an eyesore. Awesome piece of work. Manual is okay, and gives a couple of settings. // 7

Sound: I'm using an Ibanez RG Series(200 dollar, kinda cheap, but pretty good), and I'm using a small sucky Esteban G-10 Amp that you get with that package. They work pretty well, but when this pedal comes into the fight, it sounds really awsome. Even though I can't work well with the knobs, not matter what noobie setting I'm in, it sounds extremely nice. Mostly a hard-rock with Metallica and Black Sabbath. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Like the other pedals out there by Boss, it's built strong. I would totally trust and rely on it. I've never had a gig, but I'm sure it wouldn't let me down for the first 3 years. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly from Flaw to Metallica and it sounds really good with all withing that range. I've been playing for over a year now, and all I mostly own is an electric and acoustic guitar. There really isn't any question, just the price. Yowza, and if anyone jacked it from me, the price and sound would have me blowing up a city to get it back. Mostly I love the sound and reliability, but I didn't like the 6 knobs thing, kinda hard for me to work with, but I couldn't compare to any other pedal but the Mega Distortion, which is a very good product, I would've chosen the Mega mostly due to the knobs. So, as it all ends, I seem to find myself giving this product 8 torn off knobs out of 10. // 8

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 28, 2005

Purchased from: Rockingrooster.co.uk/

Ease of Use: Being new to effects pedals, I was recommended Boss by a friend of mine. Immediately I was slightly impressed and slightly worried by the amount of settings on the MT-2 Boss effects pedal. Although a useful Boss website and instruction leaflet got me straight up and running, and creating some amazing sounds I never though possible. I would need to play around with this pedal abit more to get the exact sound I want but great fun to play with. // 9

Sound: Currently I'm using a small 15Watt Marshall Amp (MG15DFX), which gives a good sound. And I haven't had a problem with it so far with this effects pedal. The guitar is a Ibanez SA series guitar that seems to suit this pedal well. I find this effects pedal creates most of my favorite bands sounds through one pedal. All in all I carn't fault it one bit. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can totally depend on this pedal to work and create a sound I want when I want it. Although I wouldn't go to a gig without some sort of backup, I think I would consider it with this MT-2 Boss effects pedal. Especially because of its strong construction. // 10

Overall Impression: Playing rock, metal music this pedal performs well. I havn't been playing long but this pedal enables me to match my playing to my favorite bands music and keeps me wanting to play more. If this pedal was stolen or lost I would go out and buy a new one straight away. I haven't found anything I have hated about this pedal but I'm still looking for a fault with it, which I havn't found. I did not really compare to any other products, for me Boss are the only manufacturer I would use from now on. If all there products are built and perform like this pedal then I can't go far wrong. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: tjm16, on january 16, 2006

Sound: At the moment, because I don't have a lot of gear, I am just using my Fender Squire Strat straight into the MT-2, and into a Samick 30W amp. When my amp is at an appropriate level (not too loud because its a weak amp), the level of distortion is excellent. When I used it through a Marshall 12x4 stack that I borrowed, it sounded awesome. It has a great range of sounds, from a low level fuzz type distortion (low settibgs), right through to a slicing high treble distortion (high settings). My favourite artists are The Offspring and Metallica. The Metallica sound I can get very easily with this pedal. The Offspring sound is a bit harder, and would probably be easier with other effects as well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely rely on my favourite pedal. It is my favourite pedal out of all the pedals I have ever played with. I would definitely use it on a gig without a backup. However, if there was no DC, I might take a few batteries, such a powerful pedal is likely to chew batteries (I don't know, I always use the DC). // 9

Overall Impression: I play heavy rock/metal music. The pedal I have chosen is perfect, exactly what I wanted it to be. I also own a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal, which I used before I bought this. Once I started playing with the MT-2, my DS-1 has hardly been touched. And when I do use it, it doesn't sound the same as it used to, compared to the MT-2. If it was stolen, I would chase down the bitch who took it. If I lost it, I would throw a tantrum, then go and buy it, without a doubt. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: Frostithe, on january 30, 2006

Purchased from: Some random guitar shop

Ease of Use: This is very easy to switch on and off and has a good range of controls. It takes a while to find a nice setting, but once you get there, it owns! // 9

Sound: I use my crappy little 10w Watson with my Fender Strat and it sounds incredible! A real tube amp sound, just incredible. I could play it all day and never get bored. I have yet to try it with my 30w Fender amp but I'm sure it will be amazing. If you are considering getting a new amp for a more metal/rock sound, get this first! That's exactly what I did and I may have saved myself 300. The only slight thing I have to say here is that you shouldn't turn the treble up too high because it sounds harsh (maybe you like it like that). // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss, nothing else needs to be said. It comes with a 5 year warranty so I'm sure they expect it to last. Made of metal (goes with the name) so it's very durable. I would use this again and again without considering a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and rock stuff and it fits my requirements perfectly. Metal sounds amazing with full bass, scooped mids and treble just over halfway. I've been playing just over 4 years and this is the best my Fender Strat has ever sounded apart from one gig we did with a big Marshall stack (that sounded good). If it was stolen, I'd cause the person who stole it a lot of pain with a cheesegrater whilst on the way to buy another. The two things I love most about this pedal are its cool style and inceredible sound. It's also alot smaller than I thought it would be which is good for transportation to band practices. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: EmoSlayer666, on february 02, 2006

Purchased from: Ingram's Music

Ease of Use: The MT-2 is a very outstanding pedal. Though it will intimidate novice guitarists. The control nobs will a little tough for the novice to get what sound they want. For me it was quite easy because I already knew how to work it. But don't be dicouraged, the MT-2 comes with a list of settings already draw out for you. You can choose from heavy metal, hard rock, 3 different rock stinge and an Overdrive. And you cant start with those and tweak iot out to find your desired sound. Just take time to read the manual and it will become a lot easier to use. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal with my Schecter Damien 6 plugged into a Randall RH200G2. And the sound is phenomenal. This pedal has so much cruch and when tuned right it will make you sound like Kerry King. I mostly play Slayer, Satyricon, Dimmu Borgir and this pedal is perfect for me. It gives me the sound I need to play balck or Death Metal. But I can also tune it down so I can play Metallica or maybe even some Green Day. The distortion is god like and the pedal does not make your amp humm. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't own my MT-2 very long, but I already know it can take a pretty hard stomp and survive. I'm not playing too many gigs but I do go practice with a bunch of my buddies and I'll tell you, you dont need a back up. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said I play a lot of black and Death Metal and I know this pedal will let me achieve the darknest I need to do that. And if you want it for something else this pedal is not just for metal, you can use it for rock and hard rock. This pedal work really good with my set up and if I ever break it or accidentaly smash it with my guitar I will go down and buy another one. This is probably the best 90.00 bucks I ever spent in music today. Buy it. It's so worth your time and money. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 02, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal is very nice. Although it is kinda hard to get the sound you want at start, since it is very versatile. It took me a while but the manual help me a lot and it gives you a couple sample settings which comes in handy. You can also check the net for more sample settings. // 9

Sound: I use this effect using my Ibanez RG2550E Prestige through Peavey Bandit 112. This effect is very loud, before I bought the Peavey, it was put through my Roland Cube 30 and this create a very loud sound already and sometimes I like to mix it with my Overdrive to give it a boost and it becomes very loud. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is very reliable, thats what you get for buying a Boss. I've gigged it several times and it until now its fine. No need for a back up. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for almost 6 years and through out those time, I give this one the best ever distortion effect I have ever find. I have used different effects but their not very good compare to this effect, especially this effect is very versatile, can create any sound you want. Before I use to bring three distortion effects to gigs since each creates different sound, now I just need to bring only one. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 10, 2006

Purchased from: EBay

Ease of Use: It is freakin hard to get the tone out of it, that you want to have. I nearly thought about selling it again but then I set down for an hour and tried, tried, tried. Now I finaly found the right setting(s) like the shittyfuzzless - pure metal distortion or the bassfullgain morder metal sound. // 3

Sound: I use the german Hughes & Kettner Matrix 1x12 Combo. The Metal Zone can be very fuzzy and noisy, but with the right setting you can get nearly every wanted sound. I found out, that the mid part with its freq controller is a real thousand sounds creater from death, trash, speed, doom, black and nu-metal. You can get every kind of metal sound out of it but you need patience. The sound is a killer! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think you gotta have very much bad luck to destroy or disable this pedal in any kind, because it is solid like a tank. // 10

Overall Impression: I play bimetal (mix of (hard/prog rock and metal) and I play for five years now and I can only say if you want to buy a MT-2 go to some Internet Sites and search for user presents, I tested nearly all of them and not even one was good enough for me (I need a direct but hard, a plenty distored but non fuzz/noise sound) but the presence helped me to create my own sound. I found out, that the level knob shouldn't be ober 2'o clock and that nobody has the same setting like me. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: norwegianleper, on february 20, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal can be a little bit of a pain at first, I forgot my manual in the shopping bag which was thrown away. I played with the settings for like five minutes tops and got some killer sounsd out of it (without the manual). This pedal is an overall killer easy to use pedal. I got many sounds out it in just five minutes. Easy to use! // 10

Sound: I live at two houses(divorced parents) so I dont like to carry a 100-watt monster back and forth, so I have a Behringer 15-watt and an Ibanez RG1570 hooked up to this. Sounds soo grand even out of the littlest of amps. I get sounds like Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Metallica, and Unearh etc or even rock like ac/dc, Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith and more. So versitle it will make your head spin. Just because the name is Metal Zone doesn't mean at all by any means that this is only an metal sort of thing. You can even use it to modify "clean" tones with its EQ set up. But if you especially love Cannibal Corpse this is the best pedal you will ever use, I read on their website that they use this same pedal. The only bad thing is when it is pn a high distortion setting you hear al little static and you get feedback easy, but nothing a Boss noise reducer can fix. Trust me the DigiTech metal pedals do way more static and feedback. I have borrowed different types of metal-pedals in my decision making process. But the results of those test lead to me buying this. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This bad boy carries the profound Boss name. You can through this into the center of the earth, bouncing of every rock and edge, landing in the pits of hell, sinking into satans lake of fire, and this pedal will be in perfect condition. Not even god could break this bad boy. And I have used this in a gig, just use a noise reducer or between songs or long rests keep those strings muted or die. // 10

Overall Impression: I play high distorted thrash like Cannibal Corpse or medium distorted music like Slayer pretty much, best match ever especially for Cannibal Corpse types. I own a Vox VT100 combo, this, Boss noise reducer, Boss EQ (the big one I forget the name of), Ibanez RG1570, and an Ibanez 7-string that I bought at the shop which I don't know which specific model it is. If this pedal was stolen or lost I would so buy this again! I love the versitility of this thing but mostly the thrashy chainsaw tone that screams I am gonna rip you apart. Nothing is to be hated about this bad boy except for the name. Favorite features is of course the versitlility of multiple sound styles. I have compared this (sort of) in my last section. Buy, experiment, be satisfied, trust. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: Jamband3333, on february 22, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar Gallery

Ease of Use: It's very easy to use. It comes with a booklet that gives you all the settings you'll need from heavy metal to fuzz and rock n' roll. It is made for all types of rock musicians not just heavy ones. Warren Haynes of The Allman Brother's Band has one so that tells you something. // 9

Sound: With my MT-2 I'm using a Gibson Explorer with a Roland amp. The British rock setting is the only setting that tends to get on my nerves because it has soooo much distortion and seems to sound rather like an unreachable signal on a TV. Other than that the other ones sound great. The British rock one sounds like British rock I just don't like it. Especially sounds like the actual artists that use them like the Allman Brothers Band. // 9

Reliability & Durability: You can definately depend on this pedal to run right. Although at a gig I would probably still use some type of backup because you never know with technology man it always has a flaw. // 8

Overall Impression: I play all types of rock. Punk, hardcore, metal, '80s metal, and jam. This is a good match for all. I've been playing for 3 years now and I own a Gibson Explorer, Roland amp, Boss MT-2 pedal, and a Jackson Soloist. I probably would have liked to have the money now that I used on this pedal to be an addition to the money I'm saving up for now for a multi-effect processor. But this was a good first pedal for me and has lasted throughout the last 1 1/2 years. If it were stolen I would put an APV on it and try to get it back but if it doesn't turn up I wouldn't be too heart broken. I love it's versatile tones and my favorite is probably the fuzz or rock n' roll. // 6

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: Mulletseb, on march 06, 2006

Purchased from: Archambault

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use. Not a lot of knobs but still enough to get a great deal of sounds. One level, one high and low, two mid and of course the distortion. You can get sound from Metallica, Children of bodom and other metallish thing to the '80s rock sound. I think there is another version of this pedal with an upgrade but it's more pricy. The manual is pretty simple and it gives you exemples of settings. // 9

Sound: I got a Jackson JS30DK and a Marshall 15w MGDFX to play with this. I bought the pedal because the Overdrive of that amp is not that great. It definately did the trick for the distortion problem. There is a little buzz but I suspect the guitar is the source of it. The effects are strong and sound really great. You can get the sound from pretty much anyone who plays with distortion but you really got to play with the knobs. It's even funnier though to find your own tone since there is a lot of possibility with those knobs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can definately depend on it. It seems like it's bullet proof! The thing is pretty heavy but you could drop it a thousand times and it would still be perfect. I'm not too sure though about using it on a gig. I didn't try this thing live but know people who did and they said that it added a lot of buzz to the whole sound. Even though it's a good pedal, it's not even 100$ so it's not perfect. One more thing, buy the AC adaptor with it. You can just put a battery in this but it doesn't last long. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mainly metal and this is the thing for it. It's a great addition to any gear. I have been playing for a year or so and I really like it. Before buying it I also wanted to try the Line 6 Uber Metal since I heard lot of good things about this but it wasn't available in a store nearby. If it was stolen or lost I would probably buy it again (or maybe the uber if I can get a hold of it). // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: sonixon, on march 06, 2006

Purchased from: Second hand

Ease of Use: I love this pedal; it is my go-to-guy for distortion. I'm in love with the sound. I'd been needing one for ages, because I have a ME that uses patches, that can only be used one at a time, so I need a distortion to go with it. No manual with it because it was used, but depite the fact that it has 6 controls, it's still easy as pie to get a select sound from it. // 10

Sound: I'm using it with a Peavey Rage 158 and a Squier Strat and I can still get an awesome sound. One drawback is that it's pretty noisy, but it's a heavy distortion pedal, and that's pretty inevitable. My ME has a built in noise gate anyway. I often use the really heavy disto to enchance pinch harmonics while I'm playing Coheed and Cambria songs, some assorted metal songs, and other stuff I make up. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Absolutely would I depend on it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very good match for my musical style. It covers a very wide spectrum of different distortions. Don't let the name fool you; the Metal Zone is useful for styles other than just hard rock and metal. I use it in the chain with a Yamaha Magicstomp, an Ibanez Delay, a Dano Compressor and a tuner. I love just cranking the distortion way up and playing my favourite songs with amazing tone. I haven't played without this pedal since I got it. I would absolutely replace this if it were stolen. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: AJGgtrst, on may 25, 2006

Purchased from: Steve's

Ease of Use: Bought it brand freakin new, about 6 years ago and still using it now. Has default patches on the manual, managed to like the metal one but w/ a few minutes playing around with it I found my own, easy as hell to configure. // 10

Sound: Use it on both my Westone Spectrum (single single double) set up, and my Jackson RR3 Rhoads. Have it hooked up after my Dunlop GCB, then after the MT-2 have it hooked up to my GE-7 which I use only to go get more punch for solos (I'll get more into that later) then into my CE-3 chorus, then BF-2 flanger, then into my DD-3 Delay. Settings I have on my amp is the usual "v" sweep, about 6-bass, 2-3.5-mid, 6-7-high; sounds better loud than it does on my practice amp at home. At the rehearsal space, I crank the Marshall to about a 2-3 volume setting w/ the presence all the way up. Sounds great, no buzz, any buzz I get I generally blame on my Westone (whenever I have the toggle switched up to the neck and get that single coil buzz). But other than that it sounds great. After I added the GE-7 to it, it just sounds magnificent, when I play on my own (no other guitar to back me up) I'd leave MT-2 and GE-7 in mid scoop setting to get that ultimate metal sound and crunch. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I depend on it, well it's a Boss, my favourite stomp pedal, have had it for a good amount of years now and I jump on it, stomp and just go nuts on it and it still ticks. But the rubber where the nut seals the battery area inside has just worn out, but still works like a beast. How's that for reliability? // 9

Overall Impression: Play metal, been playing for about 10 years or so, have had the pedal for about 5-6 before that I had the hyper metal pedal. This still kicks ass. If I lost it I'd definitely buy another one for sure. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: escalation_666, on may 31, 2006

Ease of Use: Well, as there's a built in EQ its slightly more difficult to get your desired tone, so I'm going to blame this fact as to why I can't get a good tone out of it. But over-all I'd say it is pretty easy to use. The manual is useful and explains the EQ and gives you some standard settings for the pedal, heavy metal, hard rock, overdrive, etc. // 7

Sound: I play a Fender Strat, a Crate 10w, Behringer X V-AMP and a MT-2 Metal Zone (plus a coupla other discount pedal bought to experiment with). It's not noisy on the whole. Unless I have my volume cranked all the way up, it doesn't give me any unwanted noise. The distortion I supose does what it says; giving off a metal sounding distortion. However I personally feel it doesn't sound very good at all. I thought it sounded good until I have my amp up past 5, from there the quality of the tone reduces greatly. Also, something that I haven't read in a review before, that needs to be said, this thing sucks for lead guitar. It should be used for power chords only. The only way I have managed to get a decent lead sound is with the treble(high) almost right down, some mid, a lot of bass and the mid freq about between 10 and 11 oclock. And even at that you can hardly hear it because the bass over-powers everything else. So, the point in that paragraph is basically do not solo with this pedal. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Simple answer; yes. It's a Boss. However, I'm not sure if I would gig with this, as it sound shit turned up. Now I haven't tried it with a big amp, but I'd imagine it'd have much the same effect. // 10

Overall Impression: I play various types of music, however I only use this pedal for some styles. To be honest the distortion on My X V-AMP slaps the metal zone with a wet fish, But I s'pose this distortion pedal almost meets the sounds of Children Of Bodom, Judas Priest, Metallica/Megadeth around the sort've And Justice For All/Master Of Puppets and Peace Sells But Who's Buying?/Rust In Peace albums. But I would say you can get most heavy metal bands sounds out this amp. Personally I've managed to get roughly everything from Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Ozzy and Black Label Society to Mudvayne, Children Of Bodom, Slayer and Cradle Of Filth out of this pedal. And on my last note, two more points. With this pedal, buy a Boss GE-7 EQ pedal, and two Boss 9v adapters for them. The EQ pedal boosts the metal zones sound so much, the pedals almost laughable playing without it after you've played with the EQ. And the adapter speaks for itself. Just do not try use batteries with this pedal, You'll be changing them more than you play it lol. And if you do unplug the leads from the pedal when not in use. // 7

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: GuitarFreak717, on june 02, 2006

Purchased from: Musican's Friend

Ease of Use: The MT-2 is a little difficult to get just right, you really have to play with it, but after that it sounds wonderful. It is really the only (good) metal effect out there, but I get great fuzzy, and even Overdrive sounds out of it, its very versitile. There is very little tone sucking, even less so than the Ibanez TS-9, etc. The manual comes with some helpful presets that sound pretty good so even if you just started playing you can get some good sound out of it. // 7

Sound: I use a '76 lespaul through a Fender projunior, sounds great. A huge plus to it is that it makes your little amp (15 watt projunior) sound like a roaring stack of tube amps. It really makes you sound big, it will not replace your Marshall stack, but then again nothing will. You can get thick metal tones or more screachy highs so any guitarist can find a use for it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very solid construction, I've droped the thing countless times, and though it looks like crap it still sounds like the day I bought it. I recemend getting a 9v adaptor, just because of the hassle of buying battries is not my thing, though you can get a good 6 hours out of a duracell. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the only distortion pedal for me. I enjoy playing rock and blues out of it, you can really get some funky fuzz sounds out of it, and there is enough gain to satisify the vast majority of metal players. I combine it with a mxr eq, a crybaby 535Q, and a Crate GX1000 reverb, chours, and delay modulator, but for the more mellow distortion needs I use a Ibanez sonic distortion (very rare, but very good pedal). I first borrowed an MT-2 from a friend, and when I had to give it back I went out and bought on a week later, and I don't regret doing so. This pedal works good on tube amps and solid state, unlike most other pedals of this type (Line 6 Uber Metal). So if you want a really metalic distortion I emplore you consider the metal zone. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 14, 2006

Sound: I use a Gibson SG and Washburn Dime 332 through a Peavey 05 2x12 combo, and I don't need it. However, I have much experience with pedals, and I can tell anyone interested in this pedal to keep moving. The only sensible use of this is as a boost, with the EQ neutral, volume all the way up and gain all the way down. However, you can get a much better boost pedal for much cheaper. Any other use for it is much to digital and fuzzy. No clarity and definition, much accredited to the lack of mids, as well as a generally poor pedal. // 1

Reliability & Durability: It's a metal chassis, and durable. You can depend on it, as long as it's not in your signal chain. // 10

Overall Impression: Good god, anyone who uses this live should be prosecuted for stinging the eardrums of the listeners (or lack thereof) with thousands of bees. Fuzzy and buzzy are the two tone styles of this pedal. If anybody is looking to reproduce Metallica's tone or Pantera's tone or whatever, forget it. Even with any other pedal, getting the artist's sound will be very, very difficult. They throw thousands of dollars into their rigs. You CAN get decent distortion pedals. However, the MT-2, with its tone at the price it's listed for, is a waste. // 1

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: klowntown101, on june 15, 2006

Ease of Use: The Boss MT-2 Metal Zone distortion pedal is fairly easy to use once the owner figures out how to properly use the equalization. Too get a good sound you can follow the suggested settings in the manual (which I'll get into later) and play with them, or just do your own thing to get your tone. The manual provided is detailed in the equalization, comes with how to replace battery information, warranty information, the Boss website and suggested settings. It is a fairly good manual and it is advisable to read it. // 7

Sound: The sound is actually the best I've heard from any Boss Stompbox. It's a very diverse pedal and you can use it for everything from light amounts of distortion too full in your face metal amounts. The pedal was used on the following amps - Marshall MG50DFX, Roland Cube 60, Vox AD50VT, Peavey Bandit, Peavey Transtube 112, Fender Frontman 212r, and a Fender tube amp (unknown model) - it sounded fine out of all the amps. Guitars used - Ibanez RGs (various), MIA/MIM Fender Stratocasters, Gibson Les Pauls, SGs, Vs, Xplorers, and many Jackson RR guitars - tone came out fine with all passive pickups (no actives used). It's a bit noisy but a noisy gate or noise suppressor deals with that - and it isn't too noisy so it's not a necessity to have a NG/NS. The distortion is never weak sounding to myself, I'm not trying to mimic my favourite artists. It's got a nice sound, but may not be everyone's cup of tea. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The MT-2 is built like a tank, I've gigged it without a backup (just have extra batteries or an adapter). It's reliable, has a good battery life. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Metal (Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Dragonforce, Children Of Bodom, Dream Theater, Opeth), Rythm and Blues, Jazz, Blues, Hard Rock, Classic Rock - no punk or anything along those lines. I've been playing for two and a half years now - I own a MIM Fender Stratocaster, a MIJ Ibanez RG, a Marshall MG50DFX, a Peavey 05 212 combo, and a Vox X847 wah pedal. I wish I'd spent more time sampling more pedals (I'd used all Boss distortion, and all DigiTech) - just wish I'd checked more brands out. If it were lost or stolen I'd probably buy a new one - doesn't hurt to own it - but my Peavey 05 212 is a gain Machine and doesn't need a pedal. I'd suggest it over the Boss DS-1, any DigiTech pedal, and the Boss DS-2 - it as a more solid tone to my ears. I wish it had a built in noise gate (but everything should really). I love the equalizer on it (Level [volume], high [treble] low [bass] middle, and middle frequency) - I don't have any dislikes about the actual pedal. Overall it's a good all around pedal that couldn't hurt anyone's rig. Make sure you do test before you buy with the exact amp you use - the tone will vary between amps. // 8

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 27, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal has a great sound. At first it was hard to figure out with the different settings. I purchased it from my guitar teacher and it didn't come with a manual so everything I know came from messing with the thing. If you take your time with learning it you can produce a wide variety of sounds with the many settings. // 8

Sound: I play a Schecter C1 Blackjack through a Crate XT120R and with this pedal it sounds great. The amp itself has good sound but when paired with this pedal you can get sounds as good as you can expect out of a solid state. I have not noticed much noise from the pedal on any particular setting. It sounds it's best at all times. I have a friend with a Peavey bass amp (don't know what model) and when you play through the amp with this pedal It sounds better than some guitar amps I have heard. With this pedal you cam achieve sounds to rival Metallica, Pantera, In Flames, As I Lay Dying, and many more heavey metal artists, But not only is this pedal good for metal it can sound like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, and Guns N' Roses. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is one of the toughest pieces of equipment I have ever seen. That is why I use Boss almost exclusively because they make tough products. The pedal I have fell out of the back of a truck travelling down a highway going 65 mph and came out of it with only minor scratches and played just as good as it did before. I would definitely count on this pedal without a backup. The only thing that might need to back this up is a couple 9-volts because it drains batteries fast! // 10

Overall Impression: My main style of music is metal like As I Lay Dying and In Flames and this pedal is perfect for those styles. This pedal is also great for rock. I play some punk and use this pedal for that too. Like I said, this pedal is great with my current set up. I kind of wish it had a manual or power supply but thats what I get for buying second hand. If it ever got lost (yeah right) or stolen I would definitly buy another one but probly a new one this time. I love everything about this pedal I have not found one flaw with it yet and have had it for 8 months or so. I also own a Boss DS-1 Distortion and it is ok and I would use it if I had to but the MT-2 is definitly ahead of the DS-1 in sound quality and heaviness. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: Ultimate_Taffy, on july 04, 2006

Ease of Use: At first I found this pedal hard to use to get the tone I had in my head out of my head and into real life. But as I used it more it became easier to use and does give a good quality distortion. There was no manual as It was free with my guitar. // 8

Sound: I'm using a carlsboro 25 watt amp and plugged into them I have either my bc rich ironbird or my Jackson performer flying V or a Fender strat. My prefered setting when playing heavy metal is just everything full but if I feel a little more technical I drop the mid lower then the high (high is usually about 7-8) and I keep the low full. The mid frequency is at 200 to give it as much bass as possible. I change the distortion acording to what I'm playing, same with the volume. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Its very dependable as its heavy duty and hasn't broke yet. It doesn't look like it will either. The only problem I have is with the dc plug I have with it but that was bought seperatley. Yes I'd use it at a gig as I have every bit of faith in it. // 9

Overall Impression: It's got for my heavy metalling and rock etc. but for anything bluesy or anything that strays too far from heavy rock it doesnt suit. I've been playing for just over a year and it works well with all my gear except my strat as it is not a heavy metal guitar. I wish I had asked for a manual instead of having to learn as I went along. If it was stolen I would replace it but if I had the money id go for something a little more expensive. I also have a multi effects pedal and however much that gives me more distorion effects this being solely a distortion pedal means its much better suited. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: Marco89, on july 20, 2006

Purchased from: guitarcenter

Ease of Use: It's a Boss MT-2 Metal zone. It has a 4 band EQ, volume and distortion controls. I suggest buying a adapter, makes it more reliable. First time I used it I had no idea of how getting decent sound out of it, lucky for me the manual gave me presets. // 9

Sound: Before I was running it over a Behringer amp, the amp's distortion was bad. I was using it with an old Boss distortion, but needed this one for the fatter sound. Now the Behringer amp is gone I run it trough a Mesa/boogie DC-3 tube amp with a Epiphone SG armed with Gibson pickups (500t + Toni Iommi sign). Now I only use it for a clearer solo tone, becouse the lead channel on my Mesa has more note definition but for solo's I use the metalzone. On the right settings it allways sounds awesome, thick, heavy and brutal with a nice crisp edge. But the bad thing about it is, it delivers by the name: Metal. It's only usuable for metal, hardrock and bleussolo things. For slight overdriven classic rock sounds it's useless. For me sometimes it's just to fat. I give it a 9 becouse the metal realy sounds killer, if you're looking for that, here is God! // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss, build like a tank. It's real reliable, one time at a show there was beer all over it and it didn't feel a thing. Just doing the job! Normaly I'm nicer to my equipment. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock and metal things, now with the band we are going more to a Velvet Revolver direction. And the lead channel on my Mesa/Boogie is better for that becouse it has more definition. The Boss is a bit to fat. I still use the Boss for nice sharp solo's that the Mesa just can't give me. But I throw a bit creamy Overdrive tones in from the Mesa clean channel wich makes it more bleusy. For metal, fusion and shred this thing is God, and I love it. If it was stolen I would definately buy it again! // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: 444648, on august 03, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal is fairly easy to "make noise with" but it takes a bit of finesse to get the two EQ nobs to just the right tone. The lack of a manual didn't help, but a small booklet on Boss pedals gave me some ideas for tones. Not ver well designed but not bad at all. // 6

Sound: Once you get all of the little tiny knobs and dials set right you can extranct a pretty good sound, but at higher volumes and distortion rates it adds in a butt of static. By mixing it with an amp with built in distortion, and turning both the amp and the pedal to full you can get an extremely harsh feedback tone (kind of like the Jimi Hendrix Star Spangled Banner) from the guitar. I usually end up using the pedal unconventionally but no matter how you use it, it is a good pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had it for about two years and it's always been perfect, nothing ever goes wrong. Ocasionally the screw to the battery compartment will come lose, causing the pedal to take a wild leap into the air, but nothing seriously wrong besides the fact that the tone is a bit subdued if you don't have it set up just right. // 9

Overall Impression: The distortion level is extremely variable and can give you anything from a bit of Overdrive to all out Death Metal. Overall I would suggest buying this to pretty much anyone except people just starting out on the guitar because it might be a little difficult to extract the tone you want from the weird EQ setup. // 8

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: boboguitar, on august 08, 2006

Ease of Use: When I first looked at this pedal I was confused. But I looked in the manual and it had a bunch of different settings to get different sounds for it. Now I can use it very easily. If you want to get this pedal used, you should find the manual on-line so you can find all the different settings. // 9

Sound: I'm using the MT-2 with a Squier Telecaster Custom and a Roland Micro Cube. This is probably the only distortion I'll ever need because I can get so many sounds from it. I usually use this pedal for getting sounds of AC/DC and other stuff like that. It sounds amazing if you're playing metal (hence the name "Metal Zone") but no matter what kind of music I use it for it sounds great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would always depend on this pedal. I don't gig, but if I did I wouldn't have a backup pedal, but I might bring some extra batteries if the place didn't have any outlets, which I always use. When I'm messing around at home, I stomp on it like crazy and there isnt a scratch on it. It's almost entirely made of metal, so I don't think it would break very easily. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about a year. I play mostly metal and hard rock. Not only can I get those sounds, but almost any other style of rock or punk. If this thing was stolen I'd be really ticked and then I'd get a new one as soon as I could. I was looking to get a new distortion and was looking at a bunch of other Boss effects, but this one was so versatile, I just had to get it. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: hokiecmo, on september 13, 2006

Ease of Use: This unit is somewhat difficult to find a good tone with, but once you find it, it's by far my favorite pedal. All it really takes is playing around with the settings and you can find some great sounds. Its features include: gain, 3 band EQ, and level. The EQ has bass, middle, middle freq., and treble. Standard Boss stompbox and input/output jacks of course. // 8

Sound: This is the best part of it to me. I can get anything from Jimi Hendrix to Dimebag. I use it with my Custom Fat Strat and a Marshall amp. Turn the gain almost all the way down, fix the EQ and you got Hendrix, love the tone for Foxey Lady. Turn the gain all the way up, turn the bass and mids up a bit and you've got Dimebag. I find it to be pretty versatile, but you can also get some pretty horrible sounds with the pedal if you don't bother to mess with the EQ controls. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had any trouble with it as of yet, but I also haven't had a gig with it either. It looks and feels very sturdy, as most Boss pedals do, so that's really all I can go on for that. I have dropped it a few times actually though and it has held up well. Travelling with it doesn't seem to be a problem either, as I take it back and forth on 200 mile trips all the time and I just stick it in an extra pocket on my guitar bag. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great pedal for rockers and metal heads alike. I've been playing for about a year and 9 months now and I've really enjoyed being able to finally get the tones I wanted. I've only tried it through my strat, since my Kingston has been out of comission for a bit. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely buy a new one to replace it. I just love the sound you can get, but hate the time it takes to find it. The ease of use is my only complaint and it's not really a complaint, it just takes a bit of timie. The reliability and durability seem to be great and this pedal has great capabilities. It's my favorite pedal of its kind! // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: Greenday389, on november 20, 2006

Ease of Use: It's very easy to get a good sound out of it. This think rocks. The manual is good but I doubt you need it. I didn't need the manual. IT hasn't been upgraded yet. This is a realy easy pedal to use. All you have to do is EQ it to your amp's EQ then tweek the gain and level to your liking. // 10

Sound: I use my Dean Custom through the pedal to my Behringer Ultraroc GX 110. It's supposed to be noisy. It's metal, it's brutal it's awesome. The distortion always sounds great to me no matter how high or low I have it. I can get a Metallica sound out of it. I bet I could get way more people's tones but I use my own instead. This pedal is a distortion pedal. It's very good. I think the distortion is too dry, but it is a distortion pedal after all so it's supposed to be that way. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank. Very dependable. I would deffinatly use this at a gig without backup. I have an adapter so I don't need to wory about batteries. I'd hate to worry if the batteries would die. The knobs havn't fallen off and the plastic screw hasn't loosened at all. This is what all pedals should be built like. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and classic rock. This thing works wonders for metal. Not so much Classic rock (I didn't buy the peddle for classic rock anyways). I've been playing for 3 1/2 years and I own a Peavey Rage 158, Dunlop Crybaby from Hell, Behringer V-AMP2, Behringer Ultraroc GX110, and a Dean Custom. If this were stolen I'd either buy another one or beat the guy up. I love how it's just so plain asome. I like all of it's features. I compared this to the Line 6 Uber Metal, and the DigiTech Death Metal pedal. I chose this one because it was beter than those two. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: subzero3009, on december 04, 2006

Ease of Use: It is pretty easy to use. Just have to set up the eq on your amp and pedal (which you always have to) and rock out. It's really good as a Switch for an amp because I set up the volume and put it on clean so I can switch to it with the same volume to git a killer sound in the middle of songs. It's really easy to use, straight forward, nice EQ. // 10

Sound: I have used 3 amps with this pedal. All of them are cheaper models but the metal zone sounds amazing with most of them. I have ran it through a Fender Frontman 15G (I bought it from a friend for some of my students to mess with), Marshall MG-15CD (my daily routine amp), and a Crate GX-15 (my dad already owned it). The Fender is very clean at first and you put this on it and it's really loud for the size, pretty good sound. If you are playing modern that's really good. I put it through the Marshall and that was just my sound of choice, really nice, if you stand away from the amp it's really good because the static level goes down. With the Crate it sounded kind of heavy tubish, because I cranked up the mids on both of them. Sounded pretty Vintage metal. It was good for some of my artists stuff, it is good when you are playing stuff like "Smells like teen spirit", anything by Metallica, anything by Slayer, Megadeth, Children Of Bodom (if you set it up right), and very nice with Arch Enemy. The effect is one effect mainly but the eq is really good for setting it up. Very heavy, and you can go just about anywhere with heavy metal on this thing. Along with heavier rock stuff. I didn't really mix it with much else, I have messed with a chorus on it and that sounded pretty wicked if you can get it right. It does overdistort somewhat, but as I said get a noise gate, or something to help that. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guy that I got it from was telling me that the battery drained out really fast and the input was something wrong with it. When I played it, it was amazing. I have had the battery in it for like a few weeks and I play for hours a day, and it's a cheap Dollar General battery and it still hasn't failed. It's life is much better then a metal master with a 9V battery. Sounds better too in my opinion. I would definitely use it during a gig. This thing is extremely durable, the chasis is very hard, it's not that heavy. It's good for about any sound, I am not big on the scoop sound though when you kill the mids and contour because it is just to buzzy sounding. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definitely a good pedal to get if you are into any kind of hard rock or metal scene. If you solo with it on a neck pickup like my Seymour Duncan SH-2N (Jazz pickup) it gives you an amazing sound. It's a very good warm sound on a neck pickup and a very hard attack on the bridge. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: ckmma, on december 06, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal although to me was my first pedal, it has got to be one of the most complicated to use as it has 6 knobs to change, although one is the volume. The manual those give good instructions on how to make it do certain sounds, as well as the Boss website, under the demos of the pedal. // 8

Sound: By the name, you can tell it's for the distortion, and it's very good at customising, as there are a lot of setting to change to, to make it your own customised sound. I use this on my Yamaha Pacifica which is complete crap but makes it sound good. I use a Line 6 75w amp and so I also you a noise suppressor to stop the bad feedback. I find that the sounds are quite unique, although when you hear it, it doesn't feel heavy, when recorded, it feels almost as heavy as some of my favorite metal bands, such as arch enemy and Children Of Bodom. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is very durable, I have accidentaly dropped it a few times and it shows no sign of damage. It's also very good for stamping on as it is a pedal, instead of some which are more sort of bottons. I haven't done a gig yet so I can't say about how reliable it is then, but considering it hasn't let me down in over a year. // 10

Overall Impression: This thing is practically essential to my sound until I can afford a decent amp, I get the nice heavy distortion when I need it, and when I need it heavier I can use my equilizer. I only use Boss pedals because I was recomended this pedal and loved it so I decided to buy mostly from Boss, I only have at the moment the metal zone, equilizer and the noise suppresor but my interest in Incubus is leading me to buy a phaser and a chorus as I have started wanting a clean sound. if this thing was stolen I would have to get straight to the shop because I don't know how I would enjoy playing guitar without the metal sound I get from this. this thing compared to the death metal distortion by DigiTech is slightly better, I say this because I tryed them both out before I bought them, I decided I wanted this one as it had more range of sounds for 10 more. I couldn't really ask for anything more from this, if it had a memory to remeber the settings then cool but they already have those and they are very expensive. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: The AfterLight, on february 03, 2007

Ease of Use: I lost my manual for the pedal within the first week of buying it. It was my first pedal and I didn't have much experience at the time, so I didn't use it for quite a while. However, in the past couple of years I have rediscovered it. Even without the manual, you could figure out some pretty nice sounding settings. Really easy to use once you find what you're looking for. // 9

Sound: I use it on my cheap warlock rig as well as my Gibson SG. Makes both guitars sound great. It's able to get a punchy, raunchy, or even a crisp distorted sound. Plays anything from Metallica to Sugarcult to Clapton and to the Sex Pistols. Pretty great sound if you get the settings right. // 10

Reliability & Durability: "Tank" is the only way to describe it. Or bomb shelter. This thing cannot be destroyed, it's very durable. I've never had a need for a backup because of its extreme durability. One fault is that it eats batteries up, but that problem can be fixed if you just remember to unplug every input. // 9

Overall Impression: Because I play absolutely everything, it was necessary to find a flexible, diverse pedal. It works well for me and hasn't let up in the maybe 4 or 5 years I've had it. The only thing I would've wished for was another manual so I didn't feel so discouraged the first time I bought it. Now that I know certain settings, I have fun playing with my tone. I suppose I could buy another distortion if I just happened to lose this one, but I don't think I'd be as satisfied. Gives a great tone, is built like a rock, and is able to satisfy many genres and styles of playing. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 15, 2007

Purchased from: SoundControl Southampton

Ease of Use: Fiddle with the dials for a while if you don't understand frequency settings on the built in EQ, and you'll be tearing Slayer themselves a new asshole. Distortion can go overboard on some settings, takes a few minutes to fine-tune. Not good if your little brother-sister, wife, or any other annoyance in your life plays with the dials. Can amplify input from the instrument, which is very useful. The manual wasn't needed, but included some cute diagrams for newbies on how to set their guitars up for things like "british rock" and "heavy metal". Altogether, satisfying but possibly difficult for new users to set. // 9

Sound: I use a Line 6 Spider III 4x12 cab with Spider III head. Very loud, surprisingly little feedback. I play a B\.C\. Rich NJ Warlock, with 27 frets (baritone) and it produces only slight feedback when turned up to full volume. The presets Line 6 is known for are great for combining with the pedal, but if using a distorted preset and a distortion pedal, you may end up with a disgusting crunchy sound, not that great at all. Effects are always powerful, moving and awe inspiring from such a small pedal. I can achieve sounds from artists like Killswitch Engage, Job for a Cowboy, Muse, Razorlight, Meshuggah, Cannibal Corpse and The Haunted. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Dependency is everything. Nothing worse than gigging and ending up distortionless due to pedals kicking the bucket, so to speak. This pedal is physically unbreakable, made from sheet steel. weighs a ton and a half, probably could work as a bulletproof shield for when you get out in more rough venues. Or you could lob it as a crazed fan, might shatter their skull though. I rate it a ten just for it's sheer weaponry capabilities. they should equip the FBI with these things. Battery life is a real drag though, so get the adaptor and plug it in! // 10

Overall Impression: Metal, Deathmetal, Grindcore, NintendoCore, Cheesemetal, Bimetal, Symphonic metal, and smooth love ballads. Oh, and sex on the beach. Been playing 8 years, I own an Ibanez Ergodyne bass as well. I buy all my picks from Ebay, and they are all made from either copper, aluminium or steel. Preferably magnetic. I would buy again, no doubt. I love its looks, sound, colour scheme, robust quality, and generally it in itself. I compared it with every other similar product by Boss and it stood out a mile. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: demonshred, on february 15, 2007

Purchased from: Ad Lib Music

Ease of Use: The pedal is very to get the sound out and user friendly and very easy to use.The Sound Is easily achievable, and with room to expirement for sure, The manual comes in handy but it's only a template for sound settings. You can easily make your own sound with experimentation. // 5

Sound: I used a Jackson King V on it A Steve Vai signature Jem and a cheap strat with a Marshall MG100DFX and A 100watt Crate amp and it sounded great.I decided to set my own tone and it suits generally all metal sounds. It is noise free with the good pickups on the guitar but basic strat pickups buzz. The sound is always good providing you use a Boss 9v adaptor but with the battery you have'nt much optimal perfomance. It is good for all your favourite bands from settings to heavy metal to blues, jazz, rock whatever I listen to Maiden, Trivium, Metallica and Megadeth mainly and it's perfectly suited to that sound, and with dropped tunings a death metal sound which is good too. The distortion is excellent just unbeatable compared to other manufacturers distortion pedals. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Its generally reliable but if you leave in the wet it obviously wont work, but inside it's very reliable never had problems with mine had it for months now and still sounds good. I would say you could go on a gig without backup, I am confident about that I used it to play practice sessions in a cold hall and it ran perfectly. // 5

Overall Impression: I play mainly metal and shred and the sound matches very well. I have been playing over a year I also use a Marshall MG100DFX, Korg Tuners, Dunlop Picks 46mm to 1mm depends on the grip type, An Aria STG.3 Stratocaster and a Jackson Dinky Pro. I would in a flash repurchase one if mine was stolen. I just love the tone there's nothing I dislike about it my favourite is the middle tone knob and middle frequency knob great benefit. I compared it to the Boss DS-1 and MD-1 and DigiTech Grunge pedal and there was no comparison between all. I choose the MT-2 because I tried it before purchase and sayed wow! I had been playing off a 10 watt Practice amp and was'nt use to playing good distortion. I wish the MT-2 had a countor knob like the MG's settings. // 8

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: MeTaLhead90, on march 26, 2007

Purchased from: skip's music

Ease of Use: Very easy to get a great sound out of this thing. I like to scoop the mids and it sounds very good. I didn't get the manual for this thing but it's pretty easy to use. not sure if this thing has been upgraded or not and I really don't care because I would never part with this. // 10

Sound: I am playing on a Dean ml xt through a Marshall MG30DFX. this thing is great, I love everything about it. I listen to artists like pantera, Sepultura, soulfly, Slayer and Metallica. I don't try to emulate my favorite artists tones or anything I try to work on my own sound and and with this thing it's sounding pretty good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: What do I say, it's a Boss. I don't think I would need a backup for this thing. Boss pedals are pretty much rock solid. I thought I was having a problem but come to find out it was just my 9v adaptor which I got rid of. It's all fine now. The adaptor has been replaced and I haven't had any problem with it yet. // 10

Overall Impression: I play very heavy metal and this thing gives distortion up the arss. Any other pedal I have to crank the gain up to 10(or whatever the highest setting is), but on this thing I play with gain up a little over 3/4 of the way. I've been playing for about 2 1/2 years and I play on it with a Marshall MG30DFX(which is about to change) and a Dunlop crybaby wah. Other pedals have only tone volume and gain knob but this thing has your treble (high), bass (low), midrange and midrange frequency. If this was stolen I would go on a shooting rampage and if I absolutely couldnt find the guy I would break down and buy another one. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: ClaimYourVictim, on april 19, 2007

Purchased from: Toms River Music

Ease of Use: I got it free from a friend a while ago, he didn't like the sound of it but I gladly took it. I love this pedal, the distortion is really easy to work with, because there are 4 knobs with 2 mini-knobs on the treble and middle, for extra adjusting. It's not black, like everyone else says it is, it's dark grey with orange font (not that that's important or anything). // 9

Sound: I personally like the pedal's overall sound. It reminds me of the early thrash metal tones like Slayer, Metallica, and others. The only thing I don't like about it is it gets way too trebley for my taste and it sounds hissy. But I know of many people Who own this pedal, and I can see why. It's surprisingly easy to get a lot of different sounds from it. You can even get an aggressive punk sound out of it too, very versatile. It gets nice and bassy, which I like. it's sound character is really good for leads, and I like the middle register of eq you can get out of it, and I tend to put the middle knob up higher than I usually do. I am using this pedal with my Ibanez RG350MDX and Ibanez GAX70, with an Ibanez Tone Blaster halfstack. I don't like to play the pedal over the distortion of the amp, because there is so much gain that the channel goes nuts, so I use it on the clean. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely depend on this pedal. It's genuine Boss and I also own a Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor. It's strong and durable and it has rubber grups on the bottom so when you stomp on it, it doesn't slide anywhere. I would use it live without a backup. It is reliable and durable. // 10

Overall Impression: Honestly, if it was lost or stolen, I would not buy it again. It's way too metally and has way too much gain for my preference. I have played many effects pedals and I enjoy them, but this one is not for me. It's a great pedal and all for what it is, but it's a little too heavy for me. I got it for free from a friend, so I'm not complaining, and at least I didn't have to pay 100 bucks for it. // 3

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 25, 2007

Purchased from: Steve's Music

Ease of Use: This pedal has got to have the best sounding distortion I've ever heard. You can choose if you want to play with heavy metal distortion, Overdrive, or even british rock with this. I haven't found any of my own good setting but I use the Heavy Metal setting. The manual shows all the settings you can put it on. It also has the electrical stuff your supposed to read and crapola like that. It is fairly easy to get good sound out of it, but making your own settings, and making them sound good, is fairly hard. // 9

Sound: I am using the pedal with an ESP LTD AX-50 guitar and a weird crappy amp. Even with the crappy amp, it sounds insane. Imagine what it would sound like with a good one. It is the loudest pedal I've gotten so far for the heavy metal settings, it blows your mind. It always sound great even with low battery. it'll work great until the battery dies. With the Heavy Metal setting with the distortion on full, I can get pretty close to the sound of Killswitch Engage and As I Lay Dying. I really don't like the british rock setting on it, they could have put like a different metal setting but overall it's really good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can definitly depend on this pedal. I have dropped it numerous times on the ground when I am bringing it to my band's place and it still work's like it was Brand New. I wouldn't even have to think about having a backup pedal for this pedal. I don't think it will ever break. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I am extremely satisfied. I play MetalCore music and it works perfectly for it. I don't think I could find a better match for MetalCore music. I've been playing for 2 years now, doesnt't seem that long but I'm like 10 better then some people I know who have been playing for 4-7 years, it just doesnt't compare to any other distortion. I wish I wouldve asked before I bought this pedal, "Why is this pedal so god damn good?" Other then that I have no complaints. Heavy metal setting is the best one, just screw around with the amount of distortion and you can get it sounding like any thing. If this thing got stolen, first, I'd beat the crap out of whoever took this peice of magic from me, then I'd go buy another one. This is, the best distortion pedal ever. Period. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: RX120D, on may 02, 2007

Purchased from: Melody Music

Ease of Use: I got an amazing, beefy and clear tone out of this thing in minutes, the manual is clear and concise, the tones they provide in the back are okay but try to get your own sound. The batteries die quickly but to replace them is the easiest of all pedals, one screw and your done, no tools. My unit is stock, I've had it for about 2 years, and it's still perfect. // 10

Sound: Right now, I am using a modded Jackson JS30RR running through a Boss PW-10 Wah, to the MT-2 then a multi effects through the effects loop on a Randall RX120D Half stack. A lil noisy at high volumes, my settings are (vol:12 o clock/high and low:2 o clock/mid:10 o clock/mid Freq:12 o clock/Dist.:4 o clock(barely before max) and it sounds amazing. I can get all my favourite tones through this baby. I love Metallica, and this pedal is definetely worthy, and I also play a lot of bodom and this pedal is perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its the most dependable pedal I own along with my Boss PW-10 wah, Strong, cool looking too. Two years of hardcore stomping and it still works without fault, no break-ups, no sctrachy sounds wehn the patches are moved and the connections are tight so your patch cords wont slip out. I would definetely play a gig with no backup. It's that reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, from NWOBHM and Bay area thrash to black metal and some metalcore, suits all styles perfectly. I have been playing for 5 years, I have tried many dist. pedals before I got this one. it wiped the floor with all of them. If it was stolen, I would cry. If I lost it I would find it lol. I love everything about the pedal, the only thing I don't like is the adapter. Garbage, it burnt out after 6 mths of use. my favourit feature is the mid frequency knob, you can achieve almost any tone with it. I compared it to, Line 6 Uber Metal, all DigiTech dist pedals, a Maxon and an MXR pedal and it cut through all of them with ease. The only thing I wish it had would be a noise gate. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: H1ghGa1n, on may 30, 2007

Ease of Use: It actually took me quite a while to find out how to get a desirable sound out of it. I still think I would rather have a nice tube amp, but this pedals pretty nice for the price. I read the manual and it gives you some presets and shows you how to work the pedal and where the battery goes and stuff, so it's rather useless if you just take the time to examine the pedal and play with the knobs. // 9

Sound: I've used all of my guitars through this pedal. And they all sound good except my warlock. It's not too noisy and if it gets noisy just turn down the volume or the distortion a bit. The pedal always sounds good unless your guitar has horrible pickups. I can get the sound of my favorite artists with a bit of tweeking. I've gotten a sound similar to Petrucci's rhythm guitar sound. It can really do any sound you want it to with some tweaking but it's the easiest to get a metal sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: In terms of Reliability & Durability it's a Boss of course I can depend on it, and if I gigged with it I wouldn't need a backup. Most Boss pedals you can say the same thing about because they're practically little tanks, although unlike a tank it's harmless, well unless your hurling it at someone but why would any one do that? // 10

Overall Impression: My over all impression is I play a lot of everything, and it's a great match for that. It's an incredibly versatile dist pedal and I recommend it to everyone, but I'd save for a nice tube amp if you can. Still get this pedal if you need to make a crappy amp sound metal! // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: iheartemo69, on may 31, 2007

Ease of Use: All I've heard about this pedal were good reviews, so you can imagine how disappointed I was once I hooked it up. I was searching for the perfect distortion pedal, mainly for metal, but capable of other diverse distortions. Well, this one didn't fare so well with my 70-something Fender Twin Reverb. It was impossible to get a decent sound out of it, not to mention the amount of feedback it produced. However, it worked decently on my 10" Crate SS amp. // 3

Sound: Like I said before, I have a 70-something Fender Twin Reverb (tube, for those who aren't familiar) and I play a Fender Jag-Stang. Now, the Jag-Stang is by no means a "heavy metal" pedal, which is why I was looking for a good distortion pedal with an equalizer and such to boost the lower tones that my guitar lacks. Upon hooking up the MT-2, there was immediate feedback and I was standing 8 feet away from my amp! Even after playing with the many knobs (which was one of the selling points for me) I still could not get the crunched-fuzz I wanted. I even tried the presets suggested in the manual, but nothing sounded as it should have). I know it was not my amp, because when I tried the Line 6 Uber Metal (albeit it has a built-in noise suppressor) it worked beautifully (even with the feedback gate turned off). It does, however, sound decent with a solid state amp. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I never trust batteries, so I definitely would have bought an adaptor, had I purchased this pedal. I know someone who owns this pedal, and they have had it about 6 months or so and have only had to replace the battery once so far. He has never had a problem with it cutting out or the knobs breaking off, and it's in mint shape (I know this because I have seen it and heard him play it). He's used it for many gigs, and it has worked extremely well for him. The design was sturdy, as I had dropped in a couple times and nothing happened to it cosmetically or functionally. Definitely a bonus for those who gig. Very durable! // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal/screamo music, as well as some classic rock (Zeppelin, Sabbath) and this pedal just didn't cut it for me. Like I said, I compared it to a Line 6 Uber Metal, which kills the MT-2! If it had a built in noise suppressor then maybe it would have worked out better. Since I never bought it, I would not replace it. But it's all personal preference. To each, his own. // 4

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 22, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal takes some getting used to, as the three-way EQ looks a little overwhelming at first. I mean, there are tone controls inside tone controls! But once you get used to the adjustment process, this is one easy pedal to use. The manual gives a clear explanation of the adjustment process, and even gives you some setting examples that you can build your own tone from. Overall, it's very user friendly. // 9

Sound: Finding a pedal that flexes with the styles I play, which range from blues and classic rock to metal, is not easy. Then I stumbled across this baby. It's the only distortion that I'll ever need. I know that it says Metal Zone in big Orange letters on the front (and yes, when set right, this thing will unleash ungodly amounts of distortion), but it does so much more than that. I can get everything from classic SRV/Santana crunch to Hanneman-worthy shrieks. This pedal is very versatile. The only caveat: switching from a clean channel to to this pedal does take away some note definition and some volume. It can get a litlle annoying at times, but most people won't notice it (unless you are a seasoned pro or a studio man). The sound also can get a little thin on certain settings. I run it with my Marshall DFX-50 and an '04 black Fender Standard Strat. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss. 'Nuff said. It's built like a tank; I've dropped it and stepped on it at night, one of my friends kicked it into a cinderblock wall accidentally, and I still have no problems with it. I don't really gig, but I would take this anywhere without a backup. Giggers, I'm warning you now in case you don't know: Boss pedals are battery vampires. They suck them dry so fast. I highly recommend getting the plug-in power supply for it. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a definite keeper. In my seven years of playing, I have never used a pedal that was more fun than this one. If I ever lost this or if it got stolen, I would get another one within the week (depending on if I can get a ride somewhere, as I can't Drive). I love the tonal ranges and the just plain fun factor of having something that goes from a slight crunch to white noise. Like I said, when you Switch channels (from clean to this pedal) you will lose some volume and note definition. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: acdc_rocks_1992, on july 13, 2007

Purchased from: Sobers Music

Ease of Use: I find that this Boss MT-2 is one of the easier pedals to use. It also has some great distortion that any musician can't go without. It has a 4 knob equalizer low, middle, middle frequency and high it also has a volume knob and a distortion knob. One of it's features is natural bypass and you have the option of a 9 volt battery or a 9 volt adapter. It is impossible to compare this pedal with any other it has a tone of it's own. // 9

Sound: When I play with the MT-2 I use a berhinger guitar and a berhinger amp and still with the crappy little amp that I have this pedal makes it sound like a Marshall stack. With this metal zone distortion you can top even the coolest of tones it has everything from so heavy you think you'll die to very light and calming distortion. The knobs on this pedal are very sensitive if you move the knob a hair you can change your whole distortion. The only thing that's bad about this pedal is when the battery is almost dead the tones are crap you get like a mix between black dog and jack white. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is one of the most dependable pedals money can buy. I could play a gig without any concern that the pedal will quit the only thing I have to watch out for is the 9 volt adapter I have troubles with it but that's about the only trouble I have with it. It is also a very durable pedal it will last a long time and looks like it could take a lot of damage before it quits working I'd feel safe to drop it, it fell like 10 minutes ago it's fine. // 10

Overall Impression: I play well most of the time lighter stuff like dire straits but the odd time I play heavy stuff and this pedal will accomodate all of my distortion needs and then some it has lots of bite and can take a lot the only thing to watch is make sure that your battery doesn't die other wise it will sound like crap but other then that it's a great pedal. I compared it too Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff in the end I bought the Metal Muff because the MT-2 wasn't in stock they only had the one for show but I have it now. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: Tiamat, on july 16, 2007

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: This pedal made by Boss is a great sounding pedal that I have found very easy to use and to make some great sounds. The pedal has a 3 band EQ, with two dials available for adjusting the mids (one for boosting/cutting the frequency you set using the other knob, which is to set the frequency of the the middle range). There is also level and distortion dials. The knobs for the High and Low frequencies have a variable range from -15dB to +15dB, and the Middle frequency has a range of 200Hz to 5Khz. The manual for the MT-2 is fairly comprehensive, covering all the technical specifications and then providing easy diagrams on how to set it up and also has some great sample settings to get you going fast. One of the only downfalls is that the unit does not come with a battery and the power supply is optional, and needs to be purchased separateley. // 8

Sound: I am currently using this pedal with my Ibanez RG2550E, and Roland Cube 60 amp. I also have a Schecter Damien 6 that I like to use with this pedal as well. I have not found the pedal to be amazingly noisy, though turning the distortion all the way and not using humbuckers you would probably find it to be quite irritating. I have found that you can get a good strong sound out of it but there is a lot of tweaking to be done to make this, otherwise the sounds can be somewhat tinny. My favourite artists include Dark Tranquillity, Behemoth and The Retrosic, and I have been able to get decent replications of the sound apart from The Retrosic, and that is only because they are an Industrial/IDM band. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely depend on this tank without it breaking, and would definitely use it at a gig without a backup. It has an extremely tough outer shell made of metal, and the design is incredibly sturdy. I read in a magazine some of the tests that they have done to test the durability of some pedals, and this pedal won the competition, as it could withstand being dropped from a 3 story building, being driven over, being set alight and having beer poured all over it, so this pedal can take whatever you give it and still keep coming back for more. The only thing that I would take as backup would be spare batteries, only because I'm lazy and only change them when they really are dead, but the unit is fairly good with batteries, as long as you remember to unplug it after playing. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I have found this pedal to be great for my playing style (heavy metal, hard rock) and it would make a great pedal for anyone starting out or wanting to play some of their favorite bands in the harder spectrum of music. I have been playing for 4 years now and I own a Roland Cube 60, Ibanez RG2550E, Schecter Damien 6 and a unknown brand acoustic. I wish I had asked if it came with a battery before I bought it, so I didn't have to race down to the store and grab one to start playing. If it were stolen I would probably look at upgrading to a multi-effects processor, only so that I can have everything when I need it. When I was purchasing it, I looked for opinions here on Ultimate-Guitar, and the general response was to buy this pedal for my needs. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: gravensuicide, on july 16, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal is great. It can fit many, many genres even though it may be branded as "metal". It is pretty easy to get used to, it has four many knobs, and two little side ones. The two little ones are like wrapped around the two knobs in the center(that is the only way I could think of to say that). It has your standard volume, called "level" on the pedal. It's located on the far left. Then what makes it a distortion pedal, your distortion knob and it's on the far right. Then in the center are the tone knobs. On the left on them are your high (center) and low (outer), then to the right of those are the middle (center) and the mid frequency (outer). So yeah, this pedal is pretty straight forward. // 9

Sound: The sound, one word; 'amazing'. This pedal is so flexible. My band plays both metal and punk, and this is the only distortion pedal that I use. I also have it on one setting, but that setting is so flexible(with out being changed). You can really hear the metal sound when I'm playing a metal song, and when we change it up to a punk song, it sounds like a punk distortion. Of course my band has a bit to do with this, but you get the point. I recommend listening to the presets that it comes with, they will really make you be proud of putting out that (close to) $100. there's not much I can say, it will pretty much fit many people's style, as long as your under some sort of rock deal. Well, one draw back in my opinion is that if you put the distortion on max, there's so much that you can't even get a tone or defintion of the note your playing. it's just extreme fuzz. To some people that's cool, but to me, not my style. I have the distortion knob at about 1 o'clock. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is a metal pedal, and what kind of metal pedal would it be if it wasn't made out of metal. This thing can take some hits. When I'm playing Live, I have a very powerful stage presence, so when I'm working my pedals, I make it look like I'm angry, or what every you want to call it. Though I'm not like that in practice or in real life at anytime, the point is it can take a beating. At a show, if your using it alone, you might be out of luck. It really helps to have a supressor of some sort to clear things up. If you don't, no big deal, it sounds great with or with out in my opinion. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this pedal. I have had it for about 3 years now. I only had one problem with it, and it wasn't even the pedals problem, it was my AC adaptor I used so I don't waste 9 volts when I don't need them. So this pedal has gone though so much and still sounds great and looks great(beside the "dirt/dust" that is infused Boss lettering ont he rubber pad). I like the fact that the knobs are stiff, they don't move unless I make them move, my chorus pedal's knobs are constantly moving when I have my pedals packed up. This pedal is a must by for any musician in the rock/metal/punk sort of genre, it will suit you well. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 24, 2007

Purchased from: SamAsh

Ease of Use: It has a parametric 3 band EQ, level and distortion controls. It comes with a very easy to understand manual, which has some illustrated examples for various types of distortions, and you can find a lot of presets online. Overall it is an easy to use pedal. // 9

Sound: The sound is just great, you can get everything from an old-school Overdrive to a mind-blowing Death Metal distortion. I'm using it with my B.C. Rich Warlock with EMG 81/85 pickups, various amps (I have several amps, and I play with the one closer to me), a Boss DD-3, an Original Crybaby, A MXR 10 band EQ and a Boss Noise Gate, sounds great! It makes some noise when you move the DIST knob all the way up, but it's hardly annoying. You can get the sound of Iron Maiden, Metallica, Children Of Bodom, and even that legendary Dimebag tone. It's the most versatile pedal out there. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a piece of metal, weighs a whole pound. I would gig with it a million times, you could even kill someone in the crowd by throwing the pedal at HIM. I can depend on it, because it doesn't seem like falling apart, it is also great on batteries, so you won't need a backup during the gig. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play metal, so this pedal obviously fills up my needs. I've been playing for 2 years, and have used a lot of distortions, and this is, by far, the best one. I would buy it again if someone stole it. I love its versatilty, reliability and crushing tone. After comparing it to MXR and DigiTech products I made the right choice. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: Sloopy, on august 30, 2007

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Ease of Use: The Boss MT-2 Metal Zone distortion pedal is one that I thought was borderline useless. The distortion on my amp was way less muddled. Set-up is very simple but it sucks batteries. I found the manual decent and the settings they recommend god awful. The pedal is very simple with only a level, distortion, and a couple of tone knobs. It's super easy to activate to and requires little pressure. // 7

Sound: I'm playing it through a mid-50's Fender Telecaster and a Fender Twin Reverb amplifier. The pedal causes excessive feedback from a variety of directions making it a pain to use in small ares like a practice room. I found that after awhile no matter how much I toyed the settings all sounded exactly alike. I bought this pedal to achieve a heavier tone for when I feel like playing along with a Van Halen or Aerosmith record, but all I got was something that muddled the tone and I could barely create a melodic sounding lead line. Bottom line; the sound's not worth the money. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I know that Boss pedals are reknowned for their durability, and this pedal is a tank. I wouldn't gig with it though because it sounds terrible. I think that someone Who gigs a few times every couple of months or so would this pedal a very reliable piece of equipment, however it'd make more sense to fasten it to a pedaboard for a travelling musician. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a mix of classic rock, blues, and jazz. This pedal does decent for hard rock rhythym playing but blows chunks in every other aspect. I've been played forty something years and I never thought I could find an effects pedal so useless. I wish I could have tried it out in the store instead of just buying it on the spot, that's something I won't do again. Overall I don't recommend the MT-2, just save the money and buy an amp with an excellent distortion channel because it'll sound the same or better. // 7

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: Saffron_Inferno, on september 21, 2007

Purchased from: Adrian's Music

Ease of Use: It is relativly easy to use as just pluging it in and using the standard factory settings (all knobs 12 o'clock) gives really awesome unbelievable distortion (equivalent to Papa Roach). However if you have your heart set on a specific kind of sound then you will need to spend some time experimenting with this pedal. The manual is basic and just gives instructions on how to plug it in and some easy factory settings (heavy metal 1, 2, overdrive etc). // 9

Sound: I am using an Ibanez GSZ120 with a very average starfire mega 10 Crate amp but this pedal made my rig! the sound I got from it was amazing I couldn't believe it was my same old starfire. I got some really heavy sounds from this pedal. The effects always sound great on this pedal. you can get the sound of a lot of bands with this pedal, like Slipknot, Mudvayne, Papa Roach, Deftones, Sum 41, System Of A Down, the list is endless. Everything about this pedal is on par and very good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Unfortunately about two weeks after I got this pedal it malfunctioned. I was using it with an ac adapter and I tried to mive it while it was on and something malfunctioned internally and the volume was completely cut off. My amp and guitar was fine but everytime I turned on this pedal the sound cut off and only on full volume (normal and master) could I slightly hear the Drive effect. I was very disappointed as I expected a lot more from Boss in terms of quality and durability. I sent it back and I should be getting another MT-2 today. this makes me think twice about using it without back up, however I will let it go as "one of those times" and give Boss the benefit of the doubt. I just hope and expect it not to fail me again. // 2

Overall Impression: overall I'll give this pedal a thumbs up as it is really amazing if you play anything from rock to metal. I play rock and metal and it has defined my style and is a must for metalheads! I have been playing for about 2 years now. I use my Ibanez gsz 120 guitar and starfire mega 10 amp with this pedal. I wished I had asked them for a new ac adapter when I bought it, maybe I could have prevented my misfortune. Well it has gone for broke on me and I've ordered another so if it was lost or stolen I would get thsi again. I love the amount of distortion textures you can get out of this pedal. I hate nothing about! I compared this with other metal pedals around the same price and this pedal towers over them by miles. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: cheeseisthebomb, on october 03, 2007

Ease of Use: It's a Boss, so it's a easy pedal to use. There is a level knob, which controls the volume of the pedal, a couple of EQ knobs, and a distortion knob. There is a manual which I recomend flipping through, espeically if you don't know how to use the EQ. I do not now the firmware revision number. // 9

Sound: I use this with my Epiphone G-400. I simply use it to play metal, which is about the only thing it's good for. If you turn up the distortion knob a bunch it sounds messy. It does put out a varity of metal distortions. I can get anything from Metalica to Iron Maiden and from Black Sabbath to Pantera. The EQ is one of the best things about this pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss. And when you buy a Boss you should know you are buying one of the most indestructable, powerful, and most well-built pedal on the planet. You could easily play a gig without even worrying about it. I may not have put this thing through as much abuse as I have all my other pedals, but all my other Boss pedals have been through several incedents. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and blues and this pedal don't match at all. I rarley play metal, which is when I get out this pedal. If it where stolen or lost I wouldn't buy it again, because it cost a lot of money and because I don't use this pedal as much as my other ones. I guess that was to be expected since it's name is "Metal Zone". This is a very good pedal. If you play any kind of metal, this pedal is for you. If you don't play a lot of metal, look into Boss Overdrive pedals. I use a BD-2 Blues Driver as my main OD pedal and it sounds very bluesy. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: kcap122, on january 14, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: I am the second owner of my MT-2 Metal Zone, and the first owner did not pass along the manual to me with the pedal itself. There are 6 knobs total on the face of the pedal, which seems intimidating at first. In order to get the most out of the pedal, you have to have a good grasp of how equalizers can affect your sound, and how to set up equalizers in other parts of your rig as well. That being said, the pedal is very flexible, but it has a steep learning curve. You'll Pick up on a few settings that you really like, and stick with those, and probably not move the dials around after that. // 8

Sound: I'm using the pedal between a practice amp, my Fender 25R frontman, a Dunlop crybaby wah, and my mid-90s mexican strat. The best sound comes when you have modulation effects, like wah, closer in series to the guitar than the distortion pedal. The presence of a 3-band EQ allows for a myriad variation of sounds, and if you play with it long enough, you'll discover that the adjustable midrange band is an invaluable Tool in tuning the "mood: of the distortion. At zero gain, the pedal produces a smooth blues tone. At middle gain, it'll give you a crunchy 80s-metal type of distortion. At the 3/4 to full gain mark, it producs an overwhelming lead distortion that'll melt faces during a solo. If you play with the settings long enough, I guarantee that you'll find a tone that works for you. This is the most versatile distortion pedal I've ever used. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Like all Boss pedals, it's built like a rock. I think if I droppedit off a 10-foot ledge and plugged it back in, it wouldn't even scratch. The only thing that could use some improvement is the battery life. At 1/4-to-half gain level and 1/4 volume, the pedal will give me playtime for about 50 hours. That's a decent number, but the problem is that the red indicator light doesn't begin to dim (alerting you to replace the battery soon) until you're in that 50th hour of playing. The sound quality doesn't diminish significantly until the pedal is 99.99% ready to run out of power. // 9

Overall Impression: I mainly play blues, jazz, and metal. I started playing about 6 years ago, and I picked this product when I felt that I'd outgrown the Boss DS-1 a couple of years ago. It replaced the bland distortion on my Line6 Spider, and I've never looked back. If you try this pedal in the store and don't understand why you would possibly need an EQ on a disortion pedal, go for a simpler pedal. The Metal Zone is a highly versatile pedal, but you have to understand how it works. I would replace the MT-2 if stolen because it does everything I could ever ask of a distortion pedal. I love the fact that I no longer need multiple distortion effects to play different genres of music, and that it produces a full band of sound without clipping the midrange like many distortion pedals do. I only wish that there were a way to lock the dials in place so that they couldn't get turned while the pedal is being transported in a case or inside of an amp. Otherwise, this is the simplest way to accomplish a difficult task: providing the most possible distortion tones, in the best possible quality of each of those tones, with the most useability onstage possible. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: DommyPK, on march 10, 2008

Purchased from: Musicians Alley

Ease of Use: This is a fantastic distortion pedal! Once you've had this for 2 hours you would already have got the hang of it. The 3-band EQ is great because you can get rid of those rubbish 'mids' and crank the bass and treble right up there to give you that real heavy metal sound. I think that the inclusion on the 'mid' and 'mid freq' makes this the ultimate pedal because of it's versatility. The manual gives you some great presets for it and the "heavy metal" and "fuzz" are my favourites. // 10

Sound: At the moment I'm using quite a medi-ocre system. I'm using a dodgy Squier SP-10 amp with the Bullet Squier, which I absolutely love. When I first bought the amp and guitar the Overdrive on the amp was extremely dodgy, yet the clean gave me a crystal clear sound depending on the setting on the guitar. When I got this distortion pedal the amp came alive, it sounds like a Marshall stack, no kidding here. The High and lows and even the mids came out beautifully. // 10

Reliability & Durability: For sure this is reliable. It's made of Solid Metal and it is extraordinarily well built at that! The knobs are solid, and with Pedals, what can go wrong?? I would gig with this any day, and I will. I don't think anyone would need a backup with this Pedal ever, it's a solid piece of work. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything from Classic Rock to heavy metal, such as Metallica, Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin and I play some Pink Floyd. This pedal suits them fine. I've been playing guitar for a good 6-7 years. Depending on your skills with this EQ you can get any kind of distortion you want. This is a fantastic pedal, I would recommend this to any serious guitar player. This pedal is absolute class. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: BlackApparatus, on may 20, 2008

Ease of Use: I first watched this pedal on Youtube. As I'm new to guitar effects and pedals, I thought you had to keep the foot on the pedal to keep the distortion going. It's as simple as a click and walk away. I'm really bad at EQs, so the presets the instruction manual includes are really helpful. // 10

Sound: I play this pedal through a cheap 15w Crate amp and an Ibaez GRG07LTD1. The guitar sounded ok to me when I played it without the pedal, but when I plugged the pedal in I was really astounded. With every knob pointing 12 o'clock the sound got way better than it was before. Then I put the heavy metal setup to the pedal, and I was honestly impressed. I play mostly hardcore, metalcore. But I can also play music like ACDC, Guns'n Roses, Iron Maiden, etc... The sound is great when you're playing Metallica too. The distortion this pedal provides is really versatile. However, sometimes it can get a little noisy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Just by looking at it you can tell this pedal is really resistant and there's also the quality Boss pedals are known for. It becomes really useful when playing a song that needs changing from clean to distortion. I've already used it onstage without any backup, and it works really good. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before, I play mostly metalcore, with bands like Bullet for My valentine, Atreyu, In This Moment, As I Lay Dying, etc. but sometimes I feel like playing some old-school rock and it works perfectly just by leveling down the distortion knob. It's really functional, and before buying it I tried several distortion pedals whose brands I don't remember. But I liked this MT-2 way more than the rest. If you're a metalhead guitarist, this is a must have. The Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, or the Boss ML-2 Metal Core. Make your choice. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 22, 2008

Ease of Use: This pedal was so easy to use, it comes with a manual and it explains all about the 3 band eq and also gives you some different settings you can use. Out of 10 I would give this pedal a 5 for some difficulty for a beginner at guitar. But for any beginners out there that don't buy this pedal just because I say it maybe hard for you to use, give it a week of playing it and you will figure it all out, guaranteed! I'm still a little bit of a beginner and I got it no problem right of the box. // 8

Sound: I'm using the MT 2 through a little 20 watt amp and it sounds mint and I'm using a ESP KH 202 Kirk Hammett Signature guitar, it's sounds amazing!!! I can easily get Metallica, Pantera and other bands like Slayer to AC/DC to Black Sabbath, this pedal sounds sweet with Iron Man. This pedal wont give you the very nasty feedback like the DigiTech Metal Master and you can actually understand what you are playing and have way more different settings instead of JUST heavy riffs and controlled feedback. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is really strong and very light too, comparing it to my DigiTech The Weapon Pedal it's like air almost. Oh and I would definately be able to count on this pedal at a gig or show, no question about it. The only down to this pedal it just doesnt't feel as strong as a DigiTech pedal, I've dropped my DigiTech a lot and there's not a scratch on it but I really have to be careful with this pedal and try not to drop it. // 7

Overall Impression: I mostly play heavy metal and rock nothing more. Oh and if someone stole this I would definately buy another same thing as if I lost it(not likely) I would buy it the very next day. I really don't hate anything about it but love everything about it. I recently bought the DigiTech Metal Zone and I thought it was horrible so I returned it and bought this. For any guitar player Who likes kick ass heavy metal will enjoy the heavy metal setting most definately. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: Megan_26, on may 30, 2008

Ease of Use: The MT-2 Metal Zone pedal is by far the pedal with the most gain, That was decently priced around- $150.00. Now I'm sure Boss' newer ML-Metalcore packs more of a punch at a higher price, but the MT-2 is plenty for me. This pedal is extremely easy to use, so easy that I didn't even read the manual- just noodled around with the knobs and I achieved a deep metal tone. Later on I looked at the manual and it shows you with a diagram how to use the pedal if you have no expearience. (perhaps all types of pedals come with one? but I've only used Boss and Dunlop). Also tells you step by step on how to get certain sounds: Heavy Metal, Overdrive, Birtish Rock, Hard Rock and Fuzz. // 10

Sound: I use my pedal thew my Randall Half Stack with RX120D Head and RX412 Cabinet, with my Dunlop CryBaby Wah plugged into my Jackson King V and it sounds amazing. This pedal can make any guitar sound professional. The pedal can be quite noisy at times- a lot of feed back on high gain if you don't own a noise supressor. The effects are strong, very bold, and always sound great on every style you adjust the pedal to. With this pedal you can achieve sounds from Artists like: Zakk Wylde, Kirk Hammett, Adam Dutkiewicz and Joel Stroetzel, Alexi Laiho, pretty much any Metal/Hard Rock artist- the pedal is quite versatile. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can defintely depend on my MT-2 Metal Zone pedal, I've been using it for just over a year and it still looks like it just came out of the box! I've had no electrical troubles with this unit. If I were to play a gig I would use this pedal withouth a backup, it's perfect! // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play Metal, with some Alternative Punk Rock on the side. The pedal is a dream! one moment I'm metling faces (metal) then dying hair and piercing lips (punk). I've been playing for about 6 years now and will never stop! I own another Boss pedal and it is the Boss TU-2: Chromatic Tuner, another pedal I highly recommend, along with my Original Dunlop CryBaby Wah. If it were stolen/lost I would defintely buy another! of even Pick up a used one. Boss pedal's last for years without any problems that's why they're the only pedal I truely trust. I love everything about this pedal! mega gain, extremely versatile, fits well on a deck, and a complete steal for the low price. I only wish it came in a different colour! // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: MetalMoses x, on june 18, 2008

Ease of Use: The Metal Zone pedal is relatively easy to use. There are 4 knobs 2 of which are doubled. You have your level, high, low, mid, distortion, and mid frequency. All of which are pretty self explanitory. It can be hard at times to find the kind of distortion you are looking for but for the most part it just takes a little messing with. // 8

Sound: A good sounding pedal. It does hair metal and prog better than any other pedal that I have ever used but at times it's hard to get an enjoyable crunch sound out of it. An up side to it is that it has the abillity to give you distortion while not making it much harder to distinguish individual notes. Its main downside is that it seems hard to get the super heavy distortion used by most Death Metal bands. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is a very high end pedal. It acts like any other single effect Boss pedal as far as the mechanics and I still have not had any problems with it in the year and a half that I've had it. Everything seems solid and well built. I would be able to gig with this pedal easily without a backup and without a care in my mind. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, mainly thrash, prog and melodic death and I must say that this pedal is a good match for any of those genres. I own a Line 6 Uber Metal pedal also which is what I use as my primary however I still love to play with my metalzone. It is definately a worthy pedal and I recommend it to any metal musicians out there especially those Who want a more classic sound. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: Rad_Sauce, yo, on july 08, 2008

Ease of Use: I just started getting into experimenting with effects and different tones. The main reason I purchased this pedal was because I didn't care for the distortion on my practice amp, and wished for a crunchier tone for the type of music I play. This pedal offers the classic "Metal up your Ass" tone easily, and comes with a straight-forward owners manual for those Who don't know how to use pedals and the like (which came in handy in my case). // 8

Sound: Currently I'm running this pedal through a Randall EX15FX, and playing with a 1986 Aria Pro II ZZ Custom and a Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse Special. One of the main problems I've had with this pedal is the range of feedback. I get horrible feedback whenever I'm not playing, and it gets annoying fast. I just use the AC adapter, so using batteries might effect how much feedback you get, but I'm not entirely sure. One of the other problems I've had is how much distortion I get out of it. That little thing has a massive punch, let me tell ya. Too much distortion, in fact. I often have to keep the volume or the distortion on the pedal low because of how overdriven it is. Typically though, I can get a classic old-school Metallica sound out of it using the Aria Pro II, and a range of other older thrash metal bands which is perfect, as that's usually what I play. There's a limited range of versatility, as some tones are hard to obtain. For example, I've tried to get a good tone to match Anthrax so I could play along, or cover them with my band, but I can't get it perfectly. Close, but not perfect. // 7

Reliability & Durability: So far I haven't had a single problem with it. It has yet to brake, after about a year's worth of use, and I'd gladly use it on a gig if and only if I couldn't get a better amp that would eliminate the need for this particular pedal. I have yet to lose faith in it. // 9

Overall Impression: For the time being, I play strictly metal and nothing else, so obviously the metal zone is a good pedal for what I play. I've been playing guitar for about 15 months (1 yr, 5mo.) now, and this is the only pedal I own. If it were lost or stolen I'd probably spend the money to buy a better pedal, such as the Boss ME-50 Guitar Multi Effects Pedal. My guitarist has that pedal, and it's truly amazing. However, if I couldn't afford anything else, I'd stick with the Metal Zone. My favorite part about it is how I can obtain a classic Metallica tone, I love playing along to Master of Puppets and Seek And Destroy. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: Toxikk, on august 25, 2008

Ease of Use: This pedal takes a bit of tweaking to get the sound you want, because it has dual level knobs, but once you figure out where you want it, it is the perfect distortion pedal for any type of rock. I got it from someone, so it didn't have the manual anymore, but all the description it needs is on top of the pedal. // 8

Sound: I my Metal Zone through a B-52 LS 100, with a Jackson Dinky. The pedal has a tiny bit of fuzz, but it has less noise in the background than my Crate amp's stock Distortion. The tone on the pedal can be a bit harsh if the treble and bass aren't equalized, but other than that it sounds good. I can get a sound out of this pedal to match anything from Zeppelin to As Blood Runs Black. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Since all Boss pedals are made out of metal, they aren't very likely to fall apart with even the heaviest of users. The one thing I can't depend on with mine, is I don't have the 9v plug for it so it dies fast, but if I had the 9v I would use it for everything. // 9

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal, and this pedal fits my style perfectly, but it also fits the blues I play, and the classic rock type tunes too. I've been playing for about three years, but I've tried a bunch of distortion pedals and this is my favorite. If I lost this pedal I would buy it again, No Doubt. I love that it has good sustain and it is very easy to hear the harmonics and mutes. // 7

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: Mr_Rawr_Rawr II, on september 06, 2008

Purchased from: Music Maker

Ease of Use: It can be difficult at first, but within a day or two, you will have it down. The manual it comes with shows you all knids of diffferent presets such as fuzz, british rock, and heavy metal, though I get all my settings from Guitar World. Most of the tones in the manual sounded pretty good though. // 9

Sound: I am just using the Epiphone SG Special pack. It is very noisy no matter what setting you have it on though. Depending on the setting, it sounds really good. I picked it over about 5 or 6 other distortions, and I like it. I play everything from heavy metal to classic rock. I can easily get all those sounds. I only have the metal zone and some really old chorus pedal. When I use them together, the chorus cuts down a lot of the noise, but adds to the tone. I'm not sure about with a wah because I've never had one. And one problem is that the metal zone makes it really hard to do harmonics, so if you play a lot of stuff that uses harmonics, I wouldn't recommend this pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Come on, it's a Boss. I've dropped it countless times, and it still works perfectly. I wouldn't have a prolem using it without backup at all. But, as with most pedals, I recommend a power supply. It drains batteries fast. Besides, it's made of steel. It won't be breaking on me ever. // 7

Overall Impression: I play almost every kind of rock. Stuff like Metallica, Pantera, Led Zeppelin, Children Of Bodom. It probably gives out to much dist. to play stuff like the Beatles though. I've been playing almost 4 years, and I just own that old chorus pedal. I wish I told my parents how much it was in Musician's Friend. It is half the price in there. If it were stolen, I would somehow get the money and get another one without a doubt. I just love it's heavy distortions. I hate how it cuts out your harmonics. I compared it to the metal master, distortion factory, Grunge, and ds-1 distortions. I listened to them all and I liked the metal zone the best. I wish it had a noise supressor though. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: !IKTPQ!, on september 26, 2008

Ease of Use: Well it took me a little bit of my life to get a nice sound that suited my playing styles best, but there are many great sites on the web that real people can submit their settings for different pedals such as Tonedepot.com. It came with safety instructions and a little "brochure" with all of bosses pedals. It also came with a sheet with many different settings such as british rock, heavy metal, hard rock. // 9

Sound: I use this pedal with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and a Marshall MG30DFX amp (always on clean channel). You get a little bit of buzzing in the background but that's what you get with a pedal that has such heavy distortion. The distortion is always pretty chunky and heavy, but trust me there are many different types of tones that can come out of this pedal, you just gotta learn to use it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is a tank, literaly. I've dropped it many times while carrying it and all the knobs and still in place and nothings wrong with it. May I add that you must remember to unplug both patch cords from the output and input of the pedal because it will EAT away at your batterie ( I learned the hard way). I would totaly use this in a gig, love this pedal. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal/punk/screamo... What ever you wanna call it and this pedal suits it perfectly. Althought it took me a really long time to get the right settings dialed in, it was worth it. If this pedal were stolen from me, I would knock out whoever did and get my pedal back. If I couldnt get it back I would buy another one for sure. I love everything about this pedal except for the fact that it's hard to get your own tone out of it, but many different variations so it's a great peadal to buy. Um I've tried a Boss DS1 (the Kurt Cobain one) and it is a little similar but the MT-2 is much better as far as I'm concerned. I like this pedal just the way it is. Great for Parkway Drive, All That Remains, pretty much any fast, smooth metal band. Even good for classic rock. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: bigtimmy, on september 26, 2008

Price paid: A$ 90

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: The good thing about these little bastards are they're plentiful to get your hands on and it's a good starting point for a beginner guitarist to experiment with a flexible tonal option. 6 dials to contorl you're metal tone \m/ 1 volume, 1 Drive, and 4 middle controls for your EQ. The mids controls (3rd from left) are neat in the fact they can be controlled to a 2nd degree, as in how much presence they can have overall in the tone of the effect. Very easy to tweak, and you'll be playing in no time. // 9

Sound: I used to use a beringher GM108 15w amp with this and my LTD with EMG 81/85 pickups. the reason I got it was to compensate for the shitty tone (I used to think) from the amp. Back then, all I wanted was a big thick crunch, and for that reason and in my youth I thought the pedal was amazing. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a good sound, but nothing compared to my Laney VH100R... sorry folks! It can be quite noisy, but then again I haven't used one in awhile and I have much better equipment (leads n that) at my arsenal now. Getting a nice thrashy scooped sound (which I wanted) was easily achieved and sounded quite brutal if the EQ was right (with your amp settings as well) For a good ld school slayer/metallica sound this pedal was a cheaper option for a newbie guitarist rather than splashing out on a JCM series Marshall. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Hmmm. Well the pedal was 3rd hand when I got it and had been treated rather poorly. I can say I didn't treat it much better. I couldnt use the Power supply with it because it killed the signal. The wires had to be resoldered every day. Eventually I gave up on it when it died ten times during a gig. By that stage I had a Roland Cube 60 and just threw it away in anger and switched to my Roland r-fier setting, which I now prefer. I'm giving it a low score because I don't know if a new unit would hold up as well... keep in mind this thing was abused. // 5

Overall Impression: I used to play nothing but thrash. For that reason the pedal was great, and as I've said it was a good choice for my beginner stages of playing guitar. I've been playing 5 years now, and own quality leads, a solid guitar and my wicked Laney VH100R. Back when it worked, I loved it and even considered buying a new one before I upgraded amps. But now, I wouldn't bother, maybe as an EQ thing, but not as a effect pedal, why would I not use the distortion from a 100w valve amp? If someone stole of me now, I'd laugh and be curious if they got it to work haha. 3 years ago, I would chase them down. // 7

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: raviction, on september 29, 2008

Purchased from: Saptaswara Musicals

Ease of Use: Its pretty simple to get any kinda sound out of it ranging from crunch[trust me] to thrash, death, etc. it's always good to have your own sound when you are doing a gig and MT-2 helps you in exploring your own true sound [obviously you gotto do some homework before getting on stage]. MT-2 has a EQ which you can fool around with and get a wide range of sounds. The manual just gives a brief explanation about high, low, mid, etc [I think most of the guitarists already know what it means, but for first timers it's kinda helpfull]. Th manual gives you a few presets to try which is not a bad attempt but even a layman can fiddle around with it and extract some amazing sounds out of it. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Vintage strat with 2 single coils and a humbucker and I'm using a 20W Stranger amp. Though I don't have the best of amps, I still find it amazingly great. I don't think it's noisy and I'm pretty sure about it because only when you get close to the amp, you get a hiss otherwise I find it smooth. But at high level and mid, it gets a little noisy [Nothing is perfect in this world]. I was shocked on how easily I could get harmonix and the squeels using this pedal. It just screems out. I like Grunge, hard rock, metal, alt metal, thrash. I can easily get all these tones from my pedal. If you are still not satisfied with this pedal, you can get it modified from robert Keeley. I dint go for a mod, But I think after the mod, this pedal will become the god of all the pedals in this world [Robert Keeley removes the existing shortcomings associated with the pedal [if any] and gives you a moded pedal which is error free] // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have not yet done a gig with MT-2 but I don't think that ll face problems of any sorts while doing a gig. I have heard that this pedal is too loud and the other guitars can't be heard when played simultaneously. I don't know how true it is, But I think it should be ok if we take care of the logistics well ahead of the show. This pedal is very strong and rigid and I'm sure it ll last more than your life. // 7

Overall Impression: I play metal, grunge, alt metal, hard rock. I think this pedal suits my style of music and enhances my nuances of playing. I got this pedal 3 months back and I'm satisfied with it. But I wish this pedal had come with a better manual and presets. I would like to add a compressor and a noise gate to it soon. I compared with a lot of other products like metal core, death metal, DS-1, DigiTech shit, but I think MT-2 kickass and rules the world // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: inhale_exhale, on october 08, 2008

Ease of Use: The MT-2 is a great, great pedal. Getting a good sound out of it is fairly easy, and can be done in little time. It's super easy to use at gigs, although mine gives me a big load of feedback sometimes. I'm not sure why it does, but I think it's the amp and stuff I use at gigs. // 8

Sound: I'm using my Fender/Squier Strat with it right now, but I'll soon be using it with a PRS Paul Allender. =) My amp is a regular Fender amp, but I can't remember the model or anything. The pedal's a bit noisy when you have all the knobs all the way up, or sometimes when it's just turned on at all. The effects on the pedal sound great, just as long as the feedback isn't drowning them out. I can get a Haste The Day/Switchfoot/Skillet/Inhale Exhale type sound out of this little pedal, which is pretty sweet! The distortion on the pedal is great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think I can definitely depend on this pedal, it's pretty awesome. It's really durable... (one time it got dropped a fair distance onto concrete and it still works.) I don't think I would use it on a gig without a backup though. If it starts giving me all that feedback crap, I'd want to swap my pedals out. // 9

Overall Impression: I play screamo stuff (Inhale Exhale, Underoath, Haste The Day), Rock (Switchfoot, Skillet, Nirvana), Metal (Dragonforce, Metallica, Guns N Roses), Punk Rock (Weezer)... Pretty much everything but crap like the jonas brothers.. They make my ears bleed and they should really learn how to play guitar. Haha, anyway, this pedal is a good match for most of the stuff I play. I can get lots of different sounds out of it. I've been playing for almost 2 years. I'm getting ready to get a new guitar (PRS Paul Allender). Right now I play with a Fender/Squier Strat, it's pretty cool, but I'm ready for an upgrade, haha. Before I bought this product I wish I had asked if there was any feedback. Feedback is the thing that bugs me the most. If it was stolen or lost I think I'd buy another one if I had the money. It's a pretty sweet pedal. I love all the different sounds and tones you can get out of this thing, but I hate the feedback. The sound is great on it too, if the feedback isn't drowning everything out. I did compare it to other pedals, but I don't remember which ones I compared it to. Danelectro maybe? I'm not sure. I ended up choosing this one because Boss is typically a good brand, so I figured the pedal would be pretty awesome. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: synister legacy, on october 13, 2008

Ease of Use: It's pretty easy to get a good sound out of it, just mess around for a while and you can find a great sound that you like. The pedal is a straight forward distortion pedal with a three band equalizer and dual gain circuits. The nobs are well labeled and easy to use. Even if you can't read then all you have to do is turn them to find out what each one does. I only glanced at the manual, but it's fairly detailed with instructions on replacing the battery and some presets such as "Heavy Metal" or "British Rock." // 9

Sound: I play a Les Paul, Strat, and PRS through this pedal and into a Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead Head and JCM 900 Cab. I've also played an Ibanez RG7321 through the same setup and it sounds amazing. The pedal sounds best through the clean channel on my amp. It can be a little noisy (a little bit of buzzing), but once you move into a garage or onto a stage the buzzing is basically eliminated. The distortion is always melt-your-face-off-oh-god-it's-the-apocalypse strong, even on low battery. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is completely indestructible. You could probably run it over with a car 10 times and it would still work. It's made out of metal which makes it pretty heavy, and it has a rubber bottom for no slip grip on whatever kind of stage/ground you have it set on. I would use it at a gig without a backup if I had to (it's never smart to not have a backup, no matter how good your main pedal is), just make sure you have extra batteries or a Boss 9v ac adapter. The thing eats batteries like a fat kid eats cake. I used to go through one a week at least before I got the ac adapter. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Death Metal, thrash metal, black metal and hard rock. This pedal is very versatile, I've been able to get everything from Hendrix to Death Metal out of it. I've been playing for about 3 years and I've had this pedal for about 10 months. So far it's one of the best sounding pedals I've played, the Boss metal core pedal doesn't even compare. the only pedal I own that can give this one a run for it's money (in terms of sound) is an old DOD 86B Death Metal distortion pedal. If this pedal was lost or stolen, I would definitely buy it again. It would be a huge blow to lose something like this. The only problem I've had with it is that the thumb screw occasionally comes a little unscrewed, but it's never completely come off. When I went down the the local music store, I tested out a few Boss distortion pedals, but I knew I was looking for something heavy. I tried the MD-2 Which didn't really cut it with me. Then I tried the ML-2, which didn't sound all that great. then I tried the MT-2 and compared to the ML-2, it blew it out of the water. If you're looking for a great overall metal distortion pedal, Then the MT-2 is perfect to you. I hope this review has been helpful. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: RighteousMagik, on december 24, 2008

Ease of Use: For the beginner it will take about 20mins of fiddling around to understand how the triple band on this pedal works. But after the initial trial period you can find almost any rock medal tone you will ever need. If your into softer distortion I can't promise it will give you the tone you want. For softer distortion I would invest in a fuzz or Overdrive pedal. the supplied manual gives you a basis in which you can find the sound you want. For being 115.99 with a power supply this is a good beginner, intermediate, semi professional pedal. // 10

Sound: I have used this pedal mainly through a Marshall amp. Fenders, gibsons and many more have been used with this pedal so I can say it is a universally good distortion pedal. It provides just about any sound you could ever used or very close to it. the reason it got an 8 is because if you don't understand the pedal, or how to work with specific parts of your sound it can be a little frustrating. A beginner to this pedal should keep the mids higher up and just mess with the lows and highs. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As it being a Boss pedal it is in a very protective metal case so it will only die of age or mods to it. It looks to be able to handle many kinds of abuse but I am protective of my investments so I haven't thrown it or anything but it should easily be sturdy enough for many gigs and a long life span. // 9

Overall Impression: This works perfectly for my style of music and seems to work for a wide variety of others as well. If it were lost or stolen I'd probably buy one off of craigslist for a really good price. I love the abilities of the pedal to fine tune the sound of your distortion but the only thing that could be better was if they made a dual combo of this and the metal core pedal. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: TW909, on january 14, 2009

Ease of Use: The MT-2 Metal Zone pedal is ver user friendly. Turning the knobs ever so slightly results in incredible tonal changes yet finding the "right" sound was almost effortless. The manual is as good as any other but you need to get your hands dirty to get a feel for this pedal. I havn't had any problems with my unit and I've had it over a year. The case is very solid and it runs well on 9-volt batteries or better with an adapter. // 9

Sound: I use the metal zone with my Washburn Dimebolt and follow it with a BBE Sonic Stomp. I plug into a Crate 120 watt combo. I personally like to dial the mids all the way off, with the frequency set at about 11:00.I put the treble at 2 and the bass a little lower. Of course gain all the way up! The pedal is pretty quiet in the chain and with the Sonic Stomp noise is never a problem. The tones last when held and it produces great harmonics. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Not gonna quit on you. I got mine over a year ago and I still find better, more pleasing tones with it every time i turn it on. I would feel secure using it as a stand alone distortion pedal. It has the Boss name right there in bright Orange. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of Slipknot, Slayer, behemoth, etc. I also play Ozzy, lynard skynard, Ac/Dc, etc. This pedal can dish out any tone you set your ears on. Nothing would replace this pedal for sure if lost or stolen. I have a line-6 uber metal that I don't even use and it cost way more thaen the MT-2. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: The Purple Fury, on january 15, 2009

Ease of Use: At first you don't know what to do with it. The equalizer is capable of being very fine tuned and if you haven't dealt with anything like it before it might take some time ot get used to it. Once you've gotten the hang of tweeking it just rite to make the sounds you want, it's pretty much self explainetory. // 7

Sound: I use my MT-2 Metal Zone pedal with one of two guitars, my B\.C\. Rich Wave with EMG pickups, or my Fender Squier Showmaster Blackout (People bash it for it's brand, but it's amazingly comforitable). I play threw two 16" Crate speakers connected to a 4x12 Crate Bass cabnet, with a Crate KBA150 head unit. A clustered amp really, but it gives me a good combination of high end and low end sound at the same time. Admitedly, by itself the pedal is fairly sloppy. It produces a lot of noise and fuzz that you don't want, and it generaly not that good sounding. If it is the only pedal you have, I wouldn't recommend relying on it for the best sound. I run mine threw a DigiTech RP50 multi-effects pedal, wich really brings the sound the MT-2 produces to a fantastic quality. The RP50 has a noise supressor and a few other tweeks to get a heavier, but cleaner sound. Combine that with the fine tuning abilities of the MT-2 and you've got some kill noise comming out of your amplifier. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I would have to say it is an extraordinarily reliable pedal. I would trust that thing to get me threw any gig one could come up with. It, structually, is very sturdy. Mine has been dropped several times, down flights of stairs and on pavement and it still works like new. My freind, Who is also sporting one of these fine pedals leaves his in a garage, despite frezzing cold, or extremem heat and it never fails. Great durability. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play heavy metal, and Industrial metal, music like, Static-X, Strapping Young Lad, Coal Chamber, and Killswitch Engage, and this pedal does the job fairly well. Like I said I have to use another pedals "tweeks" to get the exact clear sound I want, but if properly used this pedal can produce amazing sound. I use it as my main distortion pedal at the moment, but I am always willing to try new things. If it were stolen, I woud replace it immediately, even if I wasn't using it as a primary, the quality, and the potential sound possibilities it has always has me comming back for more. // 8

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: mcdiddles, on february 04, 2009

Purchased from: Local music shop

Ease of Use: This pedal is really easy to get a good metal or heavier tone out of it. The manual is really helpful, the manual explains what each knob is for and how to properlyuse the pedal. My unit has never been upgraded it came straigh from the store in it's original box. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal through my Epiphone juniour valve 35 watt. If your amp is up loud and the distortion is cranked up to the max the is a little bit of fuzzy noise but that could be my pickups or cable. I can get sounds from the fuzz of jimi hendrix to the distortion of As I Lay Dying The guitar I'm using is a ESP LTD MH-250. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it whenever I need it. I have used this pedal many hours since I purchased it. I would use it on a gig without a backup because it is in a cast iron shell and is very tough. This pedal has been dropped been in different weather conditions and still holds up very nicely. // 10

Overall Impression: Heavy metal. This pedal is a goo match afterall, is is called the metal zone. Everything that I should've asked was explained in full detail through the manual. I love the versatility of tone I can getthrough this pedal. If it was stolen I would buy it again as soon as I saved up enough money. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: slashe50, on february 26, 2009

Purchased from: Maximum Music

Ease of Use: As with most Boss compact stompboxes, it's pretty straightforward and simple. You can get any sound out of it, with the wide EQ it has. The manual is also easy to use, with some presets that can you can twiddle around with it a bit to get the sound you want. // 10

Sound: I play a Dean ML Baby through a Peavey Vypyr 15 (Not the greatest amp). It usually sounds pretty good, although if you turn the level up more than halfway, the palm muting gets muddy and the sound gets noisy, although this could be my amp. I can get nail Megadeth, early Metallica, and some classic rock too. I can't exactly get heavier sounds, but that could be my amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is an absolute tank. I could drop it off a building, and it would survive (and from the looks of it, it probably has). This wouldn't need a backup at all, although with my lead foot you can't be sure. I haven't had to deal with their customer service, and probably never will. // 10

Overall Impression: Since I play metal, and it's called the Metal Zone, it could be assumed that it would be pretty good for me. I've played it on better amplifiers, and It sounds great. It's versatile, and I can play everything I need. I've been playing for about two years, and I also own a Yamaha RGX120D, and a Fender Starcaster, which came with a Fender SP-10. I don't have any regrets buying this product, and I would definitely get another one if it were stolen/lost. I had compared it to the DigiTech Metal Master, but since it didn't have a gain function, I got the Metal Zone instead. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: overkill127, on august 31, 2009

Ease of Use: This pedal is not for impatient guitarists. It is probably the most versatile distortion pedal on the market, and for this reason it takes a lot of meticulous work to get the exact tone you want. With practice it becomes easy, as everything does, but this might be a difficult first pedal. Fortunately this is a Boss, and it comes with a somewhat helpful manual and an even more helpful website, both helping the process. // 8

Sound: As I said earlier, it is difficult to get a good sound out of this pedal with no previous experience, and it is very easy to get a bad one. But once you play with it enough you can nail a plethora of different sounds. Although this is a high gain pedal, there are settings that will allow you to dial back the gain a little bit, adding more versatility. You can get great tones for all metal from Arch Enemy to Zappa with this pedal. It does have a slight oscillation, but it is barely noticeable. However it becomes very obvious if you play in an area with a lot a cell phones and other similar devices, and general noise from the pedal can also become amplified, since it is so high gain, which is why I recommend getting a noise gate. The only problem I have with the sound is when palm muted notes are played one the lower strings, they seem to lack definition. But this can be solved by ramping the volume. Another problem is very high notes. They can sound too digital if your knobs are not set up properly, or, again, if the volume from your guitar/amp is too low. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Although I haven't had my pedal for too long now, I know people who have the same pedal from the 80s which is still playing as great as it did back then. So you won't have to worry about that. This is one place Boss pedals really Shine. My cousin's DigiTech Grunge dropped four feet from his car to the sidewalk and now it sounds like a tin can. This pedal is built tough and will stay tough. // 10

Overall Impression: I play absolutely everything. When I went to buy this pedal, I thought i was only getting a pedal to play straight up metal, but while this pedal does great with metal, it'll also do well with rock, punk, and even some blues. It may be hard to achieve these settings, but its possible. It has excellent control, for those Who know how to use it, and it creates great tones. I compared this pedal to the Line 6 Uber Metal and the DigiTech Death Metal. The Line 6 was overpriced and did not have enough gain, and the Death Metal was not as versatile and too noisy, and both are not as durable as this one is. The only thing I would want for this pedal is crunchier palm muted notes, but this problem can, for the most part, be averted. This is a pedal I would take good care not to get lost or stolen, and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a good distortion pedal. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: TuxFriend, on february 24, 2010

Price paid: € 35

Purchased from: Huuto.net

Ease of Use: I bought my MT-2 "MetalZone" from an internet auction. It came without a power adapter and the unit works with a 9V battery. The manual explains the basic settings well, but the MT-2 is really simple and easy to use. I recommend taking a look at the example settings from the manual, they give some nice sounds. I didn't try editing patches yet. // 10

Sound: Getting a great sound out of the MT-2 is quick and painless. All in all there are 6 different knobs and all of them make a big difference to the sound. I haven't noticed any noise with the MT-2. I use this pedal for playing metal, like various death & doom metal bands, and of course, Metallica. The distortion sound is fantastic. I've had several other pedals and the distorted sound was always took weak for my taste. Not with this unit! The equalizer controller knobs are great, add some bass and you get a great sound for rhytm guitar, add some treble with lots of distortion and you get an extremely heavy Metallica tone. Add some more treble & distortion and you can play In Flames. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The casing of the pedal is not cheap plastic, it's metal. I could depend on it on a gig without a backup. But then again, even as new the unit costs only about 90 euros - for this price, it's worth getting two for live playing. The hardware is made to last. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal is perfect with extreme metal. I use it mainly with guitars that have EMG 81/85 pickups. If my MT-2 was stolen or lost, I'd get it again. While more expensive (about 90 euros) than your average effects pedal, it doesn't cost a fortune and it gives you much better metal sound than any of the other pedals I've tried so far. Of course having some extra effects like chorus, reverb, delay, tremolo, etc. would be nice, but I just plug in my V-AMP2 with pre-amp bypass for that. I love the equalizer feature of the MT-2. Compared to the distorted sounds of the V-AMP2, the MT-2 beats it hands down. I also tried DigiTech Death Metal, which also sounded good, but the MT-2 is less fuzzy. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: guitarscreams, on july 14, 2010

Price paid: C$ 115

Purchased from: steve's music store

Ease of Use: This pedal its pretty complicated(this was my first pedal so I had to figure out things)but once you know how it works you'll be fine. I don't edit patches so I don't know if its good for it. I didn't look at the manual so I don't know if it helps but you wont need it much. // 6

Sound: I use this pedal with my shecter revenger and a Peavey mini amp(its a peice of crap amp). It doesn't make any noise, but that's probably because I have active pickups(I tryed it with passive EMG's and it was horrible). It sounds great but I would buy an amp and no effects, only the board that goes with the amp because it always sounds better like that. You can get almost any sound with this, I play all my favorite band sounds such as Aevenged Sevenfold, Bullet For My Valentine, Metallica, All That Remains, etc... If want good sound get a whole amp not a pedal the amp will be way better than the pedal BUT if you can't afford and amp get this in the meanwhile. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is extremely derable as they said in other reviews I saw before buying this ''its built like a tank'' so you can drop it from 10 feet to a concrete floor and it'll still be fine.I would only use it as a lead boost at a gig since your guitar sound straight to the amp is the best thing you can do. // 6

Overall Impression: I play metal and its great, it matches my playing style very well. I've been playing guitar for 4 years but I'm on a tight budget so I have a Schecter revenger, a Dunlop 535q wah, an Acoustic guitar and a small 20watt amp. If this was stolen I wouldn't buy this again, I'd wait and buy my dream amp. What I love about this pedal is that its very easy to handle, its small and compact and easy to carry, what I don't like about it is that... Well there's nothing I hate about so its a great pedal. Before buying this I thought about buying a Boss ml-2 metalcore but the guy told that I could play metal and soft stuff with this pedal so when he said that it was an instant yes. // 7

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: PaulyVengeance, on november 19, 2010

Purchased from: Roadhouse Music, Boston.

Ease of Use: Getting a great sound out of the MT-2 is like stealing candy from a baby...All it takes is a few twiddles of the knobs, and VOILA! There are 4 knobs on the pedal, and they are (in order of left to right) Level, 2 Equalizers, and Distortion. The EQ is a 3-band, with a semi-parametric MID control, which offers a wide range of tones and sounds for any hard rock or metal guitarists out there in the big 'ol world of music. The manual is very informative, and even has a page of diagrams, with options for all types of music style. Blues, 80's hard rock, Cali Metal etc. Included in the manual are the wiring schematics, company information, contact information etc etc etc. // 9

Sound: I originally started off using this pedal with a small 15watt practice amp... which....well, Sucked ass basically. SOOO, I hooked it up to my 100watt carlsboro head, with 4x12" celestion goldbacks....*eargasms all around* The tone on the setting that i was using provided a hard, chunky sound, with nice, thick lows, and cutting highs, all topped off with a sustain that could have gone on for weeks :D Depending on the distortion level that you whack this baby up to, you may experience a tiny amount of background hiss, but otherwise it's quiet as a mouse until you start playing. I found that about 3/4 DIST suited my playing style well. Sometimes, the tone will get a bit overpowering if you don't fiddle with the EQ to suit your own preferences, but ya know, nothing is perfect. Really, the range of tones that you can produce with this pedal vary from Trivium, BFMV, Lamb Of God, Gallows, Metallica and Opeth all the way to the other extreme, such as Thin Lizzy, Boston, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Led Zeppelin etc etc. Basically, this little box of balls-out awesomeness has THE HEAVIEST distortion/overdrive setting I've experienced with any pedal I've ever owned. The distortion is enough to castrate small dogs, and scare the pants off of old ladies! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I never used the pedal in a gig, but I'm 100% certain that it would do me proud. In fact, I'm actually 1000% sure that it would outshine any other pedal used by any other band in any other gig... As I said before, I'd go into any gig with this pedal in my arsenal of musical weapons. I'd rely on it any day, at any time, anywhere. // 5

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal, so this pedal is perfect for the style. Anything that requires a little, to a lot of Overdrive really is where the pedal made its name and forged its reputation. I've been playing for 8-ish years, and my gear is as follows: Maverick F-1 (guitar) an Encore Acoustic, a Casio *somethingsomething* keyboard, a Boss DR-3 drum machine, a Yamaha Pacifica 112a, a Zoom G9.2tt multi-effects pedal, assorted tuners, picks, capos and strings etc etc. I wish i'd asked the dealer how good this pedal was on the battery front, as it sucks for battery life. If you don't have a separate power supply, make damn sure you have a large supply of 9V batteries to hand! If stolen, i probably wouldn't buy this pedal again, because A: It's f**king expensive for a poor little man like myself, B: The tonal range you can get could be (with a little tweaking) replicated by many other pedals. I would probably put the money towards a new guitar, as ya know, you can NEVER have enough guitars. I hate the fact that it eats batteries like they're going out of fashion, and the low quality battery connector. I love the tones it produces, and the feel of it. It's well-made, chunky, strong and heavy. In all, the feeling you get when you press the Switch down and hear the result, will make you smile like a little girl :D I didn't take the chance to compare it to any other products, because I was being rushed by my parents, so unfortunately, I have nothing to compare it with. I originally chose it for the way it looked, and then was totally won over by the way it sounded when I tested it out. Really, all I wish this pedal had was a better battery consumption rate. It's not absolutely awful, but it's not amazing either. If I had the money again, I would probably buy something else though. Purely for experimental reasons. // 7

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: Nirvanafan60, on january 05, 2011

Price paid: A$ 89

Purchased from: TradeMe

Ease of Use: This pedal features 2 EQ(Equalizer)controls, 1 level control and 1 Dist(Distortion) control. This is a really nice little compact distortion pedal. I Highly recommend this pedal to beginners and experienced pedal users.(Read the manual if you're a beginner.) The manual is really good if you don't know what to do. This is the second version of the pedal as it is newly manufactured. I think that anyone who wants to get an extra distortion boost then this is what you want it provides more distortion when on an Overdrive setting or can Switch between distortion and clean when on a clean setting. // 8

Sound: I am using a Johnson Power 10 amp and a Jackson: Dinky, it runs perfectly fine through these things. The amp is really basic so the pedals sensitive elements but if it were a better amp it might. It is actually really quiet which is annoying But the effects don't get weakened by this at all, The only thing to note about the effects is that it starts to wobble sometimes but nothing to worry about. I can get the tone of some of Metallica stuff and classic metal. There a many different distortion types such as Fuzz and Overdrive and they are awesome. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is very reliable and I would definitely use it in a gig and it will always have a place in my bands effect loop. To make sure he battery power lasts long pull out the INPUT lead when not in use so it doesn't drain the battery or buy an AC adapter for it. I think you would be mad not to have a back up pedal when in a gig yes I would try find one if I had a gig. Overall it is reliable and nothing to worry about. // 7

Overall Impression: The style I play is Grunge/Dirge/Metal/Alternative/Rock and it is a perfect match for me. I have been playing for two years but have used for a couple of days and I was really impressed by this pedal. I had asked everything I wanted to know before I got this pedal. If it were stolen I would kill the person who took it and buy another one definitely. I love this pedal for its unique variety of distortion sounds and how it is really basic but really good.I compared this to a DigiTech Death Metal Pedal but I decided to get this one first and I am about to get the Death Metal pedal soon, the reason I got the MT-2 was because it was what I needed at the time. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: ledhed503, on april 01, 2011

Ease of Use: The MT-2 is somewhat hard to get a good sound out of, although the manual does give good suggestions. Once you understand how to get a good sound out of it, it becomes very easy to change settings on it to create any kind of distorted sound you want, from early "old school" metal to Death Metal and other Extreme Metal genres. // 7

Sound: I used it with my solid state Marshall. At first it sounded very digital, but then I figured out some settings for it, and it sound very good. The distortion can be noisy if you turn up the control for it, but thats pretty obvious. You can get many different distortions out of this pedal, once you figure it out. I managed to get the sound of early 90's Megadeth and some modern metal sounds out of the pedal. The sound on this pedal is very good for metal and hard rock. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very durable. I have dropped it countless times, and there isn't a scratch on it. I have played gigs with it, but I wouldn't play without a backup, but this is just because I'm a very cautious person about that sort of thing. It is very reliable and practically indestructible. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music, but especially thrash and extreme metal. This pedal has served me very well in coming up with a good metal tone, although I much prefer the sound of my Peavey 6505 tube amp to this pedal with my marshall.If someone stole this pedal, I wouldn't buy it again, simply because tube amp distortion is far better sounding than this pedal. I would mostly recommend this to beginners and other non-professional players, as you can get a decent sound out of it without spending a lot, but for anyone else, I recommend saving your money for a better amp and an Overdrive pedal. // 8

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: mrbrownstone878, on april 19, 2011

Purchased from: Local music store used

Ease of Use: This pedal is great! You can make it sound like anything from Black Sabbath to Metallica. It is easy to get a good tone without any feedback has very good distortion and contour. I did not get a manual for it because I bought it used you don't really need a manual if you know how to work an amp or other pedals because it has the same tones and knobs. // 10

Sound: The setup I use it on is a Marshall MG100DFX going to a Schecter Damien Fr 6 it will make it go from clean to very loud and distorted. It is a very good pedal. It can sound like thrash metal and then by turning the knobs just a little it can sound like early metal without alot of contour. You can get a really good Metallica sound if you turn up the low and the high all the way turn the medium all the way down, put the distortion 3/4 the way up and it will sound ju7st like metallica. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You can depend on it. It uses a 9 volt battery and it lasts long. The battery will last about 4 days if you leave it on. If you turn it off and only use it when your playing it will last about two weeks. I wouldn't use it at a gig without backup because you never know if it could run out. I suggest to buy an adapter with the MT-2 metal zone pedal. // 7

Overall Impression: The style of music I play is hard rock and heavy metal. I have been playing for about 1 1/2 years now. I was looking for this if I could find like I would of got a metal core and a powerstack Boss pedal. If I lost this I would definitaly buy I new one I never leave it off while I am playing. One of the best features is the settings you can change the bass, treble and medium also the distortion. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: uncletobycolour, on april 19, 2011

Purchased from: New Zealand Rockshop

Ease of Use: The metal zone will take a bit of time to get used to, it has a few more knobs than most Boss stomp boxes. Making it very confusing for people who just bought the pedal. Eventually you will get used to the range of knobs, and you will be able to create almost and range of distorion you please... // 7

Sound: I use this pedal through a Kramer Striker Custom and a Peavey Rage 258, I also use a Cry Baby and it works great with any setting you put the metal zone on. The power that this pedal delivers is enough to split your city in half, it is huge... I play mostly metal and this pedal is perfect for it. I can get all the tones of Zakk Wylde, Alexi Laiho and other guitarists of that genre. But I also play some classic rock and despite the pedals name, this pedal can also create decent light distortion/overdrive sound. But I definitely recommend this pedal for its power and heavy distortion. The only problem is that it is quite noisy and will put out a bit of feedback on the higher gain settings. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Like all Boss pedals, the metal zone is a tank. You could throw a brick at it and will almost guarantee it will still work. (Don't go trying it though). It is made almost entirely out of metal and I use this pedal at gigs without a backup. Mostly because I cannot afford a backup, but even if I could, the only reason I would need one is in case the battery ran out. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said, I play mostly metal and this pedal is perfect for it. I have been playing 3 or 4 years and it is great for my level of experience. If it was stolen I would most likely buy it again, but I might try out some other heavy distion pedals. This pedal is perfect for gigging due to its heavy duty build, but I do recommend buying a 9 volt adapter. This thing gulps down battery power. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: stig354, on april 19, 2011

Purchased from: Andertons

Ease of Use: Ok so I'v had this pedal just shy of a year now and only recently (past few months) have I extracted from it tones that kick next level amounts of ass. The reason I could not just Pick it up and dial in decent tones was due to me being unfamiliar with the parametric EQ however if I can work it out, anyone can. This is a 2009 model and I bought it to Drive a Marshall MG15CD and a Kustom KGA 10fx. // 9

Sound: The thing can go from 80s rock right the way through the spectrum -----> and further still ---> upto deathcore, when correctly eq'd. The pedal sounds just as good as it did the day I got it. Is it noisy? Depends entirly on the amp you use. In my Marshall its noisy but in my Kustom its not bad. The depth of distortion/how distored it can be is quite respectable for a pedal. It will even out perform SOME "metal" amps. There are videos on youtube of how br00tal you can go. I do not run this in some crazy big pedal board so iv no clue how it effects the tone or where is a good posistion to put it. Rule of thumb is OD an distortion after wah. // 8

Reliability & Durability: man iv dropped this thing so many times its embarrasing, still it soldiers on. Is it a tough cookie? Well you know how in terminator 2 arnie just walks into the bar and rapes people... Same kinda thing. Its built like a cross between a moving train and an armoured tank. Entirely metal chassis on the outside and it takes a beating I assure you. I cannot comment on how fast this pedal munches through batteries as mine came with the 9v adapter but hey if you gig it without spare batteries and it dies, IMO its your fault and you deserve it. I do not merely stand on this pedal to activate it but stomp on it like it was some sort of common brown rat (rattus norvegicus) and it has not broken on me. If anything were to break it would probably be the tone dials though not cause there cheap crap but more to do with my naturally high clumsyness level. // 10

Overall Impression: I bum this pedal. If your a beginner lookin for head start it is definitly a wise investment. Suited for players who like a bit more gain then most amps deliver. Theres not much out there that can perform as well as this. the only real option is the hardwire tl-2. The only reason this is better is because I believe if you ever required customer services Boss would be more helpfull? This is just a guess based entirely on the name. When I think of DigiTech the name conjours up images of customer services similar to fawlty towers. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 10, 2011

Purchased from: Sam Ash Tampa

Ease of Use: The MT-2 Metal Zone gives an amazing sound very easily. The only complicated thing about getting a good sound out of this would be plugging it in. The only real issue I had with setting it up was the fact that the metal play that explains the controls didn't have the labels on it, but I later found out it was sanded off by the previous owner. The MT-2 is very straight forward, and for this, it gets a 10. // 10

Sound: My setup is a Ibanez RG-120 With the standard Infinity 3 in the neck, and Infinity 4 in the bridge, with a FAT-10 Fine tuning tremolo. I run that through the MT-2 and then through a $50 Estaban G-10 Combo, and it sounds amazing. No buzzing, or any other noise exists. Not even with all the settings turned all the way up. The Distortion effects are very strong, and sound amazing. This Pedal gives amazingly similar sounds to bands like Pantera, System Of A Down, Disturbed, Static-X, an pretty much all forms of Metal. It is just a good all around distortion pedal. The distortion on this, as I've said, and simply amazing. I would have paid more than $200 for a pedal of this quality. For that I give it a 10, again. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I could depend on this for quite a few hours before the batteries go out, but I change the batteries before every gig I play. I would definitly use this without a backup, no questions asked. It is definily beat to hell, but its not broken after all the crap its been through with my gigging. // 9

Overall Impression: I play anything from classic metal, all the way to deathcore and metal core, and this suits my needs perfectly. It wouldn't be good for a blues style, because it has too high output, and that's the only flaw I've found. I've been playing for 7 years, and the only other pedal I had was a First Act Delay pedal, which was complete crap, so I really had nothing to compare it to other than other pedals at Sam Ash, and I must say, the MT-2 triumphed over them all. I chose this because it had a much more crisp sound than all the other pedals I've tried. If I ever lost this, I would run back to Sam Ash and buy another in a second. The only thing I wish it had was a built in Chorus-Flanger. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2011

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: Easy to use and get a good sound - understanding of basic amp eq would help, but in general just being able to read is sufficient. Once configured (EQd) its a simple on/off mechanism - so nothing as complicated as editing patches. Didn't get a manual for it, but I didn't really need it. No changeable firmware on this product. // 10

Sound: Normally I use a Line6 HD147 head or a Peavey 5150OII with a Marshall 4x12 - this means that my distortion and effects have always been covered by this setup. I only bought the MT2 because I stopped driving recently to concentrate more on bikes and this is the perfect alternative for a lightweight metal rig. I couldnt say that the results from the MT2 are better than my other amps - but its definitely not worse, I'm confident that I could achieve any metal sound with this pedal. I also use this with a TC Electronics G-Major (not as portable, but still able to fit in my guitar case when cycling! ) and as a package with the MT2, it fulfills all my needs. Noise is kept minimal but would use a gate if its a problem. Used with a ESP M302 (EMG 81, 85), Jackson JS30/Warrior (EMGHz). Used recently with a budget Laney head and cab (at studio) and sounded meaty. Great for playing chimaira, lamb of god, deftones, metallica - anything metal! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Sturdy design - trustworthy. Built like a tank to be honest - the only part at risk might be the LED - but that's a guess. No off button - just stops using battery power when cables are out of it and pedal is depressed. Would use at a gig without a backup... But would always take the power supply to be sure! // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and delayed clean music - great match for the metal side but use a ext mod for clean effects. I've been playing 10 years and this is the best piece of equipment I've bought - especially at the price. Yes I would buy this again if it was stolen. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 09, 2011

Ease of Use: It is a fairly complex pedal, in the sense that you have to know what you're doing to use it properly. The manual however comes with a few settings which are usually enough. // 9

Sound: I use a 1970s Les Paul Custom along with a 16W solid Kustom amp. I find that the pedal has a slight hiss in some of the settings, however you only notice this when you're not playing. The pedal makes my mediocre amp sound like a fully driven stack! I can get classic heavy metal and punk sounds out of it easily, so for me it's perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's made out of metal, in the both meanings of the word. It's taken some heavy drops and still has not even a scratch. This pedal will survive a nuclear war as someone else mentioned. I would use it without a backup on a gig, but if you have the money you might get a spare to be on the safe side. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly 70s heavy metal, and it's the perfect pedal for it. I've only been playing for about a year, so it's very beginner friendly if you have the manual. I've used it with both my LP Custom, and Epiphone SG, and both sounded amazing on it. If it were stolen I would beat up the person who stole it and get it back. If I couldn't get it back, I would get the exact same pedal again, it's amazing! // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: ronaldguilmet, on august 16, 2011

Ease of Use: Very easy to use, although it appears not to be. It has split knobs which can confuse you at first, but after playing with it for a few, it becomes clear. New comes with a manual. // 8

Sound: This pedal is a real Metal pedal. There is almost no way to tame it, so be sure you like metal. Has a real heavy crunch, and leads are outstanding also. If you like metal this is a real treat. Has an EQ for Lows, Mids, and a separate distortion knob, plus a level knob. Jamming pedal. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Metal case, very sturdy. I wouldn't worry about damaging it. I would depend on this, but I would always bring backup. The knobs seem a bit delicate, so I'd be careful with them. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm a beginner who loves metal, so this is really nice for me. If lost I would by again. I love that it's a kick you in the face metal pedal. I love that you can't tame it. It is what it is. I did compare by looking on youtube for a good metal pedal. This goes way beyond distortion pedals which is why I purchased it. I absolutely love it. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: thetobarmethod, on october 13, 2011

Purchased from: Friend

Ease of Use: This is I don't care what you say about it. a TERRIBLE distortion pedal. Good sound-needs tweaking, manual-useless, never upgraded. However, as with other Boss pedals, the selector knobs, how they have that level thing going on is AWESOME! You can customize it so forkin much! Also it's just a stompbox, how hard can it be. // 10

Sound: I play through a Randall RX120DHS and multiple Ibanez electrics. High amounts of noise, so gate suggested, it's distorion is a little to thin, and not good for rythme, it sounds like your typical, wannabe death pedal, and if you think that the distortion is thick, your wrong, if you want the whole drenched thing that everyone is talking about, then you need high output EMGs, or SDs. I can get absolutely NO cool tones out of it what so ever. // 5

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss stompbox darn it. It's brilliantly made, and very high quality. You could(if you take the spring stuff out of the place right under the pedal itself) just throw it on the ground, Pick it up, and start playing the shiz out of it. No gigging with this thing at all. Never // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this pedal is for someone with a nice setup, and can control noise well, I review things from a budget players standpoint, and if you are going to get a distortion pedal from Boss the DS-1, Metalcore, or Mega distortion is a better choice. You don't at all need an awesome rig and instrument to make them sound great. I wouldn't replace or buy another one, I would let the sad sap have it, it just isnt worth it. If you like it, that's great, but it just isnt for me. // 6

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 14, 2011

Purchased from: Used

Ease of Use: It's a bit complicated at start but you will figure it out in like 5 minutes. You just plug it in with either a 9V AC adapter or 9V battery, a kack cable and metal up your ass. I bought it used so I didn't get the manual, but I wouldn't read it anyway. Its just one of those plug n' play pedals, so it's just fantastic when you get it. // 8

Sound: I'm using it into a Marshall (not the best amp, but has a tight nice sound) and my guitar is the ESP-LTD-M401 and the Dean VMNT. It's a bit noisie if you crank up the distortion knob but it's ok if it's arond 12 o'clock. The knobs cover a wide area of sounds, so you can get everything from Zz top to Metallica. The distortion are very metal based and its good for speed, trash, and heavy metal. I use it right in front of a Boss GE-7 to tweak my overall sound a bit more but you can easily get a awesome tone out of it on it's own. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a real hardie and I'we used it several times at gigs without a backup. Its inclosed in a metal casing that could last a nuclear war and it is just nice to be able to stomp on it, without it cracking under your feet. Iwe dropped it a couple of times and it haven't let to any seriouse damage beside a couple of surface scratchs. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and I think it matches pretty nice. I'we been playing for 2-3 years and I think it's a pretty nice fit for a wide range of the metal songs I'we been playing. If it was Lost, stolen or somehow broke I would probably by a Dunlop MXR fullbore metal, not because I don't like the mt-2, but I don't have the money to buy a million pedals so I would try all the pedals I could. I'ts very cheap and thats a great feature. I wish it had a like tight-Lose switch like the Tl-2 from DigiTech Hardwire. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: TheNameOfNoone, on november 09, 2011

Price paid: € 50

Ease of Use: So, this pedal is not very easy to get a good sound from. It has 4 EQ knobs, first few days I got it, I was completely disappointed with the sound, it was very fuzzy and unclean. But, after few tries, I found the sound I desired. Point is, it can boost and cut lows, highs and mids, and on 12 o'clock it's not affecting the sound, it just makes distortion. To get the sound you like, you just have to put everything on 12 o'clock, and then CAREFULLY turning the knobs until you find the sound you like. Turning highs too much to the right makes that unpleasant fuzzy distortion. // 8

Sound: I use it with my Washburn WI64 and Peavey Vypyr 15 (digital amp) on PLXI clean mode, and it sounds very good. If not boosting highs, it makes no noise at all. I can get many sounds out of this pedal, heavy distortions, light overdrives, classic rock'n'roll sounds, it's omnipotent! And yeah, it has very powerful gain, as well. On dropped tunings, it makes pretty nice distortion, not Korn-like sound, but little bit more old-school distortion. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Armored pedal. Bulletproof. Hell yeah, I can depend on it, it's completely indestructible. I gigged with this, without backup, never failed me, though it is a battery-destroyer. Better buy an AC adapter. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 4 years, I play everything, from blues to death metal, and this pedal satisfies me completely. If it were stolen / lost, I would probably buy it again, since it's not very expensive, if not, I would buy Boss OS-2. The thing I love with this pedal is that it makes so many sounds. Complexity of the setting annoys me a little bit, but it's not a problem. This pedal is almost perfect to me, I can't think of anything else that I would put on this pedal if I could. Totally awesome. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: ToxicTrace100, on february 07, 2012

Purchased from: Coyle's Richboro Music

Ease of Use: This distortion box was made with the tone-crazed metalhead in mind. It's four band Eq, with the semi-parametric eq can take a little getting used to, and it's especially hard for newer players to get a handle on. However, once you understand how to use it, it become an extremely effective tone shaper, between it's seemingly limitless gain and its great boosting ability. Any people dislike the gain on this pedal, but enjoy the ability to have the parametric Eq. This can be remedied by using it as a booster, getting some of the gain from your amp and turning the level knob up until you get the desired amount of distortion out of it. The manual for it explains the use pretty well, but the presets it gives are very extreme, and I personally don't think they sound very good. I give this a seven for ease of use because of the learning curve with the pid-band, but once you get this going its just a phenomenal unit. // 7

Sound: I personally think this pedal sounds amazing. Mixing the versatile Eq, the gain circuit, and the boosting, you can get most any sound out of this, from a barking Marshall to a crunchy 6505 and beyond. While not perfect approximations of these amps, with some knowledge of how a high-gain amp is set eq wise, you can carve a real good tone out of this little thing. A good tip is to add extra mids to your amp's base sounds instead of just setting it withs fives across the board. This gives the pedal more to work with, and you end up with fatter tone and smoother gain. Set this on a clean channel with the gain up around the 2 to 4 o'clock area and you'll get that edgy, stop on a dime tone a lot of bands use now since the advent of this pedal. Roll the gain back around 10 and dime the level and you'll get a screaming, fat lead sound reminiscent old 80's Metallica, Testament, and Exodus. My preferred use for this pedal is to put it over the rhythm channel of my 5150 with the amp set for a moderate amount of gain and bring the level up to around 3 o'clock. This gets a huge sound from the mixing of the fatter distortion of the rhythm channel of the amp and the Overdrive from the pedal boosting it. This works with most any amp, and its an ART finding a good spot where its meaty but doesn't cause too much feedback, but once you find it its bliss. This pedal will get you most any hi-gain sound you want, it can go from Judas Priest and Iron Maiden to Cannibal Corpse and the like, and the versatility of its gain options is a welcome addition. Those that say it's distortion sucks simply don't understand how to use it. The tone is great on this little guy, the only complaint is the harshness you can get in the treble region when eq'ed badly, but most any pedal has this problem. The bass is plenty punchy and tight, and the mids are suitably fat or crunchy when the parametric eq is set to taste. The gain knob is very, very usable for metal, but if you're looking for anything pre-Priest, I'd check elsewhere. This amp will give you Metallica and Slayer type tones, along with Pantera, Machine Head, anything you'd like to mimic really. The real trick with this little guy though is definitely learning how to boost the signal with the level knob, which; ets you back off the gain knob and get a fatter smoother tone that's still plenty liquid distortion and tight bottom end. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had three of these things, and I could probably submerge them in mud and plug right in for a show. If I was caught off gaurd, I would use these without a backup for a gig, but I would bring my DC adapter with me, as I don't really trust batteries for my tone. It's a Boss pedal, and Boss pedals make just as good hammers as they do tone-shapers. // 10

Overall Impression: I play quite a lot of metal, and a healthy does of punk as well. This pedal does both great. It covers the spectrum from Hardcore like Cro-Mags and Misfits to Black metal and Death Metal. I've been playing instruments for ten years and guitar for three, and I've had my share of amps and pedals, and I have to say that in a pinch, this pedal will get you through it with a god tone to boot! If it were stolen, I'd assuredly replace it, as it's the most convenient way to get a good chuggy tone there is. I love the options this pedal can open up to a player, especially someone who might not have the best amplifier for what they might like to play. This pedal will take that little Fender amp you got as a gift and make it scream, but the real attraction of this pedal is it's ability to grow with you as a player. Most players start out with little amps and stompboxes, and when they get a bigger amp, they sell the stompboxes, no longer needing to run them through the circuit of a 6505 or Marshall or Boogie. The true blessing of this pedal is it's amazing ability to act as both a traditional metal stompbox with its eq and gain, and its versatility as a booster pedal. It can do so many thins if used correctly, and even professional band still use this amp, even thought they run with full Mesa Boogie and Peavey stacks. The one thing I wished I had asked before I bought this is what boosting is. I didn't know how to do it correctly until recently, and it really makes this box about five times as good. I compared this unit to everything other metal box under the sun, and I can really say if I could only have one I would stick with this, it does just about everything a young gain freak could want. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: cynicavon, on february 22, 2012

Price paid: A$ 120

Purchased from: Arties

Ease of Use: I have to personally admit that this pedal is a great pedal to use for both gigs and playing for fun. Unlike other pedals the MT-2 Metal Zone pedal has more than 2 basic knobs for distortion and level, It also includes 2 equalizer knobs that allow you to change the frequency of your sound giving you an either cold distorted sound (Hey it is a distortion pedal after all!) or a warm fuzzy sound with a simple twist of the knobs. Does take a little bit to get used to though but once you find the sound you want it becomes simple switching between clean and distortion without worry. // 9

Sound: This pedal used to belong to a mate of mine who used it with his Cort X-series guitar but now I own it and have used multiple guitars with it (Including bass guitar). The current Guitar I use now is the Ibanez GIO and an old amp (That I cannot recall the brand. It is probably some cheap brand). The pedal can achieve some great volume especially with the distortion and level knob turned all the way up along with the high and mid equalize knobs. However to get a crisp distortion sound a basic technique is to lower the level knob and turn the distortion up while to gain a "Chunkier" sound it would be in vice versa. Depending on your pedals settings the sound output will be as loud and as strong as you want it to be. This pedal is really good for metal artists especially those who want more power in their distortion (This is why Swedish death metal bands prefer this pedal). Adam Jones from Tool uses multiple effect pedals but with the right tweaking to it's settings(And down tuning your guitar) the MT-2 Metal Zone pedal has a very similar sound to his distortion. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have lost count the amount times I dropped, knocked and stomped this pedal but no matter what it is still very strong and durable. The only time It has literally broken on me was when it was fully breaking to pieces after about 4-5 years in use. Alike all Boss products this one wont let you down and will stay strong no matter what and is built to last. However I am very skeptical when using only 1 pedal at a gig so just to be safe it is always good to have a back up handy. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly metal (Black, death, etc) and personally if I was playing Swedish death metal this pedal would be perfect but in reality any type of metal suits it. I have been playing guitar and bass for 3 years now. I own 2 guitars, 1 bass guitar, a bass amp (sadly no guitar amp), heaps of leads, the MT-2 pedal, a crossfire delay pedal and the ME-25 pedal. If this pedal was stolen it really wouldn't matter to me much because I have the ME-25 (Plus my MT-2 pedal is sadly broken) but I would miss it. One thing I will always remember about this pedal is that it was not only the first one I ever had but the fact that all the years of abuse it still was as strong as ever. It had an amazing sound and was great for mobility (Being so small it wouldn't take up much room). The one thing I didn't like about this pedal was that it sucked up a 9 volt battery in a short time and in my area they are pretty costly, I also wish I had got the 9 volt adapter. All in all I personally believe the MT-2 Metal Zone is a great pedal for both amateur and professional musicians and is guaranteed to last many years to come. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: snshami, on march 28, 2012

Price paid: A$ 50

Purchased from: Forum member

Ease of Use: The MT-2 is a pedal that is not easy to get a good sound out of. It is also not impossibly hard. It just takes patience and some knowledge. When I first got it I certainly got an earful of what everyone describes as a can full of angry bees. All knobs were set at 12 o'clock. It took some help from a friend and quite a bit of fiddling with the knobs before I was able to dial in some really great tones out of it. For instance one has to work the four eq knobs to dial in more bass and dial back some treble. Here is what I stumbled across purely by accident. I found I can get unbelievable clean tones for finger picking arpeggios that approach the sound of an acoustic. It may be unique to my setup but what I do is to use strat with low output pickups into a MT-2 into an Ibanez Tubescreamer amp without the tubescreamer engaged. I turn the MT-2 bass up a bit (around 1 o'clock), and the two mid controls down a bit (around 10 to 11) and have the gain as low as I can get so I can still get a nicely distorted power chord. At this stage the gain is around 8 o'clock (the first increment). I then turn the volume down on the guitar till the power chord goes from being distorted to being merely overdriven. At this stage I am in finger picking heaven and it sounds like the strings on a Yamaha FG700 acoustic. I only discovered this because I had to turn the amp down because it was very late at night. // 7

Sound: My view on the MT-2 is that it is a very useful tool for variation in tone. I have a few great sounding tube amps but there are times when I want my tone more distorted and more metallic. This pedal does manage to enable tones one cannot get out of most tube amps (sometimes I am not looking for the sound to be beautiful and instead want harshness). I have a few amps but I use this mainly with an Ibanez TSA15 combo and run it with a Biyang EQ pedal and either a Squier Classic Vibe or a Schecter Omen Extreme. The other amp I have is a Jet City 2112RC. This pedal cannot recreate the amazing sound of that amp but it can do metal very well. I sometimes enjoy a harsh metallic sound and this pedal does it very well. Its also great at doing a Metallica sound. I love how this pedal gives me options. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Why should I have to say anything more than that. // 10

Overall Impression: I am happy to keep this pedal for all the flexibility it can give me. It certainly does not do everything but I am still exploring all the combinations and permutations of sounds I can get out of it. I feel that most people tend to dismiss equipment because they cannot be bothered to tweak and play around with it. I think it is a winner and I highly recommend it. Other similar sounding pedals are the Boss DS-1. That pedal had a similar sound signature but compared to the MT-2 its like it has one ball cut off. The MT-2 is mad and because of that it is entertaining. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 05, 2012

Purchased from: EBay

Ease of Use: What can I say? This pedal is a dream to dial in. The +/- 15db swing on the EQ means you have to be a bit careful, but it's a price worth paying for the versatility it offers. // 8

Sound: First off, there seems to be some confusion, judging by the comments I've read about this pedal on the internet, it doesn't do 'grind core' or 'death' metal (neither do good guitarist judging by what I've heard. Sorry if I caused offense. Hey sue me!). It would be more accurate to call the pedal the 'Classic Metal'. With that cleared up let's move on. Any way I play in a regular gigging band with, what feels like, several million gigs under our belt, playing a variety of blues, rock, pop and punk, in our own style (metal!). I play a variety of guitars but mainly the ol' black and white eBay special (think Twin HH Super Strat, with Floyd and a, rather fetching, black and white paint job made popular by a fleet fingered Dutch lad), also a Les Paul and Strat. Through a perpetually varying pedal board into, normally, a Bugera 6260 212 Combo. Although at the moment I'm using a Marshall MG100DFX combo, as the Bugera is waiting until I can be arsed to put some new pre-amp valves in. To be honest I'm not in a rush as the MT-2 sounds awesome. Listen, in 25 years of playing I've used, and have still got under the bed, almost every over Drive and distortion box known to man. If classic, or European power metal, is your thing this is the baby. Think early Priest, Schenker, Maiden, even, Firewind, Mystic Prophecy, Dream Evil. You get the picture (metal bands where the guitarist can actually play and the vocalist can sing). Admittedly I've got to use a gate on it, as it's a bit hissy (it's high gain. What do you want?) but it sounds glorious with a bit of Wah Wah and delay. It's the first pedal I've been able to get a decent neck pick-up lead tone out off. Enough said! // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss. Forget the silly Taiwan versus Japan crap. It's a Boss. It'll work forever. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall it's a wonderful thing for 'classic' metal. Do me a favour though.Don't ever get yours modified with the Keeley mods. They sound f*@$ing awful. Keep it standard! // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: christhehammett, on june 27, 2012

Ease of Use: Okay I am going to warn you right now, if you are planning on getting this pedal and expecting it to sound good right out of the box, you might to spend a lot of time trying to find your tone. I could not find a good sound out of this thing from tweaking it, so I looked up settings for it and found two places to look. http://www.hamptonplace.com/tonedepot/settings/bossmt2.php The first link is a link to peoples settings that they use on this pedal. Some of them are good, others meh. Another place to look is the Boss website, you can download the pdf for settings. I got this for free so I don't know if it comes with a manual inside. I give it a 7, because It's hard to use at first, but it sounds good when you have it properly tweaked. // 7

Sound: I use this with a Marshall Haze 40 combo and I think it sounds great. It is not that noisy considering how much gain this thing has. When I heard this pedal I thought it would be good for Pantera and Slayer. I was so right. It leans more towards Pantera stuff, but if you tweak it I bet you could find some other tones from it. Their are also a lot of knobs on this pedal so you could probably play most kinds of metal and rock even on it. I give it a 9 because you can play many styles of metal with this. // 9

Reliability & Durability: If you don't know this then you should: Boss pedals are built like tanks! All of them feel solid and have some nice weight to them. I have not gigged with it yet, but I will in a month and will definitely not use a backup. It looks like it could last forever! // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play metal. This is a very good match for most metal types. I have been playing guitar for 4 1/2 years now and own a Gibson Explorer and a PRS SE Paul Allender model. If it were stolen I would probably buy it again because it sounds good and is relatively cheap, they have some used in guitar center for around $40. I do wish that it came with some manual settings for the tone. I would definitely but this though if you want a lot of gain and and play metal. // 8

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: seanjtysoe, on july 10, 2012

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

Ease of Use: This pedal is fairly easy to use. It is quite hard to get the tone you want but if you spend some time adjusting it you will find the tone you want. The manual is good but the presets do not represent the best you can get out of the pedal. If you just spend 5 mins scooping the mids expecting it to sound awesome it wont. It took me 3 days to get the perfect tone but the pedal is great once you've got it. // 7

Sound: I am using this pedal with Jackson guitars and a Marshall MG amp. This pedal makes such a bad amp sound tons better. There is a bit of noise with this pedal, not background buzz but a high pitched noise in the background which is unnoticeable when the guitar is being played but annoying during breaks in the music. This may just be my setup or one faulty unit so please do not judge every metal zone pedal on a problem I am having. The effects are great as long as you spend a lot of time getting the sound you want. They get a bit muddy and grainy at times. I have a generic metal sound which works well with everything I play (things like Maiden, Helloween, Queensryche, The Big Four, etc.) this pedal has a nice natural distortion that doesn't sound digital like some other pedals. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely use this pedal at a gig without any backup. Boss pedals are like tanks so I would have no worries at all. There is no way it could be broken and it sounds the same with any amps I have used it with. This is the only distortion pedal you need to play metal. // 10

Overall Impression: I play most sub genres of metal and hard rock. This pedal is built for metal hence the name. don't get it if your gonna be playing The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix. I've found it to suit all styles of metal very well. If this pedal was stolen I would track down whoever stole it and get it back or buy another one. It's perfect for me. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: TURTLESAURUS, on august 02, 2012

Purchased from: craigslist

Ease of Use: It might take a little adjusting to get the sound you want, but it's not hard. Very easy to use. You can look up a manual online if you don't have one with you, so that's not a problem. The manual will give you particular settings for different sounds(thrash, hard rock, metal). // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal obviously, but you can set this thing to give you a plain distortion, too. But if you're going for plain distortion you should just go with the Boss DS-1. The effects are good, and you can get the sound of metal bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, etc. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Very dependable and durable. I generally like to use a power adapter with this but you can stay with the 9V battery, too. It lasts a long time as long as you remember to unplug the 1/4" cable when you're done. You can gig without a backup, but maybe keep a DS-1 with you just in case. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 4 years. Got into metal a few years ago and this pedal can deliver that great, crunchy sound that I enjoy so much. If it was stolen I'd get another one for sure. The only thing to compare it to would be the ML-2 Metal Core. I haven't played through the ML-2 but I know people who enjoy that as well. I think you generally want to get your hardcore/grindcore sound with the ML-2 and your metal sound with the MT-2. So it's pretty much just preference. I'd say try them both out, but I'm very happy with my decision. // 9

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 03, 2012

Purchased from: Online - can't remember site

Ease of Use: I find this pedal pretty straightforward to use but I've given it an 8 only due to the fact that it seems that not understanding the various controls is what can sometimes give this pedal a bad name, more explained later. Level, High, Low, Middle, Middle Freq and Distortion controls make it easy to shape a very big range of distortion tones, particularly for metal although there's nothing to stop you rolling back the distortion for other genres. // 8

Sound: I've played this pedal through lots of different amps - the better the amp, the better the overall sound (as you would expect) but the character of the MT-2 is strong throughout. Due to the way I have mine configured this means that this one pedal can make any amp I've tried sound like me, which is handy. I'm also generally confident with broadly similar settings across a range of guitars (although I back off the distortion a little on single coil guitars). The main gripe people seem to have with this pedal is that it generates a buzzy/fizzy/sterile sound. It certainly can do that and that's not my thing either! The trick is really understanding the EQ options which are really good on this pedal. I have my High at 1 o clock, my Low around 3 o clock, Middle around 10 o clock and Mid Freq around 4.30 - where they pretty much stay all the time, the distortion is the only thing I alter. This will give you a big heavy metal tone with a lot of chunk and thud but also sounds very musical and not at all buzzy. I play a lot of classic metal songs as well as prog metal and I can't really use the 'buzzy' sound in most of what I play. It isn't noisy at all with humbuckers unless you really Drive it crazy by compressing the hell out of the signal before the pedal or adding other overdrives in as well. I sometimes do these things and use a Boss NS-2 to take away the noise - but without these exceptions- it is not noisy at all. This is my favourite effects pedal (and I've owned a few!) // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very reliable, I've have mine around 11 years and done lots of gigs with it. Recently (last 2 weeks) I actually managed to damage the output socket and had to resolder it, but it has taken a bit of abuse of the years. It even got soaked in water once, stopped working for a few hours then was fine again when it dried out. Very reliable operation - not like some pedals which don't always activate - this one is ultra dependable. Yes, I'd gig without a backup - although I do have another distortion (Boss DS-1) in my chain which I could crank up if I really had to (generally I use the DS-1 for more classic rock sounds and as a solo boost). // 10

Overall Impression: As I mentioned above, I play mostly classic rock and metal with a bit of progressive rock/metal thrown in. I've been playing around 12 years, I'd definitely buy another if I lost it and I've never found a distortion pedal I get on with as well as this one. // 10

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 25, 2012

Price paid: € 110

Purchased from: Sound Shop

Ease of Use: Tough pedal to get used to with all the controls, but really worth your while playing around with the different settings and try out different setups. Best to write the ones you like down, because it'll be hard to get that exact tone back again. I wouldn't recommend this as a first pedal, its just to complicated. You're better off going for the DS-1, much cheaper and easier to use. // 5

Sound: Huge range of tones out of this pedal, from the obvious metal high end gain, to a more crunchy and punk tone. Like I said, you just have to play around with all the setting to find a tone you like. It might take a while to find it, but I promise you, give it enough time and you will find whatever tone you need. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Great quality pedal! I've had mine almost three years now, gigged the hell out of it and its still almost as good as new. Its taken falls, kicks, throws, bodies falling on it, and it still works perfectly. I've only had to tighten the jacks once after somebody fell and snapped the tip of the lead. // 9

Overall Impression: Great pedal, love the variety of tones you get! Used to play metal, hence why I got this, but now I play mainly punk rock at gigs, and classic rock at home, and I haven't found a need to get any other pedal yet. So ye, if you can manage getting the sound you want on an amp, you'll be able to manage this. If not, stay clear of this pedal, its just too complicated. // 7

MT-2 Metal Zone Reviewed by: THE ROZERS, on october 22, 2012

Purchased from: Absolute music (Poole)

Ease of Use: This pedal is relatively easy to use, it has miss high and low settings as well as mid freq, volume and distortion. It can be difficult to find the best setting (not as hard as some say) and the manual is a gives some good ideas to play with. // 9

Sound: I use this with a Peavey Vypyr 30 watt amp, and a Jackson JS32 Kelly and Ibanez GRG170DX. As well as a few times with a PRS Soapbar. The pedal is good at providing lots of distortion. But I found the sound very thin and lifeless. The shop gave me time to try it out on some kind of Blackstar amp and it sounded a lot better, but it doesn't suit my amp. // 7

Reliability & Durability: As with other Boss pedals, it is built very strongly, I've only had it a few weeks but I'm sure it could take anything I could do to it. I wouldn't need a backup if I were gigging with it. // 9

Overall Impression: I mainly play thrash metal; Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Anthrax etc. And with some amps, I think it would be great. I've been playing about 6 1/2 years but have only really started using pedals since I got an old Sound City SC30. Which was part of the reason I bought the pedal (its distortion a the moment is from a cheap Fab Metal pedal, and I thought I needed something better) as well as for use on my Vypyr. I like the amount of gain, and it does that job quite well, but its a shame about the tone I get, and I have spent 3+ hours trying to get it right.But I chose this over the metal core. If it were lost it stolen, I don't think I'd buy it again, and am trading it for the Proco RAT2 (which I would recommend over this, it sounds great and the sound can be varied enough to suit every amp I've tried on it). The rat also has a better range of gain.

// 7

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ GT-100 Amp Effects Processor 8 Guitar Effects 07/07/2014