OC-2 Octave Review

9.3
reviews (2) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
OC-2 Octave Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 02, 2011

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: This pedal is super easy to use. It comes with 3 control knobs; Octave 1, Octave 2 and the direct level. Its pretty self explanitory what they all do. Unfortunately because it is long out of production mine didn't come with a manual but it is literally that easy to use you really don't need one. // 10

Sound: I use this with a Parker P-42 and a Gibson Les Paul Special, with a bunch of other pedals (metal zone, synths phase shifter and delay) then into a Marshall 250dfx and it is fantastic. You can get some real beefy tones for riffing. I play alot of cKy stuff and seeing as they use the same pedal it is perfect for it. The only downside to the pedal is that the octave signal can break up a liittle when you play on the higher frets on the higher strings, but I hardly venture down that part of the guitar so it it's not much of a problem for me. I also own the newer Boss OC-3 and it just doesn't even compare to the OC-2. I have heard people say that there is no difference between the two but I personally think there is a massive difference, and the OC-2 just blows it away. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is the early 80's model, before it's name was changed to 'Octave', and I have neverhad a problem with it. It is around 30 years old and has never cut out or failed on me. Luckily I do have the OC-3 for backup but if it was broken/lost/stolen then I would definately Pick up another OC-2. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly cKy-esque stuff and this is great for it, but I also play stuff like clutch, and I can always fit the octaver into a clutch song, it just fits in with everything. As I mentioned above I have the OC-3 for backup but I would definatley replace it with another OC-2 if I had to. // 10

OC-2 Octave Reviewed by: DrCOOL, on february 18, 2014

Ease of Use: 3 knobs, Octave 1, Octave 2, and Direct Level (basically the blend of your guitars original tone). The operation is beyond simple. It's fairly easy to get good tones out of this brown little box. Just play around with it, tweak them knobs and find what you like. I didn't have a manual but BOSS did on their website for free download. Not that you need it for an effect this simple but just in case. There's really not much else to say about it. If you have trouble figuring that out then I don't know what to tell you. // 10

Sound: Well it's an octave pedal. This one can give you 1 and 2 octaves below your original note. Right off the bat I'll tell you this doesn't track chords. Forget about playing them with this engaged. But otherwise it does sound good. I haven't pumped it through the fridge of a rig yet. I have put it through my Line 6 Flextone II XL with one of my Les Pauls. With a humbucker and depending on how you set it up it can get a little muddy and weird on the lower strings. But with some tweaking you can find the sweet spots. I haven't tried it with any of my single coil equipped guitars yet but I feel it may lend itself better to that. It definitely fattens up lines and riffs though. You can reproduce some Van Halen parts (considering he did indeed use this model at a time) and CKY if that's your thing. And you can definitely get some cool blues and funk tones. Sounds good clean, overdriven and distorted. It's really a thing of playing with it and finding what you like. Muddy, bassy, clean, subtle, heavy, etc. It will do it. Not as well as new things today but still worthy for sure. For a real cool '70s tone throw this and a phase 90 on for lead passages. WARNING: Doing so may attract El Camino full of loose and ready to juice cheerleaders. // 8

Reliability & Durability: So I got this handed down to me 16 years ago. I never really used it because it never worked right. The reason for both of these is it was submersed in a flooded basement studio. Being a handy guy I decided to try and fix it. I took it apart and cleaned it up with some CRC 2-26 electrical lube and cleaner. THING WORKS LIKE NEW FROM 1982 now. Only thing I had to do was replace a missing knob. That said it's a BOSS and its built like a tank. I honestly thought the flooding was finally the thing that would kill a BOSS. I was wrong. Hell even the paint on it is near mint lol. That all said it gets a 10 for durability and reliability. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a variety of styles and have been for 18 years. The list of what I don't play is shorter. This is a thing I had sitting around and wanted to throw in for every now and then just to spice things up in certain spots of my music. It does what I wanted. Fattens up some riffs and licks, gets funky, does the '70s thing in conjunction with my Phase 90. It's a very cool effect but not something I'd use as a constant part of my overall tone. What I like is its simple operation and the fact that I was able to bring it back to proper working order. If it were stolen and I found another like it I'd replace it but I'd probably end up going with something different. I'd be angry though as this one is an original MIJ Octaver which is quiet collectible these days. Compared to others it's definitely not the best or be all end all of octave pedals. There are others better. But this is also no slouch. It sounds good, gets the job done and is reliable. If you find one for $20-$30 in a Pawn Shop, Guitar Shop, Craigslist, or eBay (watch out for the vintage prices on there) I'd say pick it up. It's worth a shot. // 9

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ CH-1 Super Chorus 8.3 Guitar Effects 04/03/2014