OD-3 OverDrive Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 06/22/2007 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: OD-3 OverDrive
Built in the tradition of the legendary Boss overdrives, the OD-3 OverDrive pedal gives guitarists a greatly expanded range of smooth overdrive tones and improved response while staying true to the original.
 Ease of Use: 9.5
 8.7
 9.3
reviews (4) pictures (2) 25 comments vote for this gear:
OD-3 OverDrive Reviewed by: karma_carver, on february 26, 2004

Purchased from: Rimmers Music, Blackburn

Ease of Use: The Boss OD-3 OverDrive pedal is a very simple plug-in-and-go footswitch. Just a few adjustments to the drive and level and you can go from Speed Meatl to over-driven blues. // 10

Sound: I am using an Ibanez RG270, GSA60, Gibson SG VooDoo, Gibson Les Paul Standard and Fender Telecaster... (not all mine, I own the RG270 and SG) and the Pedal sounds excellent on all of them. This Pedal never seems to lose tone, no matter how overdriven you go, the tonal quality is never hindered. The amps that I use: Marshall MG100DFX and Line6 Spider2 (the last two amps in the world that need effector pedals) manage the pedal wonderfully and can even change the overall sound quite nicely. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on this at a gig without a backup, but it is battery powered, so I would change the battery first. But it is very reliable, and the tough steel casing allows the pedal to be near unbreakable. // 8

Overall Impression: This is definitely a pedal that any good rock guitarist (maybe not punk, playing punk with pedals is a sin) should have as part of their rig. If it was liberated, or temporaryly misplaced I would buy another one, the price is reasonable, the sound is Grade A+ and the feel is superb. // 10

OD-3 OverDrive Reviewed by: Akonite, on november 11, 2006

Ease of Use: I Purchased my Boss OD-3 OverDrive pedal last month and it was a great purchase. It's a very simple pedal, with your basic controls (level, Drive, and Treble). The controls unfortunately the knobs aren't push in, their permanently sticking out of the pedal, and when playing, it sometimes interferes with your playing. The Manual for it was extremely pointless. All that was included in it was a serial number, and basic instructions. // 8

Sound: With the pedal I use a Fender Frontman 15G amp, with a squire stratocaster. The sound is excellent, and there is not a lot of the feedback. The pedal does not sound good all the time, the middle and treble knobs on the amp itself have to be set to a specific level, or the quality of sound drops sufficiently, as well it makes the amp a lot louder than it is supposed to go, which may cause future problems. The pedal gets the same sound as bands such as The Strokes, The Hives, and Wolfmother. The overall sound of the pedal is good, but could be better. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The pedal itself is very reliable. The electronics are very secure inside it due to harnesses holding them from getting tangled or wrecked. There is also a rubber strip on the pedal to prevent the player's foot from slipping, it's a good feature when it works, but it doesn't exactly work that well. I would definitely use it on a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Indie rock, and pop rock, and the pedal definitely suits that music style. I have been playing guitar for almost a year now, and the pedal is on of the best buys that I have made. I hope to buy some more of the Boss pedals, because I was very impressed with this pedal. The only thing I don't like about this product is that the knobs aren't push in and that when playing your foot sometimes messes up the settings, everything else I love. If it was stolen or I had lost it, I would definately go out and buy another one. // 9

OD-3 OverDrive Reviewed by: angus69, on april 25, 2006

Purchased from: guitar center

Ease of Use: It's very easy use, just three knobs, tone volume and gain no need for a manual, really. Perhaps beginners can have some help of the pictures in the manual saying: this is normal overdrive (50 volume/50 drive), this is how to use it as a booster (100 volume/0 drive), and this is how to use it as a dist-pedal (30 vol/90 drive). // 10

Sound: I use it with my Fender HM Strat Ultra with Lace Hot Golds and Breed in bridge, and with my old Gibson SG, into a Music Man 112-50 equipped with Electro-Harmonix two 6L6 and one 12AX7 tube. I use the Boss OD-3, into a Boss DD-3 Digital Delay, into a Boss CH-1 Super Chorus, into a MXR Phase 90, and normally into the amp's clean channel. Sometimes I switch over to the gain channel, which I set on quite low gain and somewhat higher volume, compared to the clean channel. My Strat sounds beautiful on the clean channel with this pedal, it's soft, stratty, elegant, focused, think Carlos Santana with a brighter Strat, and it roars when switching over to the gain channel. My Gibson SG sounds soft, spacy and jazzy with these pedals on the clean channel, and goes Angus-over-the-top when I Switch to the gain channel. The OD 3 pedal on the clean channel give the best Strat sound I ever heard. The sound from the gain channel is not exactly what I wanted with my Strat, but good enough. The gain channel in this amp is known to be tricky for Strats, but great with Les Pauls, and that is obviously the case also here. I also tested a RAT pedal to see if it had better high gain options, but I couldn't hear any significant difference. The OD-3 on max vol and Drive gives a tone quite similar to the RAT on medium dist, at least in my ears. Absolutly no noise! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have used my Boss DD-3 almost every day since 1988 and never had any problem. Oh yes, the small plastic component at the AC-input was broken once, so I had it replaced. But no other problem, so I would not expect any from this new one either. // 9

Overall Impression: I bought this pedal mostly to get a elegant tube overdrive sound for my Strat when playing jazz and jazz fusion, and that is exactly what it delivers. Also use it for the same purpose with my Gibson SG and with the same result: it's exactly the sound I was looking for. I have been playing Strats since the beginning of the '70s, but I went over to Gibsons because they were softer and warmer to get a decent jazz sound from. Now I bought a Strat to get a more spacy sound for jazz fusion and the sound I now get from my gear is just perfect. There's only this somewhat broken sound, mentioned above, when using the OD-3 in the the gain channel that bothers me now, but it's still ok. It could have been, and has been, much worse, and as said: this pedal in the clean channel give the best Strat sound I ever heard. I would definitely replace it if it was stolen or destroyed. // 10

OD-3 OverDrive Reviewed by: Shakalum, on june 22, 2007

Ease of Use: Like every trusty Boss pedal available, the merch came with a manual and various other pamphlets on proper usage and preparation for getting the right sound out of it. Of course, no one ever reads the manuals, because, frankly, you shouldn't need to on a Boss. Simplicity is the name of the game on the OD-3. Three knobs, level, tone, and gain, control the overall sound. A twist of the gain knob left yields a through-the-wall fuzzy sort of tone, whereas a spin to the right brings about bright, jangly Overdrive tones. Turning down the gain knob and matching the volume knob with the volume on you amplifier can convert the pedal to a simple yet powerful booster, as well. // 10

Sound: The effect of the OD-3 always sounds great. Rich, convincing Overdrive is the result of tapping this baby on, whether you're looking for just a light growl on a clean channel for a bluesy-esk tone, or if you want an almost over-the-top, thunderous Overdrive. The only objection I have to the sound of this pedal is that it gets a tad hissy once the tone knob is turned up past 3/4 of the way, but, then again, this is normal when boosting the treble to such high levels. I run this pedal through a Line 6 Spider II 112 75W amp with either and Ibanez RG5EX1 or an Epiphone SG-400, and it sounds great. With a little tweaking, I can milk a punk tone, Satriani solo-ish tone, or even a more distorted, hard rock tone. Not quite fit for metal though, due to the high treble sound and no bottom end "oomph". // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss. I've heard a story about a guy running over his Boss pedal with a semi-truck and having it pop the truck's tire. I've gigged with it numerous times with no backup, and was fine. I would suggest getting a PSA-120 9 volt adapter/power supply with it, just because of it's battery-draining nature. // 9

Overall Impression: I tend to gravitate towards playing harder rock, and this pedal provides me with a good clean to dirty switch. More often than most, I utilize it for the boosting feature, for say, solos and such. Besides that, it is an extremely versatile pedal that can do most everything except provide for those on the hardcore/metal bandwagon. Plus, it's cheap! I picked mine up for less than $50. It's a steal, and will last you for a long while. I own a number of different pedals, and this is by far the one I find myself using the most. // 8

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ CH-1 Super Chorus 8.3 Guitar Effects 04/03/2014