OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 06/21/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion
A flexible pedal capable of producing overdrive, distortion, or a combination of both. Get "in your face" distortion while maintaining the subtle nuances of single-coil guitar pickups.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Ease of Use: 9.2
 8.9
 8.7
reviews (23) 39 comments vote for this gear:
OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: slash_angus_VH, on december 06, 2005

Purchased from: Steve

Ease of Use: This pedal is so simple I didn't even look at the manual. Four knobs, one stomp unit. That's it. It's incredibly versatile, I can get tons of great sounds on it, playing with only two of the knobs (color and drive) these each control the balance between Overdrive and distortion (color) and how much it breaks up your signal(drive). I've heard people complain about the problem that OD pedals don't give a good bass sound and DS pedals don't give a good high pitch sound. this pedal solves that problem by allowing you to put the knob in between Overdrive and distortion! This is the perfect pedal for me. // 10

Sound: I run a Godin Freeway Classic through this pedal, then to a Marshall AVT 50. It sounds awesome. Small amount of static, especially at high gain but only noticeable when you're not playing. I'd say the only setting where it sounds weak is when the tone knob is at 0 to 2 out of 10. Boss have done an excellent job putting OD and DS into one pedal and allowing the user to mix them together. This pedal provide incredibly sonic variability without comprimising any sound quality along the way. This pedal will give a good sound for anything (and I mean anything) from Pink Floyd to Pantera. All the classic rock, metal, and bluesy sound you can imagine crammed into one pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is rock solid. It's built out of metal. I seriously think I could jump on it and it wouldn't break. I'd definitely use it at a gig without a backup (extra battery maybe). // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before, I play anything from soft rock to heavy metal. I think if I was a heavy metal affictionnado I'd be a little unsatisfied, but oh well. I've been playing for a year and a half, I've played at two gigs so far, and my band cover hard and acoustic rock. If it was lost, I would get another one. If it was stolen, I'd beat the motherf--ker's ass and take it back. I compared it to a bunch of other Boss pedals and I chose this one for its versatility. I wish it came with a power adapter. // 9

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: Xeus, on october 27, 2006

Purchased from: Sound Control

Ease of Use: Typically of Boss this pedal can get great sound and is very user friendly. It has 4 'knobs': level which controls the overall volume of the pedal, tone which allows the user to adjust between a tighter crunchier sound to a more bassy, grungy sound, drive which controls the amount of overdrive/ distortion and colour which lets the user blend between overdrive and distortion (the knob that made me choose this pedal among the countless others). Easy access to the battery compartment and has a socket to connect to the mains (unlike my Vox V874 wah which I've reviewed). Great! The manual didn't come with any preset settings instructions however there's a charming diagram of 6 sets of 4 dials so the user could write down their favourite settings. // 10

Sound: I'm using the pedal with a Ibanez AR-300 (which I've also reviewed) through an ME-50 then through into a Marshall MG100DFX. This pedal can go insane with all the dials turned to full but even then it's not neccesarily unpleasant, well to me anyway. The pedal has a very thick cutting sound and combined with the different overdrives/distortions and the built in compressor in my ME-50 I can get some beautiful tones. I play a lot of 'oldies' stuff like Hendrix, Sabbath, the Stooges, Lynard Skynard and the almighty Zeppelin but also play a lot of contemporary stuff like At the Drive-in, Bloc Party, QOTSA, Foo Fighters, Metallica, RHCP, Nirvana, the list goes on. Nevertheless this pedal caters to what I require. The stand out feature of this pedael was the Colour dial that allows to meander from a classy Overdrive to smack-you-in-the-face distotion, it was this versatility that made me go for this pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its a Boss, impenertrable like a Nun's underwear. I'd gladly gig without a back up. Plus it's a manly yellow that colour co-ordinates with the rest of my rig. The battery compartment is sealed by a screw at the front of the pedal and consequently allows for easy and secure access to the battery. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing the guitar since I was 8 and started electric 3 years ago when I was 15 and this pedal is a welcome addition to my tonal arsenal. If it were lost or stolen I'd be very unhappy and unwilling to buy it again straight away, but I know I would by the same model eventually (55 is a lot of money for a student). My favourite feature is the colour dial which really set it apart from the Boss pedals I tried. A cool thing I liked was that it came with a little poster of all the other Boss pedals which looks chipper on my wall. The ONLY snag is that it was a bit expensive, perhaps if it was 45 pounds, but this is only minor and I know I'll probably pass this down to my children (they'll play guitar goddamn it). All in all an excellent pedal. // 9

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 09, 2006

Purchased from: Savins Music

Ease of Use: Such an incredibly simple piece of equipment. I've only got this one pedal and the variety of sounds I can get out of it is incredible. Heavy rock, to light Chili Peppers distortion with a small adjustment. Definitely the pedal to get if you need a basic one starting off, but still keeps its quality for the most advanced guitarists. // 10

Sound: Incredible sound. I only have a small 10W amp that I got with my guitar, but still sounds great. Unfortunately haven't got the funds to buy bigger amp or pedals, but seeing as the Boss OS-2 is so good, there hasn't really been a need to. A simple kick on the pedal turns accoustic type chords into hard rock riffs. I'm a big Green Day, Chili Peppersa and Foo Fighters fan, along with other lesser know indie bands like Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Turn, Bell X1 and We Are Scientists, but the one pedal lets me get all the various sounds from the guitar. All in all, top quality sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had it over a year now and never had an ounce of trouble. It's been used in a few gigs and stood up to the test. Forced to use it without a backup because of the cost of buying a spare, but would prefer not to have to, because you never know what can go wrong in a gig. But from the experience I've had so far, I'd have no hesitation relying on it without a replacement. // 10

Overall Impression: It's a very good, very cheap alternative to other multi effects units. I've been playing about three years now, but only have the pedal and two Fender Squire guitars, because of budgetary constraints! The pedal really matches my music style because I love to play hard hitting rock riffs, but at the same time like a nice, easy, emotional acoustic number. And seeing as I'm too lazy to play the acoustic whenever I want a change of mood, the effects pedal is perfect. I would definitely recommend something like this for anybody thinking about purchasing the pedal. As far as I know there's a new version of the pedal out now, but I don't know if it's any good. The only thing I wish it had is a time delay switch, but then I suppose it would be a Distortion? Overdrive pedal then. All in all, a quality buy, top marks. // 10

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: Metallica708, on march 06, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal is really easy to use, and you still get a great sound. There are four knobs, level (volume), tone, drive (how distorted the sound is) and colour. Colour is the mix between Overdrive and distortion, meaning you can have complete distortion, complete Overdrive, or a mix of both. There is a manual for this, but you won't need it at all. I have read it, and it's very clear (which it would have to be if you didn't understand how to use the pedal). // 9

Sound: I play either an ESP LTD KH-602 or a Peavey Raptor through this into a Peavey Rage 158 (15 watt). Despite the poor amplifier, it still sounds great. It can have some feedback if you have high drive, and have single coil pickups and/or a faulty connection with the cables, but other than that, I can't find anything else wrong with it. I play stuff like metallica, and it can do that amazingly well. I also play Rage Against The Machine, the Ramones, Muse, Radiohead and a huge list of artists, and I can't find one that I can't get the sound of (unless its acoustic or something). The effect always sounds great, unless you put the distortion setting on your amp aswell, as that can really screw up the sound. However, I think this is something that happens with all amps/pedals. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it unless the battery runs out (a tip for people wondering why the battery is running out quickly, take the cable connecting the guitar to the pedal out of the input) so my only backup would be a battery. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, rock, alternative, indie, and it works for all of those styles of music. I have been playing for about 2 years, and this is my first and only stomp box, and as I got this as a present, I haven't had a chance to compare it to any other pedals. If it were stolen/lost, I might get this again, but I would experiment in the shop first, check out some digitechs, or maybe consider getting a MT-2 and a OD-3, so I could switch from Overdrive to Distortion quicker. The only thing I wish it could do is switch from Overdrive to distortion with a stomp, which would be cool. // 9

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: RelientKaddict, on april 03, 2006

Ease of Use: It was a Christmas gift. I love effects pedals, but, this one kicks major sound waves. Holy frickin' crap. I have never, ever, heard a pedal quite like this one. #1, no more seperate pedals for Overdrive and distortion. This one has them both, and you can blend them together. Oh, hell yes. That's what I'm talkin' about. Almost any sound that you get out of this is good. I played a heavy distorted song, which I'd never played before, and then a song with an even mix of the two, also a new song for me, and I set up the respective sounds in like, 45 seconds. I'm impressed. The manual tells what everything does. Not much more specific than that. The manual gets a 6/10. // 9

Sound: I use a Fender Mexican Stratocaster, and a Crate GX-10. That's the loudest 10-watt I've ever heard. It's deafening on 5. It's only noisy if you don't set the volume to match when the effect is on and when it's off, and it has its own dial for that. The effects are super strong with just about any volume level. I can go from Van Halen to AC/DC to Green Day to Relient K to Tool to just about any band that I listen to. The only one that it isn't perfect for is some of the early Beatles with some Overdrive. That doesn't sound to good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd use it without a backup. Of course. It's a Boss pedal, for crying out loud. You could lob one of these out of a second story window, and it'd still work (don't try that). It's not nice to abuse your gear on purpose. // 8

Overall Impression: I play rock, punk, hard rock, oldies, classic rock, metal, headbanger stuff, some alternative, and some folky stuff like James Taylor. No, it doesn't match with James Taylor. It goes great with everything else though. With the twist of a dial, you can get punk distortion, or classic rock Overdrive. Rock on. I've played for about 1 1/2 years. I own a Lotus bass, a Peavey bass amplifier, my Crate GX-10, a Bently electric guitar, a Casio keyboard, a Zoom 505 II guitar multi-effect pedal, and an Audio-Technica Mic. I didn't need much before I bought this. I'd buy it if it were lost or stolen, heck yes. I love, the sound and the flexibility. I hate the fact that you can't press the footswitch on stairs. (I play on our front porch steps alot during the summer). I didn't compare it with anything at all. I wish it had a metal Overdrive and distortion feature. // 10

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: athlete1, on august 18, 2007

Ease of Use: My OS-2 is completely stock, and I find it very easy to use.If you want crunchy sound adjust it to have more overdrive, and for squeal you adjust it to distortion, which is done by the color knob. For higher or lower tone you use the tone knob. For more or less color you use the Drive knob, and for more or less volume you use level. Very easy. // 9

Sound: It sounds pretty good. I use an Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 with a valvotronix adv30 amp, and I have found a number of tones, including Crazy Train and Master of Puppets, all the way up to Stop by Jane's Addiction. It covers a wide range of sounds, so it isn't the best at any one thing, but it does each sound well, which covers my needs just fine. Has a Paul Gilbert sound most of the time. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It seems to be durable. It is metal, so it is strong, and I have dropped mine a few times and it holds up fine. It also has rubber feet so it doesn't slide around. I would definitely trust it in a gig. I don't see how it would break in a gig. Battery life is short though. Buy an adapter. // 9

Overall Impression: It does fine in any style of music, because of how many sounds it can make. I feel great about buying it because it seems to be a long term investment. I have had no problems with it for the past six months, and have never heard of any one else having any problems. I have been playing a while so I have used other distortion pedals and this one is probably my second favorite. I like it because it is usually close to Paul Gilbert sound. I will buy another when something happens to this one. The only thing I wish it had was an adapter, but I bought one. I hated the short battery life. // 8

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: MadAudioMan, on december 02, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: This pedal is fairly easy to get a good sound out of, though don't believe the name, it's not really built for an OD sound, the color knob is pretty much like another Drive knob, giving you light, medium or heavy distortion. The other knobs are pretty straight forward, the EQ knob can be adjusted from the midpoint for more lo-mids or high-mids, it doesn't really add treble or bass, it just find tunes the mids, and if you leave it in the middle it has a somewhat thrashy sound. The manual is good, it tells you what each knob does and how to set the pedal up. Though you probably won't need it. Manual is good, doesn't give an OD tone. // 8

Sound: I play through a Hartke Kickback 120w SS Bass Amp, it's got no distortion or OD of it's own, so I'm forced to use pedals with it if I need some distortion. I've also tried it with a Pignose G40v all-tube amp. I play with a Washburn Lyon guitar, not the best, but it's okay. The pedal can get noisy if you crank any of the knobs up past 5'o clock, but you won't have to crank them up that much anyways to get a nice sound of out the pedal. The effect works well, you can get a good range of tones from it, not massive, but it works pretty well for anything from Blues (Drive and Color at 10'o clock, EQ at about noon)and Rock (Pretty much the same as blues, but about 12-2'o clock, EQ to your liking). You can also get a fair thrash/death metal tone from the pedal, the color knob at about 5'o clock or higher if you don't mind noise, and crank the Drive the EQ to about 4'o clock, it has an Anthrax sound through my set up, pretty much the exact guitar tone from A.I.R or anything off Among the Living. I can get the sounds of a lot of rock/metal artists, though it doesn't work to well for an OD sound, ie classic rock, or stuff like Rush and similer bands. It doesn't have a very OD-like tone, so it's more suited to styles with distortion. One thing I'd like to say though, I've played this pedal with two tube amps, a Peavey 112 Valveking combo, and a Pignose G40v, and it sounded like **** through both of them, though it sounds great with my SS amp... So, maybe something to think about if you have a Peavey or Pignose amp, or something similer. tl; dr: Sounds from blues to metal, don't turn the knobs past 4'o clock without a noisegate, doesn't seem to work too well with tube amps. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is made by Boss, so it could easily survive anything except maybe being dropped in water for awhile. it's extremely tough, though it eats up batteries pretty quickly, my batteries (Duracells, not cheap ones), lasted about 7 hours. So an adapter would be good, especially at a gig, I wouldn't trust it on batteries. I would use this without a backup at a gig, aslong as I have an adapter, and there are no pools around. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock and metal, it works well for most sounds, except a classic rock sound, which it doesn't do to well. It has a very unique sound in general though. I've been playing for about a year, and this is probably my favorite distortion pedal I've played with. I somewhat wish I had known it wasn't quite an OD pedal, but it's nothing serious. If it were stolen or lost I'd probably buy another one, or maybe a Metal Muff... Overall, this is probably one of Boss's better distortion pedals, it's a lot fuller then the DS-1s and DS-2s and miles ahead of the ****ty metal-zone stuff. And holds it's own against other distortion pedals. // 8

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: obeythepenguin, on june 25, 2009

Ease of Use: The controls on this pedal are extremely easy to use. There is a manual, but you won't need it except maybe the back where you can write in your favorite settings for later use. Basically you've got the usual three level/tone/drive controls, plus a fourth that lets you dial in light Overdrive, heavy distortion, or -- and this is where the pedal really stands out -- anything in between. Very simple. // 10

Sound: The guiding question above, however, was "how easy is it *to get a good sound*" (emphasis added), which is a different story altogether. Now, in fairness to Boss, this is only my experience, and I'm not using top-of-the-line equipment here -- Fender MIM Strat, Crate GLX30 (solid-state), and the cheap plastic cables the store threw in for free. But I must be blunt here: Every setting I've tried has sounded absolutely awful. First of all, I bought this because my amp's built-in distortion is extremely heavy and has quite sensitive controls. This pedal is entirely the opposite way; I usually had the 'Drive' setting between 1/4 and 1/2 of the way up before I could hear anything noticable. Even turned all the way up, with 'Color' set at solid distortion, it's nowhere near as heavy as my amp at Drive 2 or 3 -- this is not a metal distortion pedal. It isn't even classic/hard rock heavy, although part of that may be because I have all single coils and not humbuckers. My main complaint, however, is the way this pedal screws with the guitar's tone. Again, this may just be cheap cabling, but simply plugging in the pedal -- without turning it on -- takes out most of the bass and mids, resulting in a sharp, unpleasant trebly tone. Since another thing I liked about a pedal was switching between clean/dirty tones on a whim, the interference here -- again, turned off and on a completely clean sound -- was a real deal-breaker. Furthermore, when turned on, the Drive mainly affects the treble sound, regardless of how you set the tone controls. I can understand that a combo pedal would hardly be the best of either world, but this to me is simply unacceptable by any standard. // 2

Reliability & Durability: On the bright side, this pedal has suffered quite a bit of abuse resulting from my, erm, frustration in finding a good sound. I have yet to so much as dent the casing. If it weren't for the rather fundamental flaw detailed above I'd happily gig with it with no more backup than a spare 9v battery. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very well-designed, usable, and practically indestructible pedal that, unfortunately, is unusable for its terrible sound. It makes sense that it would sound awful on cheap equipment, of course, but in a sense it's kind of odd, too -- after all, a combination pedal would appeal to cash-strapped musicians such as myself Who couldn't afford two great pedals, but at least could buy one OK-ish one. Again, this is just my experience, and if you've gotten a good sound, more power to you. However, I personally cannot recommend this pedal. Considering Boss's pretty good reputation, I frankly expected better. // 3

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 01, 2003

Purchased from: Mars Music

Ease of Use: This pedal mixes the effects of Distorsion, and Overdrive, but it doesn't have a knob for each, so you have to find the balance between the two. When you turn the knob all the way to the left you get pure Overdrive, vice versa for pure Distorsion. Everything else about the pedal is smooth as butter. // 8

Sound: I've used this pedal with three different amps, my Fender frontman 25, a friend's 15 watt Ibanez, and another friends 20 watt crate amp, as well as plugged it into a Yamaha emx660 600-watt mixer, and I'm always able to get amazing sound out of it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would/do use this pedal without a backup on all my gigs, the battery life seems to only be about 12-15 hours or so, so I would recommend making sure you have extra batteries around somewhere. // 10

Overall Impression: I usually play punk and regular rock, and this pedal works awesome for both. I can't think of anything this pedal needs, it is absolutely perfect for distorsion sound, not to expensive, and seems to be very well-made as well as backed up by a five-year warranty. If all you need is a good distorsion pedal, I would highly recommend getting one of these, or a regular DS-1 pedal($39) if $75 sounds like too much. // 10

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: danc446, on december 10, 2003

Purchased from: N/A

Ease of Use: The OS-2 is a very easy to use piece of equiptment, which is probably why Boss didn't waste their time on the manual... The analog controls are perfect for this unit because it allows the user to fine-tune his/her sound. The analog control can be set in ways to combind both Distortion and Overdrive, resulting in a unique yet usable sound. The more time you take to fiddle with it, the better sound you get. // 8

Sound: I have used various Ibanez, Gibson, and Epiphone guitars, and Crate and Marshall amps, with this pedal and have gotten similar results with all of them. The box has great range, but it can clash with your pre-amp settings if you aren't careful, and produce a pretty crappy sound. The emphasis of this box is its versatility. I play Punk, Hardcore and even some good ole Hard Rock and the results are beautiful. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is one reliable piece of equiptment. It is one of my two boxes I use for distortion and although I try to have a backup at all times, this box doesn't need one. However, the battery does need to be changed (for me) after 8 months of intense use. Also, even after being thrown around and dropped multiply times, the box shows NO wear and tear AT ALL. A very sturdy piece of equiptment indeed. // 10

Overall Impression: This box IS versatility. It covers everything from Punk and Hardcore to Hard Rock. I am happy with the box and would recomend it to any serious rock guitarist. It's great for stage use and practice. It has become a staple in my rig. Four cheers! // 8

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 27, 2005

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

Ease of Use: It is so simple to use all you do is fiddle around with four knobs. The manual for it just discribes what the controls on it do. The controls are level - the amout of volume produced, tone - the amout of treble added in your sound, drive - the amount of Overdrive or distortion, and color - the mix between distortion and Overdrive. // 10

Sound: Now matter how much you mess around with the controls it will still sound good, it dosen't give you thet fuzz like with most pedals, I use a Fender Showmaster connected to a Fender 212 amp and it sounds awesome. When you put it on full distortion it sounds like the Boss Metal Zone, if you put it on Overdrive it sounds like a mix of the OD-2 and the BD-2. Personal I found the best sound ever with these settings level 10 o'clock, tone 12 o'clock, drive 5 o'clock, and color at 9:30, it sounds great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's very reliable, just like every Boss pedal I own. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from classical to metal and this pedal will suite you from everything to lite rock to metal. I've only been playing a year but I practice alot. I had tested this product before I bought it and I liked it just as much at hame as at the music shop. It were stolen I would buy a new one because this pedal has every sound on it I need. My favorite feture on it is the color settiong, absolutly amasing. I wish it had an EQ on it like the metal zone but all amps have that so it dosen't matter. // 10

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: allchavsrgay, on february 22, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal is a simple pedal with four knobs (don't get any ideas). The first is for level of the sound and I find that less than half way up will be louder than the clean off the amp. The second just changes the volume and drive which isn't to useful but hay its there. The third is drive with this you can change the amount of distortion/overdrive you want. And the fourth is colour witch you can change from distortion to Overdrive or just get it in the middle. There is a noticeable difference in all of the knobs witch is one of the things you should always look out for when buying a pedal. I find this pedal easy to change about as it is so simple and effective and in the middle of songs its easy to change in time at the right moment. // 8

Sound: I was using an Ibanez on a marshal amp. The sound of the Overdrive is a really nice distortion clear sound perfect for lead guitar and rhythm. The distortion can get a bit powerful but if you want that that's good. I find that its hard to do nice lead guitar with the distortion up full. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is extremely dependable I have had it for well over a year and I only have changed the batteries once. I have never had problems with it and I seem to have problems with everything related to guitar that I buy. I would recommend this for a gig as there is not much of a chance that is will cut out or mess up through a song. // 10

Overall Impression: I found this pedal really good. You can use it for all different styles from punk to Death Metal. I would recommend this for a first pedal or a Overdrive pedal. I have to an ME-50 and the sound on the OS-2 still sounds a bit better and its over 100 cheaper but obviously has less effects. If I got this pedal stolen it would defiantly be the first pedal I buy. // 9

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: tommilee, on february 27, 2006

Purchased from: www.Piedog.com

Ease of Use: This pedal is perfect for any rock song its very easy to create totally different sounds just by turning one knob around. The manual isn't relly that useful but it has space to store what effects you find good so that you don't forget them but there arn't that many and mines full already. // 9

Sound: With my pedal I am using a Marshall 100W amp and a Vintage VRS 100 guitar. The sound is great although when you turn it full wack it gets a bit crackly and when you have full distortion and lowest tone it goes crackly aswell. All the effects on this pedal are different if you turn just one knob it changed the entire effect so there is lots of vriation. The distortion effects are amazing just what you want I've got this pedal and I don't see the point in any of the Mega Distortion pedals unless you are doing relly heavy stuff but you can also play heavy on this. The Overdrive is awsome you can play loads of "Queens Of The Stone Age" on it and it sounds perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: With this pedal I would take it to a gig but not without the power adapter because the battery isn't vewry long lasting id say it lasts about 50 hours before you have to change it wich sounds quite good but when you have a gig coming up I suggest using the the power adapter as the battery could go an then you have no effects. // 8

Overall Impression: I play anything from Green Day to The Darkness and this pedal covers all the effects I need for most of the songs with distortion and Overdrive, it really is worth getting this and as it is 2 pedals in one it saves space. I have been playing guitar since I was 5 years old and this is the most useful pedal I have seen without using a big multi effects pedal. If this pedal was stolen I'd kill the person that stole it and get it back this pedals awesome! My favorite feature is the tone so you can quickeley change from low distortion to high destortion withought changing the pedal or delaying the start of your next song. I compared it with some Ibanez pedals and tried them out but they just didn't have the same variety as the Boss pedal. // 10

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: lylewithans182, on july 14, 2007

Ease of Use: I found the pedal very easy to use. It has four nobs and is very easy to understand. The level adjusts how much output the pedal has (increases volume for sure), the drive does exactly what it says it does, and the tone is for exactly what it says. The color knob gives you the range between overdrive and distortion, and in the middle there's a balance. // 10

Sound: I use two different guitars, an Epiphone LP Custom and a Modified Strat with A Dimebucker, sustainer and hot rails and play through. It allows you to get a heavier distorted sound than the DS-1 does, while also alowing you to have a small amount of distortion with the driven sound. Crate DSP 15, Fender Reverb and Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. This pedal gives my crappy Crate a good driven sound, and turns my Fenders into metal amps, especially the Hot Rod deluxe, on which the pedal sounds best. WIth the Overdrive, you can get the Iron Maiden sound, at about 1 o'clock you can get good Metallica sound, and a little bit more gives me BFMV and Trivium. I like to use chorus and reverb in the songs I play, and this pedal works well there too. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I did have a problem with it. A year after I'd had it the pedal stopped working. It would be off and sound fine clean, but when I turned on the distortion nothing came out. I unscrewed the back of it and pushed on the electronic bored a bit and it was fine. It was kind of wierd but now it works fine. Also, the pedal seems like it would last a bomb blast, and I would use this definately while playing live. // 8

Overall Impression: This music fits my style of music perfectly. I can get all the tones I want. The pedal is perfect my music, and works well with heavier music I play. If I lost it, I might get the distortion factory or metal zone, but that's just because they have even more options (but I higher price tag). If you're looking for either overdrive or distortion, don't bother w/ the DS-1 or OD-1, get this. // 9

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: MmmCesium, on january 16, 2008

Purchased from: Music Go Round

Ease of Use: The four knobs are very simple: level, tone, Drive, and colour. All the tones it offers are easily accessible. Even thought I do not have a manual, I did not even bother to download one because it is so easy to use. There is an input and an output jack. This is even more simple. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal with a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, a few other pedals, a Laney GC 30 or various Peavey models, and a Fender Cyclone or MIM Stratocaster. It is noisy when you turn the Drive or the tone up very high, but this is a distortion/overdrive pedal and that is to be expected. The Overdrive setting is so-so, the distortion setting is good, and the Overdrive mixed with distortion is so-so mixed with good. This pedal doesn't get my any particular guitarist's sound but sounds decent. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss pedal. Even though I bought it used with more scratches than everything else I own combined, it still works every time I turn it on. The AC adaptor slot was broken when I bought it, but I knew this and it works fine on batteries. The battery life never exceeds five hours though, so I would like to get the adaptor slot fixed. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from metal to Radiohead, and this pedal, especially the pure distortion setting, works nicely. For a different distortion effect, put this on almost pure distortion, drive 100%, tone to liking, and then put that through a fuzz pedal like the Big Muff or a Fender Blender. This really makes the harmonics ring and makes it really distorted without being too much. // 8

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: even_flow, on may 05, 2008

Purchased from: Sound Control

Ease of Use: Very easy to use. The pedal has four controls - Level (effects the volume), Tone (basically the same as on your guitar - whether your sound is trebly or bassy), Drive (how distorted or overdriven the sound is) and Colour (what mix of Overdrive and distortion you're using). All pretty self explanatory, and can easily go from an Eric Clapton to Mark Knopfler, Slash, etc. Replace the battery the same as other Boss pedals, by unscrewing the thumscrew at the bottom of the footswitch and flipping it up. Not much else to say - Just plug it in, turn it on and just about every tone from there til when you Switch it off is pretty sweet. // 10

Sound: Can definitely compete with other pedals as far as volume is concerned, but isn't too loud that the tiniest knock to the volume knob is blowing your eardrums out. As I've said, I've not found a sound I didn't like, and I've been using it a lot recently for learning Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits, which is an easy tone to get on the OS-2. Also been playing stuff by Cream, GnR, Deep Purple, Black Label Society and so on, and haven't had any problems getting the right tone. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Personally, the pedal feels kinda weak to me. It's the second pedal I've owned, the first being the DigiTech Grunge Pedal, and comparatively, this one is almost flimsy. That said, I've had no problems with it and I don't honestly think that it'll break, though there are sturdier ones out there. I probably would want a backup though I wouldn't stress over it and I doubt I'd need one. I've had no problems with the battery running out quickly, and all the electronics have been working great since I got it. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great pedal. It's got great Drive and good distortion, though if you're looking to Switch between the two midsong, you shouldn't rely on this since you need to stop to twiddle controls. I've used this for Blues, Classic Rock and Metal and I've seen no problems with it, though the distortion isn't as heavy as I'd like sometimes. Compared with the other Boss overdrives I tried when testing, this is definitely the best in my opinion, and it even seems to do blues better than the Blues Driver IMO. Excellent pedal all round. // 10

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: rise_against_23, on june 11, 2009

Price paid: C$ 99

Purchased from: Kings Music

Ease of Use: This pedal doesn't look like much, but it packs a punch. It has alot of Drive, but thats about it. It will play just about anything, but it only play certain types of music good (i.e metal, rock & classic rock). However, it will play those types of music amazingly well. Another downside is that you have to do ALOT of messing around to find the right sound. // 8

Sound: I'm using a Yamaha Pacifica 112 thru a Yamaha 19w. amp. The volume of the pedal will change the amount of distortion that is being used, which isn't always a good thing. It is intended for metal, and sounds great when you play Metalica, Systeme of a Down or Rise Against. Its good for every any part of the song, expecialy the solo. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal has never let me down. It only needs a new battery once a month or so, I would have total confidence with it on stage, but thats just because I can't afford a backup pedal. Well, what do you expect? It's a Boss. The only thing is that on occaision the knobs will shift around and that will effect the tone, obviously. // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play Metal and classic rock, and since this pedal has both Overdrive and Distortion, all my needs are met. I've had it for nearly 3 months, and I have never had a bad expiriance. If for some reason, me and my pedal got seperated, I would definetly get it again. I love the type of music that it plays, but thats just me and my tastes. // 9

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: mrmystic, on november 02, 2009

Purchased from: Bookmans

Ease of Use: I bought this used so I didn't have a manual to learn from, but I didn't need it anyway. Even for someone just starting to learn about distortion this is incredibly simple to use and get a good tone. It has four knobs that control tone, Drive, color, and level. Overall very simple. // 9

Sound: While my setup is not the best, I am running an old Hamer strat rip off through a rage 158 practice amp and I still get a good tone out of it. The effects are strong enough, but rarely overpowering. I have been able to find many artists tone with this pedal including Slash, Hammet, and Buckethead. It just takes time to mess around with this to find them, and when you do be sure to record them for later use. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on it at a gig, but the one thing I found out the hard way is watch the battery cables and the spring on the inside. I split the wires on accident by just tossing the battery in and not checking to make sure they weren't in the spring. I was forced to replace the solder the wires back together and wrap them in electrical tape. Still works though. The only issue as caused by my stupidity. // 8

Overall Impression: I play everything from blues to metal, and this will adapt to basically any genre you can think of. If it was lost or stolen I would have to watch used stuff at stores around me since I can Live without a pedal, but I would be hoping to find this at a store for under $50 again. I would not pay full price though. I just wish it came with a list of settings used by artists so you don't have to mess around for hours to find that certain tone you need. // 8

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: Ziggy of Mars, on june 29, 2010

Purchased from: craigslist

Ease of Use: This box is incredibly easy to use and there was absolutely no learning curve at all. Within a few hours, I could already find all the tones and drives I like. It's easy for one to learn all the knobs quite quickly. To be honest, I didn't even touch the manual. This stompbox is so easy to learn. I don't know the firmware revision number and this box hasn't been upgraded, but one doesn't need to. One can find any distorted and driven tone they like. // 10

Sound: I use my Fender Standard Stratocaster LH through my Vox V847 Wah into my Line 6 Spider III 15W amp, however am getting a Marshall full stack within the month. The effects are far from weak, you can get screaming lead tones for metal, or a simple Overdrive for classic rock and some new wave/indie stuff. This stompbox provides countless tonal options to find your perfect OD or DS tones. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Honestly, one can not go wrong with the reliability and durability of a Boss stompbox. These things are built like tanks. I guarantee they won't break on me. I wouldn't need to have a backup OD pedal. I already have a power supply and like I said built like tanks. They aren't going to just give out on you. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from punk to classic rock, to Indie rock. I play ska as well, but you don't really need OD for it. Perfect match for my style, you can find any OD or DS tone you like with a wide spectrum of sounds. If it were lost, I'd probably go with an OD-3, Electro Harmonix Big Muff w/ Tone Wicker or Fulldrive 2 MOSFET as my Overdrive pedal However this is certainly an adequate pedal for OD. I like everything on it, except the DS side on the color knob, I just don't like its tone. OD is the way to go for the tones I like. The biggest reason I bought this is because the price was right. I compared with the EHX and Fulldrive boxes. Both great boxes as well. // 9

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 17, 2010

Ease of Use: It is self explanatory and very easy to use, but takes a little knob twisting to find a good sound. It is basically a combination of Boss' OD1 Overdrive and DS1 distortion pedals, with a knob to move between the two tones or get an in-the-middle blend. Comes with a gain, vol, color (to alternate between distortion and overdrive) and tone controls. // 8

Sound: I use this with a PRS mahogany guitar and a Fender Frontman 212. I got the pedal to improve on the amp's gain channel, which is a bit muddy, although pleasing but only on the mellow Overdrive side. Has no range and is to aggressive at high settings. I orginally expected to replace the amp's Drive channel altogether, but the Boss doesn't really sound good on its own. With the knob all the way to Overdrive and not too much gain it sounds ok alone, but in general I only got satisfying results when using it as a boost on top of the gain channel with it set at a low crunch. It took a while to find it, but now that I know what to do I get a Killer tone that can range from classic rock to metal. The other cool thing about using it on top of the amp's Drive is that you get a variety of options. I can Switch from totally clean to crunch without the Boss and once I need a harder tone hit the pedal, then if I need a boost hit the Fender's boost footswitch and it increases the volume dramatically, but not too much to overshadow the rest of the band. All this while remaining pretty tight, as long as I don't push the gain past 4 on the Fender and about half at the most on the Boss. However, with a hollowbody I have the gain needs to be a good bit higher as the pups are weaker. It doesn't feed back uncontrollably though, no more than with just the amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss pedal, they're as tough as it gets. Yes, I have and will use without a backup. I can't speak to how Boss customer service treats you since I've never had to use them. But I've owned many Boss pedals, most bought used with chipped paint and scratches all over, and have yet to experience one fail. // 10

Overall Impression: After years of playing I've come to the conclusion that distortion boxes are really only good as a compliment to a good amp that already drives some. I would approach this stompbox no different than a tubescreamer, just more flexible. It only sounds good as a boost on top of your amp's overdrive. Don't buy this expecting to replace what you already got. But then again, this is among the very best stompbox distortions I've had. I tried it right alongside an Original Ibanez Ts9 in the store and found this was pretty much the same sound, with the addition of the harder edge distortion side. I got this to replace a DigiTech multieffects unit that crapped out on me. I first tried out several modelling units in the store and reached the conclusion that technology still doesn't come up with the perfect recreation of a good ol' fashion hard-driven tube amp, so to hell with it, I'll just to the traditional route on the cheap and get a good stompbox. If used properly, you can get a ripping distortion second only to an all tube amp and still better than those cardboard sounding models. // 8

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 01, 2011

Ease of Use: Very easy to use and get a good sound out of it, as are most Boss pedals. Yes it comes with a manual but you won't need it because the controls are self explanatory. Very easy to use and get a good sound out of it, as are most Boss pedals. Yes it comes with a manual but you won't need it because the controls are self explanatory. // 10

Sound: I use this mainly to complement the Drive channel on my 100W Fender Frontman solid state amp and the results are really pleasing. I can get it to augment the Drive without increasing volume or altering the tone of the amp, or can use it as a boost to increase volume and gain, or just volume, or shape the tone. I can get a wide range of rock tones, from smooth classic Santana to Hendrix and even into metal territory, although a metalhead would probably prefer the metal zone to this. Now to judge the pedal on its own: I don't really care for its sound not combined with the Drive on my amp and would only use it that way to practice, never play live. It sounds harsh and squeely. However, when I bought this I compared it directly alongside an Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9 and found this Boss with the color knob rolled all the way to overdrive, that it sounded almost identical. Plus, the Boss is much more versatile, and cheaper, so I went with it instead. One thing to keep in mind though, the reviews and manual state it is voiced for a single coil guitar. I use humbuckers so this might be a disadvantage but I've found all that really means is I have to roll the tone a little forward for more grit if I want that. One disadvantage is the noise. When not playing this thing hums a lot. Might want to get a noise supressor to tame this. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss pedal so I imagine it can pretty much go to war and come back in one piece. I've collected several of these boxes over the years and usually second hand, with chips and scratches all over the place, and have yet to have one fail on me. Particularly live they are great because they come with an electronic footswitch that activates instantly and silently, unlike many pedals out there that have a time laps and/ or footswitch noise that can make you sound a little amateur live. It's always good to carry a spare battery because this thing does eat up power quickly. // 10

Overall Impression: I'd say it's one of the best distortion/overdrive pedals I've had in every aspect and an excellent value. However I'd still like to stress that if you really want to get a great rock sound, you shouldn't rely exclusively on any distortion pedal. This is why all our favorite guitarists usually either get their gain from the amp's natural breakup, or with a pedal combined, but never just the pedal on its own. // 9

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 17, 2011

Ease of Use: It is easy enough to use but not necessarily easy to get a good sound out of it. You don't need a manual as it is pretty self explanatory. As far as pedals go, as easy as it gets. I'm rating it 10 in this section because I'll address the ease of getting a good sound in the following section. // 10

Sound: I use this with a PRS guitar with humbuckers and a Fender 2X12 tube amp as a tone-shaping and gain adding tool, not as a standalone pedal. I thought it would replace the gain channel on my amp, which is too muddy for my taste although I do like it's overall character. I was wrong. The pedal directly into the clean channel sounds shrill, squeely and artificial, downright nasty on any setting. So I run it only on the amp's Drive channel. Used that way, I immediately notice more clarity, tightness and a wide range of gain that can take me from classic rock or blues into metal. The color knob according to the instructions shifts from Overdrive to distortion. But according to my ear, it's really a mid and treble boost/cut. The further pushed to the distortion side the less mids and more treble you have, but nicely because it doesn't reduce your vol. Or ability to cut through the mix that much. That knob combined with the pedal's own tone knob (low/high) and the traditional three ones on the amp, allows for serious tone-shaping options. If you have the color knob all the way to overdrive, it sounds remarkably similar to a tubescreamer and great for classic rock. In fact, I tried it in the store directly alongside a TS9 and arrived at the conclusion that this Boss was the same thing with the distortion sound added to it, so I got this. To put things into perspective, I also thought the tubescreamer sounded like crap straight into the clean channel so it's safe to say I would use any distortion/overdrive pedal only as an aid to my amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Boss pedals are all built like tanks so they can take nuclear war. I'd gig without a backup sure, but would have spare batteries or a powersupply. But the thing actually eats through batteries slowly compared to other pedals I have, such as a chorus also by Boss that eats though batteries like there's no tomorrow. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for over 15 years and play several styles but with the setup mentioned here I do blues, classic rock, hard rock and heavy metal. I think for harder types of metal, this probably isn't brutal enough but for the others it's great. I would suggest running a Compressor and noise gate in front of it though, as it is a bit noisy. I compared this to the tubescreamer, other Boss pedals and ones by Digitech, in addition to some digital modelling effects. The verdict: if you have a nice tube amp and want to compliment it, this is the ticket. Either this exact pedal or one similar; they are all pretty much the same among the quality peers. But if you plan to run it standalone, just don't. Get a multieffects box with digital modelling instead. It will give you a much more realistic tube overdrive/distortion sound. // 8

OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion Reviewed by: ShaneCallaghan, on june 21, 2011

Price paid: € 55

Purchased from: Reynolds Music Letterkenny

Ease of Use: It's quite easy to get a nice sound out of this, just fiddle with the overdrive/distortion control and dial it in to suit you. I've lost the manual for this thing years ago, but we'll just say it's like the other Boss manuals and it's good. // 8

Sound: I use high output Pick ups on my guitars and I can get a heck of a lot of harmonics with this little beasty, it's not a hign gain pelvis crusher but it will rock the crap out of ya. I love this thing for Thin Lizzy covers. It's a bit noisy but the crunch more than shadows that fault. Sometimes it gets a bit weak, but I think that's a mains issue (I hate Irish ESB supplies). The Overdrive can give your sound a nice boost but it isn't subtle in any way. It's more of a "I want to Drive the sh-t out of my amp". // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's built like a Boss, so it's like a tank. But smaller, and more reliable. I have used this pedal many times without need for a back up as I know it's gonna be fine. // 9

Overall Impression: This gets a nice rock crunch, I'd say a wee bit of Slash if you fiddle with it enough, definately a bit of Lizzy and AC/DC. I use this for any rock sound I want, cos it can get it. I wish I saved up for a Metal Zone before I got this, cos I think the Metal Zone would get the extremem high gain that I always want. If it were stolen, I would try the seperate BOSS DS-1 and the Boss OD-3. // 9

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ GT-100 Amp Effects Processor 8 Guitar Effects 07/07/2014