PW-10 V-Wah Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 01/10/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: PW-10 V-Wah
This first-of-its-kind programmable modeling wah gives you instant access to six classic and modern wah pedal sounds.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.9
 Ease of Use: 7.3
 7.2
 6.4
reviews (16) pictures (2) 31 comments vote for this gear:
PW-10 V-Wah Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 28, 2005

Purchased from: Sam Ash, Cerritos, CA

Ease of Use: The basic sounds are great from the get go, and it's pretty obvious and easy to use. The manual is clear and makes sense. The only problem is that when you want to start editing the onboard distortions and the wah "q" settings and such, it becomes a real bitch, but once you get past the frustration, it becomes an invaluable pedal. // 6

Sound: I use this wah with my Ibanez Jet King or RG350DX straight to either a Fender Frontman 15G or my beloved Vox Brian May Special. The overall sound is great, even from my crappy little Fender pracice amp. Unfortunately, I don't use any other effects in the signal path, because the wah doesn't have a hardwired true bypass, and it muddys up the signal with other effects. The wahs are excellent, some like the bad horsie emulation are not exactly spot-on, but they still sound great anyways. The onboard distortions are alright, mostly because they're a b--ch to set up, but are best suited for practice, with the exception of the preset distortion/wah combos (accessible by putting pressure on the heel of the wah, and cycling through the red, green and yellow colors of the led), which sound amazing. You can get sounds from an excellent funk wah sound, to the Kirk Hammett wah, to crazy synth indutrial-ish sounds, to some weird talking sounds (you can literally make your guitar say "oh yeah!" and "wow"). // 8

Reliability & Durability: Dude, it's a Boss! This thing is built like a tank. Sure, it's larger and heavier than most wah pedals, but I can step on it with my huge size 11 harley davidson boots, and it can take the abuse. I've dropped it, and it still works great. I'm going to use it at a gig in may without a backup, because I won't need one (of course, I will take out the 6 AA batteries and use a power adapter). It's all-metal construction and 5 year warranty guarantee I can use this for years to come. // 10

Overall Impression: I love it! I've been playing for 3 years now, and it suits my versatile style just right. I play everything from old school funk like brick house to Killswitch Engage and Manson stuff to Ozzy and such. It tries too hard to replace your entire wah/distortion setup you may have, and falls short of doing so. But, it is a great standalone wah with a variety of sounds, and if you somehow forget your distortion pedal at home, this will pull you through at a gig. I compared it to the wahs that it modeled (Crybaby, Vox, Bad Horsie, etc.) and chose this because it could those basic sounds and more. If it got stolen, I'd hunt the guy down, force him to give it back, and smack him upside the head with it, which would really hurt. The only thing I wish it had was true bypass. // 8

PW-10 V-Wah Reviewed by: JL Sevenfold, on september 14, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal creates a very high quality and heavily customizable sound. Once you get the hang off all of the settings (3), you can get just about any sound out of it. The manual was very clear and easy to understand, wasn't missing anything and showed me just how to get the sound I wanted. You can also create and save up to 3 custom wah sounds using the settings on the pedal. All you have to do to Switch between them is tap the pedal's heel button. The pedal also has adjustable resistance, and is set to a good level of resistance out of the box. Only problem is that before I learned how the pedal really worked, I kept switching settings while playing with it (the heel has a sensor that switches settings when it is activated) and this made it really hard to keep the sound I wanted. However, after learning how to toggle the heel sensor, this was not a problem. // 9

Sound: I am using it with a Schecter Omen-6 guitar and Roland Cube-15 amp. It sounds great, and turning up the "Drive" knob gives it sort of a delay effect, pretty cool and easy to adjust. The effects seemed weak at first but I realized the upping the "intensity" knob actually seemed to level out the difference between no effects and full effects. A little counterintuitive, but once you learn how the knob works it is a piece of cake. I can effortlessly adjust the amount of wah I want in the sound. I bought this pedal primarily because I was learning the song "Bulls on Parade" by Rage Against The Machine, and playing the opening hook (bow-wow wicki wow-wow wicki wicki wicki) on my guitar sounded very similar to Tom Morello's guitar, and the fact the there are 4 or 5 Vintage sounds (such as the Cry Baby) programmed into the pedal means that virtually any guitarist's sound can be mimicked. I haven't really gone into trying them out yet, because I am so satisfied with my current sound, but I have a feeling I won't be disappointed. The distortion "Drive" knob makes a sick sound, sort of a gritty delay, but I haven't really explored that either. For extra credit there is also a synth bass setting for those Who play bass. Overall, I find nothing wrong with the pedal's sounds. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Being made by Boss, and carrying a five-year warranty out of the box, I assume this is a sturdy pedal. If I played guitar in a band, I don't think I would have a problem going on stage with this without a backup. Of course, I have never had any problems on stage before, on drums or whatever, so I really can't relate. But seriously, I don't think anything would happen to this pedal if I treated it properly. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of rock music, namely Rage with this pedal, and it sounds awesome. Like I said before, with fully customizable and Vintage sounds, I'm sure amyone can find what they want with this pedal. This is my only effects pedal, and less than one year of experience playing guitar did not leave me out to dry with this pedal. I wouldn't mind having less options and Vintage sounds on it, because I don't really use them all, but hey, the more the merrier. This pedal is irreplaceable in my opinion, I would hate to have something to happen to it out of the warranty because then I'm out of another $160. I definetly like being able to get the exact sound that I want out of this pedal, even if it means having to learn how to use it properly first. A quick 10 minute read through of the manual alleviated any problems and/or questions I had. The reason I picked this particular pedal was because I was recommended it and told it was the best on the market, I definetly see the truth in that staement. The only thing that could make it better would be a free cable or something, but there really is no way to make the pedal itself better. Boss really has created a top of the line pedal with PW-10. // 10

PW-10 V-Wah Reviewed by: tryhonesty, on december 17, 2008

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Muisc World

Ease of Use: It is astonnishing how easy this pedal is to use. A couple minutes to figure out the features and such and about 10 minutes to find a good sound.The manual is reletively easy to use, not as easy as some others that I've read but this mones still good.The only thing I have done to this pedal was loosen up the actual part that is pushed down so that you don't need to apply so much force to use it. // 8

Sound: I use this with a Fender Strat and a Peavey Solo, and it sounds very nice together.This pedal with sound fantastic all the time if you have it set right.I haven't tried to get the sound of my favourite artists yet becuase #1. I haven't had it very long and #2. I like experimenting with different sounds. But this pedal is so easy to use that it would be easy to get the same sound as pretty much anyone with a wah. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The reliability of the PW-10(Like all Boss pedals) is built like a tank. It's all metal except for some little plastic peices inside.I wouldn't use a backup wah at a gig becuase I would never need to.I would have to bring another battery, but that's not too bad. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal can match anything you wanna play with a Wah Pedal. Just Pick your style and play.I have been playing for just over a year now, and I own a Boss DD-7 Digital Delay, Peavey solo and a Fender Strat.If this was stolen, I would definatley get another one becuase I like it so much.I love everthing about this Wah except for the fact that it doesn't sound to great with other pedals, but that's fine for me.I also compared this with the Dunlop Crybaby, I chose this pedal b ecuase all Boss pedals are built great. and this pedal also had multiple features. // 9

PW-10 V-Wah Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 28, 2005

Ease of Use: I'm not a big fan of this pedals sound. When the pedal is back it's too deep and when it's forward it is a loud shreeking sound, and in between the two sounds really wierd and mechanical. // 4

Sound: I use this pedal with a Marshall VS100 100 watt amp and an Epiphone Les Paul Custon that is fitted with Gibson Burstbuckers (Burstbucker 2 on the neck and 3 on the bridge). This pedal has alot of 'buzz' when it is fully forward that lasts for about 10 seconds after a not is played. This is so so so annoying and I've tried everything that I could find on the net but nothing seems to work. The pedals built in distortions aren't very good and the noise surpressor is even worse as it kills alot of the sustain. You can customise your wah effects and adjust the width and hight, but I'm not able to find anything I like. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't gig this pedal because I don't like how it sounds one bit, but if the sound works for you, you would be able to gig this without a backup because it's a Boss so it parctically unbreakable. The battery life is good and you can get an AC adaptor. // 6

Overall Impression: I play classic rock like Led Zeppelin and Guns N' Roses and even though this pedal has different 'modes' that are supposed to mimic the sound of pedals such as the Vox Wah and Dunlop Crybaby it is impossiable to get the sound of those great original pedals trust me. I got my first guitar about a year ago but I've been brought up playing a little bit here and there with my dad, when I bought this pedal I thought it was the coolest thing ever, but now that I'm much more experienced I realise it's no good and I regret buying it. I'm going to put it in the news paper for sale tomorrow and sell it so I can but a Jim Dunlop Crybaby Classic. I reccommend trying a crybaby before you buy a Boss V-Wah because you will see how much better the crybaby is. // 4

PW-10 V-Wah Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 08, 2007

Ease of Use: The Boss PW-10 is the best wah pedal I have heard, it provides anything you need for anything really, any music style. Sounds are no problem, just turn one knob and you have it. Remember to save your fav. settings. This pedal has it all, I don't use the Drive much I need a tone control for it (easily fixed with EQ). This pedal gives you more control of your sound than you ever have dreamed of if you own a standard crybaby or wheeping demon. The manual is a should read on this, or else you wouldn't know how to set the NG, or the Drive types or output volume. I've tried it up against both the crybaby and wheeping demon, this comes out; more versatile, more control of sound, smooth and not "slippy" operation, you might also tighten the screws on the sides to get you the excact resistance you want, really good. // 10

Sound: I am using it with a modded guitar with EMG's in the front I have a magic stomp to use as for example a phaser or chorus, then the PW, then a Marshall Jackhammer, onto a Cube 30. This is not noisy or scratchy. The PW have given me all the sounds of my favourite artists, (Zakk, Hendrix, Rhoads, Arch Enemy), sounds great all the time. I don't realy use the drives much, because I love the Jackhammer, if I didn't have this I would use the PW's Drive all the time. The vibe is amazing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have jumped on this pedal many times, I weigh about 90 kgs so I should say it is indestructable, I have gigged with it and I will always use this pedal. I was very careful in the beginning, I thought "plastic." The pedal itself is metal, the rest is hard plastic, the jacs are metal too and I don't think they will break. // 10

Overall Impression: I play much metal and '60s-'80s rock. I also compose music for my band. the PW is a good match for anything, I've been playing on it for a year now, guitar in three years. I play in a band and use it for practise often. at home I use it every day. Got a Marshall JH-1 and a Magicstomp II, Cube 30 and borrow som OLD Peavey tube amps (from the '80s) from my uncle. If I lost it I would buy a new one at once. I have compared it to a standard crybaby and a Ibanez wheeping demon, I liked this the most. The only thing I miss is a treble boost, that would suit me. // 10

PW-10 V-Wah Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 23, 2003

Ease of Use: Not exactly easy to get the best results from but it isn't hard 3 swithches now surely anyone can suss it out and if you cant there is a massive manual to help you out. // 8

Sound: I am using an 7 sring and a cheap squire and both sound great on this pedal. The distortion is better than the Whammy though and this pedal is made for wah wah if you just want a wah wah then go for the cry baby but if you want distortion and wah wah and some cool effects then this is your buy. A downfall is that when you plug it in, the amp is on a very low volume and the distortion is very loud so if you want to switch to clean you have to adjust the settings on the anp or you will hardly be able to hear it. Also you have to use 6AA batteries this is alot but you can just use an adaptor aswell! // 8

Reliability & Durability: Very reliable but sometimes changes setting when you don't even touch it and that could be a terrible problem for live giging. But this baby won't break at all it is very well constructed. // 6

Overall Impression: This is a great pedal and definitely worth buying if you have an amp with no effects, yes it is a bit big and heavy but when he comes out to play it is all worth it, sound best with rocky music or punk. If it was stolen YES!!! I would get another one. this is a priceless item of my setup and I reccomend it to anyone! // 8

PW-10 V-Wah Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 19, 2004

Ease of Use: This is a difficult pedal to get the hang of initially, but once you figure out how to set up your own custom wah and adjust the 7 inbuilt wah effects and the 3 already preset ones it is the mother of all wah's. It is a fairly complicated pedal to master, but once you figure it out you are unstoppable! // 6

Sound: I use this pedal with an Ibanez smash box, a strat and a 100W ashton amp and it sounds great. This is a neat little pedal that just amazes you everytime you alter your custom wah's and always sounds great. The pedal itself has 6 or 7 wah types that it models, my favourite of which is the cry baby, it also models several famous distortions such as The guv'nor, Boss turbo OD and muff fuzz to name but a few. The sound is great from this pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is highly sturdy and realiable, made completely of metal, I have dropped it several times and nothing has happened, the floor got injured and nothing happened to the pedal! As always Boss have made their pedal very harcore and difficult to break, I reckon it wouldn't break even if i smashed it with a hammer, but I never would! // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is one great pedal. If it were stolen, i would definately buy another one. I play all types of music but predominately rock, and it is great for solos, and indeed any lead riffs. My favourite feature is the new effect that Boss put into it, double ressonance, which to put it simply sounds great! I bought this pedal not expecting what I'd get, and what i got was one gnarly pedal. // 10

PW-10 V-Wah Reviewed by: Martyrion, on october 15, 2004

Ease of Use: It's not really hard to use this pedal, just turn the knobs and listen until you find the sound you like(If you can find it.) And the bypass thing is not really hard to fix either. So it's pretty easy to use, just read the manual first. // 6

Sound: I am really disappointed by this pedal as a wah/dist pedal. The distortion is terrible. It's nothing compared to the real pedals that it tries to simulate. And the Wah is boring and not half of what I expected. It does not make a nasty feedback (so far) or anything, but it kind of just dies when you start using it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It's dependable, at least it will work for a while as long as you have an adaptor. But it can't stand just anything. Use it normally and it will work like it is supposed to(If it does in the first place.) // 8

Overall Impression: This pedal should not be your choice when it comes to wah pedals. I do not recommend it to anyone who is really looking for wah, and not a fancy looking combo-pedal.. It does not suit any special kind of music, but as long as a weak level of wah is included you can use this pedal. You should buy a Crybaby instead, you get alot more for the money, so don't waste your money on this thing. // 6

PW-10 V-Wah Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2005

Ease of Use: It's pretty easy to get a good wah sound, just step on the pedal. The distortion is overly complicated to set up, to set it up you must turn off the pedal, switch to advanced, switch it back on while holding the memory button, set the distortion type by using the type switch (the manual has what each option is supposed to sound like), set some noise canceller, set the distortion knob, press memory again, then set the volume using the distortion knob. Athough it's complicated when you get it set up right it. // 8

Sound: The pedal sounds pretty good straight out of the box, but it's extremely loud and will need the volume set by using the distortion type method. After that it has a great sound, although I don't know if it sounds like the pedals its supposed to. The distortion types are pretty good, theyre a little too much the same but are great if you are using a small amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's sturdy, and I don't think you could break it if you tried. It's dependable, and if it was set up right it could definately be used at a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play just about any kind of music I feel like at the moment, except for country or rap, and this could be used for almost anything. The distortion is great for a vintage rock sound, but probably wouldnt be the best for metal. If it were lost, id probably get a different kind of pedal just to have something different, but afterwards if I got another wah pedal I would probably get this one again. I like how the pedal has a pretty nice sound, but I hate how complicated it is to set up. The pedal would be much better if it just had an easier to set up distortion. Overall its a great pedal. // 8

PW-10 V-Wah Reviewed by: norwich city, on july 29, 2005

Purchased from: Muzart

Ease of Use: This pedal is quite hard to make any exciting or even normal sounds at first as it is very complicated and the effects don't have a very large range. However after reading the manual it becomes alittle less confusing but still I can't get the best noises out of it. // 4

Sound: There are some good sounds on it but very few and they are hard to find it took me a while to find them but for now I just keep the pedal on full an change the drive or wah range knobs because when you change the pedal it just lets out a loud hissing or whirring noise. I use it with a Gibson Les Paul or Explorer, I recommend the Les Paul. But when you put it on full it almost always sounds ok. But the voice setting is very disapointing after all the comotion about it. Maybe I just don't know how to work it. The distortion is disappointing too. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This has a good reliabillity and won't die on you, it is sturdy and very strong. The pedal has a certain slight stiffness about it to give you more control which I love. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I do like it but could of got better. But don't let this put yu off I ill keep this pedal for a while and I'm not thinking about buying another one anytime soon, but I wouldn't recomend it very highly. I just wish the distortion was better and it had more effects the couple of gigs I have done were a success so don't worry. // 8

PW-10 V-Wah Reviewed by: Lespaulpunk, on january 06, 2006

Purchased from: Local Music store

Ease of Use: This wah pedal is amazing, it's a bit hard to get used to the possibilities of this, but once you do it's great. There are 3 custom channels you can program yourself, which is great. // 10

Sound: Ok, so I use it like this: guitar (own build, sounds close to a Gibson LP), the V Wah, 1969 Fender Twin Reverb amp, with 2x12 cabinet. I find when you have distortion it makes a weird digital sound for a few seconds after you stop playing, but this may also be a bad ground in my houses electrical. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yah, it's Boss. The truth is that I don't trust any other pedal company so I use only Boss because its the best. I hae dropped this pedal on the ground put all 215 lbs of my weight on it and not even a scratch. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything, and yes it complements all my solos and funk styles. I've had this for 2 years now and it's amazing. I would prefer to have a seperate wah and seperate distortion, and thats just because of the potential because you can customize the distortion more. If this was stolen I would go buy a Cry Baby or Morley wah, this is because I want a seperate distortion. I love the versitility, I hate the noise I get, and I love how you have every top wah pedal in one. It's just great. Before I bought this I tried every other wah they had, and I liked this because I didn't have the money for seperate pedals. I just wish it had a built in volume pedal and more distortion customization. // 9

PW-10 V-Wah Reviewed by: danielmonkey30, on march 15, 2007

Purchased from: bonners

Ease of Use: This is a Boss pw 10 it is a nice pedal with a lot of features. It is relatively easy to use if you just want to plug it in and start playing Voodoo Child. But if you want to adjust all the distortion and Wah presets etc, it can be a bit more difficult. I followed the manual and I was away with 10 minutes so I imagine you can do the same. Editing the patches can be difficult however, but the manual is easy to follow. The switch at the front of the pedal activates the wah. And the switch at the back under your heel scrolls through your 3 presets. // 7

Sound: I've been playing for just over 3 years I play rock but it is a lose genre, I play everything really. Including metal, blues, virtuoso etc. my main influence are Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and David Gilmour. I use an Ibanez RG 2550e prestige and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. My amp is a Marshall MG100DFX. Hears a quick tip if your trying to get that amazing tone that you want. Don't get too annoyed if you can't get it. You need a valve amp. I know this for a fact. Anyway back to the Boss. It is a good sounding pedal with the easy Wah type knob. With crybaby, Vox, Morley settings. It also has a knob to adjust the Wah sweep threshold (how low or high the Wah sounds). In my effects rig I use a Boss ds1 (distortion) a dd3 delay and the PW 10. A tip, always put your Wah last on the far right of your effects. Because if you put it before, it affects the signal of the other pedals and makes them sound crap. Overall I'm very happy with the sound of the Wah it does every thing I want it to do and sometimes more. (And it looks real cool). When the batteries start to run low the effects can become weak and when they get very low it makes an awful crackling sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is made from steel and aluminium. It has the feel that if you hit someone with it, it would kill them. I haven't gigged with it yet, but I have had many sessions in the studio with it with very rough treatment on the pedal. And there isn't a scratch on it. I have a friend who uses a Morley Wah. It failed just before the start of the gig. He had to use the rhythm guitarists Boss Wah instead. He loved it and changed his Morley for a Boss. So the Boss Wah is amazingly well built and will stand up to gigs easily with out a backup just like all Boss pedals. The only thing I can say is that when the batteries start to go flat (if your using batteries) is that it sounds like it is broken. Not to worry though. Change the batteries. I would very strongly recommend getting power supplies for all you pedals. // 8

Overall Impression: Well I play every thing and this Wah is designed for just that. To do everything. When I brought this pedal I compared it to a crybaby and a weeping demon. But this came out on top. The only thing that it needs is a spring under the mechanism. If it were stolen I would buy a new one and then beat the guy to death with it. So if your looking for a decent quality Wah with loads of features that doesn't cost the earth this is the Wah for you. // 8

PW-10 V-Wah Reviewed by: EnyoAdonai, on june 27, 2008

Purchased from: NZ Rockshop

Ease of Use: The Boss V-wah doesn't sound like traditional wahs, so if you are wanting a Vintage sound I wouldn't recommend this. It comes with a variety of effects such as tremolo mode and a wah mode specifically created to replicate the human voice. The batteries aren't too hard to replace, it takes 6 AA's, I've been using an adaptor for it though (battery life's approx. 30 hours). The manual is descriptive enough to get you going and has some good preset diagrams in it too. Finding a really good tone with this pedal would take more time and effort than just reading a manual though. There are three knobs selecting the wah type, wah range, and Drive. There is also a button which allows you to access up to three preset settings you have created and saved. Then there is the pivotal footswitch, if you stomp on either end of this you can access other controls while playing, these can be changed but the initial set up is: toe switch - wah on/off, wheel switch - change between preset settings. Because of the time and guessing required to get a good sound out of this pedal I wont rate the Boss V-Wah too high. But while playing, it is easy enough to use and is a handy Tool to have in the arsenal, so this earns a 7. // 7

Sound: I play an Ibanez ARC300 through this pedal, and occasionally a Squire Strat. I currently only have a 10W squire amp to play through though, and that doesn't offer much to create a good tone with. However, I have played this through a Laney Stack at the place where my band practices and it sounded really good! I mostly use the tremolo effect which is really fun! When the pedal is fully towards the heel end of the pedal there is no tremolo effect on, but when the pedal is down at the toe end the tremolo effect is on as far as the wah range knob has been set to. This pedal is definitely not noisy, if anything I feel it reduces noise and the effects always sound pretty decent, provided the batteries aren't almost dead. With the Drive knob on full it can begin to sound like a synth. I wouldn't call this a bad thing, but I wouldn't use the pedal in this way as it sounds too robotish and removes the characteristics of my guitar from the signal, so to speak. I haven't tried to recreate any of my favourite artists sounds with this pedal and, considering my amp, I don't think I could. It would be possible to get close to other artists sounds with this though. I am impressed with the sound of this pedal, but not blown away by it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I could easily depend on it, the Boss logo makes me confident in this. I have jumped on this pedal many times and it doesn't dent, scratch, or anything. I would use this with out a backup, I would have to since I can't afford to buy another. The battery life isn't bad too (as mentioned above 30 hours). // 10

Overall Impression: I have only been playing for a year and at the moment I am still experimenting with tones and styles of music, I tend to play more metal, but I like to play classic rock as well. This pedal is fine for music that fits into these categories and many others as well, it's different modes make it quite versatile. I actually bought this pedal on impulse rather than testing it first, I'm lucky it doesn't sound bad. But I do really wish I'd tested it first. I think because of the difficulty in setting this pedal up, and the fact that it doesn't reproduce the wah sounds that I'd anticipated I wouldn't buy it again if it were stolen or lost, but I wouldn't get rid of it either as it is quite versatile and has a lot to give to my tone. There's nothing I hate about it. My favorite part is the tremolo part which I think is called "uni-v" on the wah type knob. All in all it's a good pedal, and I think it's really good for some one who switches styles from song to song as it has a lot to offer in many genres of music. // 8

PW-10 V-Wah Reviewed by: shadow__666, on august 02, 2008

Ease of Use: It's quite intuitive to adjust the wah; just plug it in and play with the wah knobs until you find a setting you like. Distortion is more complex, but you can get used to it. The manual is simple and easy to figure out. In terms of simplicity, it does alright. // 8

Sound: I'm using it with my Ibanez GAX and starter pack amp, and so far I'm struggling to spot the real differences in distortion settings from standard. I tried to set it to model a Big Muff, but as far as I can tell there's very little change; definitely not enough to get the Nirvana/Mudhoney-type sound I want. The wah on most settings is also pretty weak, however I like the Uni-Vibe and the voice setting quite a bit so I basically stick to those now, and it usually doesn't let me down here. But for something that advertises so many different sounds, having no real distortion changes and only two decent wah settings is a shame. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Basically it feels like it's built to survive a nuclear bomb. My main problem with it is that often when I stamp on it a bit hard while soloing, it rapidly changes settings so that I can find myself playing with a sound I didn't want, and this gets annoying so I probably wouldn't use it when I start gigging. But I don't know if this is a common problem or reserved for my pedal. // 7

Overall Impression: As I said before I play Grunge with some metal, psychedelic and hardcore influences. 60% of the time if I keep it within its comfort zone, the Boss does a good job for a first wah. But for what I paid and for what it promises, 60% of the time isn't good enough. In hindsight, I probably should have gotten a Crybaby, which may be less fancy but does the job better. As it stands, since this is the only pedal I currently have, I'm gonna look into getting some extra distortion to support it, and strictly running it on the UniVibe and Voice settings. // 5

PW-10 V-Wah Reviewed by: TuxFriend, on june 09, 2010

Price paid: € 30

Purchased from: Huuto.net

Ease of Use: I got my PW-10 from an internet auction for a real bargain. After all, this is a pretty expensive pedal as new. Many of the reviewers were complaining that it is hard to use. I can't really agree with that. While I don't really save my own presets and use the more advanced features, getting the sound I want out of the pedal is pretty straightforward to me. // 8

Sound: I like the wide range of different sounds this pedal can produce compared to my Cry Baby. I'm using it with Vox VT50 and the pedal is not very noisy with my setup. Some of the Wah effects are worse than the others, but something worth mentioning are the talkbox simulation sounds. Quite funny to play with, although I have not been able to get the sound of Livin' on a Prayer out of it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well it's Boss. I could always depend on it. The knobs are protected from the dust-generated noise with some kind of optic solution and the pedal itself is built like a tank. I do think my pedal has some dust in-between, because it doesn't move as smooth as my Cry Baby. I guess I need to open and clean it a bit. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm probably selling my Cry Baby, since the PW-10 does all the same plus more. If it was stolen or lost, I'd probably get it again. As used, though... It's simply too expensive for a Wah pedal to buy as new. I like the wide selection of different sounds, especially the talkbox simulation and would recommend anyone to try out this pedal. // 8

PW-10 V-Wah Reviewed by: Woffelz, on january 10, 2013

Purchased from: A mate

Ease of Use: My friend is in a boarding school now because he wanted to study music their [playing the bassoon], so he didn't have any use for it now and sold this to me at a great price. He gave it to me with the manual, half of the box and a half-broken cable. I just use 6 AA batteries [if I remember correctly]. It's not as hard to use as most people this. For the wah, it's just turning a few knobs and using the expression pedal. The distortion is a bit more complicated, but once you know how to do it, it's not hard at all. There are many Wah models, which allows you to mix up your sounds for variation. The onboard distortion is great - a few Boss distortions [including the OD1 and 2, DS1, MT2 and more] and one or two others. I usually put this on the CBY-WAH model and use the MT2 distortion to get an aggressive lead tone. You can even set four preset settings too! // 8

Sound: I use an Ibanez S420 and a Roland Cube 15X. Seeing as there already are Boss distortions in the amp, I don't use the pedal distortion with this amp. I do use it with my friend's tube amp to get a crushing tone though for gigs. It works well with the Line 6 Spider Valve MKII 212 to produce brutal distortion and and warm tone. This pedal is not noisy at all and I can easily get a thrash style sound with it. However, I wish the Wah itself was more deep. I feel that I need a wider sound range when I put my foot down. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely use this at a gig without a backup. This thing is built like a tank. My friend's been using this since 2002 and it's worked perfectly and I've experienced no problems with it at all. The sound is still great and the chassis has a few scuffs on it, but everything works perfectly. The problem isn't really a technical reliability issue, but you need a lot of force to use the heel and foot switches that are housed under the Rocker pedal. I have to stand on it with one foot to use the switch! Just make sure you use a lot of force! // 9

Overall Impression: I play mainly metal and this is a great match, especially due to the onboard distortions. I've been playing for over 5.5 years and also own these pedals - Belcat delay, Compressor and a DigiTech distortion. This is the highest quality pedal I own and is solidly built while sounding great. It would be perfect if there was more depth to the expression in the pedal and if less force was needed to use the switches. If this was stolen, I'd find the thief, grab the pedal and beat him to death with it since the hardware is so tough! // 8

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ GT-100 Amp Effects Processor 7.9 Guitar Effects 07/07/2014