PW-2 Power driver Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 02/25/2014 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: PW-2 Power driver
This is a standard Boss single pedal with 4 controls. The level control is simply a volume knob which is quite sensitive. There are two controls to alter the type of distortion.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Ease of Use: 9.3
 9.2
 6.8
reviews (3) pictures (1) 9 comments vote for this gear:
PW-2 Power driver Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 05, 2004

Purchased from: Privately

Ease of Use: This is a standard Boss single pedal with 4 controls. The level control is simply a volume knob which is quite sensitive. Then there are two controls to alter the type of distortion. Oddly enough, these are called 'fat' and 'muscle'. Then there is a drive control to alter the amount of distortion. Because I bought this from a friend, I couldn't get a manual. It's quite simple to use, nevertheless, provided that you know what you want. // 10

Sound: I use this primarily with a Fender Jaguar running through a Vox valve amp. I also use many effects on several chains. Don't get confused with the name of the pedal. This is a very unique form of Overdrive - very grungy, muddy and heavy. You have to tweak the two 'tone' controls very carefully. With a low drive setting, you can get a very mellow, bassy distortion which is perfect for intermissions and soft solos. This pedal can also boost another distortion pedal very effectively. For example, i use this to boost the distortion on the chorus of Incubus' New Skin. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a pedal that doesn't eat up the battery power like other pedals, so I shouldn't need a backup. It's durable and can withstand a hammering like other Boss pedals. However, its not ideal as a single effect for distortion and/or Overdrive. It's probably best you buy a turbo distortion pedal or overdriver first and get this later on. // 8

Overall Impression: I play my own songs mostly, although our band covers the likes of Incubus, Mr Bungle, Jamiroqui and Millencolin. This pedal is hardly an effect by itself, yet it compliments others excellently. If it were stolen, I would definitely find another one (although i dont think they make this anymore). If I had the original packaging or manual, I could understand this much more. Nonetheless, it's a good pedal. // 8

PW-2 Power driver Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 29, 2005

Purchased from: Long And McQuade

Ease of Use: I absolutly love this pedal to death. I worship Zakk Wylde and with this pedal you can get his awesome overdriven sound it is by far my favorite pedal. // 10

Sound: I'm using this pedal with my 1962 Malcolm Young Gretsch into my Marshall 50DFX. There is not a lot of feed back off this pedal which is great. The fat and muscle can really screw up the sound your looking for but other than that the sound is remarkable. This pedal is really good on battery life it doesn't eat your batteries like the MT-2. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can always depend on this pedal I've droped it stoped it and still works I used to be in a band and used it for a gig with my MT-2 Eric Clapton Crossroads pedal and Crybaby 535Q and let me tell you it was a thing of beauty very reliable pedal to use with killer sound. // 10

Overall Impression: I am a metal head! I love Sabbath, Ozzy, Metallica, Black Label Society, AC/DC and Van Halen and you can get a lot of there killer sounds out of this pedal. The only thing I wish I had for this was a manual on the fat and muscle because for the first hour or so after I bought it it took me a while to get the exact sound I was looking for becuase the fat and muscle really mess with the sound. // 10

PW-2 Power driver Reviewed by: karpis, on february 25, 2014

Purchased from: Tamsta

Ease of Use: Four knobs. I dislike that bass and mid are labeled as "fat" and "muscle" - it is not apparently clear what is wand and childish, to say the least. Maybe BOSS folks was struck by DOD crazy labeling virus, but it is not funny. Happy that BOSS did not stick to this naming with their recent suggestions. It is easy to see controls in the dark. Pedal is not overly touchy so minor tweaks takes you out of this world. Always possible to max everything out and rock out. But this is not one trick pony - search and you will definitely find some sweet spots. A bit too much volume for my tastes, but possible to get unity level. Battery compartment is easily accessible as in every other BOSS pedal. // 8

Sound: I play blues/rock/punk style and this pedal is good for a heavy guitar duties. It is not very responsive to guitar volume - no cleanup to seek. It goes from mid to high gain distortion. Tons of volume. It is in vein with EHX Muff style pedals - it overtakes your tone. Makes sense, since it was released in big grunge craze. It has some fuzzy quality to its distortion. And with EQ tweaking it can go from Rolling Stones "Satisfaction" to nu-metal and beyond. Never tried this with another guitarist, but in power trio I did not get lost in a mix with it. Plays nice with other gear. Put overdrive after it and you will get smooth lead tone. Personally I prefer it raw. // 8

Reliability & Durability: BOSS! You will die sooner than this thing will... Jacks are solid. Power connector sits firmly in place (not unlike EHX Little Big Muff). Painting may scratch away after few decades of overuse. I'll bet you could play monster ice hockey match and still play with it at the end. Weakest spot is o-ring on battery screw hole, that rubber thing can be easily damaged if you try to unscrew it without firmly depressing pedal. Switching is solid and reliable - does not require double takes (unlike DigiTech pedals). // 10

Overall Impression: Okay it is good pedal for heavier soundscapes. Now I'm leaning into garage rock, so only use germanium fuzz face... But back on topic: want grunge - it has it, want something heavier - please do, want something lighter - get SD-1 or DS-1. It is rare beast. I went to store looking for some fuzzy distortion and tried all pedals under $100 and this won. I love fuzz vibe which this pedal possesses. Well, when I need to have guitar Armageddon - it is my weapon of choice. It is a good pedal for sure, try it if you find one on hand! // 8

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ CH-1 Super Chorus 8.3 Guitar Effects 04/03/2014