RC-2 Loop Station Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 06/20/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: RC-2 Loop Station
House in a compact-pedal case, the RC-2 puts a surprising amount of features in a small stompbox.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.6
 Ease of Use: 8.3
 8.8
 8.7
 8.8
reviews (13) 41 comments vote for this gear:
RC-2 Loop Station Reviewed by: copet, on august 24, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal essentially has one purpose: to loop your riffs and dub over them for up to 16 minutes of recording. I found that after one day of tinkering with this pedal I was able to do just that, as well as save them and bring them back whenever I want. Beyond looping and dubbing, understanding this pedal has still not come to me after a month or two. The manual does a so-so good job of explaining it's other features, such as the percussion sounds you can add, or the "loop quantizing" feature, but the manual is so small-texted and bulky-paged that I find it hard to commit these features to memory. The fact that there is only one button and the pedal to perform all these other options is also overwhelming. // 7

Sound: The sound that the loop station projects is perfect, considering it only plays back what you play. It does not lose quality no matter how many times you dub over it. The volume for the loop can be changed via a knob, as can the percussion sound volume. It is quick and easy to build a nice loop, and even save it if you'd like. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This works well for someone such as myself Who likes to improvise over progressions at home, and I imagine it would work well during a gig as well. The body of the pedal seems solid enough to withstand a beating, but I'd be more worried about the mechanics if I were to use it in a gig. A person would need a great understanding of the pedal to use it Live, or they may find that they just erased the loop they were playing, or dubbed over it with some background noise. // 8

Overall Impression: When I bought this pedal I was looking for something that I could loop a chord progression with and then solo over, and it works great for that! Sixteen minutes of recording is more than enough for people such as myself, and I recommend this pedal to anyone with the same pursuits. For someone looking to find a loop station to gig with several times a month, it may be good to invest in a more established station, or at least read the manual more than I have! // 9

RC-2 Loop Station Reviewed by: Chiodosrules_54, on may 28, 2008

Ease of Use: This loop station is built to be compact and easy to use. To set the drums you go to the sixteenth note on the mode knob and then you hit the foot pedal until you find a beat you like. After doing this you can go to the quarter note on the Mode Knob and tap the pedal to the pace that you want the song to go.[If you get and FS-5U(unlatched), you tap the drumbeat in on that.]When you found the right pace for your song, you just hold down the pedal until the REC/PLAY/DUB light flashes yellow. Then you just Switch the knob over to circle/triangle area and press the footpedal once to record. On the frist beat of the next measure, press the pedal down and it will repeat in perfect time. This can be a little tricky to master, but once you get it, it's like riding a bicycle. After the riff you wanted is looped press the pedal once to overdub. When the riff is in playback you press the pedal twice quickly to stop. To delete the riff, press the pedal twice quickly when the loop is in playback-just as before-except on the second stomp hold the pedal down until the LOOP/ONE SHOT blinks yellow. That is how you loop. To save, you just go to write and hit the SELECT/ENTER button. When it blinks red select the phrase you want to save to and hit the SELECT/ENTER button again. Wait until the LOOP/ONE SHOT stops blinking, then you can shut it off. To delete a saved phrase, you do the exact same thing as you do to save, except you have the Mode Knob turned to DELETE. I heard some people complaining about the manual being so small. Well, if you go online to Boss's website(I think... )you can find a large manual for it. That's what I did and it works like a charm. All in all, you could probably master it in a day. Once you get used to it, it gets easier and easier. // 8

Sound: This is my setup and it works beautifully: guitar-IbanezRGR421exfm, pedals-Rc-2, Ibanez SM7, amp-peavey practice amp. It's not very noisy unless you use very heavy distortion. I usually set my pedal to half distortion. This usually will work ok with most pedals. Now, the effects are all great. There are about thirty different drumbeats ranging in genres from a samba type drumbeat to rock and roll. The drums obviously don't sound like real drums, but if you don't have a drummer-or a good one! HA! -this will give you a simple beat to work with. Also, This pedal has the incredible ability to replay anything and sound great through the amp. I even tried a keyboard... As I said, the only problem is the distortion. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I use this pedal for gigs and it has not failed me once. That's why I use it without a backup. It's probably my most reliable piece of equipment-besides my guitar. It's made out of a good, durable material, but is surprisingly light. I figured it would be at least as heavy as my SM7! // 9

Overall Impression: When I took this pedal out of the box I was astonished. The pedal not only works great, but it looks great too. In my opinion, the RC-2 is just as good as the RC-20 or any of it's siblings. I have been playing guitar for 5 years and love this pedal's ability to recreate my amazing talent:) I would definetly buy it again if it was stolen-which would never happen 'cuz I love this baby. It's the perfect loop for the perfect price! // 9

RC-2 Loop Station Reviewed by: Fitzpatrick, on april 03, 2009

Price paid: € 159

Purchased from: The Music Outlet

Ease of Use: A bit intimidating at first, but it only took me a couple of hours of fiddling around with this thing to figure out most things, with the aid of a really well written manual (Really easy to read and explains everything clearly). I think the hardest part to use is the built in rhythm Machine, I still haven't figured that out completely yet. But saving and deleting phrases is so easy, it's just a matter of getting used to. There are 11 phrases, and if a few of them have loops saved on to them, the 'Loop/One-Shot' indicator will flash green so you know what not to re-record. // 8

Sound: The recording quality of the RC-2 is excellent, it replicates nearly exactly what you play, but sometimes the timing can be a bit off (But I think that might just be me). The drum patterns are good and there are loads to choose from and you can choose your time signature. What I would say is that if you want to have one loop on a clean setting, and another one with distortion, you need a distortion pedal because if you use the distortion on your amp, the clean loop will become distorted. You can add a bass line to your loop if you add an octave pedal (Such as the Boss OC-3) to your pedalboard, so you can get a full feeling of a one-man-band. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think this loop station is for home use only. Boss have designed bigger and more durable loop stations for playing Live, if you have enough Faith in it and it's a small gig than I don't see why you can't use it, but I would recommend a Boss RC-20XL or a Boss RC-50 for gigging. But Boss pedals are really well made, and they will last forever. The guy in The Music Outlet Who sold me this showed me his Boss DS-1 that he owned for 22 years and it is still in perfect condition, so you probably won't get a more durable small compact pedal other than a Boss. // 9

Overall Impression: First off, it it were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy it again, it's just such a handy Tool to have when you're on your own without a band. It's great for practicing and developing skills as well, you can practice playing your favorite songs within a certain tempo, but my favorite feature is the ability to create a one-man-band by creating endless loops over each other. I don't dislike anything about the RC-2 other than the battery life, it will drain a 9V much quicker than your average effects pedal, so I suggest you get (If you don't have one) a Boss Power Supply for this. // 9

RC-2 Loop Station Reviewed by: outlaw metaler, on january 18, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal was suprisingly easy to use there is only fouerknobs. There is a slight learning curve but I imagine it's like that for all other loopers. I quickly found myself soloing over backing tracks evry thing is very straight forward and takes no programing. // 8

Sound: I didn't really notice any adverse changes in tone. The only thing is that you can't change the tone from over dub to overdub with out an effects loop, multi FX, or the pedals used to change the tone. This was a problem because I was using a Line 6 spider 2 so any effects affected all layers over dubs. The RC-2 has an onboard drum-machine The only problem with this is that it forces you to change tempo using a tap tempo button. Both of the metal style loops were fast pace and far better suited thor thrash and punk than the ones on my RP-350. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is very durable and I wouldn't worry bout breaking it at all. I would'nt use it in a gig because you can't switch phrases but Ig you want to practice improving, or work out Harmony parts I would highly recommend this pedal. The manual says you should be carfull about battery life because it runs out quickly but I didn't find this to be a problem for me. // 9

Overall Impression: I wish that the footswitch out could be used to switch prases but unfourtanatly it can't. A record out would also be nice. Overall a nice pedal that really helped me improve my improv skills. Not the best for gogs unless you want to bend down and change phrases between songs it's over all memory and the number of phrases is equal to that of the RC-20 but this edal is more compact and costs less. // 9

RC-2 Loop Station Reviewed by: d_byrne23, on may 14, 2007

Purchased from: L&M

Ease of Use: Very easy to get used to, I would highly recommend reading a bit of the manual before you hack away at it, but it caused me no troubles at all. Editing patches is super easy as well as deleting them or using the beats etc. The manual is very descriptive and shows lots of detailed images to help you get going quickly. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Schecter Extreme FR with it, as well as a Carvin MTS3212 amplifer. It's not noisey at all. My one complaint is that it's difficult to get the recorded volumes to sound in sync with your overdubs etc. Maybe with more tweeking I can fix this, but it has been a minor headache. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss, it's definately built to last, I step on it at least 10 times+ a day and the springs and everything inside are immaculate and will last forever or close to I'm sure. I wouldn't gig with it however I'd most likely buy it's bigger brother, the rc-50. Just because it's bigger and would be easier to navigate on stage. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall it's great for recording things like guitar harmonies and then adding layers to your solos. With high gain stuff it can be a difficult for your different loops to cut through the mix and so on. I do love how it fits into your pedal board and is very portable. Definately a pedal worth buying for people of all musical experience. // 8

RC-2 Loop Station Reviewed by: Rizazzo, on june 04, 2007

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: The pedal is relatively easy to get the hang of. One thing that's a bit of a bitch to get right is the timing to press your foot down when you start recording the phrase. That can be achieved with practice. If you like the phrase recorded you can save it or you can record over it again (dubbing). A good feature Boss added is the undo/redo function. Just keep on holding down the pedal and what you've just recorded/erased is instantly deleted/restored. // 8

Sound: I'm using an ESP LTD AX-250 with EMG passive pickups through a Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion pedal to the RC-2 Loop Station to a Laney Hardcore MXD120 Twin Amp. Nothing to say here, this pedal just kicks ass. Very useful for practicing alone or with your friends. I learned a lot of Slipknot's songs using this baby. Just learn the rythmn, record it, let it loop over and do the lead part on it. Now you can either learn a song section by section using all of the 11 phrase locations or else you can use the other mode which lets you play a phrase just one time. So you can record the whole rythmn part of the song, then replay it and do the lead part. With the 16mins of memory you'll never run out of time. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Hmm, till now it has been very dependable. I've had it for what, 4 months and it's never broken down on me. Come on guys, I mean, it's a Boss! I can throw it under a bulldozer and it still would work. The only thing I'm worried about is the memory. As it is flash memory I wonder how long it would take for all that erasing and creating to leave so much fragments that corrupt the internal mem. But until now no cause for alarm. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly very heavy metal and grindcore. This pedal is a good assistant to practice with, but I don't think it can be used in gigs cause of the difficulty of changing a phrase in the middle of a song, which causes an audible gap (to change phrases). I've been playing for a year now and I've only tried this particular loop station but from what I hear it blows the DigiTech jam man out the water. I wish I'd got the the RC-50 cause it's much easier to change a phrase and you can do it Live without any gaps, just instant change. But that's to be expected with such a large interface. I'm still astounded to this day how they managed to cram such a good looper in such a tiny pedal. If it were stolen, I'd track down the guy Who stole it and ram my guitar up his ass. Yeah I'd probably make him buy me the RC-20XL, or the RC-50 because of the added useability. // 9

RC-2 Loop Station Reviewed by: tihmay, on january 29, 2008

Purchased from: guitar center

Ease of Use: It came with a manual, which was clear enough. It is easy enough to use the controls on it. Getting the timing down is a bit tricky though. I've spliced in my drum bass/machine into the looper. Getting the start and stop of the loop in good time with the drum Machine took me a little while (maybe you'd be better faster). It's never miliseconds perfect but it is good enough. If you use the onboard drum sounds, the looper will automatically correct your start and stop timing. Which works really well. One thing that seems to be not-user friendly is the copying of saved loops to new numbers (backup). This is not explained well. I am always able to do it when I want, but not knowing what the heck the blinking colored lights means is frustrating. One thing Boss needs to improve is a means to see the level loading of the sound going in. You drop on a sound from one source then record over it to hear the un-balanced volume, then erase the added sound, and adjust the input volume until you get it balanced. This is cumbersome. // 6

Sound: To hear 3 different loops I recorded go to my MP3 page. http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/tihmay/music/all/play93031#comments_div The 3 tracks that start with the word "Parker" were all done with the looper pedal (no recording equip mixing). 2 used the Boss DR-3 drum/bass Machine and one used the on-board drum track of the looper. Click the "show track details" link to see what's up. I can hear no degredation when sounds are piled up on each other in stacked loops. I can hear no added buzz from the looper. It sounds just like the signal going into it from the drum Machine or the multi-fx. There are a decent variety of on board drum beats. A digital readout of bpm with a dial speed option would be a nice add to the product. If that readout could tell you input volume. But for a 1 pedal sized looper. It really does a lot of work. My setup is shown in one of my profile pictures. Git and drum Machine into multiFX, into looper, into amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss so I expect it to be durable. I'm a hobbyist not a professional. So I don't gig with it. I baby my gear. I was surprised to see the footswitch under the metal part your foot pushes is plastic (by the battery). Not sure if all BOSSes are this way now. // 7

Overall Impression: This is the first looper I've owned. Why I am a big fan of any looper in general is this.First. It will quickly make you a better player. If you take Fade to Black by Metallica for example. Record the acoustic intro, loop it back, turn on the distortion and practice the solo over it. Repeat. Within a couple of weeks my timing was so much better. This looper made me a better player that soon. No BS. Next to getting a drum Machine to work with practticing, a looper is a great way to buy a gizmo to help make you a better player. Second. It is a great way to compose. With just a couple taps of you foot you can improvise, experiment, evaluate, erase, solo over, etc. It will also help your ear get better at putting together Harmony notes. Reference the Parker HM in E mp3. If it were stolen or lost I might save up more cash to get a more featured one, but I would definately replace it immediately. I compared it too the DigiTech JamMan. In the store the JamMan added a delay to the recored loop. And it's on board sounds were like a metronome, not drums. // 8

RC-2 Loop Station Reviewed by: black-sabbath, on march 12, 2008

Ease of Use: This thing records your playing freaking perfectly! The manual tells you exactly how to use it and I only read a few pages of it and I still understand this pedal. It's got 3 knobs and a button. The one knob is for the recorded track volume and it's a 2-in-1 knob for the drum beats as well. The other knob is the mode. The manual explains all about the modes. The last knob is the where it saves the playing. There's 11 different spots. Just go to Mode-Write, hit the button, turn the dial to what spot you want and hit the button again. Just like that. // 10

Sound: I'm using an Epiphone G-400 going to my Line 6 Uber Metal, to the RC-2 Loop Station and then do my 25 Watt Traynor Bass Mate (I play guitar through a bass amp). I can use any amount of distortion with no extra noise and clean sounds amazing too. Like I said before, it perfectly records it with no loss of volume or feedback or anything. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Hell yes. That's all I can say. No way it would break, Solid Metal shell. Not sure I'd use it at a gig. If I did, it would only be briefly. This is more of a practice Tool and a darn good one at that. Boss pedals are great cause of the Solid Metal shell and non-slide bottom. // 8

Overall Impression: I've only had this since this morning and I love it already. It takes around 30 minutes to get used to how to work it and after that, it's a breeze. If this thing broke or got stolen, I'd go out and by another one ASAP. I didn't compare this to any other products, but the guys at L&M said it's by far the best for its price. I can't say I don't like anything about it, only that it's just 16 minutes, which is enough though. Great pedal! // 10

RC-2 Loop Station Reviewed by: FobRock-10, on june 16, 2008

Purchased from: Music Connections

Ease of Use: The RC-2 Loop Station has two main purposes. 1 to loop your Guitar Riffs-and 2 to Overdub over them over and over. This item is great for recording or for Live performances. There is a manual for this item and it explains everything very well. Well there are different pedals that do the same but it hasn't been upgraded. // 5

Sound: I'm using with a Fender Strat and a Roland Micro Cube. The Unit Is Not Noisy What So Ever. The Unit Records everything you put into it. from Mics-Guitars-Pianos-to Drums. I also like how when you over dub it automatically mixes the sounds so that there both at a good sounding volume. // 7

Reliability & Durability: You can always depend on this unit. It works on batteries as well as a power supply. I use it Live in between songs for some background noise or as an intro to the next song While I'm in the process of tuning. A loop pedal will record anything and play it back over and over again, without stopping unless you push it down again. When I use it Live as an intro to the next song there's a setting which you can make it play back only one time and stop with out hitting the pedals to stop it again. // 5

Overall Impression: I Play punk/rock/alternative and when ever I'm in my room and I make up a riff I'll record it onto the loop station until I can record it onto pro tools. I wish I would have been taught how to use it because if your gonna record a whole song it's hard because when you start recording you can't stop the recording because otherwise it will restart it self. Well I have too say no because now I have pro tools so I record digitally now and I don't use the loop station much. I love how when your adding in Guitar 2 you can't hear when you started the second recording. I hate that's there's only 16 minuets of recording time on it. I choose this because I've always loved the act of overdubbing guitars or even vocals. I think that's it's cool to hear 2 or 3 of you singing at the same time. I ultimately wish it just had more time on it. // 8

RC-2 Loop Station Reviewed by: ~Voodoo_Chile~, on june 16, 2008

Price paid: A$ 300

Purchased from: Allans music

Ease of Use: Fairly instinctual to use, one quick read of the manual will fill you in on what can be done on the RC-2. I found a few problems with the auto "loop quantizing" that if you have a slightly strange rhythm when playing guitar ie adding a couple of trills will throw the Precision "guide" and put it two double or even triple tempo. This was no real drama as you can manually tap out the tempo then record your loop over the top. This is great for solo practice, the first day I had it I played from 10am till at least 12pm at night and my fingers gave up. The possibilities are limitless. I have heard a lot of people only talking about it as a prac Tool. This thing is great for a band, you can really get some tripy shit going on. I have played gigs with it has never let me down. that fact you have to bend down I don't think matters, plus you can always attach more foot controls if need be. The only thing I dislike about this pedal is you can only delete the last track you layed. // 9

Sound: Great sound, no buzz, pretty much what you put in comes out. A must is a distortion pedal of some kind. if you have your loops going into an amp with gain things get really muddy, not to mention when you have the drums playing. I go from axe - wah-wah ext - TS-9 - RC-2 - JCM 800. The drums are cheesy as hell but what do you expect, when you have 4 layers of guit on top you don't really notice them anyway. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's Boss, built tough, never had a prob with their stuff. Can't really give an opinion on the help line or soo on, I can say I wouldn't run this thing on battery power, get an adapter for it. Switches and buttons seam sturdy enough and the paint job on these don't scratch too easily. // 9

Overall Impression: I play anything from Hendrix to Tool. Blues or hard rock this thing is tops. I have been amazed at what sounds I have been able to create, and the great thing is at a flick of a Switch you can save them, nothing gets lost into the stratosphere unless you want it too. If it where stolen I would buy it again, Hmm if I could afford it I would maybe get an RC-20. Those who aren't willing to fork out the $500 (Aus) though wont be disappointed by this pedal, great value. // 9

RC-2 Loop Station Reviewed by: jeffreywilliams, on july 15, 2010

Purchased from: Music Music Enterprise

Ease of Use: It's easy to use. You just have to either read the instructions or watch a video on youtube. You can erace the last recording by pressing and holding the pedal until the light blinks. I didn't read the manual so I don't know how good it is. Mine hasn't been upgraded or anything. It is the single pedal version which I prefer because it has drum beats. The RC-20 Double pedal one doesn't have Drums other than a metronome with bass and snare sounds. You can record up to like 20 min. or something. It is def. worth it. // 10

Sound: I use a Ampeg Jet with ruby tubes and a Vintage 30 speaker. I had to build a head inclosure for the knobs because it wont fit in the combo inclosure with the Vintage 30 speaker. The magnet is too big on the Vintage 30. I always run it last in my pedal-board. It has no noise. Effects always sound just as they are recorded. I've used it live on songs like U2's Beautiful Day. I just plugged my iPhone into the 1/8 in input jack on the pedal and recorded the intro keyboard part of the song which just repeats over and over and it sounded perfect. You just start the song and when the part you want starts press the pedal then press it again when the part you want is over. It will loop that part and it works perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss. It is very durable. I beat the crap out of it. I don't have a backup because I don't need one. // 10

Overall Impression: I love it. I play Rock Blues and Punk. I teach Lessons and use it all the time in my lessons. I also use it at church. I have been playing since I was 11 yrs old and I'm 29 now. That's 18 years Wow! I Work at a music store so I knew how good this pedal was before I bought it. I saw Victor Wooten using one and I had to have one. So I saved up and bought one. If I lost it I would definitely have to save and get another one. Compared to other products of this nature, the Boss has better quality drum sounds and ease of use. // 10

RC-2 Loop Station Reviewed by: chaos13, on march 23, 2011

Ease of Use: The Boss RC-2 is an incredibly easy to use pedal. It has a simple stomp-play-stomp method of operating which makes it fun to play around with. A quick review of the manual will give you all the information you need to know, and can be referred to later if needed. Once you have recorded a main lick, it is easy to loop more over. All you have to do is step on the pedal again and it goes into an 'overwrite' mode, which adds whatever you play on top of the previously recorded sound. If you mess up on a loop, a quick double-stomp of the pedal will erase the latest recording without undoing everything. You can save your loops on separate tracks in order to access them later, and it has separate volume knobs for drums and your plugged in instrument. // 10

Sound: This pedal recreates the sound you put into it perfectly, so the tone will depend on your personal setup. The only issue I have with sound is when playing with distortion. I'm running guitar-pedal-amp, so when I have a drum loop playing, I have to use a clean setting on my amp, or the drums become a mess that drowns out my guitar. It has a loop quantize function, meaning if you record something and are slightly off time, it will fix it up for you. In my experience, it isn't all that effective, and sloppy rhythm will still be noticeable. // 7

Reliability & Durability: A tank couldn't have been built better than this pedal. It's compact, and easily able to withstand being jumped on and dropped. Most people, like myself, will just be using this at home, but if I had reason to take it to a gig, it would be just fine on it's own. The adapter works well for when it can be used, just be sure to have some extra batteries around, as they will run out quite quickly. // 10

Overall Impression: I use this pedal whenever I feel like jamming, and it works great. It is very easy to use, takes no time to set up or program, and has a great selection of drum samples. Cleaner styles of music work better with it, as the drums retain clarity more effectively, so I would not recommend it for looping distorted riffs. I received it as a gift, and it has been an excellent addition my gear. It is perfect for writing your own songs, as you can hear what multiple layers would sound like without requiring multiple guitarists in the room. // 9

RC-2 Loop Station Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 20, 2011

Ease of Use: Bear in mind that this is a pedal with a lot of functionality packed into a little box. You may need to persevere for a few days while you get your head round it, but the time is worth investing. The manual is important, but I would certainly supplement it with some of the YouTube demos out there. You will benefits from seeing it in action via other users. Before you start creating loops, the key choice is this: 1 - Will you use the drum beat, or will your mute it? 2 - Will you play in time with the drum beat, or will you have the pedal snyc the beat with your playing? Once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature and a whole heap of fun. // 10

Sound: Sounds reproduction is excellent, but be careful of the usual niggles related to high gain. What you put in you get out, so any buzzing will be looped as well. Use your judgement. Keep in mind that you can vary the output of the loop. You may also want to try varying the volume on your guitar if you're creating a multi layered effect by overdubbing. This will stop the sound from becoming too dense. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Usual high standard expected from Boss pedals. I have never had trouble with any one Boss pedal I have owned, no matter how old. I will reiterate that there is a lot of functionality here - it's not just a "stomp and go" pedal, but within a few sessions and some reference to the manual, you will get it. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal has now been discontinued, but if you can snap one up, then do. At the time of writing you can expect to Pick up a used one for around 75 and it's a lot of functionality in a small pedal for a very reasonable sum. In my opinion, this pedal is more than road worthycan be used for live performances. You will need to work on your timing, but once you've got that right, you will create some great music. // 10

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ CH-1 Super Chorus 8.3 Guitar Effects 04/03/2014