RC-30 Loop Station Review

reviews (2) pictures (1) 23 comments vote for this gear:
RC-30 Loop Station Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 10, 2012

Price paid: £ 239.99

Purchased from: GuitarGuitar Newcastle

Ease of Use: Fresh out the box, with a heap of ideas in my head, I started to attempt recreating some various pop songs with easy repeatable phrases, you know. Just to get started... "Wow, this is harder than it looks". Referring to the thick paged manual, I worked out that the Boss RC-30's default setting is the complex loop system, which automatically continues to record/overdub immediately after first phrase record. Woah woah woah... I didn't know this. So how do I change it? After the manual proved ineffective, I had to resort to looking online to watch "how to..." videos. This is something I would STRONGLY recommend to do to anyone purchasing any looper pedal, seeing as this gave me alot of information and clarity the manual failed to do. Maybe I'm being too harsh. The manual is helpful, only if you know what you're looking for. In summary: Compression times are spot on takes a while to become fluent with not too keen on the manual. // 9

Sound: Using a Faith Saturn cutaway electro acoustic 'Natural Series' (A somewhat totally underrated manufacturer) into a Line Six Micro spider (I know, I know, I'm a terrible person) The pedal does not have any apparent diminishing effect on audio quality. The RC-30 comes with an in built tap tempo rhythm inbuilt system which is great, since it works as a beat lock and keeps everything in sync and in time (which is so critical with these loopers). However, the first sound is meant to be a 'closed high hat'. The only problem being is that it sounds like a baby kitten, slowing tapping its paw on a sheet on tin foil. That's not an exaggeration even... The bass drum is also a little but... Weak, shall I put it. But nether the less, its still a really helpful function and adjusting the low end on your amp can help reduce kitten-ness! LOOP PEDALS SHOULD NOT BE PLAYED WITH DISTORTION. That is all I will say on that matter. But the overall sound will ultimately depend on what goes in. If your sound is of an awful quality, get ready for some awful sounding loops. If you have a great sound quality, then it will sound great! The RC-30 does an amazing job of truly replicating what ever sound is being created good or bad! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This this is a BRICK! As with all of Boss's pedals, they are made to such great high quality and will last you a life time... I hope. Bare in mind I would still keep the thing in its original box, due to the annoying problem that is DUST! Oh dust just loves to get all nice and snug underneath the twin pedals. Well the exterior is strong, but I'm not too sure about the actual hardware, but I've had mine for over 6 months and I have ran into no problems what so ever! So yeah... I can depend on my RC-30! My only real issue is how easily the AC power lead can come out of the socket. OH BY THE WAY! You have to pay an addition 20 for the Boss AC adapter, something which I find stupid seeing as I dished out 240 quid for the damn thing. Anyways, the lead can easily fall out, and this is a huge concern if you are on stage, one miss step and BAM everything you just looped is gone. However there is the option of using about 12 batteries. Thanks Boss! // 8

Overall Impression: Okay, I have been a bit harsh, but I will admit it, I love my RC-30. In fact the only reason I wrote this review is because I love it that much, I wanted to see what others thought about it. The RC-30 Is an amazing piece of equipment, boasting a huge 30 hour recording in comparison to the tiny 15 minute RC-20 little brother... Its really fun and its a pleasure to perform with. Even with just a microphone, it gives me endless hours of fun, saying insulting phrases and somehow looping it over to make an Drum N Bass swearword fest. I would highly recommend it to any ACOUSTIC guitarists, due to its amazing potential with percussive elements, but it works just as well for clean electric sounds. Overall I love the Boss RC-30. Little expensive, but totally worth it! - Twin Pedal multitrack looper with true stereo I/O - Two synchronized stereo tracks with dedicated volume faders and track-select buttons - Massive internal memory with up to three hours of stereo recording tim - 99 onboard memory phrases for storing loops - Built-in effects for processing loops - Multiple inputs: 1/4" A and B input jacks, stereo 1/8" mini AUX input jack, XLR input jack with phantom power - USB 2.0 port allows you to connect to a PC and import/export WAV audio - Rhythm guide with real drums (hmmmm) - Runs on batteries or optional AC power supply. // 10

RC-30 Loop Station Reviewed by: shoted, on october 21, 2011

Price paid: A$ 350

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: Took me a little bit to become fluent with it but I like reading manuals and things so it didn't take too long. Most people should try and change the record/dub/play order to the non default setting. There has been a firmware upgrade for some recording Lag problem and mine already had it installed. // 7

Sound: Records fine, sounds good. A lot of people bash the effects but I find ways to use them. My favourite effect is tempo delay and sweep filter but it's fun to play around with the down tune one too. Step filter is least useful. Haven't gotten a chance to use a mic with it but it's cool that it has it's own volume control. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Haven't gigged with it but it seems up to the job for me. Battery has lasted me a long time. I am constantly pressing the buttons I should be pressing with my fingers with my toes and it hasn't exploded so that's nice. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of styles of music but I think it does very well with rap music. The sliders let you cut elements out of the beat and the effects help to keep interest in the song. The problems I have with it are the lack of drum beats. 3 hours of recording time and there are only 9 different drum tracks? Really? Also if you are planning on using this to recreate songs that have vastly different parts say the chorus isn't just the original beat with a melody on top you are going to be disappointed because there is an annoying gap when switching between phrases. I don't know how they thought that was acceptable. The price is right for what it is and I am happy with the purchase. // 7

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ GT-100 Amp Effects Processor 7.9 Guitar Effects 07/07/2014