RV-5 Digital Reverb Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 02/13/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: RV-5 Digital Reverb
The RV-5 Digital Reverb offers six of Boss best reverbs in an all-new stereo effects pedal. New reverbs include convincing spring reverb emulation and a high-quality gate reverb, plus an all-new Modulate mode for spacious detuned reverb sounds.
 Ease of Use: 7.7
 8.7
 9.2
reviews (3) pictures (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
RV-5 Digital Reverb Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 27, 2005

Purchased from: Rudy's

Ease of Use: This reverb padel is very easy to use although it's many options. The effect has 6 diffrent reverb delay and modulation types which can by easily desigened into any need. // 8

Sound: The main adventage of this effect is it's sound. This effect has a great sound which fits great in all playing styles, from jazz to heavy metal. The effect provides all types of reverb, from the smallest and the most not heard to the most powerful delay. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This effect is no doubtly very dependable for few reasons: 01. It's a Boss, a well known dependable company which builds first class products for years. 02. This effect is simply very dependable. I had this effect for two years now, and it never made one problem! It's important to add that sach as a lot other effect padels this pedal also uses lots of batteries. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of the effect is very very positive. This effect no doubtly supplys the goods. The effect is very useful and fits all styles of music. I would truly recommend this effect to who ever search for a reverb pedal, it's just the best combination of echo, reverb, delay and modulation there is. // 10

RV-5 Digital Reverb Reviewed by: osXtiger, on april 02, 2010

Purchased from: Amazon - 2nd hand

Ease of Use: The Boss RV-5 has 4 dials with which to edit the sound of the pedal. It comes with an instruction manual which tells you what you need to know to get started in making your own sound. The layout is simplistic although hard to read on a stage. Tweaking the sound you want out of it can take quite a while, but at least you have plenty of choice. // 9

Sound: I use a Peavey Vypyr on the Fender Twin setting, along with multiple effects pedals including wah, distortion, delay ect. There are four knobs that include: An Effect level knob, which effects how loud the reverb sound is. The second is tone. which allows you to change the general sound of it, from a dark and bassy sound to a bright thin sound. The third is "time", this, of course, lets you change how drawn out the reverb sound is. And the fourth knob selects what kind of reverb is being used, such as; Spring, Plate, Hall, Room, Gate and Modulate. So there's plenty of choice to dial in the sound you want, there is no noise in activating or de-activating the pedal. Now. Bear in mind, that reverb should be placed near the end of the effects chain (after distortions, Wah ect.) so if you plan to use this with your amplifiers built in distortion, think again, as reverb sounds quite bad when placed before distortion, hence why I only tested this with the cleanest setting on my amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a boss, so it's made of Die-cast metal that can withstand a nuclear blast if need be. This pedal, however, EATS BATTERIES. So make sure you get a nice power supply unit, unless you actually enjoy forking out cash for 9V batteries left, right and centre. If left plugged in (which lets face it, who can honestly remember or be bothered to un-plug their pedals after they are finished? ) it can run out of juice in 24-48 hours whether or not it's turned on or off. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a fairly wide variety of music from jazz to instrumental rock and many others. And as a reverb pedal, I doubt there's a genre this wouldn't fit with. If this was stolen I'd certainly get this again, as it's a versatile pedal with lots of possibilities to choose from. The only thing I hate about this thing is it's power consumption, if you plan to gig with this thing, just get a power supply, it'll save you lots of cash in the long run. // 9

RV-5 Digital Reverb Reviewed by: cjb2293, on february 13, 2013

Ease of Use: This is a pedal I purchased a while back and am finally getting around to reviewing. The pedal has a lot of options when it comes to shaping the sound of your reverb settings. It includes a Spring, Plate, Hall, Room, Gate, and Modulation reverb mode. All of these options allow you to play around with some cool sounds and does allow for good sounds. The other knobs on the pedal, the Tone, Effect Level, and Time, allow for more options in shaping your reverb. As far as the effect level knob goes, it doesn't really seem to kick in until the knob is close to 12 o'clock, which could be a bit annoying. // 6

Sound: I currently run this pedal in my effects loop after a Boss CE-5 Chorus ensemble and before my Strymon Timeline unit. The amp I normally use is an Engl Powerball 2 and I primarily play on my Schecter C1+. The pedal is not noisy in my board (powered by a VooDoo Labs pedal power) and really doesn't become noisy when you adjust the settings, which is nice. Unless the effect level knob is cranked up pretty far you really don't get much of an influence from the mode knob (Spring, Hall, etc). Normally I will run the plate setting with the time and effect level knobs put at about 3 0'clock. This gives me a nice tone for songs like "Torn" by creed where you need the reverb to fill in the sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Being a Boss product, this thing is build rock solid. I have had congas dropped on my pedalboard, other musicians throw things at me one stage, you name it and my pedals have seen it. They even survived an outside show where we set up, sound checked, and by the time we started playing everything was coated in condensation. It still works! If this thing can survive water I don't really see the point in having a backup unit on standby. Though i certainly don't recommend you soaking this in a swimming pool or anything of that nature! // 10

Overall Impression: I play a variety of styles from rock, alternative, jazz, and occasionally a country song. I have played the guitar for roughly 10 years and have been performing professionally for about 2 years. My gear lineup currently consists of all Schecter electric guitars (C1+ and a C1-Classic). This runs into a pedalboard with several Boss units, a crybaby slash, and a Strymon timeline, and out into either my Engl Powerball 2 or a Bugera V22 depending on the type of gig I am playing. When I purchased this unit I wish I would have had more knowledge about reverb effects and all of the options out there. While this unit does a decent job of providing reverb, I certainly feel there are much better units out there. The unit is rather simple to use and can produce a decent tone, however it is frustrating that the settings are not fully usable until you hit about 12 o'clock for some features such as the effect level. If this thing were ever stolen I would probably just upgrade to a Strymon BlueSky reverberator unit. The usable tones and MIDI capability make the unit much more appealing. At the time of purchasing this unit I had not made any comparisons, but now that I have been playing for far longer, I would chose others units over this. If this unit had a more usable range and a little better sounding tones I would purchase another. // 7

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ GT-100 Amp Effects Processor 7.9 Guitar Effects 07/07/2014