ST-2 Power Stack Review

8.9
reviews (3) pictures (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
ST-2 Power Stack Reviewed by: Myaccount876, on september 06, 2011

Purchased from: Guitar Center, used

Ease of Use: The Boss ST-2 is a great pedal that has balls. There are four knobs: level, bass, treble, and the gain, so it is pretty strait forward. Since I bought it used, there was no maunual but pedals don't really need one, but it could be somewhat useful. The only thing that could be a problem is that it could be tricky to get the sound right without feedback because you really have to be casreful with the gain to avoid a high pitch screaming noise. // 8

Sound: I run this pedal through a Line 6 Spider IV 30W (pulls out flameshield) with an Epiphone Les Paul, Fender Natural Ash Telecaster, ESP LTD M-100FM, and an Ibanez RG120. Like I already said, if you turn the treble and gain past 7, you are going to start getting feedback. You can still get some great tones though, like a ballzy AC/Dc sound, or you could go with the heavier Alice in Chains sound with thick sounding chords that slam your face into a brick wall. If you pull the gain back a little and play with the bass/treble you can get a great Led Zeppelin sound. Anything from a warm distortion to slamming cinderblock against your skull. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Just built like a tank. The pedal would survive Rosie O'Donnell sitting on it. This pedal would hold up well at any gig and all I suggest you bring fer a "just in case" situation is some more 9v batteries. (If you can afford extras cause there a too d*** expensive) // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly a blues hard rock (sometimes a little funk and groove) metal thing that somtimes might have a touch of punk and other things. I have been playing for probably about 3 and a half years now but I am not sure because I keep on forgetting and I own two other Boss pedals, a Blues Driver, and an Overdrive/Distortion hybrid thing that I'm not sure if they make anymore. I want to look into getting rid of the noise by modding a little bit or just buying a noise gate. If it were stolen, I would probably try to find the pedal used again because I think that $60 somrthing bucks is a great price. I just love the balls that this pedal has and how it could survive anything (cough *Rosie* cough). I just saw the pedal and heard it had balls, tried it out, and brought it home. Don't regret anything. // 9

ST-2 Power Stack Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 27, 2011

Purchased from: Roxy's Music Store

Ease of Use: It is really easy to use, with only 4 knobs. Level - controlling volume, Bass - controlling low or "bass" frequencies, Treble - controlling high or "treble" frequencies and Sound - changing gain and character of the distortion. The manual is really easy to understand, and helps you have the pedal up and running in a few minutes. // 10

Sound: I use a Fender Mexican Standard Strat, with a humbucker in the bridge into a Peavey Classic 30. I use it on the clean channel and find it works best with a little volume. Love my amps high gain distortion, so I use this mainly as a 3rd amp channel, usually with a lower gain structure. If you turn up a little, with the volume at about 1 o'clock, you can turn up the gain and get a Marshally-type '80s metal distortion. Overall, it sounds pretty good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Like all Boss pedals, I could throw a brick at and it would still work. I would never need at backup at gigs, as I trust this thing very much. It is very solid. I've had 6 Boss pedals before, and they are all built like tanks. Don't worry about a backup. Just like the DS-1, you will probably still be stompimg on it 30 years from now. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly '70s and '80s rock, and this gets a decent tone for that. If you have a clean amp, I think you would like this. If you hve a cheap 10 watt solid state amp, this isn't your pedal. Go look at some DigiTech if that's what you're playing through. If you have a nice tube amp, and want a nice distortion to complement it, this is your pedal. If I ever lost it, I might return to it, I might look at some MXR's. It depends. Overall, I think most of you would be happy with this pedal. // 7

ST-2 Power Stack Reviewed by: makutoid, on march 28, 2011

Ease of Use: After spending a very long time trying to find a sound I liked with my DS-1, I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this pedal when I took it out of the box. I watched a bunch of demos before buying it, and they all made it sound great, I definitely WASN'T disappointed! Took it out of the box, plugged it in, strummed a few power chords and within a matter of minutes had that rich, thick, powerful sound that I was after, and that you'd expect from something named "Power Stack". Didn't bother with the manual, as you very rarely need to with pedals. This stomper is very self explanatory, very easy to use, and sounds amazing all round. // 10

Sound: The first set up I used my new ST-2 with was a LTD H-250 with Duncan Designed pickups, Original EHX Holy Grail reverb, and my Roland Micro-Cube. This was designed to test out whether it did what it claimed and gave you that "stack" feel. It did. When you leave the pedal engaged but don't play through it, there is a fair amount of noise but not loads. As with most distortion pedals it depends on how high you have the gain. Best advice would be just to disengage it when you're not playing - saves battery too. Honestly, the sound really didn't let me down. I needed something to add to my ME-20 and DS-1 rather than just doing the same thing that they already did, and the ST-2 does just that. You get some great low end response which is awesome for power chords and heavier tunes, really solid tone for solos and shredding, and it even gives you what's possibly my favourite sound out of the whole thing, that crisp and crunchy tube amp sound. Boss really haven't missed anything out this time. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd gladly use it without a backup. Partially because I've got plenty of other pedals in my rig that can cover for it, but honestly I couldn't see anything going wrong with it. Anyone who's ever owned a Boss pedal will tell you they're damn near indestructible, and the ST-2 is no different. It's a little black tank. You can tell just by picking it up and throwing it around a bit that no harm can come to it. No worries at all. // 9

Overall Impression: For someone who plays classic rock 'n roll, modern rock and a lot of lead/solo stuff, this really does seem to cover everything. With my Les Paul you get that rough bluesy tone that you get from an already breaking up valve amp, with my LTD you can get the thick and punchy distortion that you'd hear on a Nickelback record and with my Strat you can find the really nice blues lead tone similar to some Jeff Beck style lead. There's just about everything really, which is a big improvement on the earlier stuff like the DS-1 if you ask me. The only things I don't like about it are finding the combination of levels on the tone knobs as it can be quite tricky to get the balance right with the gain. But that's a minor issure. // 9

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ GT-100 Amp Effects Processor 7.9 Guitar Effects 07/07/2014