TE-2 Tera Echo Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 05/20/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: TE-2 Tera Echo
With this pedal, it seems there is more than just adjusting the knobs and figuring out if you want it off and on. This thing kind of "thinks" and changes it's sound based on your attack.
 Ease of Use: 10
 6.7
 3.3
review (1) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
TE-2 Tera Echo Reviewed by: cincycosmo, on may 20, 2013

Ease of Use: Like all effects the easiest to get quality sound is when you use it with moderation i.e. with the effect level down. Otherwise you have to experiment. With the MDP products from Boss, especially this pedal, it seems there is more than just adjusting the knobs and figuring out if you want it off and on. This thing kind of "thinks" and changes it's sound based on your attack. I have not figured out all the nuances yet, but, it seems to register the attack and length of notes and chords. It also seems to discern a strum, vs a single note pick. How it sounds on an arpeggio is different from a staccato pluck, etc etc. It sounds weird to describe but it works pretty doggone well. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Traynor tube amp with the TE-2 in the serial effects loop. My guitar is a first series Fender VG Strat. The TE-2 seems quiet enough in any of the settings. I hear no tone sucking going on, possibly a credit to the Traynor amp in conjunction with the pedal. If you turn the effect level too high, the tone just gets non musical and gets confusing and garbled just like on a delay pedal that is turned too high. Moderation is best. As far as getting the sound of someone else, that is not my bag. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Geez... It's a Boss pedal. I've owned Boss stuff for decades and you cannot kill them. I expect no different from this one. I was offered an extended warranty at Guitar Center, but that is almost laughable. I've never had a problem with either the simplest or most complex (VG-99 comes to mind here) product from Boss/Roland. I would definitely gig without a backup for this pedal. Besides since I have a moderation theory on effects, I think in the case the pedal was giving me trouble, I'd just put it back in the bag and play straight to amp. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and in a church. When I bought this, I was in an either-or decision with a Boss DD-7. This pedal will be more useful to me than a standard delay pedal since it can add a warm kind of almost-pad-with-phaser-sound in the background to what I play. It won't be active on every song, but for arpeggios and solos it will work at least half the time. That said I will probably Pick up a DD-7 or DD-20 in a few weeks also, since the TE-2 isn't exactly a delay pedal. I would replace if it were stolen. Video from YouTube:

// 10

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ CH-1 Super Chorus 8.3 Guitar Effects 04/03/2014