TR-2 Tremolo Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 10/09/2009 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: TR-2 Tremolo
Reproduces the classic tremolo effects of vintage '60s amps using a low frequency oscillator (LFO). LFO waveform variable from triangle to square for producing a variety of classic tones.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Ease of Use: 9.5
 8.1
 9.2
 6.9
reviews (6) 26 comments vote for this gear:
TR-2 Tremolo Reviewed by: Guitar Skater, on january 22, 2005

Purchased from: Toms River Music

Ease of Use: This pedal is exteremely saimple to use. It didn't take me long to find a setting I like, it has 3 knobs so its realitivly easy. The manual came with 3 or 4 example settings and they are all real good settings from in my words you can get simple, slow, medium or fast style of tremolo effect. // 10

Sound: The list of my rig is: Fender Tom DeLonge Strat plugs into my Boss BCB60 pedal board that consists of the Boss Tremolo. Octave, Flanger, Phaser, Chorus and MXR 6 band EQ. The Tr-2 sounds amazing on the fast setting with distortion and on all settings really like clean, boost ect. What I really loved about this pedal is when I use it with the octave, flange, phase ect. it doesn't kill the sound, it plays nice with the other kids. Well I figured out with this pedal you can play Green Day's Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, Blink 182 Here's Your Letter intro and seriously one of the Kill Bill themes. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is extremely reliable. I just got it last night so it hasn't been used a whole lot, it's one of my favorite pedals on my board I love the sound quality. I don't think I'd need a backup because it (with all my pedals). Is in my pedal board that powers all the pedals and stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: I write some of my own songs really like rock and old school punk. But mainly straight forward rock. I got this pedal because I was looking for something new that I haven't used before and the tremolo is a real cool sound. I play alot of Blink 182, 311, Cky, Green Day, Casualties and stuff. This pedal doesn't need to be used with those bands except as I mentioned before. I tried this product before I bought it so I knew what I was getting and it was Boss and their my all time favorite problem so I'm not worried about it breaking I really don't hate anything aboiut it, it's real simple and thats not a bad thing. // 10

TR-2 Tremolo Reviewed by: GNRAGE_2010, on june 23, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal is very simple to use since it only has 3 knobs; rate, wave, and depth. Rate obviously controls speed, wave is the shape of the sound, and depth is bascially how much of an effect the tremelo has on the sound. // 9

Sound: Right now I have a Fender Stratocaster (not a squire) and am running it through a Fender Stage 160 (older version). The effect always comes through quite well even when strung through several other pedals and doesn't kill the sound of the other pedals either. An example of the type of sound you can get from this pedal is in Green Day's Boulevard of Broken Dreams. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Since it's a Boss pedal you can pretty much expect it to be durable and sturdy. I could use this in a gig confidently without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play many different types of music ranging from Rage Against the Machine to Green Day. I don't really play in covers that implement this pedal but I like using it when making my own material. If it was stolen or lost I'd try to replace it as soon as possible. // 9

TR-2 Tremolo Reviewed by: cjb2293, on july 10, 2008

Ease of Use: This pedal is fantastic! With the three knobs (rate, depth, and wave) you can get any type of tremolo you would ever need to! You can get that deep, choppy style of tremolo to the mellow, smooth tremolo. The manual that comes with it is also easy to use and explains the pedal thoroughly. // 10

Sound: I run the TR-2 Tremolo pedal through a Marshall MG100HDFX and use a metal muff distortion, Boss TU-2 tuning, and Crybaby Slash wah pedals and it doesn't affect the sound of any of them. It doesn't produce any humming or extra noise on any of the settings, and the effects all sound great (except for the less choppy wave, that sounds slight week if the depth isn't turned up). The main reason I bought this pedal was to use it to play Breaking Benjamins hit song Polyamorous and it sounds exactly like the song! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is a very dependable pedal. I have it strapped to my Pedaltrain Pedalboard, and through all of the abuse I've put it through so far, it holds up like steel. This is clearly the only tremolo pedal you will ever need. While you are jumping around on stage, you can be promised that this pedal won't let you down. // 10

Overall Impression: For over 2 years now I've been playing metal, rock, and the occasional blues music. This pedal does a great job at covering artists like Breaking Benjamin, Green Day, etc. I would recommend this pedal to everyone, especially blues players. If I somehow Busted the thing (very unlikely) I would have to get 100 more dollars just to re-buy this pedal. // 10

TR-2 Tremolo Reviewed by: guitar999111, on december 04, 2007

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: It only has three knobs so it's pretty easy to get a good sound out of. There is rate (speed) depth (volume) and wave (jagged to soft). I thought it had been broken for about 3 months but the other day I tried it and it worked fine. I had tried batteries and an adapter but I just found out the adapter was broken and I'm guessing the batteries were dead but. The manual has a few presets but they are pretty simple to find out on your own. My only complaint is about the sound. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Gibson SG > Crybaby GCB-95 > Morley Little Alligator > TR-2 > Fender Princeton 112 Plus. There is no extra noise on it no matter what you set it to. It seems like a true-bypass circut but I'm not sure. However my one complaint is that when turned on, the volume, even when it's on the "high point" of the volume, is way lower than what it is without it on. I've tried moving it and it doesn't make a difference. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Two words: It's Boss. I've known people that have Boss gear from the late '70s-'80s and they work. I've had it about a year and it's held up great. I would use it on a gig without a backup easily because these things are built to withstand stuff that a cockroach gets killed from. // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal and mostly got it for BLS "Bridge To Cross". I've been playing for a while now and have compared this to a DigiTech MultiFX pedal I borrowed from a friend and this blows it away. I hate the volume drop when it shouldn't drop the volume but oh well. If it was stolen I'd get pissed because they stole it but I probably wouldn't buy a new one. // 8

TR-2 Tremolo Reviewed by: mrpotter, on january 05, 2008

Ease of Use: This is a very easy product to use. It's very easy to get the sound you want. You can go from some Buffalo Springfield's "Stop, Hey, What's That Sound" to some Audioslave's "Like A Stone" with the turn of a couple knobs. It has a depth knob, which determines how dramatic the tremolo will be, a wave frequency knob, which allows you to choose anywhere between a curved vibe or a stop and go vibe. Then you have a rate knob which lets you choose how fast it goes. // 10

Sound: My setup is pretty simple. Goes from my 1981 Fender Bullet, to my Slash Crybaby wah, to my Marshall Jackhammer, to it, to a Crate Amp. There is no noise that I've noticed and the effects are always clear. My band enjoys doing some Audioslave, and any really Tom Morello impression that we jam to. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Durability I'm not so sure of. Even though it's housed in metal, it seem weak from what I've felt on it. But, then again I really don't know because I don't make it a habbit of dropping my equipment. And I'd probably not keep a backup, because if it dose break, it's not something I couldn't go on with. // 8

Overall Impression: My style of music is weird. It's emo/alternative/blues/metal all wrapped in a big tortilla shell. So for us getting our own sound, this was a great pedal for me to get. I've been playing for 3 years now and I own a Slash Crybaby Wah, my pride and joy there, The Boss TR-2, Marshall Jackhammer distortion pedal, a Crate amp, an old '50s Montgomery Ward 45W amp, and a Shechter Diamond Series, and the best for last, my 1981 Fender Bullet. If this pedal was stolen, I'd beat up whoever took it. Bt on the off chance that I don't find the guy, I'd def. buy one. It's a great peice of equipment. What I love about it is that it's easy to use, but has alotof variety. The bad thing is that it dosen't have numbers to know where you are on the knobs. You just have to feel it out a little. My fav feature is the stop and start feature. Kinda like a killswitch. So yea if you're considering this pedal get it asap! // 10

TR-2 Tremolo Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 09, 2009

Purchased from: Mailorder

Ease of Use: With three basic knobs, the TR-2 is easy to get a great sound out of. It's a little too easy to go nuts with the sound, particularly with wave shape. In front of a Live band, less is more. A long, soft "v" shaped wave is my signature sound 90% of the time. One's appreciation of the effect will depend on one's appreciation of Vintage sound. A lot of modern artists use trem and reverb and tape echo, but usually not for what the Hot Topic set listens to. I was surprised reading the other reviews that the effect is found in hesh. Perhaps, but only sparingly. Tremolo features prominently in sixties pop and The Music that is inspired by sixties pop. // 9

Sound: The TR-2 will reduce the volume of the signal. Generally, you will want to either leave it on or off during a song. Switching on and off my produce dramatic changes in volume. A power boost, like a Boosta Grande or LPB-1 can remedy the problem, for the fleet of foot. I use a couple of guitars in front of a Hot Rod DeVille 2x12. The Gibson ES produces the more salutory sound, to my taste. Paired with a little spring reverb (like a Grail), I get a really good 60s pop tone. The Jazzmaster produces better rockabilly, surf, or garage, owing to the difference between the soapbar pickups and the '57 humbuckers. Noisier guitars don't sound as refined or authentic in front of the effect. I do not generally use the trem with my Strat, for example. I also seldom use much trem with a dirty tone, preferring it as a clean, crisp accent. Other tastes may vary. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Boss pedals are built like tanks. I've had beer spill into my pedals on numerous occasions and have only had to replace on Boss pedal in my entire experience playing Live music. A backup battery is necessary only if one is not using an AC source. A TR-2 with a weak battery produces a weak effect. There is no reason to expect this pedal to crap out unless you're doing something you shouldn't be. // 10

Overall Impression: I wish Boss pedals featured some kind of locking knobs. A lot of cheap pedals feature various forms of locking mechanism, from knobs that recede into the pedal housing to covers that flip over the controls. On a dark stage, resetting knobs disturbed by a kick or overturned pedal may be a problem. But this is a problem common to most pedals, not exclusive to the TR-2. I've painted brightly colored dots of paint to mark my favorite settings. // 8

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ GT-100 Amp Effects Processor 8 Guitar Effects 07/07/2014