TU-2 Chromatic Tuner Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 12/12/2008 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
The TU-2 Chromatic Tuner incorporates Boss' world renowned TU-Series tuner technology into an ultra-convenient stompbox design. For the first time ever, guitarists and bassists can now tune their instruments with Boss accuracy with just a single stomp.
 Ease of Use: 10
 9.2
 8.4
reviews (4) 36 comments vote for this gear:
TU-2 Chromatic Tuner Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 29, 2007

Purchased from: The Guitar Shop

Ease of Use: This pedal is great for playing live anywhere pretty much. It is very easy to use and all you have to do is set it to the mode that you want. The modes are guitar standard, guitar flat, guitar double flat, bass standard, bass flat, bass double flat, and chromatic. It has a normal imput which will stop all sound while you tune and it has a bypass input which lets you hear yourself while you're tuning. The bypass is added to save battery power. You can change your standard to any tuning that ya want such as drop d, open a, open d etc. This is a great pedal tuner! // 10

Sound: This is a tuner so don't expect any effects out of it. It doesn't matter what amp you are using or guitar, it works with everything. Most guitar players I know in my area use this pedal and they haven't been disappointed in it at all from the time they've bought it. I highly recommend it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a Boss pedal so I'd have to say that durability is high. I dropped my MT 2 on concrete once and it's still fine so I'd say this pedal would be fine too. I highly rely on this pedal while playing Live shows because like I said it mutes your guitar and lets you tune. The actual tuning is very very accurate. // 10

Overall Impression: I recommend this to every guitar player or bass player out there. It's great for gigs and tuning in between songs. It is a bit pricey but I'm telling you, it's worth it! I've been playing for about 3 and a half years and this is the best pedal I've ever boughten. In terms of other tuners, in my opinion, nothing beats this one. It's a great tuner! If this pedal was stolen I would definately buy another one, hands down! // 10

TU-2 Chromatic Tuner Reviewed by: symanoy, on december 12, 2008

Ease of Use: Is incredibly easy to use stomp on it and line up the dots, 2 options of display, stream and cent. I find cent much easier basically tune till the green LED lights up, in stream a stream of leds flow across the screen right for sharp left for flat and stay still once your in tune.can also select tuning mode. chromatic, where it displays the note name closest in pitch to note played, guitar mode, displays string number, guitar flat same but for Eb tuning, Guitar double flat for D tuning, and the same for Bass, it claims to work for 7 string guitars too allthough I have not tried this as I do not own one. Chromatic mode is most useful in my opinion. also mutes the signal when stomped on which is very useful to tune in silence or just to simply be quiet in between songs or whatever. I find it to be very accurate and useful. can change frequency of A if you want too, not sure why you would but it's an option. also has the ability to power several other pedals using the same adaptor such as Boss, MXR, Ibanez etc using the daisy chain, // 10

Sound: This is fairly irrelevant as it does not effect your tone, I know Boss pedals are meant to have bad bypass but I have not noticed it with this pedal. I use it with an Ibanez RG through Cube 30. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its a Boss pedal so it's built like a tank! very tough no worries about reliability, wouldn't want to stamp on the screen though. would use without a backup.no problems so far. // 10

Overall Impression: Is a great pedal, does all it needs to well, nice package, bright LED's great Live, don't know how I managed without it before. However it is very expensive I mean 60 for a tuner I know it's in a pedal but still when you can get a regular tuner for about a tenner this seems a lot. definitely overpriced. the only other disadvantage is I was hoping to be able to use it to power my DD20 however using the Boss adaptor it can only supply 200ma which is not enough for the tuner and Delay, however this is not a problem with the pedal, just be warned if you plan to power your whole pedal board from it! // 9

TU-2 Chromatic Tuner Reviewed by: punkrock4all, on march 22, 2007

Ease of Use: Now, I've only been playing for a couple of years, but I've experimented with a wide variety of tuners, and this is the most simple one I've used, but it achieves the best results. It has one input, but there's two outputs. One is so you're silent while tuning, and the other is so you can hear yourself while tuning. There's a stream/ center button, on stream, ligts go across the display in the direction you need to tune; left to tune down, right to tune up. There's a mode button, which changes it so the display shows the letter name, or the string number the note you're playing is closest to. I prefer to keep it on the letter name mode, with the center mode. It's more precise, and makes it easy to do alternate tunings. // 10

Sound: I'm using this with a metal zone, and a super chorus pedal. I plug strait into a P.A. This pedal doesn't affect the overall sound, noise, or tone of other pedals at all. I find it great, and it really helps that you can silence your output while tuning. It's good for playing any artist, and tuning. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Since this is a Boss, it's basically 99.9999999% indestructible. You can power it with a nine volt battery, or with a power pack. It has two jacks, so with a power pack, you can plug in a daisy chain, and power a lot of other pedals. I'd rely on this pedal at a gig 100% with out a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this pedal is, like almost every other Boss pedal, it's amazing, and basically the best of its kind. It's great no matter what style of music you play.This is the best tuner I've used, and it's really effective and quick. If I lost this, or it was stolen, I'd replace it within a couple of days. I love this thing! // 10

TU-2 Chromatic Tuner Reviewed by: cjb2293, on december 10, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal is extremely easy to use. You hook it into your amp, guitar, and any other pedals you have, and it doesn't rob any of your tone from you. It has a feature on it that mutes the output for when you tune so it doesn't make that horrible tuning sound on stage. It comes with a small manual that teaches you what all the little buttons on it do and it teaches you how to Switch modes and such on it. // 10

Sound: This pedal basically just tunes your guitar and can improve your tunings incredibly. I used a basic generic lyon tuner and when I switched over to this tuner the quality of how my strings were tuned was so much better. It also tunes to all the letters in the scale and does sharp/flat notes. Other than the quality of your tuning there isn't anything else that will effect the sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is great for on-stage performance. When you finish a song and you need to quickly tune your guitar, you can do that and not produce that annoying tuning sound of out your amplifier that will annoy the crowd. I highly recommend this if your playing a gig and you will not need to get any sort of other tuner. This thing will easily get the job done. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is the best purchase I've made pedal wise. It greatly helps me when I need to tune real quick at home or on-stage. In my two years of experience, this is the best way to tune that I've seen. It works great for guitar or bass. I compared this to a few others when I was looking at buying a tuner because I wanted a good quality tuner that would mute the output when I tuned on stage. And I found this perfect tuner. Another great thing it has is that you can buy a chord that will allow you to power other pedals on your pedal (or will allow you to when you start to build a pedalboard). // 10

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ ME-50B Bass Multi Effects Processor 8.5 Bass Effects 11/20/2014