TU-3 Chromatic Tuner Review

reviews (4) pictures (3) 16 comments vote for this gear:
TU-3 Chromatic Tuner Reviewed by: Cainus Anus, on november 22, 2010

Price paid: A$ 120

Purchased from: Online

Ease of Use: The TU-3 is a high quality tuner which is extremely easy to use. It has the ability to tune by string number, drop tune and fine-tune a pitch as does the TU-2. These functions are fairly basic to use. Though I rarely use many of the new bells and whistles, the most basic tuning functions have been improved. It picks up notes promptly without any lag. There are more LEDs than the TU-2 making it visually more easy to read. There is also a high brightness mode which I haven't really had to use yet, though if playing outside it may be useful. One of the handiest new features visually shows you when you have sat on the correct pitch for a period of time and the string is "in tune". // 10

Sound: I use it to tune a Maton MS3 electric or a Cort or Cole Clark Acoustic through this. The tuner does not degrade the sound of the guitar at all when played through it, and can mute when tuning without any pops or buzzes. It tunes very precisely, and with the extra lights tuning is very quick. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Having only had this for several months, it is hard to say without a doubt that this is more durable than the TU-2 but it is certainly made from the best materials. Boss are renowned for making durable pedals and I would certainly depend on it. It is solid as a rock and you would have to try very very hard to break it. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is an accurate, high quality tuner which feels indestructible. Tuning is a breeze. Boss have improved on the most important and basic features of a tuner while adding some minor additional features for those who like extra bonuses. I saw a video on youtube (called: "Boss TU-3 VS TU-2 Tuner Head to Head Mini Review") where the TU-3 actually picked up notes slightly quicker than the TU-2. Whether or not this is fact, it certainly doesn't struggle to Pick up a note quickly.

I wouldn't rush out and buy this if you already have a TU-2. It is a slightly quicker (though the difference is minimal) and easier to read tuner than the TU-2, but worth the investment. If you are looking for a high quality tuner, it is my opinion that this is the benchmark. // 10

TU-3 Chromatic Tuner Reviewed by: LivinJoke84, on january 09, 2012

Purchased from: Dawsons Music - Leeds

Ease of Use: Its as easy as they come. Plug in your guitar/bass and press the pedal. Play each string and it will show you how sharp/flat you are. Tune accordingly, that's it! Display is crystal clear and bright. Different colours really help to highlight how out of tune you are. Can access drop tunings with ease. You can use this as a chromatic tuner, where the note you are playing is displayed, or you can get it to display the string number being played. I prefer to keep it on chromatic. Can be changed with the touch of a button. Finds notes really quick which makes tuning a breeze. Can be used to learn notes in a scale too! If you know the scale pattern and not the actual notes being played, simply use the pedal in chromatic mode and play through the scale. The notes will be displayed. Only downside is that each string has to be tuned separately unlike on some other tuners where you can just strum the open strings together and the ones out of tune will be displayed. // 9

Sound: Hard to give this a rating really seeing as though its a tuner. What it does do however is kill the signal from your guitar to the amp meaning you can tune in silence without the annoying sound coming through the amp. Not essential for home use but no gigging guitarist/bassist should be without one. Not true bypass which may upset some people. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Its a Boss product. What else is there to say? Its basically indestructable. Like all their stompboxes it is made out of metal. The only damage it is ever going to sustain is chipped paint. I would gig with this without a back up, just make sure you have a spare battery or plug and you can bet your life on it. // 10

Overall Impression: A pedal based tuner is something I've been looking at getting for a while. I have the Boss TU-80 which you have to unplug your guitar from your rig and then plug it into the tuner. Because I already had a tuner I was put off at the thought of paying 80 for something I basically already had. Now I have bought this, I do not regret it one bit. Keeping in tune is a breeze and having joined a band recently I felt this was an essential piece of kit. If this was stolen I would find the person responsible and club them to death with it. The blood red would compliment its white colour quite nicely I imagine. Failing that, I would definitely buy another. Some of you might want to know if this is better than the TU-2. Yes, it is. Its more accurate, the display is brighter and it finds notes faster. The bottom line though, is if you have a TU-2 then its probably not worth spending the 80 for something that is marginally better. If you don't have a pedal based tuner at all, do not hesitate to get this especially if you plan on gigging. // 10

TU-3 Chromatic Tuner Reviewed by: coreytaylor15, on january 20, 2012

Price paid: A$ 180

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Music

Ease of Use: The TU-3 tuner is very easy to set up and to use. It has a 'Mode' button which can change it between guitar to bass, and how many string etc etc. It's also very easy to change the battery in it as the pedal just needs to be unscrewed to do this. It's got excellent tuning range which is very helpful. I've tuned down a whole octave on this pedal and it still worked as if it was in a higher, 'easier to tune' tuning. // 9

Sound: This pedal is coming out of a Line 6 15 watt amp and doesn't effect the sound at all. It will also cut your sound out when you turn the pedal on so if you're playing live no body will hear you tuning. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very reliable to use. It doesn't seem like it would break on you easily and would stand up to quite a bit of onstage abuse. I haven't yet played live with it yet but it seems like it would be very reliable and you wouldn't need a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this pedal is a great product. It's a fantastic tuner and if is where stolen I would be sure to get another. It takes a bit of time to figure everything out such as different modes and such, but once this is mastered it's fantastic. I would suggest trying some other pedals in case you don't like this (obviously), but I love it. The reason I'm giving this am 8/10 is because of the time it takes to figure out the modes but I'd suggest getting it. // 8

TU-3 Chromatic Tuner Reviewed by: MetalSlvg, on august 31, 2012

Ease of Use: The TU-3 is really easy to use and has a ton of great features. I use it to tune my guitar to Eb Standard but it has the ability to tune for drop tunings and 7 string. For a full list of features visit the manufacturers website. The TU-3 is a huge upgrade on the TU-2. The TU-2 uses individual LEDs and the TU-3 has more points to see your tuning getting closer to the mark. The manual is available on the Boss website and is best to read before use but it comes set up for standard tuning and if you push too many buttons you can reset the unit to factory very easily. // 10

Sound: This pedal is super quiet and doesn't introduce any noise into my signal. I have this first in my chain and it is power a homebuilt tubescreamer, an MXR 6-Band EQ and an MXR Smart Gate. Presently I have it so when it is on, it mutes my signal so I can tune in peace. I have also tried with the signal passing to hear my tuning as I go and there is no popping when turning on and doesn't make any difference to tone. When it's out of the chain altogether it sounds exactly the same as when it's in. Just as a good tuner should. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I could put one word in here to describe it's reliability and durability it would be Boss. I'm sure Boss must have taken equal parts of Captain Americas' shield and Thors' Mjolnir to build their pedals. You know how supermans suit is always fine even after he's been shot at? That's how a Boss pedal feels. // 10

Overall Impression: I use this pedal every time I tune. I have a Schaller Floyd Rose and the fine tuning is highly accurate. I think the only thing better than the TU-3 would be a poly tuner only for stage use to check your tuning on every string individually when playing live. I don't need that and most of you won't need that unless your bridge is poor quality AND you play like a maniac. // 10

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ ME-50B Bass Multi Effects Processor 8.5 Bass Effects 11/20/2014