BudWah Review

manufacturer: Budda date: 09/24/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Budda: BudWah
The Budda wah is hands down the one of the finest wah pedals ever made. Fully depressed, the highs have been rolled off to a frequency that isn't piercing like many wahs. The overall tone sweep concentrates on a tight and focused range with outstanding vocal like quality.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Ease of Use: 9.7
 9.9
 9.8
reviews (3) 2 comments vote for this gear:
BudWah Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 28, 2008

Purchased from: Russos

Ease of Use: Extremely easy to use, push forward to turn on, rock back and forth, push forward to turn off. An input jack, and output jack, and a DC power jack (also runs on batteries). No other settings to mess with, because they aren't needed. Again, just rock back and forth, in any form possible. Works good if you vibrate the pedal, you get a real flanger/tremolo/vibrato sound. // 10

Sound: I used and ESP Viper through a Marshall MG50DFX. This baby plays like a breeze. It sounds amazing, has the perfect range. Not too high, so sounds isn't gritty. Perfect low range, this baby booms. It isn't squirrelly like other wahs. This sounds good on distortion too. Don't play with it too high, as no wah sounds good up there. Probably an 8 or 9 is the limit. Great to play with blues and funk, it goes well with rock too. Overall, a great sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This baby will last a few decades. It has an awesome purple casing that is very solid. Rock pedal it durable, simple design. This pedal is well grounded and doesn't crackly. I would definetly gig with it. Only thing that I would change is the clicking noise made when you move the pedal forward. It clicks because it hits it's limit by hitting the on-off Switch, and when it pulls out it clicks. At low volume, it get's annoying, but if you are cranking it up, it isn't noticeable. // 9

Overall Impression: I play anything from blues to metal. This goes well with any of those genres, and in between too! I've been playing for a while, and I own an Epiphone SG G-400, with a MarshallMG30DFX. I tried the pedal at the store before buying it. When I was looking at wah pedals, I went to the store and looked at them and saw they had quite a few, so I asked. "Hey, I'm looking for a wah pedal, I see you have about 6 different kinds." the guy said, "Nope, there's only one wah pedal there." I was confused, and he said "See that purple one? That's the only one that deserves the name of wah pedal." I was almost sold at that. I tried it out, and the sound was amazing. I compared it with other pedals like Crybaby (Classic, Wylde) and the Weeping Demon, but non come close to the simplicity, yet versatility of the Budda BudWah. If it was lost or stolen, I would immediatly save up and buy another one. Best pedal out there, Great sound, great use, great durablity. // 10

BudWah Reviewed by: The Picker, on october 14, 2008

Purchased from: Boynton Pro Audio (via eBay)

Ease of Use: This is an excellent product, and it's very easy to use. Simply plug your guitar into the input, and your amp into the output. I was able to get an excellent sound for funk, blues or classic rock with minimal EQ adjustments (basically, I just turned the tone knob down on my guitar). It did not come with a manual, but there is not much too this wah to figure out. There's no settings or EQ on the pedal, just straight up wah-rocking. // 9

Sound: I am using this pedal with an Ibanez Gio GRX40 and a Fender Champ 600, and sometimes with an Ibanez Tubescreamer OD behind the wah. It is noisy when I am using the single coils on my guitar, but being a cheap guitar, those are always noisy. The wah is always strong, and you can rock it forward without getting an ear-splitting wail. It has very good sweep that focuses on the midrange. I can easily get Hendrix and Eddie Hazel like tones out of it, so perfect for funk and classic rock. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I only got it recently, but so far it has held up well. I am just using it in my bedroom, but I am not worried about it breaking, since it seems solidly built. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before, this is a good wah for classic rock, funk, and blues. When I tried to crank up the gain for metal or harder rock, it got too muddy, though. I have been playing seriously for about a year or so, but I think I can keep this pedal for a long time. If I lost it, I would probably get another. My favorite feature is it's simplicity: no dials or knobs to mess with, just straight-up wah. // 10

BudWah Reviewed by: CrimsonRoc, on september 24, 2010

Purchased from: Music-Go-Round

Ease of Use: This pedal is extremely simple to use. All you do is fully depress it until it goes on/off. No knobs for volume or other crazy things they put on other Wah pedals. Why? Because it does what it's supposed to, and it does it well. It didn't come with a manual because I bought it used, but like I said, don't really need one. And this model has not had any kind of upgrade. In fact, as far as I know, the new model they have out is the same exact thing as this one, except packaged differently. // 10

Sound: I use a Carvin mts 3200 50th anniversary 100 watt amp with either an old Schecter gryphon, or a spalted maple tele. None of which are modified. I have not found the pedal to be noisy on any channel or settings. The Wah effect always sounds great. It's rolls the bass back perfectly and screams the trebles with-out making them pingy or twangy. And now that I think about it, this pedal can definitely give you a sound very close to that of John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. More specifically, take a listen to the solo in dani california. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well, it's missing one of the little rubber feet, but I have depended on, and giged with this pedal more times than I can remember through out the years. Which by the way, I believe I've had this pedal for about 4 years now. It's built pretty sturdy. Would I trust dropping it off the top of a 3 story apartment complex? Not so much. But it'll handle what you dish out and more. And heck, it's made it this long without a back up, so i would say it doesn't really need one. And the battery life is actually reasonable, though if you were to gig with it for any period of time, I would buy the ac adapter. I give it a 9 because I can't throw it into moving traffic and expect it to live. // 9

Overall Impression: I honestly play almost everything under the sun, except maybe some jazz and country, although I've dabbled. I would say I like my hard rock. I'm not a heavy metal person though. I don't really go much deeper than perhaps Tool's sound. I also like my funk music, and blues. No matter what I'm playing, this pedal does what I want it to. Great on the cleans, kick-a$$ on the dirty side. Super versatile. I have played for roughly 10 years now. And no, I don't need to sit here and list all the other gear I own. If it were stolen by some rat-bast***, then yes, I suppose I would replace it. What do I love about it? Well, its a hard-wire bypass which makes me happy. And it sounds the way a good Wah pedal should on cleans and over-drive. I am, however, not a big fan of purple, but ya win some ya lose some. I compared this pedal with all kinds of other Wah pedals out there, including the standard cry baby, the Slash model of such, as well as the Ibanez weeping demon, and etc. etc. I chose this one because it was simple, it had it's own unique voice, and it sounded awesome whether cleaned up or driven. I wish it wasn't purple. Overall, I give it a 9.5, because nothings perfect, but sh** this is pretty da** close. If you don't believe me, then go listen for yourself. // 10

More Budda reviews rating category latest review
+ Superdrive 18 Series II 1x12 Combo 9 Guitar Amplifiers 02/11/2014