Plexitone Review

8.9
reviews (2) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Plexitone Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 13, 2011

Purchased from: GC

Ease of Use: Easy to use. Has a Drive, then another switch for more gain, then a boost. The manual is terrible. It's really a sales sheet for all their products. It just has one tone knob for both channels. A separate one for each channel would be nice. Or a high, mid, low instead of 1 knob. // 8

Sound: I am using a Fender HSS strat through a Fender Evil Twin tube amp. The effect is pretty good, I just have a couple of issues with it. You can get it to sound like a cool distortion, but that is about all you can do. After the crunch, there isn't much extra added to it with the next gain switch. And when you are using a neck pickup it doesn't sound so great. probably why Eddie just used to have one bridge PU and that was it. Boost can boost very loud. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Don't know, only had it a few days. Feels strong. It is making me type in 200 more characters in this space, which is dumb since I have no idea how reliable it is. I'd write more reviews if I didn't have to write a book! // 8

Overall Impression: The issues I have with this thing are what I said before about the 2nd stage gain not adding much to the first - so you get a decent gain, but it could go further and would be better. I also have a Keeley modded Boss BD-2 pedal and the Boss pedal sounds exactly like the Plexitone when cranked with full gain. However, the Boss sounds much much better when the gain is less, than the Plexitone does. For the money, I'd go with a Keeley modded BD-2 for sure. I'm taking my Plexitone back to GC. // 7

Plexitone Reviewed by: annostyle, on november 16, 2011

Purchased from: Online

Ease of Use: Very simple to use. Crunch setting, high gain setting, tone, volume, and boost. The chickenhead style knobs are a little sensitive to the touch, meaning a strong breeze might move them a little. But the rotary dials make it easy to dial in exactly what you want. It is not battery powered, not can it be powered with say, a one-spot. It has its own built in power supply that needs to be plugged in. // 8

Sound: I've been playing for almost 20 years, and have had many pedals, amps, guitars, etc. This pedal is among the best I've ever had. You can dial in a very rich authentic Marshall sound. It sounds like a cranked 100 watt Plexi. It even "feels" like a dynamic tube amp. Very responsive to your Pick attack. Cleans up well when you roll off the volume a bit. In crunch mode you can get some very true AC/DC type distortion. Rich and ballsy if I may say so. In high gain mode it just takes off from there. Excellent sounding gain. Not modern metal kind of gain. Just good Vintage rock and roll. The pedal has a good amount of bass and treble on tap, but it never becomes muddy or fizzy. I find it very useful to throw a tube Screamer in front of it for solo's, to get a little boost in the mids. The boost function is a clean boost. It wont add any Drive to your sound, just volume. And it's capable of giving you plenty of volume boost if needed. This pedal needs to be played with humbuckers and sounds best through a clean amp. Clean to barely pushed. Though single coils sound good as well, I think it was made to match with humbuckers. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The housing seems very sturdy and dependable. The footswitches are pretty tough as well. There are no layers of bulletproof armor but I think it can handle a beating. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this pedal is a very surprising one. Meaning I'm always skeptical of how OD pedals sound. But this one has really blown me away. It is a real Marshall in a box. I think its a keeper for a long time coming. // 9

More Carl Martin reviews rating category latest review