Brownie Review

8.8
 9.5
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Brownie Reviewed by: david.peavy.712, on february 07, 2014

Ease of Use: It has a very wide range from slight Overdrive to creamy smooth but cutting clear sound. It is dead quiet & has a ton of level as well as distortion levels. The tone knob is a welcome feature. Very easy to set it & forget it, just has it's own powerful but smooth/dynamic sound. The frequencies are very well set, balanced & I love this pedal more than about a dozen others I own. It cuts through the mix extremely well with heavy left handed keyboard player & horns. Ok it's simple to set to suit your own particular. I advise going to the website & listening to the sound samples. // 10

Sound: Having bought Chad's Signa comp compressor, I didn't hesitate wit Brownie. Great web site sounds BTW. The compressor is small footprint, great clean boost and QUIET! Comp's are notoriously noisy. Kendrick, Fuchs, & Budda all love the Brownie. The sound has a wide range of overdrive to a great but smooth lead sound. Vintage rock & R & B dance cover band it does a great job. The full tone OCD covers hard core rock, the brownie the smooth sweet stuff. ZZ gets OCD & Brownie get the rest. To my ear knocking about 8 OD pedals off the pedal board is a 10! A real '53 Tele my dad bought new, '87 PRS, Strats, PRS HB 2 & others. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It has a small footprint, built extremely well & the painted finish is almost as good as full tone. Solid frame with fitted bottom. It has never failed me & I doubt it ever will being built after say a Dynacomp quality & design. I mean it's a stomp box & designed to be jumped on when you are ready. I would say it is as dependable as any other pedal, & quite a bit tougher than some pedals I currently own. I feel the small footprint is very welcome feature as I have been on a quest to downsize the real-estate of pedals in general. (except deluxe memory boy.. It stays on the board despite it's size! // 9

Overall Impression: Vintage rock & R&B cover dance band, been at it all my life, same band for 18 years with players far better than me. The Brownie does something else which is sweet. If you are into guitar sound long enough, you learn the great sound of cascading gain stages. There is just something about hitting the Brownie with some of compressor thus running them both at lower setting than running alone. The pedal must have the headroom to take a hotter signal above guitar signal & Brownie does this in spades. Metal players look elsewhere. At 140 to $160 it is a lot for your money IMUO! // 9

More CMATmods reviews rating category latest review
+ Buffer 4.9 Guitar Effects 04/15/2011