Solid Metal Review

manufacturer: Damage Control date: 12/24/2007 category: Guitar Effects
Damage Control: Solid Metal
The Solid Metal dual-tube distortion pedal produces massive, face-melting gain. Flexible controls let you dial in metal tones from the '80s to beyond tomorrow. The unique shape of the Bass control adjusts the speaker's resonant response for the proper level of chest-thump during tight palm-muted passages, while the Scoop and Treble knobs sculpt and top off your tone to perfection.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Ease of Use: 9
 9.4
 8.5
reviews (2) 21 comments vote for this gear:
Solid Metal Reviewed by: walls_bleed, on january 31, 2007

Ease of Use: First off, this thing is the Chuck Norris of distortion pedals! this is not analog distortion, this is real tube distortion, no modeling. It has two 12AX7's in it. It's real easy to get a good sound out of it if you know what you're doing as far as EQ-ing goes. It has five controls: level, drive, treble, bass, and a mid-scoop. It gives me whatever I want for pretty much any type of rock, metal, crunchy blues, whatever. // 9

Sound: I got it because I can't afford a good tube amp and the Randall I have is a great amp, but it's solid-state. It's got two Celestion '70/'80s in it so this pedal sounds great on it. I've been playing a cheap-but-awesome Washburn on it and it was awesome and now I have an LTD-MV200 that kicks anus. It has active EMG's and such and the pedal sounds awesome still. No noise really. My amp's distortion was quiet I thought but this pedal makes my amp dist. seem noisy. I can get anything from Lamb of God, to Killswitch Engage, to Chevelle, to anything. It looks awesome too, it has indicater lights and makes the tubes glow. It has two stages of distortion: regular crunch, and "nuclear" which is a gain boost. When you transition from the two you don't get a different tone, just more or less Drive. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a tank. It's made of staight metal, no plastic, except for the knobs. It's never done anything wierd or questionable yet. I've had it since November 06. I haven't gigged w/it but I use it at church every sunday/wed. and it's completely reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: It's simply awesome. I play metal, hard rock, blues, and it's awesome. I've been playing 2 years and I've played w/a lot of different distorions and aside from true tube amps this thing makes everything else look crap-tacular. If it were stolen or lost I'd definatly buy it again unless I had enough to buy a good tube amp. Buy this if you're tired of analog distortion. // 10

Solid Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 24, 2007

Ease of Use: First of all this pedal is a tube pedal, not a an analog distortion, this is the real deal. It has two 12AX7's and it gives the closest sound to a tube amp I've ever heard without it being a tube amp. The manual is very simple. It's not the easiest to get the tone you want out of the pedal, it takes a little dialing in but it doesn't take too long. After about a week I had a really good tone that suited my style. It's really simple to use, there's five knobs: level, drive, treble, low, and mid-scoop. You have to balance between the pedals EQ and the amps EQ to get a good sound. And every amp is different. // 9

Sound: I used to use this pedal with a Randall RG100 212 w/Celestion 70/80's and I got the most amazing tone. I now play it on different amps because I have to borrow amps since my Randall blew up on me. I play with an LTD MV200 with active EMG's (81 in the bridge and a single coil EMG in the neck). The EMG's give this pedal head room, I keep the Drive a little over halfway and I get plenty of gain. with non-active electronics you have to crank the Drive up a bit more, but it still has a bit of headroom left (I haven't played a guitar on it yet that called for turning the Drive all the way up). This pedal can make a shitty amp sound good. Not great or awesome, but a lot better than it used to (keep in mind, this may depend on the circuitry or speakers). This pedal acts like a tube amp with picking dynamics and such, and it just keeps sounding better. I'd say it took me about 2 months to break it in really good, like most tube amps. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is a very durable pedal, I've had it over a year now, I've takin it everywhere, it's been dropped, tossed around, sprinkled with water, and it's holding up fine. It has a Solid Metal chasis so that may be why it's so durable. I would trust it at a gig for sure. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal/hardcore/screamo type stuff that calls for similar but different tones and this pedal can dial in all the distortions I need. It was meant for metal. I've been able to closely match Lamb Of God tones (Sacrament and As The Palaces Burn), Killswitch tones, Vanna tones, It Dies Today tones, and it gives me great lead tones. Keep in mind, this is not a tube amp! I do not hallow this pedal over tube amps, I just can't afford one right now. If you cannot afford a tube amp, I strongley recommend this pedal; if you can afford one, buy a tube amp! I love this pedal and it's been well worth the $200. If it were stolen I'd kill whoever stole it and I would'nt buy it again b/c I'm saving for a 05 or a used Mesa Road King. // 9

More Damage Control reviews rating category latest review