Cool Cat Review

manufacturer: Danelectro date: 07/09/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Danelectro: Cool Cat
The coolest, sweetest Chorus ever! Once you hear this great vintage chorus, you'll realize nothing else even comes close. True stereo sound with second output jack. As rich, syrupy, and silky as it gets.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Ease of Use: 6.3
 7.8
 7.2
 8.3
reviews (3) pictures (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Cool Cat Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 16, 2005

Purchased from: Music123.com

Ease of Use: This unit is very simple and straight-forward to use. It's effortless to dial in a variety of warm vintage sounding chorus settings. There are two controls - a Speed for rate control and a Chill for depth control. Rate is how fast the sound swirls, depth is how deep. The settings cover a wide range of sound so you actually hear a big change when you turn them. The single in and stereo out is very easy with the mono side. The manual has some very good recommended settings that sounded very good. The sample settings in the manual are awesome, especially the ones for the combinations of different pedals. // 10

Sound: The sound is quite good. When going in the effects loop, you loose a little depth, but thats ok 'cause this thing is lush. Going through the front end it sounds amazing. It gets a little hard to hear the notes from the guitar with the speed knob up, but it all depends on what type of sound you want. The Cool Cat has its own unique, subtle chorus that doesn't particularly sound like any other chorus. The Speed knob is pretty responsive, on its low settings you can get nice, smooth, shimmery sounds out of it. The Chill knob isn't so responsive, if you drop it past half, you really can't hear the chorusing effect. But overall, it this pedal sounds great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's solid metal contruction, you could probably throw this thing off a bridge and still use it. Footswitch very easy to activate/deactivate. The actual housing of the unit is very good. The controls are cheap as cheap can be, same goes for the switch. And you absolutely must buy the AC adaptor because this box eats batteries as a snack. No backup should be necessary. // 10

Overall Impression: All in all, it sounds great and gets that nice slow sweep. It must be heard to be truly appreciated. It can change from a subtle, extended, tube-like tone to a weird, bizarre noise. The variety you can get out of only two knobs is surprising. Looks great, sounds very good and should hold up for a good amount of time. Check it out and stomp away! // 10

Cool Cat Reviewed by: fenderfifty6, on july 23, 2008

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Ease of Use: My Danelectro CD-1 Cool Cat Distortion Pedal is a very good piece of equipment by almost every standard, especially considering that it was 40 dollars. As advertised, it does have a classic sound, but has that grind you like to hear when you need it. The manual is very easy to read and gives you 3 preset examples along with instructions and explanations for all controls. Presets include, "Classic Rock Grind", "Southern Rock Slide Zone", and "Chips and Salsa". // 8

Sound: Playing this distortion pedal through a Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 30DFX and a Squier Strat, it provides a much different sound as compared to the standard distortion channel of my amp. Hughes & Kettner and Danelectro are both tone-based electronics producers, and with the pedal no tone whatsoever is lost. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This here is a metal stomp box for a great price that will last for a good long time. However, I would recommend purchasing the power adapter. The batteries won't last long regardless, and if you forget to turn it off then you'll most likely wake up to find that you need to replace the batteries. // 8

Overall Impression: For me, my Cool Cat works perfectly for the type of music I play and the sound I love to hear. Although it isn't near the top of the market in terms of technology or sound, for forty bucks you get a much better pedal than what the money indicates. I play mostly alt/grunge/rock/metal, and its capabilities cover these areas beautifully. It tends to be a bit sensitive when bringing up the level, however I suppose that is to be expected. Although simple, I find that the stacked controls for treble and bass is an interesting concept. I did compare the pedal to a Boss pedal that was the exact same price with good reviews, but read that you lose a lot of tone when looking for slightly higher distortion. I had also heard great things about Danelectro, and decided to take a chance. Thus far, everything has worked out very well. // 9

Cool Cat Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 09, 2012

Purchased from: Crazy Dave's

Ease of Use: There are two knobs and no intervals to remember where you had it turned to. I hate when pedals do that. If they did upgrade this it is bound to sound better, its like going from broke to a few bucks, you may not get a lot but hey something is better than nothing. It is easy to get a sound you want, if you stick with the same sound like AC/DC does. If you like that one setting then hey this is perfect for you. // 1

Sound: No matter how I set it it sounded the same. I thought I just hated chorus pedals, but no this pedal sucks. You can basically have one sound no matter how to set it, so if you like one chorus sound and this sound is it then hey, this is for you. I spent so much time actually trying to get some kind of sound, but it all sounds the same, this pedal only gets you one chorus sound. I was using my Squier Strat. I tried using it with distortion and it didn't do anything, just sounded the same chorus sound that it always has no matter how you turn it. // 1

Reliability & Durability: Its a metal casing. Good for a paper weight or to beat someone, but that's about it. Hell no! I would not use it with out a backup, I wouldn't even use it in a gig, I don't want to sound like a crappy band. Its a metal casing, and its heavy, so its a good paper weight or blunt object to beat some one with, It does have a very nice color and shape. Battery lasts long, since I never changed the battery for the whole time I have owned it. Please people do not buy this, I tell every one of my guitarist friends to not buy this at all. // 10

Overall Impression: The absolute worse chorus pedal I have ever tried. I tried to play Nirvana and other type bands with this, it sounded all the same, it didn't do crap. I owned it for about a couple months to a year. I never used it because it never changed. I now own an Ibanez chorus/flanger, which I like way more. If it were lost I wouldn't care, it were stolen I would just laugh at the person who stole it. I hate how there are no numbers so you know which setting you liked. The color and shape are nice though. I compared it to every other chorus pedal, and they better than this. I wish I never bought it, I wish I tried out more pedals, I ended up selling it back to the store. // 1

More Danelectro reviews rating category latest review
+ Rumor 8.3 Bass Guitars 10/16/2014