Cool Cat CD-1 Distortion Review

manufacturer: Danelectro date: 10/07/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Danelectro: Cool Cat CD-1 Distortion
I like the pedal. Really good for beginners or others for tight budget.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Ease of Use: 8.5
 8.8
 8.6
reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Cool Cat CD-1 Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 30, 2013

Purchased from: Lyric Philippines

Ease of Use: It easy to get a good sound. It has level (volume), treble and bass, gain(how much distortion). The manual is easy to understand but I don't read it because the item is easy to figure out. Well, this is my first distortion pedal. I'm a newbie in electric guitars but I have a lot of experience in acoustic. The only thing that I dislike about this item is the hardness of turning on or off the pedal. You should use a little more force. But all in all, I like the pedal. Really good for beginners or others for tight budget. // 8

Sound: I'm using a Fender Sidekick Reverb 30 amplifier and a Cort X1-FR guitar. Even if I have a cheap guitar, it sounds really good. Before I buy the item, I tried the Danelectro Fab Distortion too. It's weak and made of plastic. Then I tried Cool Cats and I just say "awesome" for the sound and price. I think you can compete this pedal with Boss DS-1. I can get the sound I want but I know it's not the best that I can get. I'm still looking for a good mix. I played with a band. Paramore's "Still Into You." I can get the sound of the lead guitar and the rhythm. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it. Easy to use and works very well. Even a beginner can really have fun with it. The Item is durable because it's made of metal. It fell down like twice nothing happened. It's a very durable item for the price, I swear. I would use I on a gig even there's no backup. I really recommend this pedal guys. Expect the unexpected one. Best for the money. Durability, sound, reliability... Oh my. Freakin good! I love what I bought. I never regret it. Just be wise of picking some of these stiffed pedals. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly alternative and punk rock. I'm fan of Fall Out Boy, Maroon 5, MCR, etc. And yeah... It's a good much. Well, it's a distortion. I think all players here should have distortion or Overdrive pedal. I'm playing electric for like 6 months. Never wished something before I bought the pedal. I just need a distortion with a good price. I will but another if it were stolen or lost. I just love(the color too) it! It's true bypass. I compared it to FAB distortion. FAB sounds cheapy and plastic. This one sounds ROCK. I wish this item is a little bit smaller because it will crash my future pedalboard. Video from YouTube:

// 9

Cool Cat CD-1 Distortion Reviewed by: elbastage, on october 07, 2013

Ease of Use: Pretty easy to use, just plug it in and play. It takes a 9-volt battery or a 9-volt supply if that's your cup of milk. The manual is short and goofy, but it gets the job done. The dual high/low control on the middle knob is a little interesting to get used to, but I tend to keep them almost maxed out anyway. Just keep the level and gain down pretty low, and you'll be surprised at how civilized it can be. In the end, the Danelectro CD-1 Cool Cat Distortion provides simple, no nonsense grind at an unbelievably affordable price. // 9

Sound: This may sound strange, but this is the main overdrive that I use. It can do anything from a slight purr to crazy, hair raising, saturation. I tend to keep it pretty low on the gain and volume settings because it is LOUD. I run it into a 4 watt Fargen El Bastage combo set near breakup and the way it pushes the amp over the edge is wonderful. Very thick and smooth overdrive, even on the lower settings. Its hard to explain, but for some reason, it just has a satisfying grind when you really dig in. I love it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well, this is the pre-lawsuit version that is basically an exact copy of the MI Audio Crunchbox except made with cheaper parts. There have been a few times where it has acted up on me (huge volume drop when engaged/completely cutting signal) but unplugging it and plugging it back in have always fixed the issue. I'm sure that the Crunchbox is more reliable, but for 1/4 the price, what the heck. I've never had a problem with it in a gig, and the case is pretty sturdy, so it should last a while. // 6

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for 10 years, everything from prog rock to worship, and this is the best deal in guitar equipment that I've ever seen. A lot of people rave about the DigiTech Bad Monkey as a great cheap distortion, but in my opinion, this cool kitty blows it out of the water. I've played tube screamers, OCDs, Boss pedals etc. And this is my favorite of the bunch. Seriously, if you can find one of these stray CD1s, grab it. There's a reason why Danelectro got sued for making these so cheap. // 9

More Danelectro reviews rating category latest review
+ '59 DC-12 7.7 Electric Guitars 10/30/2014