Interstellar Overdriver Review

8.2
review (1) pictures (1) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Interstellar Overdriver Reviewed by: klysandral, on june 11, 2010

Purchased from: Musicmakers Austin

Ease of Use: This Overdrive pedal (presented by Death By Audio, the pedal company of Oliver Ackermann, frontman of A Place to Bury Stangers) couldn't really be much simpler. Two knobs, one for Volume (labeled Master) and one for Overdrive, which controls the amount of Drive. Theres plenty of Db to boot and the Master knob can let you control the very high volumes this pedal reaches when its fully driven. Bright and big LED tells you if its on or off, and a normal 9v power plug powers it (no batteries, sorry). There was no manual because you shouldn't need one. A 9 because of the lack of a battery option. // 9

Sound: Using this pedal on different amps really showed me that the pedal is simple by nature and therefore will emphasize the sound of your amp, so if you've got a good one this will definitely help the sound of the pedal, and a trashy amp will still sound trashy. My amps are somewhere in-between: I'm running a standard MIM strat through a Fender Deluxe 85, and normally I have a pedalboard with about 12 pedals including this one. The Overdrive is fairly clangy on this pedal, especially on my bridge single coil (think Jimi Hendrix or Syd Barret's (hence the name) overdriven tone). But at high Drive levels it make my little Fender 1x12 roar like a dimed Marshall halfstack, and not in a fake way. The pedal is a little bit noisy when its on and your not playing, but otherwise doesn't seem to suck my clean tone at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very sturdy pedal, doesn't sacrifice durability for aesthetics in any way. Its a sold metal box with a stomp Switch and two knobs. If anything the knobs seem a little cheap but the pedal has a rugged look anyway and if the knob were to go missing it might actually look cooler. I gig with this all the time and like I said my pedalboard is 12 hunks of metal banging on one another for all I know when I'm not using it, but I've never had any problems. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 5 years and I currently play in a Shoegaze/Psychedelic band and this pedal is great for raunchy garage rock outs. My other distortion is a Little Big Muff which I use when I need more of a wall of sound, but this thing is plenty loud to match it, maybe even louder. I've gone through NUMEROUS distortion pedal purchases that didn't satisfy me (including Boss DS-1, Boss SD-1 (with and without the Keeley Mod), ProCo RAT, Russian Big Muff, Fender Blender and some cheap DigiTech distortions way back in the day) but I'm going to stick with this on for a while, and if it were lost or stolen I would instantly buy a new one. Its not a problem for someone like me who uses powered pedalboards, but the only feature that would improve the pedal would be a 9v battery slot. Excellent Overdrive pedal. // 10

More Death By Audio reviews rating category latest review