CTM-40 Chromatic Tuner & Metronome Review

4.3
 8.5
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
CTM-40 Chromatic Tuner & Metronome Reviewed by: cdhowell, on april 23, 2013

Ease of Use: The DeltaLab CTM-40 is a combination Tuner & Metronome. I found it easy to use straight out of the box without having to scroll through any instruction manual. The Tuner is a straight forward Chromatic Tuner set to 440 A but can be adjusted in single Hz. The metronome portion has several beat values and can also be adjusted. For example, you can sound off on quarter notes, or adjust to dotted eighth notes. The included instruction manual goes over all adjustments in a simple enough manner. All adjustments are made with a combination of buttons on the front of the unit. It works great in a home setting but could see it as being cumbersome if out in a gig setting. I found the Tuner to be VERY accurate. // 8

Sound: The metronome is easy enough to hear in a practice setting. Instrument IN/OUT bypass caused no hum or pops through amplifier or computer interface. It is a small speaker built into unit so don't expect to hear it over any loud amp settings but works as I expected it too. The tuner I found to be accurate and reliable with both Acoustic and Electric guitars. If you are using this unit to tune an Acoustic instrument the manufacturer suggests quiet surroundings. I did not notice ambient noise to be an issue with my use thus far. You can turn the metronome sound settings off and simply use the LED indicator lights if you would want or have a need for it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I purchased this unit during Guitar Center's Easter sale and have used it daily for about 3 weeks now with no issues. I have not taken the unit out of the house but would not have an issue with doing so from a reliability standpoint. The unit feels solid enough for daily use in and out of a gig bag. It has a built in stand that I don't see as "sturdy" but it hasn't been used much by me. It is a wire fold out stand to prop up the unit for easier viewing. My only concern for a gigging musician would be no backlight on LCD screen in a dark setting and "smallish" buttons for adjustments during a gig. // 8

Overall Impression: As stated previously I purchased this Tuner/Metronome during Guitar Center's Easter Sale. I needed a new but cheap tuner for around the house and a simple gig bag tuner. It serves that purpose very well. The tuner is accurate, the metronome was just a bonus. I paid $12.99 during the sale, I would not pay over $20. I would replace this particular tuner if I damaged it and could get it again for same price. The only concerns I would have about gigging with it would be that the LCD screen is not backlit for darker environments. Also, the adjustment buttons may be a tad small for a dark and busy gig setting. For around the house or throwing in your pocket to have though it is the perfect tuner for what I needed out of it. It is accurate with both electric and acoustic guitars. Ambient noise was not an issue for me with my acoustic guitars. The only other pocket tuner I could compare it too would be like the Ibanez 6PTIT01 Digital Auto Tuner that comes in starter packs. I like the DeltaLab much better and for a pocket tuner I am very satisfied.

// 9

More DeltaLab reviews rating category latest review
+ MD1 Metal Distortion 5.7 Guitar Effects 12/13/2012